Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Later tweets indicated Max and Vector were to be in SegaSonic Arcade. 

No, Ohshima was responding to a question about Mighty, he didn't say Vector and Max were going to be in the arcade game.

This illustration looks to have come later, since Mighty is wearing his Chaotix shoes.

6 minutes ago, Pengi said:

No, Ohshima was responding to a question about Mighty, he didn't say Vector and Max were going to be in the arcade game.

This illustration looks to have come later, since Mighty is wearing his Chaotix shoes.

Speaking of Chaotix, could Max = Nat?

Was that the origin of “Nat the Armadillo?”

So here's something interesting from GDC. 

This is the last slide from Ohshima's presentation. 

EyLJ7JK.jpg

Looks like the standard art of the band we've seen before, right?

Not exactly...

BVg3NHS.png

This is the original band image. Notice how it feels more different to the Sonic style for the others compared to the above.

It also has some noticeable differences for Sharps, whose quiff looks more like Max's (the parrot, not the monkey), and Vector, who...just looks different entirely. In fact, he looks closer to the one seen in the Fantasy Factory video than the original. 

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

So here's something interesting from GDC. 

This is the last slide from Ohshima's presentation. 

EyLJ7JK.jpg

Looks like the standard art of the band we've seen before, right?

Not exactly...

BVg3NHS.png

This is the original band image. Notice how it feels more different to the Sonic style for the others compared to the above.

It also has some noticeable differences for Sharps, whose quiff looks more like Max's (the parrot, not the monkey), and Vector, who...just looks different entirely. In fact, he looks closer to the one seen in the Fantasy Factory video than the original. 

The GDC slide version looks to be an edit/revision of the original black and white sketch, which has more detail on Sharps' "hair" etc than the color version.

Cf6qv0k.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Ah, okay. Although it's still relevant for Vector, who definitely has been adjusted for the 92 redesign period. 

• Fist Bump 1

I'm so glad they didn't stick with these designs for Shadow...

DZPA461VAAA8zRL.jpgDZPA6IkVwAAAkZl.jpg

Meanwhile, Rouge's sketches look more interesting.

DZPA7l1VAAAdTmx.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Shadow is interesting in that it may not be a great design but definitely reads as a character you'd mistake for Sonic. I like the idea but it could have gone through more drafts and I honestly still think Shadow could use more character design drafts on a newer design that is tad more subtle on the spines. This design certainly makes the script of Sonic Adventure 2 make more sense. His spines should have definitely been closer to regular Sonic's in the end but the eye scar is too much. The torn cloak is interesting though. Nails Rouge is sure showing her Lara Croft inspiration here pretty strongly and certainly reads younger than her finalized design. Definitely shows that she had a lot of Vampire and Succubi input into her design notes too regarding the little bat doodle where they were figuring out her wings. 

Neat stuff. 

IDK why, but I really like these artworks of Modern/Adventure Sonic with the long ass spikes. Too bad they get shorter every new game lol.

DZPA461VAAA8zRL.jpg&key=3f4b27803ebb636c

2 hours ago, Jango said:

IDK why, but I really like these artworks of Modern/Adventure Sonic with the long ass spikes. Too bad they get shorter every new game lol.

DZPA461VAAA8zRL.jpg&key=3f4b27803ebb636c

I like the fact that his quills get shorter. It actually makes him look a little closer to a hedgehog with shorter quills. His head quills are longer than his back quills when they should be even.

That design for Shadow certainly doesn't look very pleasing to the eye.

tenor.gif?itemid=5443381

Although it's funny. That design makes the plot point where he's mistaken for Sonic make a tad bit more sense. Maybe less so if the plan was to still have him be jet black.

Maybe a significantly darker blue but not jet black.

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'm so glad they didn't stick with these designs for Shadow...

DZPA461VAAA8zRL.jpgDZPA6IkVwAAAkZl.jpg

Meanwhile, Rouge's sketches look more interesting.

DZPA7l1VAAAdTmx.jpg

The original Rouge sketch looks a whole lot like Tiara. Was the reference intended? (And maybe as a swat at the diatribe that was X-Treme?). And from the looks of it she might have been able to turn into an ordinary bat.

