Awoo.

Has Sonic become a spotlight stealer?

Kuzu

Not any more than a series of games should be.

Each game has offered its own unique take on the same gameplay style, as is common for games released in the same series. Just like Nintendo does with Mario, or Insomniac does with Ratchet and Clank, or Ubisoft is doing with Rayman, each consecutive game is offering a new take on the style established in the previous release. Sonic Unleashed was extremely fast paced and frenetic, Colors was more slow-paced and focused on blocky, 2D platforming, and Generations employed a mixture of 3D platforming and fast-paced, reflex-based platforming reminiscent of Unleashed.

So that means each game has something new to add to the core gameplay (which is still very similar) and you like it, correct? If that is so, that means you think the gameplay is alright => they already got the gameplay right! That's my main point and I don't want to continue arguing over this because well... The point is that they already got the gameplay right, not the questionable differences between the games.

That is a damn good question. That said, it doesn't change the fact that they haven't yet.

They chose such kind of pace that I don't even dare to assume how more years it will take. Edited by ArtFenix

So that means each game has something new to add to the core gameplay (which is still very similar) and you like it, correct? If that is so, that means you think the gameplay is alright => they already got the gameplay right! That's my main point and I don't want to continue arguing over this because well... The point is that they already got the gameplay right, not the questionable differences between the games.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me here. There is no "questionable difference" between the games at all. While that would be a sufficient way to describe everything that was released between Adventure and 06, you've done nothing to convince me that it applies to Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

I'm fine with the Sonic focus on gameplay, but I can agree I really really want more characters to get involved in the plot again. Just a few per game. Maybe Tails, Amy and Knuckles as supporting cast for one game, Tails, Shadow, Rouge and Omega for the next. A bit of Team Chaotix here and there, I dunno.

Sonic finally getting the spotlight after being shunted sideways by Shadow and Silver in '06 and being made their bitch in Shadow the Hedgehog and in '06 respectively? Sonic getting the character focus and development he so desperately needed and is actually entitled to, being the series' main protagonist and namesake?

Damn straight. Took too long though.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 8

I PERSONALLY THINK that it's less that Sonic is the Spotlight Stealer and more that SEGA and SONIC TEAM are somewhat poor when it comes to using a lot of characters in the plot. Another factor is the media and certain parts of the fanbase putting pressure on them to not ever develop any of the other characters in the hope they will eventually be scrapped and recreate Sonic's so called "GLORY DAYS".

I honestly don't care about what character deserves what. I just want to play as Shadow, Knuckles, and Metal Sonic in 3D.

I get what OP is saying, but perhaps spotlight stealing isn't the proper terminology for this. I think the problem has more to do with being quite safe with Sonic only. That is not to say that Sega intends to stay this way forever. Sonic 4 and Generations is proving that they do intend to slowly reintroduce characters overtime, and hopefully, properly this time.

Sega built up its roster of supporting characters pretty quickly for Sonic (perhaps too quickly), and their presence in the games felt at times, not needed, and it didn't help that the writing wasn't really oscar quality or anything. With the right writing, and a more proper letting out of certain characters for certain games and stories, the spotlight can float evenly down for all of them; not just Sonic.

I'm sure Sega will get out of this phase eventually. They are already showing signs of this starting with Tails.

Sonic finally getting the spotlight after being shunted sideways by Shadow and Silver in '06 and being made their bitch in Shadow the Hedgehog and in '06 respectively? Sonic getting the character focus and development he so desperately needed and is actually entitled to, being the series' main protagonist and namesake?

Damn straight. Took too long though.

I also loved how he returned the favor in Generations, making Shadow run away from him and leaving Silver in a pile of his own trash. Made me smile.

Sonic should be in the spotlight, but I'd like to see other characters like Knuckles play relevant parts in the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kinda hard to steal you're own spotlight, dude.

I think the word you're looking for is "overshadowing", and even then not really. Granted the other characters haven't been doing much supporting in their status as supporting characters, but that's more the writers not using them very much.

"Sonic the hedgehog, a video game series starring Big the cat. Journey through special zones looking for your lost pal, only your fishing line and skills can save your friend froggy from being caught by the evil Dr. Eggman"

This topic is very silly

You guys are making me feel like an idiot.

Eh, I think it's a poor choice of words you used. Others are being a bit too...assholish about it, but they do have a point nonetheless.

Sonic sucks. More Shadow please.

No, Shadow can go to hell. He can go to hell and he can die.

You do know he was joking right?

What is being ironic?

Tell ya what. Why don't you do us a favor and take your attitude towards him with him to hell if your going to be like this. There's no problem with disliking a character, but the attitude can just fuck right off.

Tell ya what. Why don't you do us a favor and take your attitude towards him with him to hell if your going to be like this. There's no problem with disliking a character, but the attitude can just fuck right off.

If you've had to deal with the Shadow fanboys/fangirls I've dealt with throughout the years, you'd probably have this attitude towards him too. But I probably should've been better about it, though.

If you've had to deal with the Shadow fanboys/fangirls I've dealt with throughout the years, you'd probably have this attitude towards him too. But I probably should've been better about it, though.

Considering that the few people who do like Shadow here have to put up with the same thing, no not really.

I feel like a total shithead, though, lashing out like some retarded fanbrat like that. I honestly don't know what I was thinking...

I guess Shadow really does bring out the worst in me.

Edited by Slash

Tee Hee :3

We've all dealt with the fanboys, Slash. Especially the OP.

Good god, don't remind me, I'm still trying to block it out.

I've been dealing with Shadow fanboys and fan girls since 2005 before the old Sonic Stadium got deleted who kept ban dodging and trolling for fun (and still do to this day), dealt with Shadow haters - similar to the way you acted - who've indiscrimately insulted Shadow fans like me simply for liking the character, and I accidentally started a forum war between no less than 10 SSMB members against the fandom's most infamous Sonic fan on another site. Try me.

I'm sure many of us could very easily pick out a fanboy the moment they rear they're ugly heads from the ones who are joking. A protip: Shadow fanboys make the character out to be a god almost every time the post, and de-rail topics that have nothing to do with him.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Eh, I think it's a poor choice of words you used. Others are being a bit too...assholish about it, but they do have a point nonetheless.

I never meant that Sonic being the sole focus of attention is a bad thing, like people said, it's his series so he's entitled to have the most spotlight; I just felt that "Hey, even if he is the main character, isn't he kind of eclipsing everyone else?"