Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

32 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I can't get over how awful shadows concepts were like it really makes you think. I'm so grateful for what we got now lol

Really though, this just raises another question. Did they really envision Shadow, the "Dark Sonic' as an "ultimate life form" from the get go? I mean it's still ridiculous that they decided to give that title to a Sonic like hedgehog, but his original designs makes it even harder for me to imagine that he would form a relationship with Maria. Looks like they were going more for a straight up out of control experiment gone wrong that needed to be put down route. And then the Biolizard, where does it fit in all of this?

Is there any concept art of that, too? Did they plan for two separate "ultimate life forms" from the start, too? Did they have anything else in mind for Shadow's backstory that was changed?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, Shadow's are horrible lol Cream's bottom two designs are similar to Marine. I like the top left Gamma design. Blaze's are all mostly good, but I quite like the bottom left one. Has a bit of an Arabian look to it. Top right Big is crazy. Such a different feel than what we got, despite not being very different. His bottom right design look Hanna Barbera-esque. He seems more like a laid-back stoner than the dumb guy we ended up getting (I'm not saying I don't like him, just that he's meant to be dumb)

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

Clxc3CqUsAA2wOE.jpg:large

Shadow and wisps

Shadow got the shit end of the stick. While most of the concepts for the other characters look like decent ideas every single one of his looks fucking terrible. It's a wonder how his design turned out so good.

• Thumbs Up 5

To be honest, I think most of these alternate concepts look significantly inferior to the final product, so I guess Sega chose rightly for the most part! It's still fascinating to see. The upper-right proto-Cream is quite cute though, I wonder what animal she was supposed to be? Also, I'm fascinated by the fact that she has toes. The Blaze concept in the upper right isn't bad either, and the Egg-Robo influence in the upper-right Gamma design is pretty interesting. Shadow's are all atrocious though, haha.

If any of these Shadow's designs had been used, mistake him with Sonic would indeed be plausible.

BTW, why are these concepts being shown just now? Something to do with the anniversary?

10 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

cc0151e27df82220ed36c56a83939920.png

5d62ed6bda946569816c35116b5193fb.png

Silver and Jet concept art

Oh, hello Venice T. Mink.

Also, where'd you get the Jet one. Can't wait for Rouge, Omega, Chaotix, and more.

10 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

Fun fact for everyone here:

On Sonic Retro, there were reports once of an interview had about Sonic Adventure 2 in a gaming magazine around 2000/2001 that talked about how the game's development was coming along. Within talking about it, there was mentioned concept artwork of a Shadow with a missing eye (and some notes of missing appendages??), Rouge's original name being Nails, and a theme where Shadow was literally a Chaos-esque monster with themes based around angels and demons (with Maria being an angel of some sort??). This also probably explains why the Biolizard feels like a tacked on idea, as I don't believe it was to be the final boss!

It was all so bizarre that despite it sounding all too interesting, no one could find the source to those claims (the interview seems lost to time). So people threw it under the bridge as fan fiction and didn't think about it actually having any factual info to it... until now, where Shadow's concept art reveals him with a scarred, single eye!

So yeah, guys. Shadow was gonna be way different than he ended out. Be thankful for what you got... or not.

• Thumbs Up 8

19 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

4598c8fa68f1027b04bcee23e158d397.png

Oh and forgot Boom Sonic

God, could you imagine any of those top ones in a Sonic themed game or show, especially the top right? The bottoms are okay-ish I guess but those top ones are absolute rubbish. The top right barely even resembles a Sonic styled thing, the quills and the triangular ears being the only real features that would even give you the impression it's supposed to be Sonic. That being said, it actually isn't all that bad if you ignore it's supposed to be Sonic, that could maybe work in some other show with some modifications. 

Even though final Boom Sonic isn't the best looking, at least it wasn't one of those. And I'm glad the pants didn't make it. 

On another note...

ClxfRibVEAE3KSZ.jpg Damn, I really like that middle top Blaze. I almost wish her final design looked like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Those Shadow designs are nightmare fuel. It's a goddamn miracle that the final design turned out as well as it did.

I don't really mind any of Blaze's concepts either. I prefer the final one above all, but they're still pretty appealing.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

Shadow and wisps

I kinda like the biological nightmare thing going on with the top right design, with what seems to be some kinda gross film over his eyes and a missing pupil.

23 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh and forgot Boom Sonic

Top right looks like something out of 101 Dalmations era Disney, it could've maybe worked in the era of vg cartoons that we're just loosely based off of the source material. I'm getting kinda Lunatics Unleashed vibes from the top left and bottom left ones...

• Thumbs Up 2

Ew, Shadow's early concept are the worst out of these. The scrap designs really look like some generic sonic ocs. 

38 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh and forgot Boom Sonic

I'm gonna be the oddball here but I don't think the early concepts are "bad". I think, character design-wise, there pretty interesting. However, yes, I have to agree that it looks too far from the sonic we know. It's super weird.

Blaze's early designs look very cool, including big too. I'm gonna go far into saying that some of them look better than the offical designs. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The genesis of generic Sonic ocs still looks like one in his early stages, lovely. Shadow's excusable for such since he was intended to be Sonic's Bizarro, and I like how the early concepts make him look like Sonic after being possessed by a Symbiote.

