Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

7 hours ago, Azoo said:

I absolutely adore those background pieces, and I really wish we had some way to see them without those huge pictures of Sonic in the way.

Really makes me want to take a look at what they had in mind for Sonic before they decided it was just him and Eggman at the beginning. Everything I've seen of it just seems too cool.

sonic_1_alpha_art_remastered_by_meepmeep

That's right. They talked about how Madonna was scrapped, but I don't think they ever clarified about the monsters in this pic, if it all. I suppose this was before they made Eggman the main villain that used robots for an environmentalist message. Not sure if Sonic would have his animal buddies or his band at this point, either.

Also, I forgot to mention:

latest?cb=20081008133455

Someone brought up how proto-Shadow had a similar color scheme with Reala, along with his more burly arms.

7 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I'm wondering now if maybe SA2's story was written before the character designs had been finalized

I would imagine the two processes feed into each other.  The high-level staff bandy around ideas and settle on a story involving a dark Sonic-like character, and that gets sent to the character designers to put together some early concepts; as the story develops and gets drafted and redrafted, the designs keep on being sent back to be reworked according to the latest decisions, while preserving the design elements that worked best to start with and which may in themselves have helped to inspire the development of the story.

If you look at the early Shadow concepts, while they're extremely evil-looking and include stock villain clichés like a scarred eye, then there's actually a lot that carried forwards.  Predominantly monochrome colour scheme with red and yellow elements, rings around his wrists, additional spine markings, elements of his sneakers.  It's almost like the trimmings stayed the same even while the central idea changed.

...Pretty interesting that one of them looks like Metal Sonic, too.  Dark blue fur, black sclera and red iris...

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, all of this concept art is great!

I really liked cheetah Cream, so I attempted (quickly and not very well) to make a color scheme for that design:

QsI7PA4.jpg

Couldn't really tell if she was wearing pants, so I just gave her Marine's.

Also, I like the design for Blaze with that flame-apron thing. Never realized how much her final design doesn't really convey the "fire" thing at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Person said:

Wow, all of this concept art is great!

I really liked cheetah Cream, so I attempted (quickly and not very well) to make a color scheme for that design:

QsI7PA4.jpg

Nice coloring job :) May be rushed but it's good for what it accomplishes.

13 minutes ago, Person said:

Couldn't really tell if she was wearing pants, so I just gave her Marine's.

Actually, I don't think any of the Cream Concept Designs were wearing pants... I mean, let's not forget, the Cream we got doesn't wear pants. Sonic Team, you sickos

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2016 at 6:14 PM, ShroomZ said:

God, could you imagine any of those top ones in a Sonic themed game or show, especially the top right? The bottoms are okay-ish I guess but those top ones are absolute rubbish. The top right barely even resembles a Sonic styled thing, the quills and the triangular ears being the only real features that would even give you the impression it's supposed to be Sonic. That being said, it actually isn't all that bad if you ignore it's supposed to be Sonic, that could maybe work in some other show with some modifications. 

Even though final Boom Sonic isn't the best looking, at least it wasn't one of those. And I'm glad the pants didn't make it. 

On another note...

ClxfRibVEAE3KSZ.jpg Damn, I really like that middle top Blaze. I almost wish her final design looked like that.

I really like the "Burning Blaze" design, if indeed that's what it's supposed to be; I'd have liked to see her "burning" form looking more flame-like.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn, I really like the concept art for Lyric's Lair. That black and red color scheme is incredibly foreboding and just looks really cool to see, good thing that translated well in the game since I do think Lyric's Lair was a cool looking stage.

And that robot arm looks awfully familiar to the same robot thing Lyric was going to use at the end of Shattered Crystal until Boom Shadow came.

• 1 month later...
Spoiler
On 3/3/2017 at 8:20 PM, ShroomZed said:

SONIC CD ART FROM  @eguchi_1203 's TWITTER 

C57z_TvVUAA3IXn.jpg

C57z_xSUwAET-vB.jpg

C570AI7U8AAD8Xf.jpg

C570AfUUoAAwR71.jpg

C6A6chEUYAAWuCd.jpg

Really really epic shit never seen before. Check it out dudes. Was always wondering if we were going to see more of CD's concept art and here some of it is. Damn. Definitely some welcome stuff for those who sought to replicate CD's design in art and just for CD design enthusiasts in general. 

That second concept art sheet has a pose that seems to be referencing from the Sonic Material Collection art [Link]

58bb1094a27d9_SonicReferenceSheet.thumb.jpg.69a4251894b3fa5a6a587d886ff8d624.jpg

It's also great to see some more Sonic CD art as this was when I think Sonic had the best design overall.

Also on Sonic Retro somebody brought up that a Sega Beep Magazine was being sold and it contained Sonic CD sketches

EDIT: The post on Sonic Retro is found on The Supreme Topic Of 'Other' Knowledge board on page 319. 

58bb13cc7bc44_SonicCDArticle.thumb.jpg.5c5e16a8cebdc725ef7732128b2f0782.jpg 

One of these sketches is the one that has just been posted above but the other one is a storyboard of the opening animation. I hope this means that there is more Sonic CD art that will be found and uncovered.

