Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

So here's something:

untitled-15rr6fj.jpg

img_e-capc4ani.png

Japan gets a retail special edition with snowglobe and one of those keychain thingamabobs. Around $90.

I can do without the trinkets but damn that boxart is hot. Even the annoying Move sticker is better :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Dat boxart. wub.png

Okami HD is making me feel like a little kid during Christmas again.

Huh, Hexadrive is handling the port so it sounds like it's in good hands. They've done REZ HD and 3rd Birthday, plus developed an engine that was used in that Majin and the Foreskin Forsaken Kingdom game.

Fun fact: the founder is one of Capcom's best programmers (leading roles on DMC3 and Lost Planet), he should be familiar with Okami's inner workings.

Wonder what one of those snowglobes would go for on EBay... I wouldn't mind having one of those added to my gaming swag hoarde.

• 3 weeks later...

http://blog.us.plays...ith-move-1080p/

d4RRG.jpg

With the PS3’s hardware muscle to play with, they’re working to improve draw distance and load times over the PS2 original.

All cutscenes have been fully recreated, and areas of the game that the team felt weren’t up to snuff were re-textured by hand. It looks stunning.

first HD remake that Capcom will release outside of Japan featuring full 1080p HD. [...] 16:9 aspect ratio

The team even lets you play with filter effects in this version; opt for “Heavy,” and the sky appears to have been painted on a rough scroll, making things pop with a timeless, storybook look.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I bought Okami for the Wii around a year ago but never got around to finishing it despite loving the initial impressions.

I remember the times I would often tell myself "one of the games I eagerly anticipate to get a proper HD remake but probably won't happen because Capcom".

Now just do Viewtiful Joe and I'll have some newfound respect for Capcom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Viewtiful Joe already looks so amazing with just a resolution bump.

dolphin2010-05-1622-02m3p1.jpg

A proper port, with a fixed aspect ratio and a couple touches here and there in the same vein as this Okami release... oh my.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

So, I finished the PS2 version of Okami. I see why everyone loved the end credits that weren't in the Wii version.

Apparently they weren't in the Wii version because the Clover logo was in the original credits, and none of Clover's staff worked on it. Though it says it was put back in in the Japanese release of the Wii version

I'm hoping it's put back in since this is being made from scratch. It's just not the same without it.

also, developer commentary (as scarce as it is):

http://www.ign.com/v...-comic-con-2012

It's basically the same thing as what Doberkops posted, but you can see some gameplay footage. Looks amazing.

Also, it shows the release date as September 30th. Don't know if that's true, haven't seen any official info on that.

If this is old news to everyone, sorry :U

Edited by Solkia-kun

• 1 month later...

EU release date October 31st

http://www.computera...ed-new-trailer/

Price is $19.99/£15.99.

Along with cleaned up visuals, the PS3 re-release of Clover Studio's PS2 masterpiece will support a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio at 1080p, Trophies, and motion controls via the PlayStation Move controller.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good: i missed this one when it came out on PS2 so now i have the chance to take it in a better version, with trophies and at a minor price.

PROFIT.

Did they really just spoil a good chunk of the ending and final boss? Really?

I never understood the reasoning behind doing this in trailers. Sometimes, it is done good (I've seen trailers where I didn't know it was the end) but a lot of companies make it very obvious. It is especially odd in this case because it DID end up spilling a good chunk. Maybe if it was a very short 5 second clip it could get a break but this? Then again, maybe they're appealing to people that did play it and wanted to restore those emotional feelings? I have no idea.

I need to pick this up. The game looks fantastic and fun to play.

They shouldn't have freakin' done that. The thing about Okami is that it has so many opportunities it could end but, it keeps going in a glorious fashion.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the longest time, I've been interested in this game. For one, the gameplay looked great, as I love zelda-esque adventure games, The Artstyle looked gorgeous, It was a mythology based game, which I happen to love... and all of it done by the folks who brought us Viewtiful Joe. Why wouldn't I want this?

So last week, after noticing I had some extra cash, I decided to pick up a copy... I immediately went with the Wii version, Since my PS2's broken and... It actually exceeded my expectations! I love this game so much! I was a bit hesitant to try the Wii Version, since I've heard a some negative things about it, but it turns out, it wasn't that bad... At least I don't think so anyway. Though as someone mentioned a few posts ago, I didn't know there was a part in the ending that was taken out. I'll have to look that up online when I beat the game.

