Awoo.

The Sonic topic of utter positivity

Speedy

Favorite character? It's a draw in my case.

I can positively second Joker on Knuckles. I adore Red Rad. He's cool, he can fly, he kick ass and he's got a huge glowing magic rock on a floating island. I mean, really. That alone is totally badass. On a deeper level, I like Knuckles for a lot more things than that. I like his personality, he's a lot more complex than he seems once you look closer. There's an adorable kid beneath his shell.

The one tying with Knux is Sonic. How couldn't you like Sonic? wink.png

... The Joker? I don't think he was a Sonic character...

*imagines the Joker as a villain in a Sonic game*

I like the idea... Screw batman, we'll fight him with an army of killer chao! cool.png

I know one day he'll finally make his grand return. >=D

I don't mind Shadow, but I will not lie about something.

I always found it epic that in both Archie and Fleetway, the worst enemy Silver has ever fought is the product of one great battle.

What battle is that?

Sonic vs. Knuckles. In Archie, Dark Enerjak crushed his Super Sonic and reigned unopposed. In Fleetway, Super Sonic overpowered Knuckles (in all likelihood, given Knuckles' ability to sap chaos energy right out of you with his Gray Emerald) and burned the world to ash instead.

Seeing their iconic rivalry taken to such a logical extreme has always made me just a bit giddy.

words

You sir have just won the thread. Congratulations.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

Positive mode: GO!

pic8.jpg

This motherfucker right here. This guy... this is the fucking guy right here. Back in the day man, he was this rad red motherfucker who kicked ass and ate grapes, and he was all outta grapes. He was why I loved this series the way I did, guys, this Rastafarian red piece of shit flexed his muscles and never chuckled unlike that stupid asshole Sonic, he ripped down walls with his fuck-off-huge fists without even noticing they were there, man, he could fly with his goddamned dreadlocks, he was the one and only insane motherfucker that is Knuckles the Echidna. I loved this guy with every goddamn ounce of positivity in my scrawny little being.

Then 2006-2012 happened ;_;

But do I care? Hell naw, man. The time when this guy was that red Jamaican who meant serious fucking business was one hell of a ride, and even if they appear to be decreasing his IQ and likability, not to mention he isn't even one of the deuteragonists (alongside his bro Miles "Tails" Prower) anymore, even if you'd think they were TRYING to make a certain black-and-red Hedgehog whose name escapes me seem like a superior character, Knux will always be why I got into this series and one of the best freakin' things it ever created. I know one day he'll finally make his grand return. >=D

pftt. I hope I'm not offending you, but I feel you're underselling Knuckles a bit, so if you don't mind:

Knuckles is possibly among my top favorite characters in the series, there was just something about him that gravitated me towards him. I know everyone likes to paint him as the biggest idiot this side of the globe, and Sega have done nothing but justify those opinions by making him exactly that, but when Knuckles is truly written well, he has the potential to be one of the most interesting characters in the series.

-First off, his personality, on the surface, he's your stereotypical tough guy character, who just wants to fuck with the protagonist. But if you look at some of the extra material, Knuckles is probably harboring a deep inferiority complex, particularly towards Sonic. Think about it, Sonic always gets to go out on grand adventures, is recognized by many as a great hero, and is probably idolized by a good portion of the planet. Knuckles meanwhile is tasked with guarding a jewel of ultimate power to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands, but since not many people probably know Angel Island exists, Knuckles` efforts are all but ignored; no hero worship, no thank you, and he hardly gets the respect you'd expect of someone in his position. And to add insult to injury, he was tricked into helping the guy trying to conquer his island, and when he tried to fight back, he's swatted aside while Sonic is the one who saves the day, effectively being upstaged on his home turf. But does he complain? Hell no, Knuckles is too tough for that shit, he just takes it in stride and continues his job, regardless of the recognition or respect, most people would either commit suicide or just say fuck it.

