Awoo.

Monster's University

Winston

My problem with prequels is that they rarely focus on the exact same characters as we know them. Having a prequel throws out whatever character development they experienced in the first movie, placing them back onto square one (or perhaps even further back than that, if they're much more immature and obnoxious in their early years), and ultimately I never get as attached to it as I did for the original installment. A sequel to Monster's, Inc. would have been one thing, but a prequel makes me disappointed that we won't get to see the same characters as they were by the end of the original. There's also the fact that we already know what will happen.

Brave is fine, but that's about it. It's not a bad film, it's actually pretty good, it's just not as good as other Pixar films.

And Toy Story 4 would ruin the ending to Toy Story 3, it really would. Toy Story 3 ended on that special note that spelt "The end of their adventure" in plain writing, Andy would mean nothing if they really do another which is pretty sad.

Honestly, I'm not that bothered by the idea of a Toy Story 4. The first three movies covered a particular arc: Andy getting tired/giving up on the toys. If a fourth movie started a brand new arc then it'd have little bearing on the last few movies. Besides, I liked the Toy Story shorts that came out after TS3.

We've had a series of sequels that are in that rare position of being just as perfect as their predecessors, so while I don't doubt that that trend may possibly break with more films that come out (and the odds of that increase with each installment of any given series), I do believe the higher ups at Pixar value the integrity of the Toy Story properties far more than some others, like Cars.

And I wouldn't say that TS3 was the end of their adventure, so much as a start of a new one. There is no harm in either continuing that on-screen or leaving it up to the viewers' imagination, so if a fourth movie comes out, I will be looking forward to it, while I won't be bothered if it doesn't. Then again, I do think some of the majesty of the TS movies comes from how they connect to each other very deeply, so a fourth movie would break that trend if it was on something new.

I wouldn't really want a Toy Story 4 just because Toy Story 3 was SUCH a perfect ending.  Anything that comes after would be a step down in "epicness" and would inevitably lead to a conclusion for the series that is nowhere near as satisfying as TS3 currently is.

I like the shorts they've been doing because they are just that... shorts.  Lighthearted adventures that show the fun continues but damnit they really managed to hold onto their happy ending.  And after the trials they've been through they damn earned that happy ending.

I can't quite understand the pessimism towards Monsters U based off Cars 2 and Brave though.  Yes... they made some movies that weren't as great as their others... but they also made Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Up, Ratatouille and Wall-E.  They slip up once on a movie aimed much more heavily at little kids and much more Disney influenced than anything else they've done, and then produce the breathtaking Brave that is only "lesser" than the others in the sense that it lacked the Pixar "cleverness" or "uniqueness" most of their films have.  As a film it's still leagues above a lot of animation out there.

And these two things suddenly mean all faith in Pixar is lost?  I mean geez.

I agree with Sean though that it sucks that these won't be the same characters we know from the first movie, though the first movie had such a beautifully non-revealing ending I'd still rather have a prequel over a sequel that either spoiled the unseen grown-up Boo, or just had her not in it for some reason.

Recently, though, Pixar goes sequel happy with Cars 2 and now Toy Story 4, Finding Nemo 2, Planes and Monster University. Why Toy Story 4? Seriously, why? Toy Story 3 had probably the most perfect ending of any movie I've ever seen. Finding Nemo 2? Why? Has Marlin not learned how to let his son grow? Has Nemo forgotten the heroics of his father? What else is there to this story that needs to be told? And Planes, well.

Toy Story 4 has been confirmed to not exist in any form other than Disney having signed on Woody and Buzz's VA's to do another movie IF there ever is one (worth mentioning that The Simpsons VA's have been signed on to do three movies for like, over a decade or two now - it means nothing, it's just a safety net).

Finding Nemo 2 is still only heavily rumoured currently.

Planes is a spin-off not created by Pixar but Disney.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm more disappointed in Monsters University for being a prequel rather than the success of their last couple movies, though those did diminish the buzz I would normally have for a Pixar movie before its release. With few possible exceptions, I detest prequels since I never find them nearly as engaging, since I usually can tell exactly where they'll go next as well as the audience having to force themselves to disregard the events of the original movie in their mind while still being subliminally hammered into them that said events will occur.

Finding Nemo 2 is still only heavily rumoured currently.

