Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art

His leg looks really weird and is wrapped around his other leg whilst his tail is visible under his two back spines.

i know i was kidding :V

i know i was kidding :V

I'm too serious XD So never mind me.

Anyways, these are incredibly weird takes on Erazor and Shahra compared to their final iterations;

800px-03_15_ZM.png

800px-03_07_ZM.png

Me thinks that SatSR's art style was initially more fantasy-ish than the greater level of realism seen in the final version.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

Anyways, these are incredibly weird takes on Erazor and Shahra compared to their final iterations;

Me thinks that SatSR's art style was initially more fantasy-ish than the greater level of realism seen in the final version.

To be honest, I actually like those designs more than the ones seen in the final version. They seem much more fitting with Sonic...

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, the look a lots more stylized and less realistic and bland, which I like.

sQxqa.png

She had this weird thing during development.

Edited by NovusToonami Ordo
  • Thumbs Up 8

SonicXtremeConceptArt03.jpg

I've always loved this piece of concept work from Sonic X-tream, I mean just look at the amount paths and imagine a modern game with paths like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good finds from all of you.

Some Marine sketches.

Artworksg3dsmarinev1.png

Artworksg3dsmarinev2.png

Now that I look at her, Marine's head is the same shape as Tails's, didn't noticed that till now.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 7

The bottom image looks like a Mayan temple zone in a good future. =P

Looking at how everything is sparkly, I think it would've been Eldorado.

Kind of reminds me of Unleashed's humans.

Some level concepts for Sonic 2.

S2concept-3.pngS2concept-2.pngS2concept-1.png

Sky Chase, Emerald Hill, Hill Top, & Chemical Plant Zone. Also, I love the way Sonic and Tails are drawn, it looks cute. xD

Edited by Fix-It Felix
  • Thumbs Up 5

Wow those Erazor/Shahra designs are quite different from what we ended up with,I actually prefer the more cartoony/comical look to them.

More Unleashed concepts/Night of the Werehog ref goodies!

142d6h5.jpg15e8m0y.jpg25fhn2w.jpg9sfl03.jpg2a0dc1l.jpg

I just love how they based the Ghost's design off a goat.

@Komodin

Hmm,they might aswell be.Or just completely unrelated enemy designs that didn't make the cut.

Here are some other variations of the Titan/Big Mother mini-bosses.

und6x.jpg

I just love how they based the Ghost's design off a goat.

*geek mode* It's actually a type of longhorn cattle ;D

Edited by Kimb
  • Thumbs Up 1

These are some fairly well-known early Sonic designs, but I never saw the bottom-left one before.

455px-260017-s1_needlemouse_super.jpg

Beautiful.

One thing I always wondered about, is it me or does the top-right one have a moustache?

Sonic on the bottom right looks strangely cute regardless the harsh expression, probably partly that I think he's actually even stouter than his settled design, and scruffier, the effect is he looks a tad more like a real hedgehog.

Hm, Eggman's about to smash poor Tails' Miles Electric? What a jerk!

The Miles Electric didn't exist yet tongue.png

I found this pretty cool box concept, I do prefer Sonic's pose here, the background's a bit generic though, it's also really low res, maybe it's a photocopy? That white mark next to Sonic's eye does look like maybe the image that was photocopied got scratched, or there was a small object in the photocopier with it.

Note Shahra's ring doesn't have any detail on it.

02_12_ZM.png

I came across an expression sheet for Sonic himself which was concept art for Sonic Adventure, haven't seen it since; seems to be rare, anyone have it or know somewhere it's hosted?

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm too serious XD So never mind me.

Honestly, Erazor Djinn looks laughably bad and Shahra's looks rather neutral. It's fine, but I kind of see why they went with her final one.

This one isn't new, but I found a better size than the original one posted since it was too small for my tastes.

001vbcm.jpg

Yeah, I kinda prefer the concept as well. Some things tend to get lost in translation to CG, and some of the enthusiasm apparent in the original sketch is proof of this(or just a matter of some things "working better in 2D" from an artistic stand point).

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 3

This one isn't new, but I found a better size than the original one posted since it was too small for my tastes.

*larger pic*

Yeah, I kinda prefer the concept as well. Some things tend to get lost in translation to CG, and some of the enthusiasm apparent in the original sketch is proof of this(or just a matter of some things "working better in 2D" from an artistic stand point).

Much agreed. When if comes to the CG art, everything is rendered so perfectly it all looks quite generic and you loose the effect of some things. Like Sonic's spikes. In the 2D art he has three clearly defined and sharp looking spikes. In the 3D art he's got 4 partially visible, much less striking ones. And on top of that you have his brow, Tails' hair, Tails' ears and DAT MOUTH looking better in 2D also.

• Thumbs Up 2

More Unleashed concepts/Night of the Werehog ref goodies!

142d6h5.jpg15e8m0y.jpg25fhn2w.jpg

As I've said before, these concept art sheets conclusively confirm that the horned ghost's name is Baker (ベイカー Beikaa) whilst the female ghost's name is Raa/Laa (ラー Raa)

To my knowledge, the following concept art of "Downtown" (That's what the katakana reads) was not used at all in Sonic X;

downtown.png

I honestly believe that it's supposed to be of the city depicted in the intro/beginning of episode 52 of Sonic X that is located in Sonic's homeworld as it looks very reminscient of Sonic's world ands because nothing vaguely like this appears on Earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Drawn in the same more animalistic style as the first ever known concept art, poor little guy still doesn't have a name, drawings are still a little rough, they haven't been putting the polish into this.

S1concept-HEDGEHOG.png

Same style put into logos, the middle one seems to say "My name is faster." his quills look neater already, some of those scruffy quills were probably scruffy drawing, though in the earliest concept he has a kinked quill that looks quite deliberate.

SonicTheHedgehogLogoCollection.jpg

Note that in his earliest concepts (which are Japanese) he tends towards a slightly more agressive air that more closely matches his American 'buttface' counterpart than does his later Japanese artworks.

Introducing...

Blaze the cat

You know what? Something like this would have made an awesome 'burning Blaze', who said super forms had to be bright and shiny? Especially regarding Sol emeralds as opposed to chaos emeralds.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Sonic Unleashed art is fantastic. The game is still the best looking Sonic game.

You have the dynamic duo team of Gurihiru to thank for all the human designs and the ghost designs in the game.

Their art blog is here:http://gurihiru.blogspot.com/

Also I prefer the more cartoony designs of Erazor and Sharha over that realistic junk, fits more better with the cartoony Sonic anthro's.

Edited by Dantemustdie00