Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

It's having to backtrack and find a ridiculous amount of medals to even enter Jungle Joyride in the first place that had most of us hot under the collar playing Unleashed our first time. True, if you plant your butt in a locale and take your time doing missions, buying things for Professor Pickle, and surveying the landscape for the obvious ones, you'll more than clear the requirements by the time you get there, but no one's going to do that their first time through. Basically, it's there to force you to partake in a little of the secondary content, and you know how the fan base feels about "forcing."

• Thumbs Up 8

It's having to backtrack and find a ridiculous amount of medals to even enter Jungle Joyride in the first place that had most of us hot under the collar playing Unleashed our first time. True, if you plant your butt in a locale and take your time doing missions, buying things for Professor Pickle, and surveying the landscape for the obvious ones, you'll more than clear the requirements by the time you get there, but no one's going to do that their first time through. Basically, it's there to force you to partake in a little of the secondary content, and you know how the fan base feels about "forcing."

Coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed Medal hunting I have to agree. Not to mention the system was really confusing. I didn't have a clue how the Medals worked for a fair while.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with medal collecting is how it breaks a flow. The game tries to be story-heavy, like previous Sonic games, but this is the first time a game has stopped in the middle of the story and said "Stop! You need to collect random coins in previous stages to continue."

Let's apply that logic to previous games for example, people would hate it if Sonic Adventure all of a sudden said, right before Final Egg as Sonic that "You need to collect 55 Emblems to continue" or something.

The collecting coins should have been left for unlocking the extra stages, I'm fine with that, but even as someone who loves Unleashed enough to put it in his Top 5 Sonic games, I found the forced medal collecting stupid... ...I also found the keys in Generations stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

True, if you plant your butt in a locale and take your time doing missions, buying things for Professor Pickle, and surveying the landscape for the obvious ones, you'll more than clear the requirements by the time you get there, but no one's going to do that their first time through.

I did that! :/

But I did that on my first playtrough. ._.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed Medal hunting I have to agree. Not to mention the system was really confusing. I didn't have a clue how the Medals worked for a fair while.

I think the only thing confusing about the medal system was how the stage entrances showed to what extent your day or night collection had to be leveled up in order to enter. There'd be a number of suns or moons hovering in the entrances, and I never connected that to the little indication on screen telling you what level you were currently at with a specific set of medals. It made remembering the number of medals I had to dig up for Dragon Road or Arid Sands quite futile, nor was I able to see I was coming up shorter and shorter for the requirements as I continued on through the game. It's only on my third play through that I finally understood it and was able to save myself a headache.

I did that! :/

But I did that on my first playtrough. ._.

You guys are mondo-exceptions. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone notice anything wrong with Knuckles' original sprite?

12342.png

His marking is flesh-coloured like his muzzle?

It's annoyed me ever since I first played the game when I was little.

12342.png

It looks like a subpar render of Knuckles jawdropping at something he's seeing off in to the distance?

Just spent two seconds in Paint adjusting it to what it'd be if the flesh was recoloured to the off-white shade that Knuckles has for gloves and eyes.

b8VHK.jpg

...Eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Knuckles' sprites, Knuckles' visible fangs when transforming into Super/Hyper form always looked pretty odd to me;

2ztg1om.png

Yeah, I know Knux has visibly sharp teeth but that he just looks like a Vampire here.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 2

Because people are...I dunno...afraid of actually investing any real effort and/or time into the game? I agree that the 120 sun medal requirement for Adabat Day Act 1 may be a little unreasonable but the rest of the acts medal requirements aren't even steep whatsoever and aren't a challenge to fulfill if you've been picking up medals, most of which are perfectly easy to obtain.

The problem is, people focus too much on speed and the straight objective rather than loosening up a little and making the effort to explore a little off the narrow path to grab medals.

WELL, to be fair (and this is coming from someone who is a massive kleptomaniac at times and loves Sonic Unleashed for all of its flaws), the level design of Sonic Unleashed does seem to be designed to encourage you to focus on getting to the end as quickly as possible, so maybe people couldn't drop this mentality and thus become annoyed when they have to backtrack.

It isn't as big of an issue in the Nighttime stages or the hubs because both are intentionally slower paced, thus allowing for time to check off the beaten path. Plus you gotta take into consideration that A LOT of the medals in the daytime stages are in weirdass locations that people wouldn't exactly notice on the first run (I know I didn't see the medal inside that little corner on the rail grinding section in Dragon Road the first time around).

Edited by Enigmatus

Regarding Knuckles' sprites, Knuckles' visible fangs when transforming into Super/Hyper form always looked pretty odd to me;

2ztg1om.png

Yeah, I know Knux has visibly sharp teeth but that he just looks like a Vampire here.

I take your temporary vampire and raise you a permanent vampire (in his classic look);

LUhsr.png

Sure it'd be natural for him to have teeth, but those are almost comically big.

