Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite sure if it's "concept art" as such, but I've been meaning to scan this one in for a while:

15fm7ex.png
Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 8

^Hah,I love how there's all this havoc going on in the background with those animals,but Sonic is all chill in the foreground :,D

Specially with the second one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Underground:

Conceptund.png

There's just something that makes me want to give concept art Aleena a hug.

Definitely echoing Venice the Mink > Silver the Hedgehog. The name is cooler, and hey, what's wrong with more non-hedgehogs? Plus he just looks intimidating.

I kinda wish Chip had been a snake or an imp or something like that, to better parallel Dark Gaia. Design-wise I can't see what the two have to do with each other.

I always thought Chip's small form was better as a sign of his reduced power. I'd've much preferred if he became something more intimidating and godly than ripping off power rangers.

Alternatively, Dark Gaia turns out to be a Pommeranian beneath his dark, hideous exterior. That or a Set dog.

I liked the Sonic X-Treme models, they're so cute. Except Knuckles, bleerg.

And where's your God now:

That's right. Sonic the fucking Hedgehog swimming.

Torpedohogs away!

Yup.

eggmanwearinghisgoggles.jpg

I never understood why he has those things, other than so he can put them over his face when stuff gets real. He already has shades on, so he needs more shades to put on to show he's serious.

Only practical use I've seen of them thus far is Sonic 06.

Here is the aforementioned Excalibur Sonic, In SatBK I have this concept art, the Dark Queen, and the last boss, but I've never seen the other pics in the gallery and I've never seen the other two arts I mentioned posted online.

If Merlina was too dense to see those huge gaps in his leg armor, she deserved to lose.

Apart from the skull on his arm, I always liked the Werehog concept on the left here:

Blog0217_4.jpg

Oh definitely. I love both, since I like the idea of WereSonic actually being an evil transformation rather than just Sonic but fluffier and slower. Whole point of dark forms is there's a HUGE reason to avoid them. Think the writers missed the memo.

Artwork involving Sonic and the Alphabet.

Not exactly conceptual artwork, but it's still a nice find.

Well. Now I know how to teach my kids their ABCs, AND brainwash them to love Sonic at the same time. Bahahaha!

Edited by TaniciusFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

wow did early cream have hair on her head? Like Hair hair not fur? They should have kept that.

I'm too serious XD So never mind me.

Anyways, these are incredibly weird takes on Erazor and Shahra compared to their final iterations;

Me thinks that SatSR's art style was initially more fantasy-ish than the greater level of realism seen in the final version.

All I can see is Legend of Zelda lol

wow I've liked so many images in this thread that I hit my like quota.

Remember all the talk about Silver's concept art? Well, I've gotten inspired and made a lil' sketch of him...

As a mink-esque character.

sketch__silver_the_mink_by_sam_huskie-d568pfx.jpg

They should've gone with this. This is infinitely cooler than the silver Marijuana leaf with arms and legs we got.

Here it is, Sonic Pre-Satam!

http://images2.wikia...FreedomTeam.jpg

http://images3.wikia...TP1-Machine.jpg

Notice what's coming in is completely different from what's coming out

http://images2.wikia...-Resistance.jpg

He's killing Robians?

http://images1.wikia...STP1-Reward.jpg

These concepts almost seem like some of common ancestor to both SatAM and Sonic the Comic.

More SEGA mascot concepts.

S1concept-Human.png

Blue eyes, big nose, overalls, big brown shoes, and concerning the top-right drawing, a suspiciously familiar pose? Hmm.....

250px-Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Nope, definitely not a knockoff of a certain rival mascot whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 3

Blue eyes, big nose, overalls, big brown shoes, and concerning the top-right drawing, a suspiciously familiar pose? Hmm.....

250px-Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Nope, definitely not a knockoff of a certain rival mascot whatsoever.

He looks a little like Bart Simpson.

bart-simpson.png

• Thumbs Up 1

He looks a little like Bart Simpson.

bart-simpson.png

Outside of the hair and ear placement, there aren't any other similarities between the two.

Considering that Bart Simpson and Mario were amongst the world's most popular characters back in the early 90s, I think neither of the similarities are coincidences.

• Thumbs Up 4

I used to have a fold-out Sonic 3 map and guide that featured a lot of this concept art. I wish I still had it. There's a lot of merchandise and things I had as a kid that I wish I still had. It would all be so rare and valuable these days XD

Does anyone here have that fold-out map and guide? I can't remember now, but I think it might have come with an issue of Sonic the Comic or a SEGA magazine.

I have the map. It came with issue 2 of the official SEGA magazine. It's way too big to scan but I could take a pic if anyone cares?

Edited by hypermikey

Concept art of Green Hill shown at SPEC (Sega Players Enjoy Club), along with a concept art of Sonic.

800px-Sega_Players_Enjoy_Club_Sonic_Concept_art.jpg

tumblr_m7w5mp4r2V1rcpfkho1_500.png

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 8

I have the map. It came with issue 2 of the official SEGA magazine. It's way too big to scan but I could take a pic if anyone cares?

A pic will be nice if you don't mind

Concept art of Dark Gaia escaping from the Earth's core in Unleashed's opening sequence.

http://info.sonicret...-SU_Black10.jpg

...Holy crap. The detail.

Beautiful, simply marvelous.

fuckti.jpg

FUCK.

This has to be THE GOD DAMN BEST piece of ART I have seen THIS YEAR.

Why was this NOT in ANY game?

It's in the Wii version.

And now that I've checked every single page, has there EVER been concept artwork for Darkspine Sonic minus the few seconds of artwork we see of that form in the unlockable bonus video for secret rings?

Edited by Jetronic

• 2 weeks later...

A pic will be nice if you don't mind

Here we go then:

7752390202_3fb17e3a5a.jpg

7752393580_27ebe7bb4a_b.jpg

7752397230_7eeb0058ba_b.jpg

From the official SEGA magazine Issue 2 February 1994

Edited by hypermikey
  • Thumbs Up 4

lol'ing at how an official SEGA magazine can get zone names like "Angel Island" and "Marble Garden" wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 5 months later...

I like how a couple of those look like much better alternatives to cover art than what we got! Surely interested to see us get scanned copies of those and possibly some mockups of alternate game covers designed like them.

• Thumbs Up 1