And I just watched the trailer for Okami HD. Goodness, that's gorgeous, and I thought the original was beautiful looking. I curse myself, (And my dad) For not buying a PS3. >_<

By the way, I gotta ask those who have played it... When I'm finished with Okami, I'm thinking of buying Okamiden. Is it any good?

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 1

By the way, I gotta ask those who have played it... When I'm finished with Okami, I'm thinking of buying Okamiden. Is it any good?

I'm curious too. I've been busting my ass trying to find that game used in stores (iirc, you could only get it online or something when it was released, figured I might find a copy used sooner or later) and other DS titles out there that I missed (like Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, I only got to play a few bits of it on the iOS version, and I loved what I got to play). Sadly, I've no luck with it.

Edited by Pinkamina

From what I played, Okamiden was a pretty fun game. Reviewers such as IGN gave it a high score so there is some reenforcement to the opinion that it may be a good game and it is worth trying. I'm sure you could get the game for cheap on Amazon or something.

Okamiden is a severely watered down version of the first game, featuring much of the same recycled environments but with many invisible walls that hamper the player's freedom. There's absolutely no point in exploring and enjoying the environment at your leisure. The battle system is painfully simplified, as Chibi is considerably weaker than Ammy yet fights are piss-easy. The partner gimmick isn't anything special, and much of it boils down to just drawing a line for them to step on an out-of-reach switch. They also do way too many retcons of important plot points of the first game that don't make any fucking sense. One that baffled me right off the bat was how Ammy is now apparently Shiranui's daughter, despite the former being the latter's reincarnation in the first Okami. Um?

Not to mention the entire experience is severely weighed down by being on the DS; it tries way too hard to be a home console experience, yet at the same time it has absolutely none of the depth or draw of its predecessor. Just stick with the original game. Okamiden just makes me want to play that one instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I played and beat both games again recently so I might as well put down more of my other complaints about Okamiden that kill it for me.

This game is kind of bittersweet in how it seems to attempt so much on the surface, but in the end it does so little. Okami had the feeling of playing as an all-powerful god and the sense of nearly unhindered exploration (save for the plot) across the country. Okamiden pretty much throws all of those out the window, and I'm not sure how much of it was divided between console limitations and a complete lack of understanding of what made the first game good. Many things in the game are explained away by Chibi being weaker than Amaterasu. Why are there fewer brush techniques? Why can't his ink pots refill? Why do battles boil down to nothing but button mashing and the occasional brush stroke? Why can't he equip sub-weapons? Why can't he swim, and why is his jump so god damn useless? Because he's weaker than Ammy I guess! I know that console limitations have to be taken into account, but the end result still isn't very fun because the game doesn't really have its own identity; it's just a smaller version of Okami.

In fact the game never gives you any explanation on the stuff that matters. Why do Ammy and the other brush stroke gods have children all of a sudden? Nobody knows, and beyond the intro of the game, Chibi being Ammy's son is never brought up again aside from the occasional mention from NPCs. Chibi plays absolutely no substantial role in the game that Ammy couldn't have; it never goes into detail his relationship with his mother, or even his development as a young god despite what the beginning of the game would have you believe. Once you leave Kamiki Village, Chibi and co. simply go around completing random tasks until you meet the bad guy of the game, Dark Matter from the Kirby series. I'm sure that the focus on children was mostly a way to draw in younger players, but they do it so half-heartedly that if you cut out the first few minutes of the game, you could have sworn it was about Ammy in her youth. None of the partner characters really stood out to me all that much anyway.

I don't know if Okami is one of my personal favorite games, but any fan of Clover/Platinum would agree that every aspect of it was a labor of love. I don't think the devs behind Okamiden really cared all that much beyond just trying to make more Okami. It becomes increasingly more apparent when they desperately try re-using major plot elements from the first game in a less polished way, and it was very silly how the writers thought that Shiranui and Amaterasu were two different characters, among other quirks. I can't imagine myself going back to this anytime soon now that I've experienced the whole thing; the game had one nice thing (the final boss), but otherwise it was a major disappointment from beginning to end.