Awoo.

Level cliches that Sonic Games Haven't Used Enough or Haven't used at all?

jon93

Basically what the question says. i always hear about many of you all saying that Sonic games always use the same type of level setting. But I want to ask: have there been any level settings that Sonic games haven't used yet, or have used very rarely?

• Thumbs Up 1

Food levels. Outside of Sonic Advance 2 (I think) and Sonic Colours, I don't think they've done very many of those, which is a shame. They're generally pretty insane designs, which make them some of the best looking.

I always though a cool level will be a place filled with lots of giant toys.....or a level where Sonic somehow gets shrunk down and has to travel through streets,restaurants, and stuff like that....

also some Japanese landscapes will be good...surprise they haven't done much of that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd like a level set on a big Cruiser Ship... Hmm... Maybe I should try making one in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the series necessarily needs more or less of certain cliches. No matter what trope they use, it just needs to make them interesting, try something new.

Though if we wanna discuss particular tropes we'd like to see, I wouldn't mind seeing some more ancient temples, Japanese settings, and underground areas. Red Mountain from SA1 had a cool underground lava area, and I think underground areas have potential for more settings, like an underground lake or buried city.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see more levels based on Music Plant from Advance 2, actually. And more western based levels. I think Rocky Ridge from Free Riders was the last definite example, preceded by Frontier Canyon Zone from Rivals 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the same genres appearing as long as they make em cool looking. Sunsets, rain, sunrises, fog, unusual lighting, what-have-you.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shadow the Hedgehog's Cyberspace levels could use revising and return. It would be a nice penultimate level for an Eggman base level.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'd say levels with a theme like Marble Garden Zone or levels that feature extensive rain would be nice level tropes to be used in my opinion. I'd love to see a level on the Hedgehog Engine that was raining non-stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Giant canyon levels seem to be amiss. The lack of an ice level in Generations didn't sit well with me, we've only had like 3 this whole series

• Thumbs Up 1

Levels with weather

Music levels

Night levels

Icy caves

Tundra

Toxic waste dump

Trippy/psychedelic levels

• Thumbs Up 5

Definitely going with Joshua and saying Cyberspace levels. Only levels with this trope are Digital Circuit, Mad Matrix, Techno Base, and Cyber Track. I'd really love an information super highway like level in hd or something TRON inspired.

I'd also think music themed levels like Music Plant or Stardust Speedway need more love as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Food levels. Outside of Sonic Advance 2 (I think) and Sonic Colours, I don't think they've done very many of those, which is a shame. They're generally pretty insane designs, which make them some of the best looking.

Um, there wasn't a food level in Advance 2, or any game other than Colours. And frankly, I hope it stays that way.

I'd like to see more forest stages that aren't tropical jungles. There's so many other ways to do the trope, so why do they all have to look so similar? They did Mushroom Hill back in 3K and nothing since except Frozen Forest in Free Riders. And Free Riders is lame so another take on the icy forest would be great, or haunted forest. Oooh, yes please more haunted stages.

• Thumbs Up 2

More temple levels, like Lost World. I also wanted to see something like Hang Castle again. That was awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Black Knight had that Deep Woods stage and also Shrouded Forest.

But yeah, it's Black Knight so take it for what it's worth.

I always though a cool level will be a place filled with lots of giant toys.....or a level where Sonic somehow gets shrunk down and has to travel through streets,restaurants, and stuff like that....

Toy kingdom. I liked that stage, I always played it with a Tails + Cream combo for the lolz.

We need more Music Plant/Toy Kingdom kind of stages imo.

Edited by Inferno

Gotta say, a level taking place in a forest similar to Mario Kart Wii's Maple Treeway would be fun. Golden trees and bungee nets and all that jazz.

Have areas like valley gorges been used as a trope yet? That could get some value, with lingering pits and small pathways carved into the mountainside.

Edited by Dr. Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

Um, there wasn't a food level in Advance 2, or any game other than Colours. And frankly, I hope it stays that way.

Do apologise, I was probably thinking of Music Plant. Quite why I thought that was a food level is beyond me...

Would also like to agree with Blue Wisp, but if it's going to be raining non-stop, can we have thunder and lightning as well for added atmosphere?

I really feel that they need to revisit the musical landscape from Music Plant. While it would be awesome to have it's own sweet music as well, I would love if it started off without any music and that every action you did generated some kind of instrument; allowing you to make your own track by screwing around, and have a 'secret' full track for when you play smoothly as only lasts as long as the level itself.

Would also love if they revisited the food-based environment of Sweet Planet, as long as it stays as an alien planet/is a sequel to Colours. They could really play more on how to make the food actually reflect the level design. I mean, you could mix all kinds of small parts to the level, like by having a giant straw as a waterslide that leads into a huge drink acting as an underwater section, and incorporate fire elements by having Sonic have to quickly platform across a giant cooker. It'd be so many different levels in one.

Maybe more floating palace-like levels alongside Sky Sanctuary, Sky Troops and Night Palace (does that count?) as well. I particuarly loved Sky Sanctuary in Generations, what with the fact it was so ancient yet modern at the same, especially with all those Nocturnus Tribe-like glowing designs on the floor. Really made you wonder about the history behind the area when you consider details like it belonging to a primative tribe like the Knuckles Clan.

I'd personally love to see something like a ...snowy volcano-type stage...

(do we even have something like this already?I can't recall atm)

iceland-volcano-tourism-night-flow_18089_600x450.jpg

Pretty please?

I fully endorse this idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

How about a level with multiple Seasons, similar to Click Clock Woods in Banjo Kazooie. I always thought that level was cool because something you would do in one season would affect the level in the following seasons. Perhaps they could do something similar, like have multiple acts for a level and each following act is a different season.

For example, maybe in the first Act (Fall), there could be an object (like a bolder or something) that needs to be moved/destroyed that is currently blocking a path that will appear in Act 2 (Winter), entering the path in Act 2 will feature a breakable object and breaking that object will open a new path for Act 3 (Spring) and after performing a similar event to this in Act 3, a path in Act 4 (Summer) could appear which would finally have some kind of unlockable or secret power you can obtain like from the Adventures... or this could all lead up to the Zone's boss.

Of course, this is assuming that the level and all it's acts would feature some kind of motif and repeat a certain area/section in each act to work. I think it could work, but I'd recommend making this optional (unlockables as I mentioned above), as this kind of design might intrude if made mandatory...

Not necessarily a Level Cliche I think, but it's an idea nonetheless...

• Thumbs Up 1

How about a level with multiple Seasons, similar to Click Clock Woods in Banjo Kazooie. I always thought that level was cool because something you would do in one season would affect the level in the following seasons. Perhaps they could do something similar, like have multiple acts for a level and each following act is a different season.

For example, maybe in the first Act (Fall), there could be an object (like a bolder or something) that needs to be moved/destroyed that is currently blocking a path that will appear in Act 2 (Winter), entering the path in Act 2 will feature a breakable object and breaking that object will open a new path for Act 3 (Spring) and after performing a similar event to this in Act 3, a path in Act 4 (Summer) could appear which would finally have some kind of unlockable or secret power you can obtain like from the Adventures... or this could all lead up to the Zone's boss.

Of course, this is assuming that the level and all it's acts would feature some kind of motif and repeat a certain area/section in each act to work. I think it could work, but I'd recommend making this optional (unlockables as I mentioned above), as this kind of design might intrude if made mandatory...

Not necessarily a Level Cliche I think, but it's an idea nonetheless...

They sorta did the season thing with Mushroom Hill, but only graphically. A solid idea.