Awoo.

The Good and the Bad: Shadow the Hedgehog

Burnt Ash

Look, I'm not here to argue, but you're shitting on other people for liking something you don't.
I wouldn't consider giving objective counterpoints to other people's arguments any kind of "shitting" on them. That's kind of the obligatory thing to do when an argument ensues. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying you aren't obliged to an opinion. I'm not saying you aren't obliged to enjoy the game regardless. I'm not saying you're obliged to even reply if you can't give a counterpoint yourself.

There's no prejudice going on here - if you're still suggesting there is, you're setting yourself up for the oldest double standard in the book. And you'd do well not to sink that far - we're getting offtopic enough as it is.

• Thumbs Up 5

Good:

-Shadow kills eggman in one of the alternate endings

-some of the music isn't that bad

-that one loop in the beginning of westopolis

BAD:

-gameplay

-useless weapons/vehicles

-stupid alien invasion thing

-fucking with shadows origin

-Boring as hell

-bland music

-bland level design

-ridiculously over the top

-the stupid "branch" story aspect

-the unreasonable amount of effort that is to be given if you wish to see the actual canon ending

-every other character blurts out the word "DAMN" in a pathetic attempt to be "edgy"

-god dammit nappa

-the graphics are shitty

-the dialogue is shitty

-charmy bee is in the game. that automatically makes it shitty

the bottom line: there is no reason why a series with a supersonic blue hedgehog in bright red sneakers should have any kind of dark, or serious overtone. and even if it does it should never take itself too seriously the way this game does.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shadow the Hedgehog was flawed. We all know that.

I guess I'm just pissed because I can't make it to Sonic Boom this year. My new job starts Monday of that week, and I can't run out on Friday. I hope there will be many people to support Shadow (the character) and other favorites. I'll just read about it, I guess.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

I guess I'm just pissed because I can't make it to Sonic Boom this year. My new job starts Monday of that week, and I can't run out on Friday. I hope there will be many people to support Shadow (the character) and other favorites. I'll just read about it, I guess.

Alright then. If you're really that mad about it, it might be best to take a break from the internet for a second and find something to calm you down. Raging at the other members is just going to get everyone ticked off.

And don't worry. Even in spite of himself, Shadow has enough fans to go around. :D

Back on topic...

ShtH is a terrible game. Why SEGA thought it was such a great idea to make Sonic all dark and gloomy is beyond me. Swearing? Guns? Does that really make a game mature? =\ Even the graphics sucked! The gameplay was all over the place too. Some stages were like mazes which took half an hour to complete, and the vehicles were just there. You didn't need them (not always anyway), same with the guns and stuff! Then there's the plot...let's just say Shadow used to be my favourite character before this game.

The only good thing about ShtH was some of the music, and I say SOME. Almost Dead is possibly the worst and most unfitting song for any Sonic game ever. I'd rather hear Dragonforce do a song in a Sonic game! Atleast that would suit the fast paced style of gameplay.

Edit: Forgot to mention how your game can sometimes freeze in Mad Matrix and create an awful buzzing noise. Yeah, there is very little I like about this game. I'd rather play Sonic Heroes.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno. Heroes wasn't dark and gloomy and was more straight forward, but had the drawback of being far more repetitive than ShTH was. Your basic enemy in Heroes took around 5 hits (or was it 3?) unless you were using the Power character where as your basic foe in ShTH could take 2-3 hits (I think) or less depending on your weapon and before they brought in the stronger foes in each of them. And while you had to play the same levels in both games more than once (hell 10 times for ShTH) you could completely shortcut your way through ShTH without having to bother with some of the more troubling missions all the time while there's no way to not play any of the levels in Heroes.

Plot wise, they're both weak. Heroes was paper thin, ShTH was overly convoluted. Character's talked like they had no sense in ShTH or any decency in ShTH. And then there's the team mechanic in the games, particulary Heroes; losing one person on your team can heavily cripple you until you get them back later on.

Really, as much as I dislike the game, I think I would rather play ShTH out of practicality.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think if Heroes was designed around ShtH's more advanced version of the engine, it would be a lot better than it was. They did do a lot of cleanup with it in regards to controls.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd much rather play Sonic Heroes just because it's not as gloomy and depressing as ShtH graphics and story wise. All those bright colours in Sonic Heroes, plus the fact the game makes me feel all nostalgic and happy (first 3D Sonic game I ever played)...I know the controls are not so slippery in ShtH and theres a few small improvements, but something about it just..hnnng.

Edited by Gabz Girl

I think if Heroes was designed around ShtH's more advanced version of the engine

I think people tend to confuse both games as having the same engine because of the same character models. Shadow had a completely different engine built from scratch. I guess in some cases it helped and hurt the game because their engine wasn't very impressive, but it did do some things better than Heroes and other things worse.

They're both really mediocre games so it's kind of a moot point figuring which one is less mediocre than the other.

