Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

The quills are so long they look they they might as well be echidnas. but with Sonic's face.

Rolls out of bed

That might have actually been intentional. Some of shadow's concept art is mad buff, and given he's always been super strong. They may have went " Strong like knuckles fast like sonic " and literally combined their designs. That said even after all the changes, there subtile aspects of shadow designs that actually adhere to that still, which speaks to the strength of the final design and sonic designs in general

• 7 months later...

So here's some fun little ditties from Archie: Originally, the Deadly Six were supposed to have custom armor modeled/inspired by their mechs in Lost World, but SEGA felt they obscured them too much. Designed by Mr. Flynn himself with touch ups from Dan Schoening, they were shared on the former's deviant art with commentary on how they turned out. 

unused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_zunused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_zunused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_z

unused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_zunused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_zunused_worlds_unite_concepts___armored_z

Seems like Zavok and Zomom  were the only 2 who would've benefited from those designs...

On 6/29/2018 at 12:31 AM, DabigRG said:

Hope I'm not stepping out of bounds doing this, but here's concept art for the Phantom Ruby's host.

Hide contents

File:Infiniteconcept3.jpg

File:Infiniteconcept4.jpgFile:Infiniteconcept5.jpgFile:Infiniteconceptfinal.jpg

These are some interesting designs. I like seeing concept art for characters. If Infinite ever does return in some form or another in future games, I think it'd be interesting to see if they decided to mix a bit of these in, maybe even alt designs?

21 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Seems like Zavok and Zomom  were the only 2 who would've benefited from those designs...

How so?

5 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

These are some interesting designs. I like seeing concept art for characters. If Infinite ever does return in some form or another in future games, I think it'd be interesting to see if they decided to mix a bit of these in, maybe even alt designs?

Perhaps.

Or at the very least, make the Bison a separate character--please SonicTeam, get on that.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

All the others look bad...

Really? I honestly wish Zeena's in particular was used at somepoint.

Although Master Zik does look silly as hell.

I totally forgot what the armor design looked in the comics and had to go look it up.

Side by side for comparison:

2032627343_whydidit.png.bd7e98bbac2e82a2047e49b8ada5abab.png   whydidimakethis.png.b84779cc0f38b5445db5084285b6d03e.png

Given the context (Created by the doctors under Sigma's orders) I'd say the final design is better. It does look dull but at least it looks uniform. The concept one looks weird especially when you don't know the reference. It's like they were asked to make their own halloween costume.

I'd say the ideal solution was to have the final design as base, plus some color/accessories from the references. LIke giving a group of people the exact same clothes to customize.

• 4 months later...
Just now, Sonictrainer said:

After reading today's news article, it's interesting to see that Nack was originally shorter than Sonic

EjxVuQhUwAEVbLc?format=jpg&name=large

The shorter height appears to stem from the Dipodidae (Jerboa). Being based off of a small rodent, Fang himself would have been a small character.

Jerboa.thumb.jpg.edb40d103849fc6e3386fedbae2db26b.jpg

I'm guessing Fang was made taller when it was decided he would also be a wolf hybrid.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, MainJP said:

The shorter height appears to stem from the Dipodidae (Jerboa). Being based off of a small rodent, Fang himself would have been a small character.

Jerboa.thumb.jpg.edb40d103849fc6e3386fedbae2db26b.jpg

I'm guessing Fang was made taller when it was decided he would also be a wolf hybrid.

He's said before that the "half wolf" part was never his intention when designing the character, it was something the sales department added.

In another reply he says that Fang ended up being as tall as Sonic because he needed more pixels to get all the design details in.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/7/2020 at 1:26 AM, KoDaiko said:

I totally forgot what the armor design looked in the comics and had to go look it up.

Side by side for comparison:

2032627343_whydidit.png.bd7e98bbac2e82a2047e49b8ada5abab.png   whydidimakethis.png.b84779cc0f38b5445db5084285b6d03e.png

Given the context (Created by the doctors under Sigma's orders) I'd say the final design is better. It does look dull but at least it looks uniform. The concept one looks weird especially when you don't know the reference. It's like they were asked to make their own halloween costume.

I'd say the ideal solution was to have the final design as base, plus some color/accessories from the references. LIke giving a group of people the exact same clothes to customize.

Master Zik: Did I ever tell you I got a role in the school play?

Zavok: I want a dragon to choke on me.

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

After reading today's news article, it's interesting to see that Nack was originally shorter than Sonic

EjxVuQhUwAEVbLc?format=jpg&name=large

Oh wow, interesting. Guess it would've made his harmless/clumsy nature more apparent while further distinguishing him from Eggman and Knuckles.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I'm a newbie, BUT...
Have you seen some concepts for Chaos from Sonic Adventure? (or Sonic & Knuckles if he was referenced from it)???