Secondly, I love his dynamics with most of the cast, particularly Sonic & Rouge; As I mentioned, the dude is packing a massive inferiority complex towards Sonic, so he takes any attempt he can get to upstage him, or subvert his status as leader, while Sonic also enjoys taking the piss out of him as well. Their lifestyles and values are so different, Sonic being the free spirited wanderer with no responsibilities, and Knuckles being a hermit committed to his task as guardian. Logically these two just shouldn't be friends, and yet they've always had each other's backs when it counts, and would gladly fight alongside each other. It stands out because it mirrors real life friendships as well, that no matter how much you may insult or abuse your friends, they're still your friends through and through. If Tails is Sonic's right-hand man, then Knuckles is his strong right-arm.

Second is Rouge. Now when you look at Knuckles, he really doesn't seem like the type that wouldn't be interested in girls, let alone ones such as Rouge, and hell he even voices his disgust towards her and yet he is almost always concerned for her safety when she's in danger around him. Now why would Knuckles, whom guards one of the most priceless gems in existence be interested in someone as amoral as Rouge, a jewel thief, who by all rights is his natural enemy? Well let's remember that Knuckles has probably never had real interaction with girls before Rouge, secondly it's pretty obvious Knuckles values strength and fight, it's part of his heritage after all. So here comes this woman trying to steal his shit, and when he finally confronts her about it? She fights him to a standstill, this random woman has the skill to go toe-to-toe with one of the most powerful characters in the series, it's like the equivalent of meeting a hot girl who plays video games, and could kick your ass in them too. Lastly, it's pretty damn amusing seeing how flustered he gets when she flirts and/or insults him.

And last, his moveset, ok it's not secret that characters like Blaze, Shadow, and Silver get a lot more recognition and focus as far as fanwork is concerned, it's understandable, stopping/slowing down time, psychokinesis, and pyrokinesis are generally seen as interesting powers, and Knuckles is mostly super strength, which is a pretty common and generic power. HOWEVER, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, this becomes an infinitely badass power. Ok, since Knuckles is strong, his body obviously needs to be built like a tank to withstand the force of his strength, same thing with Sonic's speed, which means that his resilance is off the fucking wall; you could probably beat him halfway to hell, and he'll probably treat it as a love tap, badass. Also, most of the characters need to either spin, use a hammer, or use their fancy powers to take down most enemies, Knuckles just simply punches them until they stay down, I'll say it again; he literally beats the shit out of you until you're down the dude is a monster at close quarters combat, and appears to know his own form of martial arts. So yeah, what if Knuckles doesn't have all of those fancy powers, he's durable enough to eat that shit and dish it right back out.

....SO yeah, Knuckles is kind of awesome, and I pray for the day when Sega realize this and treat him with the respect he deserves.

• Thumbs Up 8

I, too, will make a long post. I had this in mind for some time already, and this thread seems like the perfect opportunity to voice it. Now, I'm not here to take a jab at the fanbase or any part of it, nor do I desire to perpetuate the notion of "bad Sonic fandom", unlike what the first few paragraphs may suggest. The point is to be positive and praise something I like. I digress, here it is.

--

A lot of people, especially those outside the Sonic fanbase, ask themselves why they are people never happy with the games that SEGA does. Even when SEGA seems to struggle and put their heart into a game, they still cannot agree among themselves. Why is that? Why is the general "image" of Sonic a poor one?

Now, now, calm down. Like I said, this is not a jab at the fanbase. I'll explain everything now. But to explain this, one must understand how it all began. So I'll tell you a bit about the history of Sonic and SEGA and how he came to be one of the most recognizable characters in video games.

The start

SEGA was about to make their first real attempt of going against Mario. They essentially wanted a "cooler" character that could stand up to him, and one that was good for the whole public; and that made the character. As for the game, there is a somewhat obscure reason for choosing speed: the Mega Drive's biggest advantage against the SNES was a faster processor. So, they wanted a cool character that was fast and universally recognizable as so. And just like that, Sonic the Hedgehog was born.

