Awoo.

The Sonic topic of utter positivity

Speedy

Great topic!smile.png

I know it's overated but I love SA2, I thought the game was great, The Sonic and Shadow levels were fun, this game had a lot of replay value (missions) and the soundtrack was good too, I love how they had different styles of music used for each character, a variety which is also why I also liked parts of 06 mainly because some Adventure elements were brought back such as the hubs, fields and character interactions, going to the same level with different characters (previously done in the first Adventure game). It was great to see them being reintroduced into another game though I only wish they didn't rush the game though I thought there were some interesting gimmicks included in some stages in 06. I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight, mainly because of the fun gameplay (nice paced platforming, exhilarating and good stories but one other reason why is Sonic's characterization, how he was willing to help those in need, his friends, he really grew as a character, his personality was fun too, basically all the reasons that Verte listed. These games also had great soundtracks especially Unleashed which had a more different style of music compared to past games which was a quite a nice change from the usual music they have in Sonic games, I love how Sega have become diverse with their music, kinda makes me feel good about obsessed with Sonic.smile.png

I thought Heroes was a very fun and enjoyable game, I really liked it especially when I was younger, it had great level designs, the team gimmick was pretty clever, quite unique and fun, it also had replay value, quite refreshing from the adventure gameplay. I also liked the mutliplayer mode, very fun addition, the special stages were quite challenging and I like how all teams have different difficulty levels so different type of players can choose which team suits them more (to start off easy or have a bit more of a challenge), pretty good way to get into the Sonic series.

I think Shadow The Hedgehog improved parts of the Heroes gameplay too, controls were more tighter and less slippy which was quite satisfying and I guess it was decent at least and it had some fun parts. I also liked the first two Riders game, I had no problem with the controls, it can take a while to get used to them though but I did eventually and I had fun playing both games, the tracks were very wide and some fun, I thought the sega themed levels were quite unique. I like how you were able to buy and use different type of extreme gear with different skill type characters, I love Sonic and Jet's rivalry, the story for the second game was quite good, it was nice to see Tails and Knuckles have a bit of a role in the game, the scene where Knuckles was reading the description in the Gigan rocks was quite chilling. I also thought the handheld games (Rush and rivals) were pretty fun, it was nice to see some characters shine in these games and we don't see them as much in the main games, I liked Blaze in the rush series, I loved the special stages and once again the soundtrack for both games were unique.

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic OVA is great. Saw it not long ago and didn't even force myself to like it due to

nostalgia

• Thumbs Up 2

I just realized it again today: it's awesome how much love is put into the games. You can look at the classic games, through the Dreamcast era, the modern games, even the spin-offs. They're full of those wonderful little things in the level designs, backgrounds, character movements. Unlike a bunch of other videogames, no Sonic game has stages that look empty. There are always things that are just there to look nice, to add to the atmosphere of the level, to make things feel more alive. You can go through a stage hundreds of times and still find something new. It's a lot of work adding small things like that, but those small things contribute to the experience of playing a Sonic game for me and I always appreciate them. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say it right here and right now.

I love Knuckles' Chaotix.

chaotix_cover.JPG

Knuckles' Chaotix was released in early 1995 for the SEGA 32X, a failed console add-on to the SEGA Genesis. It got mixed reviews from critics, and is mostly forgotten among most Sonic fans, old & new. In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated gems in the Classic era, and in the Sonic series in general. I just love this game with a passion. Everything. Characters, music, stages, bosses, and art style. This is technically Knuckles' own game, which he deserves. As you tell from the title, this is the first game to introduce the Chaotix into the series. They would not be fully introduced back into the franchise until the release of Sonic Heroes, and Mighty would never appear in a Sonic game after this. With that aside, the gameplay is slightly different from that of the formula of the classic games. You still jump, spin dash, collect rings, and destroy badniks, and jump from platform to platform. But there's something new added to the mix. You have a partner along with you, which you are connected by holding two rings, with a magical rubber band between them. This will be annoying at first, especially if you are playing with another person, but you will get used to it. You can perform many co-op actions, such as holding your partner, then throwing him at an enemy or boss. You can also tell your partner to stand still, then let go in order to hit a switch that is a considerable distance from your partner's switch, or go off in a burst of speed. Each character had their own specific skill. Knuckles can glide and climb on walls, Mighty can do a wall jump/kick, Charmy can fly & hover, Vector can do an air boost, and Espio can run up ceilings and walls. The two characters you will absolutely hate are Heavy & Bomb. They are both much slower compared to other characters, and don't have any special abilities. Though an upside is that they are both invincible.

Another thing I love this game is for it's special and bonus stages.

