Awoo.

To Be Continued? Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 3's Not Gonna Happen?

MetaShiruken

So, with Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 having no "To Be Continued" sign or cliffhanger in any way, shape, or form, I'm starting to think we might not get another Episode to the Sonic 4 Saga.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping this is the case.

Im guessing you didn't quite like the pervious Episodes?

It's time for Sega to move on with the Sonic franchise. I hope they don't do anything more with the whole Sonic 4 saga.

From what I've seen the reception was not that good on this one like it was for episode 1 which had the hype train of "ITS SONIC 4!!!!" I think it's better than E1 but not by much and that it isn't worth another episode. They ought to move on to something that has more potential or at least better direction. I'd even take Sonic Rush 3 over Episode 3, just let dimps do their thing instead of watered down versions of console games or classic games that aren't really classic at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Re: No Episode 3 - I'm fairly sure Iizuka-san had confirmed as much during the promotional run up to Episode 2s release.

Shouldn't this be in the Sonic 4 section? And honestly, I think it's best if Sega just makes something original. The sonic 4 saga isn't anything special to me anyway.

Edited by Dark Energon Johnny

Im gonna be the rebel and hope for genuine improvement come next installment (if it ever does come) instead of treating it like it's some cancerous tumor.

But that's the problem. Because Episode 3 would be part of the saga, for the sake of consistency they'd stick with some form of the existing physics, and even if they were improved, time would better spent making something that's good rather than trying to keep polishing a turd.

• Thumbs Up 5

But that's the problem. Because Episode 3 would be part of the saga, for the sake of consistency they'd stick with some form of the existing physics, and even if they were improved, time would better spent making something that's good rather than trying to keep polishing a turd.

They tampered with the physics to change it from Ep I to what we have in II so I'm sure it can be the same deal in III, and I'm sure having good level design to compliment it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Maybe I'm just not seeing what the huge deal is here.

Making episode 3 means choosing between keeping things in line with the previous two episodes and changing things to be better.

If they make a new game, they aren't at all bound by what S4 did.

Eh, I'd honestly enjoy if they made an Episode 3. I'd like a proper ending to the Sonic 4 series, showing what would happen to Little Planet and the Death Egg Mk.2 afterwards, or what happened to Sonic & Tails after using the escape pods.

So yeah, I'd like an Episode 3.

• Thumbs Up 7

Making episode 3 means choosing between keeping things in line with the previous two episodes and changing things to be better.

If they make a new game, they aren't at all bound by what S4 did.

Eh that's fair enough, I'm just saying it's a possibility that a possible E3 might be a decent and fun game.

Eh, I'd honestly enjoy if they made an Episode 3. I'd like a proper ending to the Sonic 4 series, showing what would happen to Little Planet and the Death Egg Mk.2 afterwards, or what happened to Sonic & Tails after using the escape pods.
Spoilers: Sonic and Tails fight Eggman, destroy Death Egg 2, and save Earth and the Little Planet.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoilers: Sonic and Tails fight Eggman, destroy Death Egg 2, and save Earth and the Little Planet.

IMPOSSIBLE. D:

No but really, personally I'd enjoy an Episode 3. I enjoyed both Episodes of Sonic 4, so - again, personally - I wouldn't mind to have a third episode to conclude the Sonic 4 series. I didn't really like the cliffhanger ending from Episode 2.

Im gonna be the rebel and hope for genuine improvement come next installment (if it ever does come) instead of treating it like it's some cancerous tumor.

I dunno. I already gave them a chance with Episode 1....and again with Episode 2. While Episode 1 was bad but not shit or disgusting as peeps put it, there was just something about Episode 2. Like it was the first time in years I went like "Wow, can't believe I wasted money on this." I'll go once out of the blue moon and play Co-op with friends, but when I play by myself, the game genuinely makes me angry. Like angry at how much they lied about things they "said" they would do, and upset at how mediocre and bad the game is when the developers have put out great stuff before, especially after we just got a good game in the franchise, only to go back to this...."game"

Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice shame on me

Try it and you're just making fucking idiots out of yourselves.

