Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Pet peeves of mine? Um, not much, as I'm pretty lax about most things with the Sonic fandom.

I guess if I were to pick one, it would be Sonic fans who treat Unleashed as the holy grail of 3-D Sonic gaming. I'll grant that the Day stages were a nice change of pace (no pun intended) and it's got some nice world-building. At the same time, though, you can't expect a given player to just up and ignore the lengthy Night stages, Chip, medal hunting, Saturday-morning cartoon tone, and Chip and not have them ask themselves if it's truly worth it. Sure, there are a lot of thick-headed people out there who just go "lol werehog iz suxxorz," but that doesn't mean it's not a legitimate complaint. When you have to ignore or slough through a large portion of the game just to have fun, can I say that it's worthy of such high praise? This was a huge make-or-break point back when the Adventure games did it, and the same is true of Unleashed. It says something that Sonic Colors got such critical praise when most of all it did was just trim the fat from Unleashed's model (and the world-buliding, sadly).

• Thumbs Up 4

sonic-generations-xbox360-boxart.jpg

Best defense for that quote ever

Honestly the only Sonic fans who didn't enjoy this game are the kind of fans who throw a shit-fit because Sonic isn't the right shade of blue. (Or have real reasons of course =P)

• Thumbs Up 2

-The bosses were lame

-Got boring very quickly

-about an hour long

-Time Eater was the worst final boss ever

-dialogue was so bland that it didn't even need to be there.

The game is entirely forgettable. Give me one reason other than nostalgia and alternate pathways as to why I should say otherwise.

That, and Sonic Adventure 2 was the 10th anniversary game, which a lot of people consider to be terrible.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 4

The game is entirely forgettable. Give me one reason other than nostalgia and alternate pathways as to why I should say otherwise.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Reading ShadAmy Fanfics where sonic is depicted as a jealous bloodthirsty stalker towards Amy. I really feel like breaking something when I see stuff like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well that's a nice way to treat Sonic's 20 year anniversary

Edited by Blue!

I'm going to quote Soniman here (his quote wasn't directed at you, 1991boy, but I think it's relevant here)...

^^Pretty much this. Doesn't matter if it's Sonic's 20th Anniversary. If someone doesn't like it, they don't like it.

When people in fanfics characterize Sonic as shy...

it just... kills me inside...

Sonic is cocky, arrogant, sometimes even an asshole, but SHY???

SHY?!?!?!

Why the world is so cruel?

I hate how the homing attack disables all momentum in the recent games. I don't just don't like it. I HATE it. It's been the main cause of my deaths in Generations because I think in order to make a jump, I need a boost but not GOTTA GO FAST tier boost that has its own button, as that would have me overshoot it. It's annoying how using a homing attack one of the quickest ways to slow Sonic down, next to stomping and slamming into a wall. It should not be.

Shippers aren't all bad. Although it's not my taste, there's the small crowd of people that know when and where their stuff is accepted, but then there's the people whom I've made a term for: Battleshippers. As in, the ones that always ship a certain pairing, in every story they do, and would fire every single fanon cannon on board at the sight of an enemy ship or a disagreeing view. The ones that go out of their way to plaster their preferences on everybody else. Pride is a deadly sin, people, and this is coming from the guy named "Mr. Awesomest".

• Thumbs Up 3

• People who hate on all modern games, or all classic games just because they are modern or classic.

• Fans who hate whole games simply because Sonic's eyes went from black/gray to green.

• Ship wars(like Sonamy vs. Sonally, despite both being from different continuities.)

• Sonic's inability to go underwater in more new games. In Sonic 1, 2, and 3 he could go underwater like in the labyrinth and aquatic ruins zones. Sure, he can't swim very well, but at least in those games you could be underwater as long as you collected air bubbles.

Edited by colorfulzones104

The automatic labelling of people who like or happen to prefer the Japanese voice option in the games, the Japanese designs of the classic characters and/or the Japanese storylines prior to Sonic Adventure as being weeaboo's.

This would only be so if those people's preferences for these things are solely because it's Japanese/of Japanese origin. Having an appreciation for excellent and emotive voice acting isn't being a weeaboo. Neither is having a preference for and/or liking the character designs and storylines in those old manuals.

This is no exaggeration, every single instance I've read of those pulling-up/criticising people who happen to like aspects of JP Sonic over the Western designs, stories and English VA'ing has culminated in the word "weeaboo" being thrown around without rhyme or reason, showing how much this word is misunderstood.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll consider this another pet peeve of mine. This common sentiment of "Well, the Day Stages are awesome, but everything else is inexcusably terrible and you Unleashed fans can't ignore that!!!" drives me up the wall. It's like no one considers it a valid possibility that someone could actually like this game in its entirety. I like the Werehog and playing the Night stages. I find Chip enjoyable. I like the humorous tone of the game. The medal collecting is flawed, but I have found an easy and enjoyable workaround by not blazing mindlessly through the worlds, nabbing them as an indirect consequence of taking my time. I like the hub worlds, the inhabitants, and their missions. I like the art and the music. I pretty much like the whole game. I, and I would like to assume most true-blue Unleashed fans, don't ignore anything. We just happen to differ in opinion to others, and we understand why others don't like the game. But this snide implication that we're being willfully ignorant to the flaws is bullshit.

Let me put it this way: How would Colors fans like it if I assumed that they were just "ignoring" the dropped character and plot tangents, the unfitting climax, the overall shitty narrative, the slew of terrible jokes, the uninspired, blocky platforming, the context-sensitive Wisps that require no forethought or skill to use, the difficulty threshold that would allow a lobotmized dog to beat the game, and other things I personally considered flaws in justifying their like for it? I'd personally consider myself an asshole for even levelling such an assumption at them. Instead, I take it upon myself to believe that Colors fans either don't consider these things as flaws, or that other parts of the game make up for any flaws they see in the game, which is fine. I'd just love it dearly if Unleashed fans were afforded the same credibility.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let me put it this way: How would Colors fans like it if I assumed that they were just "ignoring" the dropped character and plot tangents, the unfitting climax, the overall shitty narrative, the slew of terrible jokes, the uninspired, blocky platforming, the context-sensitive Wisps that require no forethought or skill to use, the difficulty threshold that would allow a lobotmized dog to beat the game, and other things I personally considered flaws in justifying their like for it? I'd personally consider myself an asshole for even levelling such an assumption at them. Instead, I take it upon myself to believe that Colors fans either don't consider these things as flaws, or that other parts of the game make up for any flaws they see in the game, which is fine. I'd just love it dearly if Unleashed fans were afforded the same credibility.

This is fair, because as a Colors fan id assume that a lot of those things we "ignore" are either nonexistent (id say the narrative is formulaic, if anything) or I don't have much of a problem with them (the jokes) or not problem at all (wisps, level design, I guess everything else),

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, I think not only the fanbase, but the gaming community as a whole has basically tainted the franchise. Every game is met with an overwhelming amount of cynicism from both parties and it pisses me off. Yes, I get the games haven't been spectacular, but everyone talks as if Sonic has never had a good game in the 3D era at all, and he never will. It's just the amount of jaded people that's real turn off for me, and it slightly kills my excitement for any new game because the obligatory "Well this game is obviously another failure from Sonic Team" I mean god people.

This

I hate when people say "lol SEGA FAILED AGAIN THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT". It's sad that Sonic's once loyal fans want him to die now.

• Thumbs Up 1