I thought they confirmed Finding Nemo 2? I remember reading somewhere Ellen was going to reprise her role as Dory, or maybe I'm just thinking of how many times she talks about Finding Nemo 2..I'm serious, that woman mentions a Finding Nemo 2 atleast two or three episodes on every season of her show. 

Finding Nemo 2 has been confirmed already and the aiming release year for it is 2016.

I have faith in the Monster's Inc. prequel. Rewatching the movie the other day, and it wasn't like there was a major growth of character throughout the movie. Mike and Sully remained largely the same throughout the movie. It felt like they were already at the maximum potential they could be at with each other in terms of their friendship, and the story revolved more around external conflicts rather than internal. Heck, the two main characters weren't even what really hooked me onto the movie, it was the whole universe that surrounded them and how it interacted with the human world. 

There were so many relationships already established at the beginning of Monster's Inc, and I'd really like to see how they were formed initially. Also, we'd get to see more of the colorful universe Pixar has painted, somewhere outside the bleak walls of the factory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finding Nemo 2 has been confirmed already and the aiming release year for it is 2016.

I think I remember hearing this too, but this doesn't make any sense after this post.

The Finding Nemo director is working on a different movie, and Finding Nemo 2 isn't mentioned anywhere. My only guess is that Finding Nemo 2 is the 5th movie and has been pushed back.

• 1 month later...

Looks good! I skipped Cars 2 and Brave in the theater, but Monsters U will be hard to pass up. Love John Goodman, and the whole Monsters universe. Just hope there is a bit of emotion to the film and its not just straight up comedy. 

Woot! Gonna love this film, the first Monsters inc was really good! Seein Randall makes me happy, he was one of my fave characters really. Such an evil little... also I think it's bein quite funny! Except the slug joke. Saw that one coming.

Oh wow, that was actually really great. Saw Monsters Inc. a few weeks ago with my buddy and it was really great fun, haha. We're definitely going to catch this one in the theater.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dangly_zps366ea740.png?t=1360617791

cupcakes_zpsd21d553e.png

I'm calling something happening that makes Randall from "nice boy who happens to be dedicated to scaring" to "asshole who's obsessed with being the best". Even if it isn't that focused on. Neither of these make him look the least bit intimidating, not even in a 'false nice facade' sort of way.

Perhaps Randall and Mike were really good friends during their time at Monster University, and when Mike and Sully become friends, Mike kind-of ditches Randall for Sully and he gets jealous and always tries to be better than them?????...Yeah, I think I'm going a little too far.

Anyone besides me notice that the bus driver's VA at the beginning of the trailer is the same VA for Pearl from Spongebob?

Hello everyone! Are you thinking of applying next year to Monster's University? Are you thinking on what we can offer? Or you are just looking for more information?

Say no more! Please visit the Monster's University website @ http://monstersuniversity.com/edu/

The future is bright, with Monster's University!

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I can see what Sean was saying. I don't really like the idea of Sully being a typical Jock, even if it is a prequel.

I can see what Sean was saying. I don't really like the idea of Sully being a typical Jock, even if it is a prequel.

Original Sully is competitive, hard-working, cocky, and a bit of a schmoozer which doesn't really conflict with an immature jock-type personality. Granted, we don't see a lot of him in the trailer anyway (and it's looking like it'll be more Mike's story than Sully's), so it's difficult to tell whether they'll take this development into obnoxious territory.

And I have no idea why some of you are communicating thoughts about an official trailer in spoilers. xP

• Thumbs Up 6

What?

Anyway I kind of want to see this in theaters, but I honestly have no idea what effect this movie will have on me since I just can't get invested in stories that revolve around school life. But maybe it'll surprise me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like the character designs a lot. Mike's point little stubs instead of ears are great. Also glad to see that the animation is beautiful as ever.

Did anyone else notice that the marching song from that trailer was the same stock that was used in

the SpongeBob movie ("Now That We're Men")

ha ha ha this looks really fun, can't wait, looks really hilarious, and i love how alot of the new monster designs look very creative and interesting.

Original Sully is competitive, hard-working, cocky, and a bit of a schmoozer which doesn't really conflict with an immature jock-type personality. Granted, we don't see a lot of him in the trailer anyway (and it's looking like it'll be more Mike's story than Sully's), so it's difficult to tell whether they'll take this development into obnoxious territory.

And I have no idea why some of you are communicating thoughts about an official trailer in spoilers. xP

I dunno, I just never liked the Jock stereotype.