116px-Sonic_67.png

Making a character purposely "cool" is not an easy task, historically. But Sonic was indeed a rare case of a well-accepted character of that archetype. Sonic was a success, not only as a character but as a game too. He was an unique twist on the platforming genre.

The split

Now that's where things get interesting. The story presented in Sonic games was simply "a mad scientist takes animals and turns them into robots, Sonic comes and saves them". A plot quite open to interpretation. And that's exactly what happened. SEGA gave freedom to write different interpretations in comics and cartoons.

That's when the fandom first "cracked" into several divisions. For example we have the AoStH continuity, in which Sonic is a mix of Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner; the Archie/SatAM base, where Sonic fights for freedom in a dark world, the Fleetway/Manga story where events went close to the games. There are others that are just as important, because in times with no internet, interpretations were up to everybody. I've met people who thought Robotnik was a pile of dirty laundry, even, due to the Game Gear's graphics.

As you can notice the Sonic fandom was born divided with different visions of Sonic the Hedgehog. Despite the game being the same for everyone, it is intriguing how the story that ran in the head of these young people was totally different.

The franchise evolves

When it was released, the Playstation impressed players with their 3D games, and SEGA was pressured to adapt. The market screamed "We want 3D!". The Saturn tried, with 3D Blast or Sonic R, but those were merely experiments. The first serious attempt, Sonic X-Treme, was very wonky and never came to be. And for five years fans played Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Those three games became rooted in the minds of the fans.

And after those five years, players finally saw Sonic move to 3D in SEGA's new console, the Dreamcast. Clearly the product of years of development, Sonic Adventure innovated in many respects. The graphics were amazing for the time, had six different characters, each with their own stories and play styles, a world exploitable numerous parallel activities, with a concrete storyline. Today a lot of people hate it, but at the time, the pros far outweighted the cons.

A house divided

And then the Dreamcast died. However, SEGA noticed their fandom had split, this time not culturally, but in taste. People from the classic era who liked the Adventure games, those who didn't, those who became fans with the new games...

Among this, Sonic Heroes was born. The concept was solid, colorful stages in the style of classic Sonic, but with a team of three different characters. Even if it lacked polish, so far so good. Then, a character who eventually became very popular was Shadow the Hedgehog. Due to such popularity, he got his own game with a poll. On release, however, the game proved to be highly controversial. A bomb was set. Anything Sonic Team did badly would blow the bomb up and turn the already-shattered fandom into crumbs. It was a very difficult situation for SEGA; yet, they drop it. Yes, 2006.

Zero tolerance

Now we can understand this. The fans could never forget those two elements again; and started judging games not by themselves, but by the past. And more importantly, they started seeing everything with a microscope, meaning, things that before were accepted, now were bad. For the internet Sonic now needed to be "saved" and a plethora of articles have been written detailing how. It is here that one realizes exactly how the fandom is broken in every article. Each "How to save Sonic" seen on the web is radically different from each other. Fans were in madness until recent releases.

Disintegration

So far I have only described how the fanbase came to be shaken to such level, taking into account various events that gradually cracked it for 15 years. We are still far from finishing however. Let's go back to the big question of this post: Why? How does Sonic continue to hold up?

The only possible reason for such a contradictory fanbase to continue staying together, is because everyone needs to agree simply that the games were good enough to allow for tolerance between each base. What this means, is that while the fandom was more divided than ever, they all wanted Sonic going back to its original quality. However, each person has a different definition of what it considers to be quality for Sonic.

Examples of good design that are ignored

Among all this havoc, five games appeared:

sonicportables.jpg

Like them or not, the Sonic Advance games was a good mix of old and new. More surprising was that all were unique, never being a repetition of one another. Now let's see the characteristics that made Sonic be worshiped in the past - dynamic platforming, puzzles, momentum, and sequences badniks you kill to get to the end of the level. Advance took all of those, and with each installment, improved their uses. Even more, they brought new mechanics too.

