Awoo.

The Tails (or Miles) topic

Burnt Ash

I really wish we had those topic tags, I had some in mind....

Anyway, so, we have a Knuckles topic. We have a Shadow topic. But...no Tails topic (well, at least I don't think so). A topic on what to do with Tails, how to make Tails better, etc. And this shall be that topic!

So, we have Tails. From Sonic 2 to Sonic 3, Tails was a fresh, awesome, brand new character, introduced as a sidekick/little brother of some sorts to Sonic. Also, he was pretty fun to play as in these two games. In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, Tails has more of an independent role from Sonic, doing his own thing rather than sticking by Sonic's side at all time. In Sonic Heroes, he tags along with Sonic and Knuckles to save the day from Dr. Eggman. Playing as Tails (or any other flying character) wasn't very...fun due to the very slow speed and flying not really being utilized properly in the game. Then we come to Sonic 06, where Tails tags along with Sonic on the quest to save Princess Elise. His gameplay in this game is somewhat of a blend between his SA1 gameplay (flying) and his Heroes gameplay (dummy rings). To me at least, Tails felt like one of the better amigo characters to play as. After Sonic 06, Tails is also one of the few characters that was still around in the main series, however, he isn't playable in them. He was there in Unleashed, he was there in Colors, and he was definitely there in Generations. Well, what does he do? In Unleashed, he was kinda just there whenever you needed to fly somewhere, in Colors, he tagged along with Sonic (re-establishing bro status between them) and built an alien language translator thingy, and in Generations, he had somewhat of a more active role; giving advice to Sonic while tagging along with Sonic. Well, as of right now...Tails doesn't really do anything on his own. So I guess that's why I'm making this topic, to answer the question: "Just what can we do with Tails right now? What can we do to make him an even better character?", among other things regarding Tails.

Thoughts?

I think Sonic Team has been handling Tails pretty decently as of late. I mean, he's the guy who makes all the plans in Colors and in Generations he deduces everything that's going on.

What I would want from him as of now if to get a little more proactive (Episode II) and join Sonic in on his fights with Eggman, instead of just cheering from the sidelines.

• Thumbs Up 3

The first thing that needs to happen is for him to be fully playable.

"~I wanna fly high~"

But Dimps won't let me.

Maybe in the next main game Tails, maybe.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd say Tails doesn't really need as much major work as a lot of the other cast. They seem to be handling him pretty well lately, especially in the case of Colors/Generations, so it's hard to come up with other suggestions besides "make him playable." He's in pretty much every story lately. And being Sonic's sidekick he doesn't really need that much of a reason to show up, which can't be said about characters like Knuckles, Shadow or Blaze.

But I guess I'd like to see more emphasis on him growing and being recognized as a hero on his own, without forgetting that he's already done some growing in games like Sonic Adventure.

"~I wanna fly high~"

But Dimps won't let me.

Maybe in the next main game Tails, maybe.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record to the people who actually read my posts (i.e, none of you) but can we stop acting like Dimps has sole responsibility for everything to do with Sonic 4? People act like SEGA had no control or didn't get a final say.

Plus, the games made without Dimps have had even less playable Tails in the past few years.

• Thumbs Up 3

But I guess I'd like to see more emphasis on him growing and being recognized as a hero on his own, without forgetting that he's already done some growing in games like Sonic Adventure.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record to the people who actually read my posts (i.e, none of you) but can we stop acting like Dimps has sole responsibility for everything to do with Sonic 4? People act like SEGA had no control or didn't get a final say.

Nobody's acting like that, it's called a joke.

Edit, response to post below: It's cool man.

Oh and uh to keep it ontopic/ Tails is one of the characters I really have no problem or see any huge flaws with. He's got that charm that I can never get angry at him for doing something stupid (If ever). He's slowy but surely, from over the past 20 years, maturing from the role that people views him as just Sonic's sidekick, not only as Sonic's best friend, but into his own character as well.

Basically I view him as the Luigi of the series, only with more respect and personality.

Edited by Nintendoga

Nobody's acting like that, it's called a joke.

My mistake, I guess, but it's hard to tell because a lot of people aren't joking when they say stuff like that.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Characterwise Tails has been doing pretty good recently, especially in Colors. Strip out the crappy jokes and you've got a character with some actual personality who can interact with Sonic like a genuine friend, as opposed to the very vague associate he was before (and that, honestly, a lot of the cast is or has been).

Gameplaywise, tho'...in the main series he hasn't been anything remotely good since SA. And while I could argue the same for most of the cast, for Sonic's sidekick to get shafted like that...it's pretty bad. And unfortunately with the gameplay the way it's been, I don't see him being of much use.

• Thumbs Up 6

To be honest, aside from him being playable again, I kinda want to see what Tails can do by himself again.

I would love for a game with just something involving Tails. He's such a great charterer, and has never really been on the bad side in modern games.