Oh yeah, I haven't answered the topic title yet:

The Bad: Everything

The Good:......uh......I got nothing.

I think people tend to confuse both games as having the same engine because of the same character models. Shadow had a completely different engine built from scratch.

Is this actually the case, though? Because I've seen just as much stuff that says they just used a further-modified version of the Renderware engine as I've seen stuff that says they used their own proprietary one.

Edited by Tornado

I rather play Heroes than this terrible, terrible game. I don't know which game I played is even worse. This or '06.

The fact that I had to use Action Replay to get any fun out of this game is shocking.

I hate, hated the kill all aliens missions. If I miss one, I have to backtrack and still may not find that last alien. The game doesn't give you clues, hints or any kind of notification where that last alien is. YouTube was useless for things like this back then, so it was totally frustrating to finish those type of missions.

The whole story...was just too confusing. Too many paths, have to replay the stages over and over and over. And I have to MAKE sure I don't make a mistake - like if I want to complete a dark mission, I must stay clear of anything hero or normal.

Using Chaos Control while wanting to do a Hero or Dark mission is almost suicidal, because Shadow tends to aim straight for the 'Normal' Goal Ring while using it. And all your work, is gone. Just like that.

Tedious terrible game. The first Sonic type game I disliked to be honest.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 3

I rather play Heroes than this terrible, terrible game. I don't know which game I played is even worse. This or '06.

Obviously Sonic 06. ShTH was far more playable and you did not encounter glitches as often as you did in 06 that would ruin your experience.

I wonder how the Pix'N'Love Sonic history book will reflect on the Shadow game?

The good news for Shadow is SA2 HD. We all know it's coming, and it could really increase Shadow's popularity again. Metal Sonic's popularity increased with the CD re-release and 4 Episode 2, so I have high hopes for Shadow. Even so, Shadow is plenty popular even without the SA2 re-release.

I wonder how the Pix'N'Love Sonic history book will reflect on the Shadow game? Can they put in opinions? If so, what would the opinions be, positive or negative?

Dammit! My phone won't let me take out the whole popularity crap I just posted. I'm on vacation, and I don't have a computer with me. I just don't want to sound like a mindless Shadow fanboy. Sorry.

Dammit! My phone won't let me take out the whole popularity crap I just posted. I'm on vacation, and I don't have a computer with me. I just don't want to sound like a mindless Shadow fanboy. Sorry.

Haha, too late for that, buddy.

Nah, I kid, I kid, you're fine.

Um, let's see...

The Good: Um, I don't know. It's fun, and I rather like it. I probably put more time into that game than any other Sonic game. There were just so many doors to unlock. The CGI cutscenes were gorgeous (though, even those were outdone by '06).

The Bad: I actually really don't have any major problems with the story, or gameplay, or voice acting or whatever else. The graphics certainly could be better, though, the look of the game (the gritty, everything is destroyed sort of aesthetic) I kind of enjoyed. Some of the weapons don't work that great.

In general I don't really dislike any Sonic games, even the "bad" ones. I just enjoy them for what they are, I suppose.

Well, now that I've made a single comment, I think it's time to disappear for another year or two. Toodles.

The good news for Shadow is SA2 HD. We all know it's coming, and it could really increase Shadow's popularity again. Metal Sonic's popularity increased with the CD re-release and 4 Episode 2, so I have high hopes for Shadow. Even so, Shadow is plenty popular even without the SA2 re-release.
  • Thumbs Up 4

We'll see. Sonic CD didn't age quite as well as I had hoped, but I thought it was still good. I didn't care much for Metal Sonic in Epsiode 2 either. However, Metal Sonic's popularity has increased because of those games.

I think Sega will handle Sonic Adventure 2 HD right. I have high hopes.

Overall, I loved the game. I enjoyed being able to affect the story based on what I did, I thought the game had a great soundtrack (like most Sonic games), and personally I liked the darker style this game had with the weaponry, vehicles, etc. Really my only complaints are how the homing attack was kinda off and how some of the characters could get pretty annoying... I mean they made Sonic quite annoying. but I don't take these cons too seriously, they're kinda minor. All in all I enjoyed the game and thought it was very good smile.png

Shadow the Hedgehog is the game that divided the fanbase like no other. Some people liked it, some people hated it. I won't go on about that because we've all heard it before, but I would like to show the top 5 list of games on Gamestop.com when the word "hedgehog" is typed:

1. Shadow the Hedgehog

2. Sonic the Hedgehog

3. Sonic Colors

4. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

I think everyone who buys the number two game on the list is in for a very unpleasant surprise. Honestly, it's just plain sick. And where's Sonic Generations? Sonic Colors made the list, so Sonic Generations should also be on the list even though only the word "hedgehog" was typed. Regardless of my problems with this top five sales list, I am happy to know that almost seven years later, Shadow the Hedgehog is still selling.