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Although it's funny. That design makes the plot point where he's mistaken for Sonic make a tad bit more sense. Maybe less so if the plan was to still have him be jet black.

Maybe a significantly darker blue but not jet black.

He was still meant to be black...

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

He was still meant to be black.

I wasn't saying he wasn't. Just proposing a scenario that would happen if he hadn't been. 

...I've always thought that Modern Amy's redesign made her spines awfully similar to Knuckles's dreadlocks, and that seems to be pretty much the direction they were going with Shadow in the right-hand design, too; the other known Shadow concepts are similar, but not quite so extreme.  Combined with the odd attachment to the spine beside his face, that early Shadow looks a lot like a Ken Penders character.

So far as Rouge goes, I don't think the hair in that concept quite works, but I like the hints of a "punk" aesthetic she has in this and other concepts.

IMG_4053-1440x809.jpg&key=a73e5a229359ecAnother image from the GDC shows doodles of Badniks, including at least one that was cut before even Splats. And, the connection between Max and the concept blue chicken thing reinforces the possibility of Mighty having indeed evolved from the Armadillo concept. Maybe other character contest entries were used in the series somehow?

The Badnik is underneath Burrobot and resembles some sort of platypus. Next to it is Yadorin to the left and some weird-looking scribbly Badniks, including kind of... turtle Badnik (?) (though it is probably orbinaut due to the spheres hat surround  a larger one) to the right, along with something round that looks kinda like Bomb, but also like a cat head. Poor Yadorin appears crossed out for whatever reason.

Motobug and Newtron are missing from the image, and I have my doubts over whether the last one is meant to be Bomb or not. 

Could someone translate the text to find out more about the platypus and company? 

On 28/03/2018 at 6:42 AM, Miragnarok said:

And, the connection between Max and the concept blue chicken thing reinforces the possibility of Mighty having indeed evolved from the Armadillo concept. 

I wouldn't put money on it- Manabu Kusunoki (Mighty's designer) said in an interview that he chose an armadillo as a species (as well as a flying squirrel for Ray) specifically because he wanted animals that had similar proportions to a hedgehog and were equally obscure. Couple this with the early armadillo concept art that we've seen, and it would suggest that Mighty has little if anything to do with the old armadillo concept- about as much as Cream has to do with the old rabbit concept.

I'm definitely very glad they went with the designs they went with, but I have to admit I kinda like that scar on Proto-Shadow's eye. I know, edgy, but I honestly find edgy aesthetics appealing a lot of the time. xP

On 3/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, Pengi said:

The GDC slide version looks to be an edit/revision of the original black and white sketch, which has more detail on Sharps' "hair" etc than the color version.

Cf6qv0k.jpg

Sonic himself also has many differences. His mouth is larger and changes the shape of the muzzle, his spines are ever so slightly longer and more curved, and his body is more round resulting in his left arm protruding from the torso on a higher part of the oval. His hand is also at a slightly different angle. His ears are also larger and point more sideways and his tail is longer.

Now that we have evidence the purple orc guy became Splats, did any of the other weird early enemies become Badniks? Maybe the glove guy became the unused Platypus Badnik, The clawed hand became bat-brain...

IMG_4053-1440x809.jpg&key=a73e5a229359ec

Now that I think about it, one of them does look a bit like the orc guy. With him also having been coded in a tech demo, was the orc kept for some time, before it went the way of the Platypus Badnik and Splats? And... given the early rough drafts of Fleetway, were the artists there allowed to access those old concepts?

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Now that we have evidence the purple orc guy became Splats

I must have missed this. What was shown?

6 hours ago, Pengi said:

I must have missed this. What was shown?

What footage is known of the tech demo had the purple orc guy bounce towards Sonic, just like Splats does.

Also, I found a better shot of the Platypus Badnik

6B5kjwu.png

We only need the translation for the top part right? Here we go:

imageproxy.thumb.png.87e24e99b4a57586bca70e3e6d280024.png

The one on the edge is cut out on both images provided :(

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

We only need the translation for the top part right? Here we go:

imageproxy.thumb.png.87e24e99b4a57586bca70e3e6d280024.png

The one on the edge is cut out on both images provided :(

Oh, so the platypus was just a scribbled early Newtron. And orbinaut was an urchin egg? So Motobug and Bomb still didn’t exist yet.