Sonic Rush took the concepts of Advance 2 and increased speed. Meanwhile, Sonic Rush Adventure, provided a more polished experience, adding a pleasant "adventure", new elements and some of the best bosses in the series.

See what I'm getting at? You may like them more or less, but they are definitely "good" games. Or at least, they fill most of what the fanbase wants, even in its broken state, but are ignored for whatever reason (perhaps for being spin offs?). In my vision, and this being the topic of utter positivity, they are a groundwork for creating successful Sonic games.

Pleasing everybody

While all the world wondered "What ruins Sonic? What can save him?", the truth for SEGA was: the kids love it. And that is a correct thought. Who keeps SEGA in the business? It is really surprising that SEGA prefer to please children? No it is not. All you need to do is look at things from an outside perspective. Put aside your opinions and put yourself in the place of SEGA. Video games cost money and have to make money.

But a lot of people don't care. They say the kids aren't true fans, or aren't faithful to Sonic's roots, or that they are stupid and will like any crap. And that is an hilarious statement. Why? Take a look at Sonic 4, an attempt to please old fans. Now look at Sonic Colors, a game that was made for kids. Now which game does the "hardcore" fandom prefer? It's Colors, the game made with the structure they claim to hate.

That's my first point, you can't claim to hate Sonic for "being made for children". Now my second point, they try to please both audiences.

Look at modern game libraries. There is an increasing amount of "mature" games. Like I said, many believe "bad" Sonic games sell well because kids are stupid and have no taste. In reality, it's because Sonic is one of the best games for kids that exists, due to the aforementioned mature games being the majority.

Just look at this Black Knight scene:

Regardless of your taste for the game, it is cool to see. Sonic dueling a knight in the sunset is great to see regardless of your age or when you joined the fanbase. However, it is also good for children. This is something that none of the other developers are doing. They become so focused on older demographics they have forgotten that children still play video games.

The thing is

Even though their money comes from new fans and kids, SEGA still does stuff to care for the devoted fandom. Look at everything we like, they don't have to do that. They'd earn enough money to cover their expenses if they didn't. But they still do it. Nobody can say SEGA has abandoned them, it does not really have. We fans are completely ignorant to think that they do not care for us.

SEGA only has to please their target demographic, but they put a little effort in for us.

And that's why I love you, Sega.

• Thumbs Up 8

Wasn't there an essay written just like that?

Also, I really want to make a long post explaining why Blaze and Marine (yes you read me) are some of the better characters for me (and why Nega is the character that most deserves to be retconned out of existance), but I don't know how to do that. Booo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't there an essay written just like that?

Also, I really want to make a long post explaining why Blaze and Marine (yes you read me) are some of the better characters for me (and why Nega is the character that most deserves to be retconned out of existance), but I don't know how to do that. Booo.

It's okay, man.

Raccoon Renegades, represent.

No, it was titled "Sonic and the Worst Fandom Ever", I believe.

They say the kids aren't true fans, or aren't faithful to Sonic's roots, or that they are stupid and will like any crap. And that is an hilarious statement. Why? Take a look at Sonic 4, an attempt to please old fans. Now look at Sonic Colors, a game that was made for kids. Now which game does the "hardcore" fandom prefer? It's Colors, the game made with the structure they claim to hate.

Oh gosh, I really do hate it when Sonic fans totally discredit the kids, they are not that stupid.

Discrediting kids is stupid anyway. We've all been kids, and most people that are today hardcore Sonic fans started as little kids playing their first games. In a way I think the fact that many of those hardcore fans aren't satisfied with the modern games is caused by them having fond memories of playing the classics when they were kids and want a new game to give them the same feeling they got when playing older games. It's not really about the quality of the new games, it's a lot of nostalgia and things like that involved. Sadly, most people kind of forget how to just enjoy something without looking around for flaws when they grow up. And those that don't find themselves in forums trying to reason with the pessimists. wink.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Come to think about it, something I like in Sonic games is the unique character design of the characters.

post-4537-0-95491600-1354440747_thumb.pn

The character design is very quirky, and a bit cartoony looking. It's different from the usual design of anthromorphic characters.

