Awoo.

How do you go about reviewing a game?

SenEDDtor Missile

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, because the game I am considering making a video review about is a Sonic Game. But at the same time, this kind of question is fairly broad, so I am wondering whether I should put this in the Showcase, Chit Chat, or Sonic Discussion.

Anyways, the topic is how one should go about reviewing a game for a video.

1) Should you focus on trying to get enough details on the game into a review so that people will be more informed about the game, even if the review ends up being 2 - 3 videos as a result?

or

Should the review only cover enough details that people can get a general idea of what it's about, but won't get all of the information for the sake of time constraints?

2) Is it alright to ask for permission from people who have recorded footage of the game if you can borrow their footage for your review? Naturally, I have played the whole game I am reviewing, so I'm not just bullshitting stuff as I go, but I am rather lazy and don't wish to go downstairs and record footage, and I am near clueless when it comes to recording footage from a TV as opposed to a Computer. Oh, and I accidentally deleted my save files, so I would have to replay the game from the beginning to even get relevant footage.

3) Should I be talking about my own personal opinion of the game, or should I be speaking from a mostly objective point of view?

4) Should I even bother with numbers or letter grades? Because I personally don't want to because otherwise people might just end up ignoring everything I said and only look at the grade I give.

Thanks for reading this, and post your comments below. Oh and if this ends up being in the wrong thread, you can move it to whatever is appropriate.

Edited by Enigmatus

Right I'll go through each listed point:

1) Reviews should ideally be one video. This is because most people have a short attention span and will likely leave if it begins to drag. Give enough detail so people know what to expect without telling them everything. I.E if there are say 50 missions in a game just tell them that rather than explaining every single mission. short and to-the-point is what you're looking for.

2)Certainly there is nothing wrong if you ask for permission but the points you make in the review will be backed up better if you have your own footage. You will find that later own you'll need to cut the lazy habit so why not start now.

3) Give people straight up facts, if there is a problem don't under/over play it and just tell them as it is. Giving your own opinion in addition to this will make the reviews feel a bit more personal and seem like you've truly spent time with the game so try to include both.

4)It's down to personal preference but if you decide to use it then make sure your rating system is easy to understand and consistent between videos.

• Thumbs Up 3

Reviewing is actually simple.

Just be 100% honest, give your opinion, always. Why? Because nothing is good or bad on a objective level, without your opinion you're just listing a general consensus rather than reviewing something. You're not giving someone elses view of the game, only yours. If you feel controls are terrible in a game, others might, but you should still state them as terrible and explain why as that's your view on the game.

As for length and content, for a review it's important to sum up everything that seems important to affect a purchase. If you want to get into more I suggest not making a review but rather a analysis of the game as a separate project, this way you don't need to avoid spoilers either as you're going through the entire game point-by-point, be it negative or positive.

Also, since you're making a video. Mind if I ask if you have reviewed in text for before this? As someone who has done both, it's fairly simillar. Just write a review and read it as a script, if not, I'd suggest trying to write text-reviews first to get into the style of how you want to present your opinions.

Finally, and I can not state this enough, keep a broad line between comedian and reviewer. For example...

James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) is not a critic, by his own words he's a entertainer who'll exagerate and even bash games he like for the sake of comedy, that's fine because it's not a real 'review' so to say. If you're trying to do a proper review you need to be honest, give the goods and bads (assuming there's both) and while comedy and being witty can have its place in a review, it's ALWAYS secondary to being informative, because that's the reason for reviews to exist, to inform us about something.

Reviewing is actually simple.

Just be 100% honest, give your opinion, always. Why? Because nothing is good or bad on a objective level, without your opinion you're just listing a general consensus rather than reviewing something. You're not giving someone elses view of the game, only yours. If you feel controls are terrible in a game, others might, but you should still state them as terrible and explain why as that's your view on the game.

