Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

You know, I always thought the awkward facial expressions and mouth movements in Sonic Underground were just the result of awkward animation, but now I realize the artists intended for them to look that way. Which is really, really disturbing.

I've always loved Sleet's design. He pulls off the perfect balance of menacing and cartoony.

Dingo...well, he's just messed up.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe there's a topic for rare Sonic series promotional artwork around these places, so I suppose I'll put this down in this topic.

I was searching Google Images for plushes and came across something quite interesting:

SkLYAfY.png

All art here appears familiar to me besides the Amy one. Sonic, Tails and Shadow have their iconic renders from ASR whilst Knuckles' art is from the Sonic Channel wallpapers.

gOOwCV1.png

I've never seen this piece before in my life. Does anyone else happen to recognize it?

• 11 months later...

So yeah, during the downtime Sumo Digital shared some pretty awesome stuff - concept art from the first ASR game. We already knew a while ago that they had originally tested out different ideas like having Sonic race on-foot, and Gilius on a Chicken Leg (he was later removed from the game entirely), now we can see it all for the first time. 

We almost got Sonic R 2. Kinda. And Tails in the SA1 Tornado.

16580222067_58b271d9cd_b.jpg

The Chicken Leg.

16601370779_2149ffb8e0_b.jpg

And wtf the Tails driving here?

16580221917_d67225d5d6_b.jpg

Gallery - lots more to see.

• Thumbs Up 8

• 2 months later...

Hirokazu Yasuhara.

Main level designer for the classic Sonic games (minus CD & Chaotix), 3D Blast, and Sonic R.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shadzter's source has some SA2B and Secret Rings ads as well. This one in particular gave me a good laugh:

c0afffae3bd5ad269d31888d19bc5319.jpg

The religious Sonic fanart all makes sense now! xD

Edited by Señor Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found some SEGA Superstars Tennis concept art:

dougtelford-f_121.jpg

http://dougtelfordconceptualdesign.com/gallery.html

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, those Sonic Heroes ads are bringing back so many memories. I remember visiting the Sonic Heroes website and The A Team music would play, and I'd take quizzes to figure out which team I'd be on.

Also, I'm not sure if these have been posted, I don't feel like looking through the whole topic. But I thought these were very cool.

tumblr_mz0lk7Sii51qlj42ao3_1280.jpgtumblr_mz0lk7Sii51qlj42ao6_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

On 21/12/2015 at 3:05 PM, Shadzter said:

Missed this the first time. Oh wow, love this, Sonic looking like a total badass. Is this guy for real though? None of Sega's marks or"Sonic the hedgehog is property of Sega" disclaimers.

...Honestly didn't realise I double posted :B

2 minutes ago, OverlyAttatchedGamer said:

Missed this the first time. Oh wow, love this, Sonic looking like a total badass. Is this guy for real though? None of Sega's marks, their mark is given prominence when I'd expect it to be smallprint if it was official work.

Theres an article on this somewhat recently. It wasn't released officially. Mixed reception.