Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Sensual and dominant lover? I don't think Shadow's sensual functions even exist he has such emotional apathy towards anyone not in his 'family'.

And I've said this a few times before but what peeves me about Classic Sonic in Generations is that his muteness was nothing more than pandering to the fanbase, those who hold warped interpretations and consider Classic's muteness to have always been an innate character trait rather than a result of technological limitations regarding cartridge memory.
  • Thumbs Up 9

Probably lack of Classic Sonic in Episode 2. I had hoped a retcon would be done to bring him back, even if as a spinoff character. He's just so freaking adorable!

Hmm. Sonic has the random battlecry "Teriaaaa!" and then it is never heard of again in SA2. I always found it kind of strange.

Of course, Jaleel While Sonic's Juice and Jam time or the variants. You said that ten times this episode already give it a rest!

That's what annoys me about Generations too! Classic Sonic doesn't speak, which I can understand because he didn't really speak in the games (except Sonic CD and few others), but why make Classic Tails and Eggman speak anyway? It doesn't make any sense.

And to this day I'm still very annoyed that Classic Knuckles and Classic Amy never made an appearance. That could have been so cool, but no. They still get shoved away in favour of the original trio. B/

And that is the wasted potential of Generations for you.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember when everyone thought classic Knux and Amy were shoo-ins, and people who raised the point that they might not be in had their words shot to the ground. :P

I guess it would count as a pet peeve that there was so little meat to Generations' story. Virtually zero interaction with characters; I found it hilarious Silver and Shadow suddenly were living come the end cutscene. When they didn't even have some sort of introduction/conclusion dialogue with Sonic.

I was also saddened Classic Sonic didn't get to meet either of those two; so much humor could have been had. On a last note for Generations - I think if Classic Amy and Classic Knuckles were included what little screen time there was for each character would have gotten stretched even further.

I suppose that leads me to my next pet peeve - that all the new games seem to be is Sonic and Tails beating up Eggman, with other guys sometimes making an appearance. It may be the classic formula or whatever, but what's the point of such an expanded cast if they're only basically cameos?

This probably isn't a pet peeve entirely, but I'm naturally annoyed Sega chose hedgehog over Mink for Silver. And chose Silver instead of Venice. "Venice the Mink" is 100x more awesome a name and concept in my opinion.

Yeah, I was personally disappointed that Classic Sonic was mute, but C. Tails and Eggman spoke and C. Knuckles and Amy weren't included in Generations. Also, I'm a bit peeved at the imbalance between Classic and Modern Sonic in terms of Boss and Rival fights: Classic gets 1 Rival battle and 1 Boss and Modern gets 2 Rivals and 2 Bosses. Personally, I think it would've been better if they made it possible to play through the whole game as 1 Sonic without touching the other; it would've at least given the game more replay value.

I'm also peeved at how bare bones Generations' story is, because It seriously lacks a middle and character interaction, which makes the story's pacing feel incredibly awkward (like C. Tails randomly appearing in White Space after restoring Green Hill without any explanation, and the Rivals and Bosses appearing in the White Space without explanation. Not to mention Shadow and Silver's reasoning for fighting Sonic is painfully half-assed and stupid, imo.)

I hate how the game takes away control of Sonic's movement from side to side in 3D portions of the Egg Dragoon Boss Fight in SG. It sucks that you're forced to use Quick Step in order to move side to side and feels painfully awkward, making the fight difficult for the wrong reasons.

Oh and the Time Eater Battle sucks. When I first fought the damn thing I had no idea what the hell I supposed to do when I was fighting it and had to look up a YouTube video to figure out how to hit it. It doesn't help the Sonic's friends were incredibly useless with advice during the battle. "IT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT!" "SWITCH AND GO AFTER IT!" How about giving me- oh, I don't know- actual hints on how to actually defeat the damn thing?!

Edited by Spider-Man Noir
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm also peeved at how bare bones Generations' story is, because It seriously lacks a middle and character interaction, which makes the story's pacing feel incredibly awkward (like C. Tails randomly appearing in White Space after restoring Green Hill without any explanation, and the Rivals and Bosses appearing in the White Space without explanation. Not to mention Shadow and Silver's reasoning for fighting Sonic is painfully half-assed and stupid, imo.)

That's what I somewhat said in another topic:

Colors and Generations share a few things: lost potential and a feeling that something was cut out for the sake of appearing "SIMPLE AND LIGHTHEARTED".

In Colors' case, it was that I couldn't give a crap about Yacker or the Wisps. In Unleashed (fan of it, and it is a good example IMO, don't judge me), Chip established himself to me as a lovable, very hungry, and cowardly character who eventually took responsibility of his duties with the full knowledge that he might not be able to meet Sonic again.

Yacker? he speaks with body language, he's playful... that's it. The fact that we don't even see cutscenes that make us feel sorry for his predicament and even go so far as to not show where the hell he went near the end of the game doesn't help matters.

Generations was hacked into two parts; THERE IS NO MIDDLE. Granted, you could argue that the middle of Unleashed was kinda weak, since it was mostly cutscenes of Sonic and Chip restoring the temples and nothing of interest occurred until Adabat, but at least it HAD A MIDDLE.

