Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I noticed something in Sonic 4 Episode 2 a few days ago, where you're upside down and standing still. Normally, the down button is still the button you press to crouch for the spin dash like in S3&K and the Advance games and probably Rush. But not here. You have to press up to crouch. The fact it's different after all these years really threw me off.

I noticed something in Sonic 4 Episode 2 a few days ago, where you're upside dowhile wn and standing still. Normally, the down button is still the button you press to crouch for the spin dash like in S3&K and the Advance games and probably Rush. But not here. You have to press up to crouch. The fact it's different after all these years really threw me off.

While Sonic 3 was under development they found that keeping crouch on the down button was more natural for most players. It makes sense, if you're on the ceiling in spite of gravity rather than because of it, down makes you roll.

• Thumbs Up 1

While Sonic 3 was under development they found that keeping crouch on the down button was more natural for most players. It makes sense, if you're on the ceiling in spite of gravity rather than because of it, down makes you roll.

Yeah I remember reading about that somewhere actually, I was gonna bring that up, but then didn't for some reason.

I always figured they existed because manoeuvring onto the button of a capsule was kinda iffy within a 3D space. It takes less finesse to simply touch a big floating ring. I think that same concept applies to the double horizontal checkpoint posts in 3D vs. the single, vertical posts in 2D.

Signposts are still more satisfying I think (as proven with Black Knight).

What annoys me about goal rings is that they have no mass to them and yet instantly slow Sonic down to a stop. It's really unsatisfying. Just... you are now at the end.

It's not so bad on levels where you "land" on them like Metal Harbour or Rooftop Run, after a big cool cinematic bit, but yeah, generally speaking.

Besides, capsules can easily just be homing attackable, or even better make them just explode on contact with Sonic, badass style. He just runs straight through em, and maybe they do the whole animu capsule-fizzles-for-a-second-then-proper-explodes thing.

Leaving a smear of bloodied flickies across the path Sonic took through the device.

• Thumbs Up 7

Weren't the capsules in Sonic Colours homing attack-able (is that even a word XD)? That worked well, so I'm sure it would be fine to use them in future Sonic ga-oh wait Eggman stopped putting animals into his robots. Nevermind. -__-

The squid in sonic 2 for the game gear. How the hell do you make the first boss the hardest one?!

The one thing I really don't like about the Sonic franchise would be the inability to keep the same voice actors for any length of time. Like really? Is it just that hard to keep the voice actors around?

Tis my first post btw!

• Thumbs Up 2

On the same tangent as my post concerning why the hell Unwiished got much higher scores than the superior-in-every-way HD unleashed, it truly boggles me as to why Chronicles was as critically acclaimed as it was.

I've heard funny rumours about EA/Bioware having bribed the media to give the game a positive reception but just how much credence is there to these claims? I'm inclined to believe them considering how truly craptacular the game is and how crude the gameplay and presentation was. If the bribing rumours aren't true then i'm even inclined to believe that Chronicles got insanely good critical reception considering what it is in some vain attempt to upstage Sonic Team's efforts considering it was a Bioware effort. And we all know people's attitudes before Chronicles' release don't we? When people were actually completely serious about their assumption that this game would undeniably pwn any of Sonic Team's past output.

Oh how those people got shown up :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

it truly boggles me as to why Chronicles was as critically acclaimed as it was.

Wait, that game actually got positive reception?

What..I...if bribery isn't true I don't know what is.

- Chao being too busy looking up at you instead of eating it's damn food when you give it some.

This actually reminds me of the one advantage Sonic Adventure DC will always have to it's ports/sequels: once you give Chao food, it will automatically dive into it, and then finish it. They don't just throw it away if they're full (though I understand the logistics of a virtual life simulator comprehending "hunger), they don't enjoy the scenery; they just chow down and what's done is done. You can give them as much as you want, each one right after the other.

The one thing that was lost with more complex AI, sadly.

Also, what Steve brought up earlier is golden. I'm not claiming to be good at voice-over myself (I've never had any sort of training :v ), but you don't just...spout off into a mic, upload that to YouTube, and become able to call yourself that.

Edited by Mykonos

It was one of EGM's last game of the months before they folded for a while.

Yeah, Game Informer of all people praised it like it's the best Sonic game they have played in years.

Oh yes. ONM gave it 93% believe it or not. 1Up gave it an A and Game Informer gave it an 8 out of 10.

Perhaps equally hilarious is Game Informer claiming that the characters were "well written". You know, possibly the number one perpertrator of screaming "Sonic's shitty friends". These people clearly don't know what good writing of Sonic characters amounts to if they exalt Chronicles portrayal of them, so their credibility plunged even further in regards to that.