Edited by VEDJ-F

2ztg1om.png

Frankly, I'm more baffled by how he even has teeth to begin with.

2ztg1om.png

No problem with the teeth, but I'd like him to have eyes at least.

Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed get DLC. Yet Sonic Generations, which needs the DLC most of all, hasn't even got anything and probably never will. How unfair is that? D:<

This times infinite!!!

If they don't announced DLC for Generations during Sonic Boom, I recommend those who are going to evacuate the premises since I will turn Super Saiyan and go on a rampage. angry.png

12342.png

Aw man, i never noticed that before but now im never going to be able to unsee it. Thanks a lot buddy! angry.png

On a completely different note, two of my pet-peeves both have to do with Sega either dropping or downplaying certain classic, iconic elements to certain characters for no reason at all. Namely:

1 Sonic's rolling. Why can't they at least change Sonic's animation while boosting in modern games to make him curl into his trademark ball-mode? Yes, i know it would be a purely cosmetic change but even so.

2 Eggman trapping animals in robots. That was practcially Eggman's whole plan in the original Sonic game, and it remained his most identifiable villain-gimmick for years but then they just dropped it all of a sudden (only making the very occasional reappearance in heavily nostalgic contexts like Sonic 4). Without that gimmick, Eggman is pretty much only a mustache and a round stomach away from being a completely bland example of the "comedic evil scientist"-type character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another pet peeve of mine is when people treat Sonic's Classic & Modern incarnations as two separate characters. Same goes with Sonic & his Werehog form.

• Thumbs Up 2

i wouldn't say this was a pet peeve but... Why does Sonic instantly get his gloves back after transforming back from the Werehog? and why does his shoe appearance change without changing his shoes?

also why does the Xbox 360 loading screen have a great animated Sonic turning from Sonic to Werehog/Vice Versa, but the PS3 loading screen just has a spinning sun medal that turns to a night time medal and vice versa? they're the same game they shouldn't really have cut corners at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say, with regards to medal hunting in Unleashed, what annoyed me is that there's only one way to get medals. Slow down and explore.

That isn't right. I'm fine with making us get medals to advance, but they should have been rewards for EVERYTHING.

Can't get into Jungle Joyride Day? You must go and scour the previous levels for medals. To add insult to injury, most sun medals are found at night.

When instead they could have made it so Hot Dog Missions give medals. S ranks give medals. Town missions give medals. Feeding Chip gives medals. Hide a LOT more medals in the extra acts, and put plenty on the straight path through too so there's purpose to playing them. There's so much extra fun stuff to do in Unleashed, and all of it could have mattered to the story just by giving medals out for everything instead of JUST hiding them on the stages.

That way you could CHOOSE what you wanted to do to progress forward through the story.

I also really hate that Adabat Day 1 needs the most medals. It would have felt a lot more rewarding if by the time you completed the game, all the extra acts weren't already open and there to just play all in one go. For example, Rooftop Run Day Act 2 is a real corker. That thing shoulda been hidden behind 150 medals or something (or alternatively, been avaliable sooner but offer lots of medals as a reward for finishing it).

Another good thing could have been, after finishing the game, you can trade the extra medals you find to level up faster (this could be avaliable during the story too, but with capped usage to prevent you from spending more medals than it's possible to advance with - so like for Adabat's 120, if you reached the point where there were only say, 140 medals possible to collect in the game, it won't let you spend anymore).

Oh, finally I wish the extra acts were hidden better. There are so many secret areas in the entrance stages, and most just have lives or something else pointless, while meanwhile the best rewards of all - extra gameplay, are sitting in pretty ridiculously easy to find places. (Spagonia is the only exception here).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the Tornado, It'd be a stretch calling these peeves, more like nitpicks but...

- The first Tornado does not belong to and was not created by Tails. It belongs to Sonic and it's origins are unknown.

- It's a little silly how they flipped the Tornado's sprite in Sonic 3/Knuckles yet didn't flip the wording "SONIC" on it as well.

And I've said this a few times before but what peeves me about Classic Sonic in Generations is that his muteness was nothing more than pandering to the fanbase, those who hold warped interpretations and consider Classic's muteness to have always been an innate character trait rather than a result of technological limitations regarding cartridge memory.

Also on this tangent, it really annoys me when people say that Sonic worsened when he got a voice and could "suddenly" talk. Newsflash; He spoke in the classic era and speech has sensically always been something Sonic has had.

Also, I really, really despise 95% of Sonadow art/fics out there because so many of them portray Sonic as an uke and betray so many of his character traits as a headstrong and robust person. I also hate how these art and fics portray Shadow as some kind of sensual and dominant lover. Frankly, these two guys are more likely to make war instead of love.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sensual and dominant lover? I don't think Shadow's sensual functions even exist he has such emotional apathy towards anyone not in his 'family'.