I tried but couldn't find anything. Please, help... I spent a lot of time on this...

2 hours ago, Maxick said:

Sorry, I'm a newbie, BUT...
Have you seen some concepts for Chaos from Sonic Adventure? (or Sonic & Knuckles if he was referenced from it)???

I tried but couldn't find anything. Please, help... I spent a lot of time on this...

The earliest artwork with Chaos that I know of is from the original storyboards for the beginning of Sonic's story and this drawing of Perfect Chaos by Naoto Oshima. Chaos looks nearly identical to his final designs in both.

Some speculate that the creature featured in the concept artwork from the MTV Sonic & Knuckles Special on the top left (6:00) next to Super Sonic might be a proto design for Chaos.

I'm sorry that I can't be any more helpful then that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:53 AM, MainJP said:

Every single other design was better:

latest?cb=20190206095404

I prefer Shadow's final design, but this scarred design would've made more sense in-continuity since it actually looks like Sonic. Hell, the story was probably written when he still had this design; half of Shadow's files in Sa2 still refer to him as "Terios" after all.

latest?cb=20170713102718latest?cb=20180326123321

I am thrilled Shadow did not turn out like these concepts,  in fact these look like Scourge concept art. 

6BE3A594-CD24-49A1-A1BF-7935C729F132.jpeg.bc2f1d27e64f5cfdcfb98c4c62ab6d36.jpeg

1 hour ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

The earliest artwork with Chaos that I know of is from the original storyboards for the beginning of Sonic's story and this drawing of Perfect Chaos by Naoto Oshima. Chaos looks nearly identical to his final designs in both.

Some speculate that the creature featured in the concept artwork from the MTV Sonic & Knuckles Special on the top left (6:00) next to Super Sonic might be a proto design for Chaos.

Never seen those storyboard etc. images before... wow. Really takes me back to another era (admittedly one I was mostly too little to remember or experience). I'll say it a million times: despite it being a very flawed game, there will never be another game like Sonic Adventure, and never another era like the jump to 3D. Just look at how much they promoted it and all they did to accomplish it, all the stages it went through... I never get tired of seeing all that went into it. 

Also all I see at the 6-minute mark is blurriness. xD Can't make anything out.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

I am thrilled Shadow did not turn out like these concepts,  in fact these look like Scourge concept art.

The bottom left Sonic redesign entry in this image. Oh God. We really dodged a bullet there. ._.

20 minutes ago, Angyu said:

Never seen those storyboard etc. images before... wow. Really takes me back to another era (admittedly one I was mostly too little to remember or experience). I'll say it a million times: despite it being a very flawed game, there will never be another game like Sonic Adventure, and never another era like the jump to 3D. Just look at how much they promoted it and all they did to accomplish it, all the stages it went through... I never get tired of seeing all that went into it. 

Also all I see at the 6-minute mark is blurriness. xD Can't make anything out.

The bottom left Sonic redesign entry in this image. Oh God. We really dodged a bullet there. ._.

I recall a concept art of Shadow with only a red diamond on his forehead and more traditonal Sonic spines. 

I’ll try and find it. 

13 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

So glad none of these concepts became reality for Shadow either:

Tbh the bottom left looks okay.

Also that possible Chaos pic looks more like Onix. xD

Shadow's concept designs have been discussed to death over the years, but I still think that Sonic Team made the right design in the end with the design that they went with. The whole plot point about Shadow being mistaken for Sonic is a bit contrived, I'll admit. But it's not the biggest stretch in the world and it doesn't challenge my suspension of disbelief, especially when you consider just how few anthros were present in the games back then. Bonus points for Shadow being another hedgehog capable of running absurdly fast. Had they gone with a design that made Shadow look more like Sonic, it would have been more difficult to see Shadow as his own entity. He'd always have been an anti-Sonic. I'm not going to pretend that Shadow was ever a particularly deep and nuanced character at even the best of times, but he's been able to stand on his own two feet in part because of his design being so distinct from Sonic's. Not to mention that we already have Metal Sonic to fulfill the anti-Sonic role. 

People are never going to stop making all the "lol so edgy" jokes. And on paper, it's easy to write him off an an evil Sonic; he looks like Super Sonic but he's black and red and wears rocket shoes. But ultimately Shadow's final design is pretty perfect. It conveys a lot whilst remaining simple and uncluttered. The guy looks sleek. His concept art provides an interesting insight into how one of the best characters in the series started off.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still cannot fathom why some people would prefer for Shadow to be some clone of Sonic, and eliminate everything about him that's unique.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean he is still a clone of Sonic in some aspects. Pushing the doppelganger angle harder wouldn't require losing "everything" unique about him.

That said they absolutely made the right choice as far as designs that we've seen, even if it makes the whole mistaken identity thing harder to buy into.