big think

Sonic Concept Art

So I didn't see anyone post this information and I myself didn't know where to post this so I'm going to put it on this topic.

So I was going through the Retro page on Sonic CD's development again to see if there was any new discoveries with either sketches or cels.

I was going through the Animation Cels section and quickly noticed this:

592cd9ab70539_SonicCDCel2.thumb.jpg.28b142fde9150dca952f73bf0f591e9b.jpg

This was uploaded recently in that section.

These are the same animation cels I had previously discussed about:

58ee5b9963343_SonicCDCel.thumb.jpg.9306dd069eb86b295bfe17710e0b358b.jpg 

The post I made a while ago: https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/21989-naoto-ohshimas-facebook-god-damn-amazing/#comment-1102048

A brief rundown of that post is that these animation cels seemed to be in the possession of someone who had won them off a competition.

Seeing as this was a new picture of the cels I wanted to find out the source of this one as I did with the first picture of the cels.

I found the source of the new picture which ended up being on a tweet that was actually from a month ago (April 11) so it seems like this was obscure for a while as it was just uploaded on Retro just a few days ago (May 24)

Here's the tweet:

The translation for that tweet is:

I have this for me
I got it at a game show
It is a heirloom.

Within the comments he adds more information on how he won it:

Here's the translation for the information:

By the way it was acquired In the '97 Spring Game Show 's "Sonic Jam" corner you can have a challenge to collect rings of Sonic World (3D stage) several times a day, when you are nominated and you achieve Norma you got a cell picture. Because I was not named on the first day, on the second day I went there in the morning and I managed to appoint somehow

I will keep emphasizing that the translations aren't 100% correct but it seems like what I thought was a Sonic CD competition turned out to be a Sonic Jam one.

They even mention the previously written problem on the delay of receiving the cel.

It's actually pretty interesting to see that it's the same person who has still kept these framed cels all these years because I was wondering if we will ever see another picture of it surface again considering that the last time it was uploaded was back in 2002 in that old website so to see a new picture of it is amazing.

That still brings up the other cels that were at the Sega World event:

58c8378af1a53_SonicCDCels.thumb.jpg.05476a334347c2aa249f8ae37e2c6dca.jpg  

Were these cels also prizes in the competition and if they were who has them now?

3 minutes ago, Detective Shadzter said:

http://www.koo-ki.co.jp/archives/works/5906

Found what appears to be an early version of the Sonic Free Riders theme. It was uploaded 4 years ago by a company in Japan called Koo-Ki that creates motion image works for TV, movies and video games.

Ah, the glorious return of the "We haven't got lyrics here so we'll just dah dah over it". Not heard that since the early version of the Heroes theme.

37 minutes ago, Detective Shadzter said:

http://www.koo-ki.co.jp/archives/works/5906

Found what appears to be an early version of the Sonic Free Riders theme. It was uploaded 4 years ago by a company in Japan called Koo-Ki that creates motion image works for TV, movies and video games.

Anyone able to back it up?

Yeap, seen it flying around for a while though so it's not a new discovery. I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned it around here before, but nevertheless cool.

Just found the tumblr of an SOA artist called Rafa Knight.

http://rafaknight-rk.tumblr.com/

Most interesting of the recent posts is one labelled 'Some old Sega of America stuff', particularly this image.

tumblr_inline_on9upcUol11tuyxd7_540.jpg

http://rafaknight-rk.tumblr.com/post/158754194510/rafaknight-rk-some-old-sega-of-america-stuff

Oh yeah Rafa, I remember Aaron saying one time how they commissioned some fans to make some art for the social media, most notable was Rafa. I recally the 3D render of Sonic and Amy and the Halloween art were done by Knight. Rafa has also done plenty of art for the Archie Comics, any 3D art you see on the covers were done by Rafa as well.

Rafa Knight is another one of those fans that can put SEGA's own efforts to shame. Some of the renders look a bit chunky, but generally they're all much more dynamic and expressive than what  SEGA output usually. The Classic Sonic ones are particularly brilliant. 

10 hours ago, Detective Shadzter said:

Lead slippers aside. my eyes were immediately drawn to what he's got on his wrist.

That is Chip's necklace. Thats not exactly something you throw on a render for no reason I wonder what all this was about.

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I got confirmation from Naoto Oshima himself that the name of the character on the far right is named "Max the Parrot"

Max’s pose seems to originate from an early concept art for a blue chicken-like character during the development of Sonic 1.

GD_Sonic1_Concept_Sonic_02.png

Ah, solid confirmation of what I'd figured all along; they were designed by Kusonoki. It's also confirmed that they weren't designed for anything other than SegaSonic the Hedgehog. 

Not sure if Max is entirely new or an amalgamation of some of the band idea (Sharps was supposed to be a Parakeet in the end, and the monkey character was called Max). He must have liked Vector a lot more than past events would indicate if he was the one being refined well into 1992 (or even 1993). And then got pinched for Chaotix...

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Max’s pose seems to originate from an early concept art for a blue chicken-like character during the development of Sonic 1.

GD_Sonic1_Concept_Sonic_02.png

Yeah, it was one of many character designs they came up with until they settled on a blue hedgehog.