Edited by Verte

Looking at the Metacritic page, it's absolutely ridiculous. While it might just be because Metacritic is odd sometimes when converting scores too its 100 point scale, 1up is listed giving it a perfect score , and some of the quotes are some of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I find these more insulting to the DS than anything, since it has so many good RPGs there is no reason to play Sonic Chronicles.

Gameplayer

If you like either Sonic, or RPGs, you have to buy The Dark Brotherhood. It's as perfect a handheld RPG as we've ever played.

Game Informer

Sonic Chronicles is good for dedicated (and lapsed) fans, the BioWare faithful, and anyone just looking for a decent RPG on DS.

Edited by Ekaje

From what I have heard, Bioware has a reputation for being somewhat...aggressive towards criticism. I even heard they had people pose as fans to bolster up their own game scores...or something along that line.

True or False?

ONM also gave it 93%. Just throwing that out there too.

EDIT: Oops, Verte already said that. Need to learn how to read :V

Though still, I find it funny how they claimed it to be one of the best RPGs on the DS.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n

Don't know about you guys, but I kind of liked Sonic Chronicles. At least you can choose Sonic's response so he won't be so snarky. :L

And a few music tracks were pretty decent, IMO.

Don't know about you guys, but I kind of liked Sonic Chronicles. At least you can choose Sonic's response so he won't be so snarky. :L

And a few music tracks were pretty decent, IMO.

I freaking loved Chronicles. Of all the spin-off games with a main gameplay style that was NOT 'run really fast to the end of the stage', it is most definitely my favorite. It has it's flaws, yes, but they barely detracted from my enjoyment of it.

Unlike, say, Labyrinth. >_>

Speaking of which, I find it very annoying how easy it is to overshoot the Spin Dash in that game. I've missed the keys many times that way, eventually leading into me running out of time. Coupled with pretty much the blandest stages I've ever seen in a Sonic game, Sonic feeling like he's trying to run through molasses, extremely forgettable music, and you've got the recipe for the worst Sonic game of all time.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

A peeve of mine is that Cream or Tails didn't have any actual attacks in Chronicles.

Cream could've done some sort of attack with Cheese and Tails could've done like a Tailswipe or something.

If there will ever be a sequel, lets just hope there are attacks for some of these guys(not counting combo attacks).

I honestly liked Chronicles. A lot of flaws were due to the hardware, plus the script was

-dareisayit- decent. Shadow wasn't emo, just a bit moody ('We're just wasting time here')

And Sonic was genuinely cool. The combat was fun though the last boss was disappointingly pathetic, and the battle music was great. The other music, not so much...

So yeah, it annoys me when people jump on the bandwagon of hate for a game they haven't played. I'm not accusing you lot of that, mind.

While Chronicles is nowhere near my favorite Sonic game, I still liked it for what it was trying to be. It was not perfect by any stretch of the word, but I think that it deserves at least one play through by Sonic fans.

I honestly liked Chronicles. A lot of flaws were due to the hardware,

No they weren't.

What was wrong with Chronicles cannot be chalked up to Bioware not being used to developing a game on a handheld console or the DS itself because ear rape music, terrible visuals, amateruish "cutscenes", batshit insane characterization, continuity snarls and "did not do the research", broken battle system with out-of-whack status effect and damage programming and boring and automated gameplay regarding character skills to bypass obstacles has nothing to do with the DS itself, It has everything to do with laziness, awful game design and simply not caring.

Anyway, two of my peeves are regarding Sonic's speed. No, it doesn't come from his shoes. It's clearly all innate. And it's ridiculous how Shadow could outrun him in Battle when you take into consideration that Sonic's title is "The world's fastest Hedgehog".

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 2

I liked chronicles, but it was clearly held back by Bioware's lack of experience with the DS platform. It was clearly a "first effort" and the shortcomings were incredibly glaring. I'm not saying that there is no fun to be had (quite the opposite actually) but Chronicles should not be mistaken as a AAA effort.

Speaking of chronicles, I just thought up another pet peeve. I was at GameStop yesterday and a little kid (couldn't have been older that 6 or 7) went on and on about how he wanted to pick up a copy of sonic generations so he could stomp some swat-bots. It was adorable, but when I tried to correct his terminology (badnik vs swat-bot) he didn't seem to understand the difference.

Not exactly a peeve, but I don't want to live in a world where the youngin's mistake badniks for swatbots. tongue.png