As for length and content, for a review it's important to sum up everything that seems important to affect a purchase. If you want to get into more I suggest not making a review but rather a analysis of the game as a separate project, this way you don't need to avoid spoilers either as you're going through the entire game point-by-point, be it negative or positive.

Also, since you're making a video. Mind if I ask if you have reviewed in text for before this? As someone who has done both, it's fairly simillar. Just write a review and read it as a script, if not, I'd suggest trying to write text-reviews first to get into the style of how you want to present your opinions.

Finally, and I can not state this enough, keep a broad line between comedian and reviewer. For example...

James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) is not a critic, by his own words he's a entertainer who'll exagerate and even bash games he like for the sake of comedy, that's fine because it's not a real 'review' so to say. If you're trying to do a proper review you need to be honest, give the goods and bads (assuming there's both) and while comedy and being witty can have its place in a review, it's ALWAYS secondary to being informative, because that's the reason for reviews to exist, to inform us about something.

I always thought it's best no to be too biased otherwise your review could give off the wrong impression.

That's just how I always thought when it comes to reviews.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're not biased you're not reviewing. This is a common misconception. People love to cry bias when someone dares to criticize something basically, but if it's not biased, it's just a list of a games features pretty much. Certainly there can be various levels of bias while reviewing, hence my point about ALWAYS being 100% honest.

I understand, thank you for explaining I was a little confused.

I just don't think it's right to turn people away from games that some might like. It's a silly thing to think about and I felt stupid for saying that. But that's what other reviewers are for if you think about it.

If everyone thought the same then there's not much point in reviewing.

Edited by Tobbii

Like everyone else is saying, be honest about what you think about the game.

The way I review a game is give it an opening paragraph or sentences, then go into the aspects. (I do it in this order):

Story

Gameplay

Sound

Visuals

Controls

Pros/Cons

Conclusion/Score.

Here are the steps I take in reviewing a game in a nutshell.

1. What is the company that made the game advertising? If it's not what they say it is, and if you can't do what they say you can in the game, why keep it?

2. Gameplay, clean and simple. Is it solid, and how so? If it's not solid, why?

3. A good story (and good motivation in the story) to tie everything together. I can hack and slash all day, but there has to be a reason why I'm doing it. Many companies that make games either overlook the story or don't include a good story. The developers should ask themselves the same thing I'm asking: "Do I believe in this story at all? Does it make sense? Why or why not?"

4. Am I having fun playing this game? If not, there is no sense in playing it.

5. Will I recommend this game to another person who likes the genre?

A simple, yet effective reviewing process. There's more steps that I take in the review process like graphics and sound, but these are the basics that I use to score a game.

• 4 weeks later...

GAAAH! Writing a review for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is so damn frustrating! I just cannot figure out how to get my thoughts down!

GAAAH! Writing a review for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is so damn frustrating! I just cannot figure out how to get my thoughts down!

I know how you feel, dude. I've reviewed just about every other 3D Sonic game (bar Shadow because I'm not touching that with a 50-foot pole), but I can never quite express myself properly when it comes to writing a Generations review. I've since given up. :P

You don't need to be professional, just express what you feeling. It's simple as that.

Try classifying your points like:

1). Expectations.

a). What was your feeling towards the game when you first knew it? Either from advertising or someone else's story.

b ). Is it a sequel? If so what's your point toward the original? Is it flawed that any improvement should be made in a sequel? In a nutshell how do you define a "good sequel"?

c). What's your motivation to play? What do you want from the game?

2). Experiences.

a).First impressions are important. Did the game answer to your expectations? What impresses you?

b ).Were you still impressed after some time of playing?

c).Then comes the tricky part. Why it does or doesn't impress you?

And don't get lost in those "game reviewing terms" such as graphics, mechanics, etc. You don't need them to write a proper review.

Edited by Marx rT

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I've just watched this:

And I feel confused about what he is trying to say at around 3:54 onwards.

Also, sorry for rezzing a 4 month old thread, but I didn't feel like making a new one.