Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

I like how a couple of those look like much better alternatives to cover art than what we got! Surely interested to see us get scanned copies of those and possibly some mockups of alternate game covers designed like them.

This.

Fanbase, don't disappoint us now!

(The fanbase rarely does on delivering some awesome fanwork though)

Nice to see this topic revived.

Some of these pictures I don't recall seeing anywhere else (apart from the ones next to the text, the only one I recognsie is the one with Tails lifting Sonic), the information too, could it be the personality descriptions shown here?

7f5efb1a062375e464532a8ef70fe693.jpg

Woah, okay these are so awesome I'm gonna die. Where did you see this and how can we try to obtain them?

The Image of Sonic and Chip with the dreamcast came from here.

I found the photograph here, they only seem to be discussing classic Sonic as he appeared in Sonic Generations as opposed to the Japanese 'classic' Sonic games, though.

Edited by Mysterics

That Sonic and Tails with the telescope reminds me of Sonic the Screensaver. Even Sonic under the palmtree and with a surfboard seem reminiscent of that. Possibly the art preluding that?

Nice to see this topic revived.

Some of these pictures I don't recall seeing anywhere else (apart from the ones next to the text, the only one I recognsie is the one with Tails lifting Sonic), the information too, could it be the personality descriptions shown here?

7f5efb1a062375e464532a8ef70fe693.jpg

That Sonic and Tails with the telescope reminds me of Sonic the Screensaver. Even Sonic under the palmtree and with a surfboard seem reminiscent of that. Possibly the art preluding that?

It looks incredibly similar to this piece:

640px-Sss_pic_55.png

Could it be the lineart for it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Very simular, but not exact, I thought they all might have been from Sonic The screensaver at first, but it seems not.

Edited by Mysterics

I'm sure that the telescope one was used on a Japanese arcade machine. There's a photo of said machine in Gems Collection's museum. The art that shows Tails carrying Sonic whilst flying was used on a Japanese cookie box/tin

CookieFresh.jpg

Whilst the one that shows Sonic lying down on a tiny island with a palm tree was used on a towel

JPTOWELS.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Here we go then:

7752390202_3fb17e3a5a.jpg

7752393580_27ebe7bb4a_b.jpg

7752397230_7eeb0058ba_b.jpg

From the official SEGA magazine Issue 2 February 1994

I have similar images, I have the Sonic 3 players Guide and it has full maps in there for every level :) Edited by Jolt_TH

This topic on Sonic retro may be of some use, it takes some looking though. Some of the links are already broken sadly, though someone collected many of the pictures into a download.

Found this there.

w87prn.jpg

A title screen? The drawing style looks like Sonic CD, but the title seems to say "Sonic The Hedgehog Jamming!"

The fact it has a greeting and is sighed 'Sonic Team' suggests it was gifted to someone.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Image of Sonic and Chip with the dreamcast came from here.

I found the photograph here, they only seem to be discussing classic Sonic as he appeared in Sonic Generations as opposed to the Japanese 'classic' Sonic games, though.

Ha, I make a post about the Hamadashi blog in Retro's Unleashed thread, two days later there's a post up on TSSZ news kinking all the exact pages I linked and just for good measure they completely misunderstood what the picture of Windmill Island covered in the eggman texture actually was.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh that's from me. It's a postcard.

Er, can you expand on that? Where did you get it?

Edited by Mysterics

Er, can you expand on that? Where did you get it?

I've had this scan for 10 years. I got it from a japanese fansite that have been shut down since.

People've probably seen this, and I'm not positive it's official, but here's some concept art from Sonic Battle:

Shadow_battle_concept_art_zps19e15bfc.pn

• Thumbs Up 1

I found some All-Stars Racing Transformed concept art, it's of Sonic's vehicle in the game.

178060_10150942958622418_1450304850_o.jp

That looks nicer than it does in game

• Thumbs Up 1

When Sega was throwing ideas around for their new mascot, this was considered:

S1concept-eggman.jpg

I guess they liked the design so much, that they stuck him in the final product anyways :)

I love how much he looks like Teddy Roosevelt

People've probably seen this, and I'm not positive it's official, but here's some concept art from Sonic Battle:

*Shadow*

Battle went through some slight art style changes/refinements in the time between it's announcement and eventual release. That's one of the early pieces. It's not concept art, but it was changed a bit for the final. 

Prototype Sonic.

Hedgehog_zps779d044b.png

Very cute,quite bendy and wacky, preferring exaggerated expression over the consistency of Sonic's shapes, seems to help it not look 'cutesy' as Sonic's first 'complete' design though(along with the messy quills) , as he looks friendly when he dang well wants to, rather than generally having it readily identifiable in a more consistent and defined design(which was a good idea, by the way).

Notable for 'butt-brow' which is lacking from the final Japanese design.

Early Green Hill Zone design.

greenhillzone_zps0ab3805f.jpg

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 2