Special Stage

Chaotix_specialstage.png

Bonus Stage

Chaotix_bonus.png

Both of them are very different than special stages in the classic series. But I find them interesting and wacky, and a nice change of pace. In order to access a special stage, like in Sonic 1 & CD, you have to collect 50 rings or more by the time you get to the goal, and jump in a giant ring. Bonus stages can be accessed through giant rings throughout the level once you have 20 or more rings. The equivalent to the Chaos Emeralds in this game are Chaos Rings, which you collect by grabbing a certain mount of blue spheres each time you reach a checkpoint, and eventually the end of the stage, earning your Chaos Ring. You must avoid bottomless pits or obstacles by jumping over them or avoiding them as quickly as possible. If you collect all the 6 Chaos Rings, get a good ending. If you don't, you get a bad ending. (Like most Sonic games at that time.) Bonus stages have ring boxes. Lots of 'em. To impede your progress while falling down the void, there are spike boxes and Eggman monitors, which are there to make you lose the rings you've collected. Touch an exit box, and you're out.

The music in this game is also incredibly underrated. KC gives you some good ol' 32-bit tunes to listen to throughout the whole game. I usually like to listen to the title screen music, Door Into Summer, Speed Slider, & Tube Panic. Bosses in this game are decent, Not great or bad, but decent. This game also gets the prize for having probably one of the most underwhelming final bosses in a Sonic game, Metal Sonic Kai. He takes 18 hits, but it's super easy to hit him as he's vulnerable 95% of the time.

With all that said, again, I love this game, it's one of my favorite Classic Sonic games, and I still play it time to time. It is all too bad that it was released on a failed console add-on. If you don't have this game, I highly recommend it to you. I really hope someday for this is to be released on XBLA, PSN, possibly on the Wii U Virtual Console, and mobile platforms.

Do it, SEGA. My body is ready.

Oh, and let Christian Whitehead/Taxman re-do the game like he did with Sonic CD with the Retro Engine, and make Sonic & Tails (& possibly Metal Sonic) playable after you complete the game, have the option to remove the rubber bands, and have Sonic Crackers playable after you maybe unlock all achievements/trophies? Pleaseeeee? :U

Edited by Fix-It Felix
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh, and I also liked Sonic 1 GG. I liked its zones & music, and how it differentiates from it's 16-bit twin.

Edited by Fix-It Felix
  • Thumbs Up 1

How amazing the artwork, not to mention the concept art, is. Look at that Concept Art topic. ALL of those pieces are amazing.

Sonic is FAST. It separates the Sonic series from all of the other video games. You get to go faster faster fasterfasterfaster! :P But who wouldn't want to be that fast? It's wonderful being able to feel like you're that fast too.

There are so many things you can make fun of. :P Hey, it's true. As long as it's appropriate, of course. wink.png

Totally gotta agree to the guy or gal a few pages back saying they loved Sonic fans. Check out THIS. It's the ultimate collection of happiness... happy.png

Totally gotta agree to the guy or gal a few pages back saying they loved Sonic fans. Check out THIS. It's the ultimate collection of happiness... happy.png

Wow. Just wow. That was absolutely beautiful. Sonic has changed so many people's lives. He encourages people to do their best, tells them to never give up, and just plain inspires them to death. I can't believe how many people feel this way about him.

Sonic, never change, and just keep on running. For me, everybody here on TSS and SSMB, and the rest of your loving fans. :)

Edited by BlueBlurMe

Back to talking about the CD movies (sorry guys), my favourite part was this: (0:49)

I loved dodging things ever since I saw that. smile.png

Edited by BlueBlurMe

Gotta say it, the animation style is really adorable. happy.png

The quick dodging of stuff is probably a classic by now for Sonic; he's doing similar things on various occassions. I guess my favorite part of the video is how he used the spindash to throw that stone after Robotnik. He should do things like that more often. biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking recently that Colours didn't have much in the way of gimmicks and level interaction because of the wisps, but then I played it today and realised it does, it's just a lot more subtle about it. And it's one of the many things that makes me love Colours.

You've got different grounds and water to drill through first of all. But you've also got giant donut loops, running around a water fountain, water fountain springs, jelly rockets to avoid, hovering around a giant ass burger, rollercoasters straight out of Rollercoaster Tycoon, UPSIDE DOWN WATER, schools of fish that allow you to breathe underwater in a bustling underwater city before blasting out (and the engaging isolation left by the quieter music underwater is gone) and meeting a beautiful 3D waterfall section (this is why Aquarium Park Act 6 is my favourite level, folks), pressure plates that blast you high up, several different homing attack targets, that weird miniboss in Asteroid Coaster Act 6, and the juxtaposition of nature and factory in Planet Wisp. It may not be as blatant in it's level gimmicks as the classics or Adventure 1, and it may not quite share the spectacle of Unleashed and Generations, but it's got it's good moments.

Also I needed to bump this back up because it's a shame how quickly it died.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

^True, the way Sonic colours handles the wisp powers was really well executed.

Let me also just mention the music, I particularly love the soundtracks of Sonic Colours, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure.

But right now what's really sticking out is Sonic's theme in Sonic and the Black Knight, I do really like the celtic rock soundtrack generally used in the game, this is a sort of mellow, bittersweet 'make the most out of life while you still can' number rather than the usual 'that doesn't make a lick of sense' lyrics or 'Sonic's gonna kick your ass" to a 'gotta go fast' beat.