Edited by colorfulzones104

• 2 weeks later...

Night of the Werehog was French-done, right? No wonder it's pretty nicely done, I'd say. The French make some awesome animations and stories.

The French made Underground... colouring errors, off model characters, SatAM on drugs with songs... yeah.

The French made Underground... colouring errors, off model characters, SatAM on drugs with songs... yeah.

Hey! Keep the thread utterly positive! Don't mention that cartoon D:

Night of the Werehog was French-done, right? No wonder it's pretty nicely done, I'd say. The French make some awesome animations and stories.

Err nope!

It's made by Marza Animation Planet,a Japan-based animation studio.

The same folks that make all the wonderful CGI material for Sonic and some other Sega-related franchises. smile.png

Err nope!

It's made by Marza Animation Planet,a Japan-based animation studio.

The same folks that make all the wonderful CGI material for Sonic and some other Sega-related franchises. smile.png

Well there we go x) I thought the French were involved in this somewhere, but wasn't sure about that CGI.

*Long post*

I couldn't agree with you more. =3

Also, I have to say that I really enjoy how expressive Sonic could be in that short and how the emotions were portrayed.

Edited by Christmas Blaire

NOTW and Unleashed had some darn good character expressions and animations. Sonic's model animation in Unleashed is smoother than the finest silk and the subtlety behind his body language suited his often quiet nature as well in that game. The way he looks in this cutscene...that level of stricknen-ness just doesn't seem possible for Sonic yet it was done so well blink.png

1huno1.png

Poor Sonic....but amazingly well done expression through that model.

I like Generations' more exagerrated animation too. Found Sonic's body language when he notices the prized Chili Dog missing from his hand hysterical.

• Thumbs Up 6

NOTW and Unleashed had some darn good character expressions and animations. Sonic's model animation in Unleashed is smoother than the finest silk and the subtlety behind his body language suited his often quiet nature as well in that game. The way he looks in this cutscene...that level of stricknen-ness just doesn't seem possible for Sonic yet it was done so well blink.png

1huno1.png

Poor Sonic....but amazingly well done expression through that model.

I absolutely agree with you. That image made me think of something that I forgot to mention in my post in the 'Sonic Unleashed-Four Years Later' topic in regards to Sonic's characterization: his selflessness (not to be confused with selfishness). Sonic after being stricken was so weak that the couldn't move temporarily and was defenseless. Dark Gaia was about to attack Sonic and Chip when Sonic said "Chip. Run, Chip!"

Basically Sonic was saying for Chip to save himself as there was nothing that Sonic could do, even for himself. Despite Sonic being uncharacteristically weak and worn down, he was more concerned about the well-being of Chip more than himself. If anyone was going to be harmed by Dark Gaia, Sonic wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be Chip by telling him to flee.

Of course, this is not the first time we've seen Sonic demonstrate this quality. There is another example of Sonic's selflessness in Sonic and the Secret Rings. When Sonic held up the White World Ring to open the palace gates, he collasped. It's very obvious that Sonic is in a lot of pain when he collasped, yet he refused to let his guard down nor allow Shahra to worry about him or place the blame on herself for Sonic being struck with that flame. Sonic didn't want to show that he was in pain; therefore the half-hearted chuckle trying to cover it up, which he was trying to do so Shahra wouldn't worry about him. This selfless attitude of Sonic deeply impressed me, as he was more concerned about Shahra's morale and the last person he was thinking about was himself, despite all the pain he was in.

That is such an impressive quality! It's probably the quality that Sonic has that I love the most. I love Sonic's character as a whole (flaws included!) so it would be pretty tough for me to boil down what quality of his that is my favorite. But Sonic's selflessness speaks boldly for itself. smile.png

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 6