IMPOSSIBLE. D:

No but really, personally I'd enjoy an Episode 3. I enjoyed both Episodes of Sonic 4, so - again, personally - I wouldn't mind to have a third episode to conclude the Sonic 4 series. I didn't really like the cliffhanger ending from Episode 2.

They should make a patch that just has Death Egg blow-up and show Little Planet alright. But then again the costs would be astronomical! Millions of dollars!

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about episode 3. I didn't want it at first, then I enjoyed episode 2 and wanted it again, but now I'm not sure again because episode 2's flaws are becoming more evident with every play. I really enjoy the first 2 zones of episode 2, but Oil Desert onwards is just such a drag. I mean I don't find it as much of a waste of money as I did with the first episode and actually like it somewhat but it's just... bah. Episode 1 was offensively bad, episode 2 was more kind of bland and mediocre.

I'd rather just see new 2D games unconstrained by nostalgia and stuff. It's one of the reasons I liked Colours so much as it just came out of nowhere and did it's own thing, and imo benefitted from it.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 5

While I wouldn't be opposed to a third installment, at the same time it would be nice to see something new and unique from Sega, or even a new 2D platformer that stands on its own instead of being a callback.

What I want is for SEGA to have the courage to do a 2d Sonic game (I could careless what it's called) with a full box product budget. Unique level design and at the same incorporating multiple routes like in Generations, the hugh complexity of the S3&K levels and the gimmicky levels from Sonic CD.

2d Sonic fans have been screaming at SEGA for this for a very long time. Sonic 4 was not the answer. Would an Ep3 be nice? Sure, but what will we get, err more of the same and Knuckles. Whoopy do!!!

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Fantasy: Episode 3 will not happen, and Sonic 4: Ep 1 & 2 will take a physical form so we can murder them and piss on their corpses.

Reality: Episode 3 will most likely happen because it gets good reviews and sales for god knows what reason.

They need to just quit while they're behind. I haven't bought EITHER of the current Episodes (tried the demos though and watched Let's Plays), and I'm just not compelled to buy them. Nostalgia and Wow Factor has weared off and people are seeing this for what it really is. Really now, who has gone back to play either Episodes, yet have played the Classics in the meantime? I think Sonic 4 failed at doing what it was trying to do, and it still kind of irks me how this wasn't supposed to BE Sonic 4 from what I heard, and the name was just slapped on because they thought it would sell better. The PR if I remember correctly were straight up lying through their teeth to get sales, ugh....just let it end. It's to the point where I'm anxious to see what SONIC TEAM is working on whether 2D or 3D, because they proved with Generations that even if the physics aren't exactly like the Classics they can still make the game fun.

This isn't even a Sonic 4, I don't think we've had ONE original Zone. Every zone I believe is from a past game, wut u don't think we know the secret behing White Park, the scrapped Sonic 2 level SEGA? Hurr hurr.

If there are any positives that'll come out of Episode 3, it'll probably be that it's the last Episode, we will FINALLY see Knuckles again, and it'll at least be based off arguably the best 2D game in the series, S3andK.

What I want is for SEGA to have the courage to do a 2d Sonic game (I could careless what it's called) with a full box product budget. Unique level design and at the same incorporating multiple routes like in Generations, the hugh complexity of the S3&K levels and the gimmicky levels from Sonic CD.

2d Sonic fans have been screaming at SEGA for this for a very long time. Sonic 4 was not the answer. Would an Ep3 be nice? Sure, but what will we get, err more of the same and Knuckles. Whoopy do!!!

EXACTLY, from the beginning it started off as a downloadable side project.

Eh, I'd only like Episode III to happen for the possibility of a playable Knuckles. I'd much rather have a continuation of the Advance or Rush games though.

Eh, I'd only like Episode III to happen for the possibility of a playable Knuckles. I'd much rather have a continuation of the Advance or Rush games though.

For the love of---- YES.

Eh, the Advance games didn't end on a particularly high note either. Plus the fact that the GBA has been dead for years.

• Thumbs Up 1