VOTE TAILS 2012

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love for a game with just something involving Tails. He's such a great charterer, and has never really been on the bad side in modern games.

VOTE TAILS 2012

• Thumbs Up 2

Tails is the reason I ever became a part of SSMB in the first place. He's the cutest thing ever imagined in AoStH and SatAM and I'm pathetically obsessed with the fuzzy bastard. Have been since I was about 7 years old.

Tails is possibly the only character who's getting out of the "Solo Sonica" rut, he actually has a personality again instead of just being a walking toolkit for Sonic to use, and some real chemistry with Sonic as well, he's (not so)playable in Episode 2, a definite step up from from the past five years.

I just wish....he had more chances to show off his prowess without Sonic's help, I mean I love the whole tag team him and Sonic got going on, but Tails should get some moments of awesome for himself as well. That's my only real gripe with him, otherwise he's fine the way he is, his role doesn't need a massive contrived reason like everyone else's apparently does, so I'm glad for that.

Simply put, Tails is absolutely adorable. He has some admirable qualities too, being intelligent, kind-hearted and extremely loyal to Sonic as a sidekick and best friend just to mention a few. I also think Tails portrays the "little brother" role very well. I've said this time and time again, but I really love the bromance between Sonic and Tails despite their differences, notably the 7-year (this may no longer be accurate after Sonic's birthday in Sonic Generations) age gap between them. Because of this one usually always associates the two of them together.

This is why I was so throughly irritated and disgusted with Sonic Underground. I was trying to figure out how in the world could a Sonic cartoon exist without Tails? Because with the exception of Sonic 1 and Sonic 4 Episode 1 (if I am forgetting any other game excuse me as nothing else is coming to mind) Tails has pretty much been present in every Sonic game to some degree, along with being present in the 3 other Sonic cartoons and the OVA as well. My point being with Tails as Sonic's best friend one would expect him to be there whenever and wherever Sonic is. Sonic and Tails are usually together, whether it's in the games or other forms of media. So not having Tails there made absolutely no sense to me.

Anyway. I thought that Sonic Colors had the best characterization of Tails. He defintely showed himself as the "little brother" in the brotherly rapport that Sonic and Tails have. Sonic was always cracking jokes at Tails, and Tails made a point to "flip the script" by making fun back at Sonic (the dead robot cutscene comes to mind). When Dr. Eggman was about to fire his mind control ray at Sonic, Tails pushed him out of harm's way, and took the hit. Tails had no idea what the ray could do but without thinking about himself, he saved Sonic's life with the possibility of him dying if in fact that was the purpose of the ray. Tails immediately reacted being more concerned with Sonic's welfare than that of his own. That was both incredible and impressive showing me that Tails has a lot of heart and character. And of course Tails showed himself to be very smart by converting the Miles Electric into a translator and was able to tweak and adjust it to get down what Yakker was saying perfectly.

Now if Sonic Team would keep up this potrayal of Tails (in my opinion), that would be great. Not to mention make Tails fully playable as others have mentioned in future Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Tails has been still very much part of the story, and I like how Tails isn't sucking up to Sonic and treating him more like an equal, since Colors.

The only problem with Tails is that, if he's played again, he'd just be a slower Sonic clone that can fly. Which isn't bad, per se, but with characters like Cream, Rouge, Charmy -- flying lost its novelity. With characters like Knuckles, he can dig around and box and even glide.

But what he does have is mechanical genuis that rivals Eggman. If there was a way that Tails could utilize that without getting too much like his SA2 feature or too (laughable) grittiness of Shadow the Hedgehog, then we'd be talking.

He's been important to the stories, as I said, but not too much past that. But even in the stories, it's kinda been "meh."

Edited by WIttyUsername

If Tails is to get an evil counterpart that isn't Eggman/Wave, bring back the Tails Doll.

If Tails is to get an evil counterpart that isn't Eggman/Wave, bring back the Tails Doll.

i'm iffy on that. It just seems that's the equal of putting Internet Memes on TV. Because it is. Kinda.

Edited by WIttyUsername

I like Tails. He and Espio are my favorite characters. His writing has gotten better the last two games, his interactions with Sonic are great and they actually feel like brothers now, but I feel he's still pretty useless. He doesn't do anything that actually helps Sonic in the games. The translator in Colors didn't work until the end and Sonic didn't need it to realize what Eggan was up to. In Generations... What did he do, I can't remember? He just appeared and hung out with Sonic, which is OK I guess, seeing as he's not even pretending to be useful. I guess there was classic Sonic's mission with him. I'd like to see Tails at least following Sonic in levels if they don't want to make him playable. Still, I want to see him be fully playable again and have him move away from just being the technician. It was nice to see him in Episode 2, even if I don't like forced teamplay.