• Thumbs Up 4

46 minutes ago, YuTwo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That second concept art sheet has a pose that seems to be referencing from the Sonic Material Collection art [Link]

58bb1094a27d9_SonicReferenceSheet.thumb.jpg.69a4251894b3fa5a6a587d886ff8d624.jpg

It's also great to see some more Sonic CD art as this was when I think Sonic had the best design overall.

Also on Sonic Retro somebody brought up that a Sega Beep Magazine was being sold and it contained Sonic CD sketches

58bb13cc7bc44_SonicCDArticle.thumb.jpg.5c5e16a8cebdc725ef7732128b2f0782.jpg 

One of these sketches is the one that has just been posted above but the other one is a storyboard of the opening animation. I hope this means that there is more Sonic CD art that will be found and uncovered.

Yes, I noticed that that pose was taken from Sonic 1 art myself!! Exciting stuff! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love it if someday we could find the animation cels for Sonic CD's cutscenes. I'm sure Toei, or someone who worked for Toei, has some tucked away somewhere.

56 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

I'd love it if someday we could find the animation cels for Sonic CD's cutscenes. I'm sure Toei, or someone who worked for Toei, has some tucked away somewhere.

Maybe, but I've heard that Toei is really bad when it comes to storing their old stuff.

If not them, then perhaps Sega might have some. And I've heard that about Toei myself, I'm surprised they still have all the old Dragon Ball stuff to release in so many different sets. If those cels are gone forever that's a real shame.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, beautiful. Those Sonic CD concept art sketches really show how amazing Sonic's design, specifically his classic design, can be.

I've noticed the curvature of Sonic's spines seems more obvious in these sketches than in the Sonic CD cutscenes, where his spines tend to look more sharply angular. I slightly prefer the look in the sketches as it seems more consistent with Sonic's design in general. The design in the cutscenes is overall amazing, but he just doesn't look quite himself without that detail, in my humble opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Ugh, beautiful. Those Sonic CD concept art sketches really show how amazing Sonic's design, specifically his classic design, can be.

I've noticed the curvature of Sonic's spines seems more obvious in these sketches than in the Sonic CD cutscenes, where his spines tend to look more sharply angular. I slightly prefer the look in the sketches as it seems more consistent with Sonic's design in general. The design in the cutscenes is overall amazing, but he just doesn't look quite himself without that detail, in my humble opinion.

The difference is especially notable on this one 

C57z_xSUwAET-vB.jpg

You are correct that in the animation Sonic's spines especially from the side view have almost no curvature, with the bottom head spine and the background one being entirely angular, with only the top edges of the middle and top spine being curved. His back spine is also longer, takes up a larger percent of his back, and is notably much more curved while in the cutscenes it is entirely angular. The vertice of his bottom and middle head spines is also a length above his muzzle here as opposed to the animation. Also his ears seem slightly narrower and taller in the drawings in general. 

For comparison: 

751913b2f5384c688020f4910baa2c64.png

fe7a1bdbfa744dd4a4badc53aa3ec51a.png

His spines are notably more angular in the front shots compared to the concept art as well: 

3a731465e7284434aa92c42e3da6c051.png

And the drawing of him leaning on the wall reminds me of this one: 

5e8f2b8846a546daa07fecdfb1c5e499.png

If they put that one in the final animation his spines would most likely look like this. 

I think that the curvature looks a bit better myself, and it is astute of you to notice it and say that he looks a bit more like "Sonic" with the curves which I always thought myself, as when his spines are more angular, it always seemed like a much more distinct design if you know what I mean. I'm gonna guess they decided to make his spines more angular so it was easier to animate?? I dunno. I'm pretty ignorant tbh when it comes to animation so if someone has a better answer besides that say so.

• Thumbs Up 5

That last one makes me laugh 'cos it looks like his head is scrunched up against the ceiling.

So I was on Sonic Retro in the "Other Knowledge" topic (Specifically Page 322) and someone links to a magazine article from Sega Force. There reason for linking it was to show how press wasn't allowed to preview some games due to a policy by Sega. (Page 6 in the magazine that's linked)

By itself it's unrelated to this topic but within that same magazine a few pages down it had discussed the Japanese Sega World event where Sonic CD was showcased.

Here's a link to that magazine: http://retrocdn.net/images/8/85/SegaForce_UK_15.pdf (Sonic CD information is on Page 8)

Apparently during the event they had animation cels on display:

58c8373233d44_SonicCDInfo.thumb.jpg.01ef9750a63807b14981e5112bc68e25.jpg

Here's the cels by themselves:

58c8378af1a53_SonicCDCels.thumb.jpg.05476a334347c2aa249f8ae37e2c6dca.jpg

It's rather interesting to keep on finding more and more Sonic CD art. I truly hope these were preserved in some way but I sadly doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 1 month later...

These pieces are, apparently.

859944_d193f69e64d8419bbe0d6527f20a862f.

859944_4647a13015e54ce282a029494e8b43b4.

859944_aa3e7905e8f64b9dab24ed295bb8992f.

Middle one is definitely Super Monkey Ball. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Think the bottom one might be Samba De Amigo. Think that's a statue of Amigo with a maraca and those mountains are also maraca shaped.