Generations had a beginning, and a pretty decent one at that, but then...nothing until the end. There is this giant gulf in between the Death Egg Robot and Planet Wisp. The Rival battles, while enjoyable, tended to not make sense because there was no explanation as to whether you were fighting the past versions of Shadow or Silver or the modern ones. The fact that you TALK to the rivals before you battle suggests that you are fighting the present ones, but the battles don't make sense because why would you be wasting your time battling each other when you could clearly be HELPING each other find a way out of the White Space?

I would have even settled for a simple "You fight the rivals because they are brainwashed and need to be released by your speediness which somehow undoes brainwashing" or "You fight them because the rivals want to test to see if you are ready to delve deeper into the White Space, with the exception of Metal Sonic, who just wants to kill you." SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

I CAN ONLY SAY THIS: CUTTING OUT STUFF THAT MIGHT BE RELEVANT TO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT (YACKER) OR FOR THE SAKE OF BEING "SIMPLE" (GENERATIONS' PLOT) DOES NOT ENDEAR TO ME IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM!

I'm biased because after Unleashed, this stuff feels diluted.

P.S. This isn't a rant against the games themselves. I never played Colors, so I can't judge it's gameplay, and I regularly replay Generations because it's fun, but this "STORY MUST BE HACKED APART OR NOT EXPLAINED BECAUSE IT MIGHT SEEM TOO COMPLEX" thing drives me up the wall.

• Thumbs Up 9

Oh yeah, regarding the lack of story and potential in Generations, it annoys me when people who is against stories in Sonic games of any kind say something like "If you want stories in your games then go read a book" and "Stories and personality in Sonic games is what got us Sonic 06". I've seriously read comments like that on one of the Generations videos on youtube.

• Thumbs Up 7

Another thing is when people call basically EVERY Sonic fan out there a "Sonic fantard" or "Sonic fanfag".

i.e. AntiSonicEnterprises.

Why is it that almost every new special stage is either modeled after Heroes or Sonic 2? How about basing the design off of Blue Spheres a special stage that doesn't suck ass? Or make a new one entirely?

Fuck.

• Thumbs Up 6

Another thing is when people call basically EVERY Sonic fan out there a "Sonic fantard" or "Sonic fanfag".

i.e. AntiSonicEnterprises.

Sonic 2's special stages are basically the coolest of the Genesis era special stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Special Stages, Generations had a missed opportunity to feature several different special stages for emeralds. We could have had the 1, 2, CD, 3&K, Heroes, and maybe even a Game Land level, and something else to fit the seventh from another main game or something, perhaps as part of the plot like in Generations itself but more as a homage to the 3D games without them?

Also what is said below about it always being Heroes to get representation. I suppose like Crisis City wouldn't really work in Mario and Sonic spinoffs, as hilarious as that would be :P

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

Why is it that almost every new special stage is either modeled after Heroes or Sonic 2? How about basing the design off of Blue Spheres a special stage that doesn't suck ass? Or make a new one entirely?

Fuck.

Edited by The Noodle
  • Thumbs Up 8

Oh and posting again because I'm a posting whore but in Generations Planet Wisp where was my GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! announcer for the ramps? He returned for the wisps. I guess the trick system doesn't work in the same way, but they could have modified for this one level.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Having to use White wisps to get boost in Colors.

I haven't even played the game yet, and that shit annoys me.

Having to use White wisps to get boost in Colors.

I haven't even played the game yet, and that shit annoys me.

Um... why? They're in boxes you just run into, and most enemies. For the most part in fact there's no reason to go about boosting.

Exactly, I love boosting for no reason :'<

Then that should be an issue with the level design, not the Wisps.

When Sonic has his bag on the seat next to him on the train, and he won't move it when I want a seat.

Oh, sorry...

I guess snark from the general gaming public, as mentioned. Also, another pet peeve is when newer fans think they can be groundbreaking and declare that (insert great classic game here) isn't all that great and older fans are idiots.

Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed get DLC. Yet Sonic Generations, which needs the DLC most of all, hasn't even got anything and probably never will. How unfair is that? D:<

After the treatment they've got from their fans after Unleashed, I wouldn't be suprised they don't want to put effort into anything anymore. But that's just me.

Edited by LoiLoi17
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh and posting again because I'm a posting whore but in Generations Planet Wisp where was my GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! announcer for the ramps? He returned for the wisps. I guess the trick system doesn't work in the same way, but they could have modified for this one level.

A pet peeve on a related note - it drives me crazy that it's impossible to reach "AMAZING!" on the first ramp in the game. This is the only ramp that does this.

• Thumbs Up 3

A pet peeve on a related note - it drives me crazy that it's impossible to reach "AMAZING!" on the first ramp in the game. This is the only ramp that does this.

Yeah, totally arbitrary as to why it's the only one.

Also on Colours related arbitrary things, there's no pattern to whether a level ends in a goal ring or a wisp capsule. I'd say it's wisp capsules only in 3D levels, but some of the 3D-ending acts (such as Aquarium Park Act 3 and Starlight Carnival Act 1) have goal rings anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1