Then we come to Sonic 06, where Tails tags along with Sonic on the quest to save Princess Elise. His gameplay in this game is somewhat of a blend between his SA1 gameplay (flying) and his Heroes gameplay (dummy rings). To me at least, Tails felt like one of the better amigo characters to play as.

Seriously? I hated him in it. He's extremely slow and has an annoying attack. He wasn't fun at all. It didn't even feel like Tails.

Stop fucking me over in Sonic 2 you buttmonkey.

But yeah, Tails is pretty cool when he isn't clinging to Sonic. Was a badass in SA1 and SA2.

Tails: "Well I have to say saving the world is an awful lot of fun even with Sonic hogging the limelight."

Sonic "Oh fuck you Miles. 20 years on and you still have that attitude!''.

Of course I'm only joking. I think the bond with Sonic and Tails is one of the strongest bonds between two characters in video game history.

Of all the characters, Tails is easily my favourite. Back in the early 90's Tails was great as Sonic's best friend in AOSTH and even as the little brother type character in satAM. It's interesting that whilst a 3rd season of satAM was never made, the intention (as I understand it) was for Tails to become a major character in the 3rd season and that it would have been him who was the key to saving mobius. So clearly the writers liked Tails an awful lot, and the character had only existed for what just over a year?

I think that if Sonic was fighting for his life against Eggman and a thousand robots, then out of all of the characters it would be Tails who would be by Sonic's side everytime fighting with him.

As for the Sonic games, I first played Tails in Sonic 2 on the mega drive/genesis. Tails of course could fly AI controlled, but the player couldn't fly as Tails. SEGA took that away for some reason. I wonder why? Surely they weren't worried about Tails upstaging Sonic? It was still nice being able to play as another character. When Sonic 3 came out and Tails was allowed to fly, then that added a whole new element to the gameplay and made Tails inclusion in future games absolutely essential. Tails isn't as fast as Sonic but the flying and swimming more than make up for that. You could reach places that Sonic never could.

Of course Sonic had the elemental shields which improved his gameplay. Playing as Sonic & Tails allowed Tails to carry Sonic which was a lot of fun. To be perfectly honest it was arguably more fun playing as Tails alone in S3 or S3&K. You could find hidden rings/lives more easily (or ones that Sonic could not reach). Access more starpost-bonus stages. It was easier to finish an act with 999 rings as Tails, which I have done rather a lot.

Whilst you could play as Tails in S3&K, you couldn't in S&K and you do have to wonder why. We all know why S&K was created but SEGA not releasing S3&K on PSN means I can't play as Tails in the S&K levels which makes me very sad.

With S4 Ep2 you clearly see that Tails improved the gameplay and replay ability compared to Ep1. Lets face it he improves Sonic. It was the same with Sonic CD. I was always going to by that game on the PSN, but when they announced that Tails was unlockable I was so hyped. Lets also not forget the excellent Sonic 2 vs mode.

So I feel that Tails should be a fully playable character in every Sonic game in order to keep the series more popular.

I wouldn't change anything about Tails. Although, being able to transform into Super Tails after collecting the chaos emeralds (not the super emeralds) would be nice.

Long live Tails!

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Anyone else think Tails has gotten too tall since '06? His legs look way to long in my eyes.

I tried to edit the Generations model in Paint to show how I'd think it's better.

tailsss.png

Not perfect, but I like him shorter better. Also, make his tails bushier.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else think Tails has gotten too tall since '06? His legs look way to long in my eyes.

I tried to edit the Generations model in Paint to show how I'd think it's better.

tailsss.png

Not perfect, but I like him shorter better. Also, make his tails bushier.

Well he is a kid, he's probably growing.

• 1 year later...

The more I'm thinking about it, the more Tails' portrayal in Sonic Lost World is growing on me.

There are still those two things I can't forgive him for ("Ya think?" and "No you don't you trust Eggman more". I can't stand those istances, they just sound wrong for me), but for the rest, he's nearly perfect.

Some can say he was too perfect

as the story emphasized his role in saving the world more than Sonic's

and maybe they are right.

But I like to think that, since he debuted 21 years ago and SEGA didn't even bother to celebrate his 20th birthday, a more-than-deuteragonist role is the least Tails can deserve as a belated birthday present smile.png

Speaking of Tails in general... I love this little guy. He's a loyal friend, he's a phenomenal genius, and he's incredibly adorable.

As an 8-bit sprite or a detailed piece of artwork, as Classic or Modern, he was, is, and forever will be one of -if not THE- cutest character in the history of everything.

tumblr_mz2tkhOsV21rxye8eo1_500.gif

I think Tails role in SLW was actually fine for the most part. The only problem was that it had no buildup whatsoever and loses a good chunk of drama as a result. But stuff like saving Sonic from the trap, not giving a single fuck when he was captured, rewiring the robot machine so he still had free will and turning on the D6 in protest, I thought those were cool moments for him personally.