53 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh and forgot Boom Sonic

Oh my God XD The skin and fur arms are awful.

• Thumbs Up 2

XVy2HKs.jpg

Is it wrong I think that that bottom right design actually looks better than the final design? The rest of those are pretty damn nice too and I'm on the verge of saying the same for them. 

Clxe65VUYAAlAcy.jpg

Also, I quite like that bottom left design. I don't think it's completely fitting for Cream but I like it, it's got a more primal sorta thing going on like Sticks. Top left is cool too. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh my god, that hissing/snarling Big sketch is beautiful. Imagine Big in SA being more primal, like a sabertooth, running around on all fours and furiously slashing open badniks and E series bots in search of Froggy. Damn, I really want that now.

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks like Big was originally going to be a pretty Biggun, considering that scale Sonic model next to the top left design. He would've been bigger and taller than Eggman if the stuck with that. Almost friendly giant like...by comparison anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seriously, I think I just realized why I don't like Big's final design all that much in honesty. He always looked...so soulless and unemotional to me. Those concepts actually give him some life and make it look like he's actually there imo. I know not everyone will agree with me but they look more appealing than final Big.  

• Thumbs Up 3

EyFKoJ3.png

I actually really like the more Egg Robo-ish designs of the top two concepts, probably more so than Gamma's final design. Never was a fan of the backwards legs.

While I've never had a major issue with how the E-series robots looked, I also never felt like they fit that well with the general Sonic aesthetic that had been established at that point. Still, it is neat to see that they originally considered a more badnik-like approach to Gamma's design, probably back when they were still planning on using the classic designs for the rest of the cast.

• Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It looks like Big was originally going to be a pretty Biggun, considering that scale Sonic model next to the top left design. He would've been bigger and taller than Eggman if the stuck with that. Almost friendly giant like...by comparison anyway.

Technically, he already is by over a foot.

11 minutes ago, Clewis said:

EyFKoJ3.png

I actually really like the more Egg Robo-ish designs of the top two concepts, probably more so than Gamma's final design. Never was a fan of the backwards legs.

While I've never had a major issue with how the E-series robots looked, I also never felt like they fit that well with the general Sonic aesthetic that had been established at that point. Still, it is neat to see that they originally considered a more badnik-like approach to Gamma's design, probably back when they were still planning on using the classic designs for the rest of the cast.

The bottom left one looks the best to me actually. It's like halfway between the more Egg Robo style things and the final E-series design. I think that one pulls off the idea of a modern Egg-Robo really well. Don't know if I like it any more than the final design but it's really good nonetheless. It does fit better into the original Sonic style than the final design definitely though. 

Just now, Detective Reptiles said:

Technically, he already is by over a foot.

I couldn't tell, there was never a time where you could really compare heights. I'd always assumed they were about the same height.

2 hours ago, Azoo said:

Fun fact for everyone here:

On Sonic Retro, there were reports once of an interview had about Sonic Adventure 2 in a gaming magazine around 2000/2001 that talked about how the game's development was coming along. Within talking about it, there was mentioned concept artwork of a Shadow with a missing eye (and some notes of missing appendages??), Rouge's original name being Nails, and a theme where Shadow was literally a Chaos-esque monster with themes based around angels and demons (with Maria being an angel of some sort??). This also probably explains why the Biolizard feels like a tacked on idea, as I don't believe it was to be the final boss!

It was all so bizarre that despite it sounding all too interesting, no one could find the source to those claims (the interview seems lost to time). So people threw it under the bridge as fan fiction and didn't think about it actually having any factual info to it... until now, where Shadow's concept art reveals him with a scarred, single eye!

So yeah, guys. Shadow was gonna be way different than he ended out. Be thankful for what you got... or not.

That Shadow monster concept sounds gloriously fucked up. I don't think it would've fit in Sonic at all, but I'd still be very interested to see the concepts for it.

Maybe in those folders Ruby has...?

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I couldn't tell, there was never a time where you could really compare heights. I'd always assumed they were about the same height.

Officially, Eggmn is 185cm while Big is 220cm, so there's quite a gap. But yeah, it will be lack of opportunity to compare that hasn't helped.

I think the natural next character to get concept art revealed if any would be Rouge. She likely has an entirely original conception just like these others, so the changes to the final design would probably be quite different.

Wave and Storm seem like they would have been made to complement Jet after his design was more finalised, so I doubt too much change occured.

I definitely want to see the Chaotix, but they're weird. Their initial game designs probably didn't follow the same process as the other classic characters so who knows if Ohshima and Hoshina still have those. And between Chaotix and Heroes, there wouldn't have been that many grand changes considering that we know the prototype designs that probably influenced them, and some of the thought processes influencing certain changes. What I'd rather know is why certain personality aspects were added.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Reptiles said:

I definitely want to see the Chaotix, but they're weird. Their initial designs probably didn't follow the same process as the other classic characters so who knows if Ohshima and Hoshina still have those. And between Chaotix and Heroes, there wouldn't have been that many grand changes considering that we know the prototype designs that probably influenced them, and some of the thought processes influencing certain changes. What I'd rather know is why certain personality aspects were added.

Vector's and Charmy's in particular would be weird. Vector's been around as long as Sonic and Charmy is from that manga so yeah. 

• Thumbs Up 1