I just took a picture of the same image which was in the 2016 concept-art book.

rapsg8c.jpg

Didn't know his name was "Max the Parrott". Nice!

44 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Ah, solid confirmation of what I'd figured all along; they were designed by Kusonoki. It's also confirmed that they weren't designed for anything other than SegaSonic the Hedgehog. 

This was also revealed in the recently released "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 3", along with other interesting pieces of information. (You'll like this.) Extracts from the interview with Naoto Ohshima:

JS: You're credited on Knuckles Chaotix as character designer. Do you know about its Mega Drive prototype called Sonic Crackers? <shows comparison screens>

NO: I don't think I was directly involved with this. But... I believe I was asked to design this character, Vector the Crocodile, and this character here, Charmy Bee.

JS: Fans think the crescent on Knuckles' chest was to be the Nike logo as part of a sponsorship deal which fell through. Is that actually true?

NO:
 Oh, I wouldn't know. After I became famous for designing the original Sonic the Hedgehog I had younger members of the team design subsequent characters, in the hope that they would be able to share in the series' success. So a variety of artists ended up designing the rest of the Sonic characters. Tails was designed by someone named [Yasushi] Yamaguchi, and Knuckles was... Let's see... That was the work of [Takashi] Yuda, who worked on Space Channel 5. [Manabu] Kusunoki, who you'll interview next, designed Mighty the Armadillo from Chaotix. And this one in the middle here, with the horns, was designed by a manga artist named [Takumi] Miyake. He went on to be the art director for NiGHTS.

Buy the book to show your support: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/books/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers-volume-3/

Manabu Kusunoki is also interviewed in the book:

JS: So you created the two new characters?

MK: Yes, I designed the armadillo [Mighty] and flying squirrel [Ray] characters. I did come up with backstories for them, but I can't recall them anymore. I do recall why I chose those two animals, though. In order for them to control just like Sonic did, they needed to be animals that could have the same proportions, with heads that were roughly half the size of the body. And since the game starred a hedgehog, which is a relatively obscure animal, I wanted his companions to be equally unusual.

JS: And I believe you also created characters for Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X?

MK: No, that was not me. That was a different artist working at Sega.

So his credit in Chaotix was purely for being the original designer of Mighty.

Why was the book not mentioned BEFORE the shoe analysis I did a couple of weekends ago?!

I mean, at least I came to the right answer through the most abstract means possible, so I can't be completely crazy. 

But Charmy...that's kinda weird given that Hoshino has implicated himself in the creation of Charmy (and the credits back him, not Ohshima). Then again, Charmy has a different design in Chaotix to the one seen in the Manga which was likely used as the basis for Heroes, plus even Amy seems to have been a part collab between the two of them. Hmm. Maybe Hoshino was the legit character creator, while Ohshima was approached to for the Chaotix version. Or maybe Ohshima designed the very, very first design (which...isn't out of the question. It has a lot of Ohshima hallmarks now that I look at it), and Hoshino tweaked it into the second jacketed design?

But then, that would make the planning stages of Chaotix date back to 1992, Sonic 3 barely started in 1992. 

Edit: Yeah, pretty sure the latter is how it went down now. Thanks Fantasy Factory and Edgy the Hedgy. 

22 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

But Charmy...that's kinda weird given that Hoshino has implicated himself in the creation of Charmy (and the credits back him, not Ohshima). Then again, Charmy has a different design in Chaotix to the one seen in the Manga which was likely used as the basis for Heroes, plus even Amy seems to have been a part collab between the two of them. Hmm. Maybe Hoshino was the legit character creator, while Ohshima was approached to for the Chaotix version. Or maybe Ohshima designed the very, very first design (which...isn't out of the question. It has a lot of Ohshima hallmarks now that I look at it), and Hoshino tweaked it into the second jacketed design?

But then, that would make the planning stages of Chaotix date back to 1992, Sonic 3 barely started in 1992. 

What did Hoshino say about Charmy?

Sango Morimoto's rendition of Charmy was really weird and different, but a lot of his characters greatly differed from the Sega of Japan concept art we've seen. His Anton for example. The other artist's depiction of Charmy is very close how he looks in Chaotix. I don't know why you think otherwise?

I remember the topic of whether or not Charmy is wearing a shirt/jacket came up once or twice on message boards, before Sonic Heroes and before we knew about the manga version. It's the "bump", which is even more obvious in the sketchy manual illustration.

j1DoEfP.jpg

Look at the way his leg connects to his body in that bottom picture. Look how the "bump" wraps around.

And now look at how the modern Charmy's jacket has the exact same "bump".

N2SJDpG.png

I'm convinced that 32X Charmy was always supposed to be wearing a jacket (with weird shoulder pads). It just wasn't very obvious because they decided to make it yellow with a black stripe just like a bee's body. 

It's weird because Chaotix Charmy doesn't look like something Ohshima would design for Sonic. Ohshima was one for simple accessories and basic solid designs, and Charmy's Chaotix design is neither of those. The original Charmy has way more in common with the 1920's cartoons that Ohshima liked to take inspiration from, and it's more in line with his simplified style. That's why I'm suspicious.