(though It doesn't make that much sense I admit)

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic is just way too awesome. Don't care if he's a werehog or being kissed by a human being, he is still the very best. biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, Live Life! I adore that song! :) Sonic games often had so awesome soundtracks...

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic games often had so awesome soundtracks...

Edited by Zero Vi Britannia

No matter how much the series changes, in the end of the day it's just a video game series to me and is all about having fun. I appreciate it for what it is.

I had another thought about this recently. What I also love is how Sonic Team are never afraid to experiment and add new gameplay elements.

What do I mean by this?

256px-Sonic_Heroes_cover.png_-Shadow-the-Hedgehog-GameCube-_.jpg

Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings_coverart.pngSonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg225px-Sonic_and_the_Black_Knight_Cover.jpgsonic-colours.jpg

All have inventive, innovative ideas that add new things to the gameplay. Heroes and Colours especially.

Oh, and in an age where most games are filled with violence and gore, it's nice to still see a bright, happy cartoon world. Where the mascot is still rooted firmly in the 90s and says things like:

Not cool!

Rather than

Holy Sh*t!

Oh Sonic, how I love you...

Edited by Paradox
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think that Sonic 06 was a good game. Silver is an awesome character! And the final battle with

Solaris

is great.

The ability for Shadow to activate Chaos Blast when his special gauge is full is a great feature. The Speed Run in Wave Ocean is one of my favorite parts of the game! Also the soundtrack for the game is unforgettable. His World, All Hail Shadow, and Dreams of Absolution are amazing!

I love this tune so much!

I was also just discussing Sonic Unleashed CG models and how they are awesome, the in-game models are really good too, not far off from the CG ones, the only notable differences in the actual models is the eyes, in the CG they irridesce,in-game they don't.

Those eyes are fantasticeyeshine.png

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

I'd like to say that I find Colour's story under-appreciated. People dismiss it just because it goes overboard with humor. But I personally really like the "another-day-in-the-life" feel it has, like it's just another day of fighting Eggman for Sonic and Tails. I feel doing that as a plot is a great thing, once and a while.

• Thumbs Up 8

How Colors has possibly my favorite Sonic soundtrack ever. I love the effort and variety that went into the soundtrack. I've been listening to Planet Wisp and Asteroid Coaster since I've first heard them. I'd play this soundtrack any day because of how good it is.

Speaking of Colors, I'm starting to love it more and more every time I play it. It might even become my new favorite Sonic game. The most creative game in the series, by far! :D

• Thumbs Up 4

Never had much of an opinion of the Adventure games having never played SA2 and having finally played SA1 for the first time on PSN last year. I have only ever completed Sonic's story in SA1.

However, I have now decided to complete every characters story and fully complete SA1 at last. I have to admit I like the story element of SA1. It's great how the characters cross each others stories.

Just completed Tails story for the first which is pretty cool. It's funny how Tails flying animation in SA1-especially when he gets tired and starts to fall, seems VERY similar to Tails animation in Sonic 4 Ep2. Also, when Tails carries Amy in SA1 he grabs one of her arms with both of his hands like in Ep2. I am not critising this. I just find it interesting.

I also really like the music in Twinkle Park which is of course similar to White Park Zone 2.

I am really starting to like SA1.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I think Tails played better in SA1 than any other 3D game, his flight is great and it's a shame his levels don't last longer as I enjoy them a lot. And the tension where Tails has to run off to race Eggman in Speed Highway, this funky bustling city which may be at the very brink of disaster, was great.

Oh and I love Rush Adventure too. Great zone tropes with varied level gimmicks, a sailing gimmick that sometimes plays quite similarly to the levels, improvement on the level design with Rush's cheap bottomless pits and overly long segments, some of the best bosses in the series, and a fantastic soundtrack. This is definitely my favourite Dimps title.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think Jix Hedgehog put it best when there's nothing to talk about Colors. It's nearly flawless as a Sonic game. I underestimated it when it was being made, but it surprised the hell out of me in every way. The 2D platforming, to me, was MUCH better than 4 Episode 1's mediocre platforming, the soundtrack is probably my favorite in the series, the game looked stunning with my favorite looking Zones being Starlight Carnival and Planet Wisp, the story, while simplistic, was helped thanks to brilliant writing and jokes, with new VA's that are welcome to me. The Wisps (every Wisp, yes, including Blue Wisp :D) enhanced the platforming, and didn't become a gimmick, with my favorites being Pink Spikes, and Green Hover. While I would've liked the 3D parts to be a bit more controllable, and needed 3D platforming, it's just amazing. I wish to see another Sonic game in the vain of this one.

Oh, and I love the fact that Eggman is the villain again, the Final Boss is Eggman, doesn't need the Chaos Emeralds. hell, they aren't even in the plot, and that the game is just fantastic. This is the true Sonic title for the Wii! :D