Awoo.

External Linking: Couldn't Tabs/Windows be used instead?

JonoD

This is going to sound like an incredibly trivial thing to suggest, but is it possible for links to external pages to be opened into new tabs/windows instead of navigating you away from SSMB?

Whilst I understand that it can just be as simple as right-clicking and 'Opening in new Tab', I can't recall the number of times I've just clicked a link, forgetting it's taking me away from the forum itself and then closing it after viewing and realising that the page I was reading through on SSMB has also been closed with it (meaning I need to re-navigate back to the site and relocate the topic/page I was looking at if I want to continue reading).

In a time when tabbed browsing is becoming more and more common and it's easier to just close a tab instead of hitting back (meaning page reloads and the like), opening up external links in new windows/tabs would make general viewing a lot more efficient and easy.

I'd be interested to hear some other people's thoughts on this as well.

Many thanks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, this has bugged me for ages to be honest. I usually just go for Ctrl+click, but it's still annoying when I accidentally forget.

Would certainly be nice to have it changed, if possible.

Er... why not just Middle Click?

Apple Magic Mouse... Also bear in mind that many users may also be using things such as touchpads or simply don't have scrollwheels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Er... why not just Middle Click?

I had no idea that clicking the scrollwheel on a link opened it in a new tab O_o

Regardless, I too am in favour of making links here open in new tabs, if it's at all possible.

Apple Magic Mouse... Also bear in mind that many users may also be using things such as touchpads or simply don't have scrollwheels.

command + click on a mac achieves this too