Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

And there you have yet another one from oneself - the fact that reviewers seem to be literally incapable of writing/saying anything about Sonic without starting off with "Sonic hasn't had bright days lately..." and all it's other miserable equivalents. Yes, we get it. There's been rough times. Stop rubbing it in our faces every chance you get.

I also hate that a lot of critics always compare Sonic to Mario.

For fuck's sake judge the game for what it is, not for your own fanboyism!

Wasn't Sonic supposed to be like Mario, but more EXTRRREEEEEEEME?

BUT HOW WILL WE BE HIP AND COOL WITH OUR VIEWERS IF WE DON'T BASH SONIC THE SHITHOG!? - 99.99999999999% of ranty critics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Mario, I have a pet peeve about this forum (and Sonic forums in general).

Although people claim that the rivalry between Mario and Sonic are dead, and that it's okay to like both now, you can still sense a lot of hostility toward Mario games. Now, I'm not saying you're not allowed to not like Mario on your own merit, but take a look at the Transformed Reviews thread. Count the posts that say "Nintendo's feeling threatened by Transformed lol! It's a Mario Kart killer!". Not to mention the joke in an issue of ONM that everyone had a fucking cow about.

I like Nintendo more than Sega, by a long shot. I probably like damn near every Nintendo franchise more than Sonic, except probably Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, and a few others. But I DO like a lot of Sega's franchises and you'll NEVER hear me bad-mouthing them whenever a Nintendo game outsells a similar one or does something that a Sega game tried but better.

-sigh- There will never be peace between Mario and Sonic. There just CAN'T be. There will always be those few people, the few "racists" who shout at black kids from their porches and refuse to let latinos touch anything they own. Except it's less racist and more them being assholes.

Whatever.

• Thumbs Up 4

It goes both ways. If a reviewer compared a Mario game to a Sonic game for no reason, they would be just as stupid.

It goes both ways. If a reviewer compared a Mario game to a Sonic game for no reason, they would be just as stupid.

Oh, I know. I wasn't assuming you were hating on Mario.

I honestly can't stand people who take console wars seriously (whether its the one from the 90s or the present day). I'm fairly certain SEGA and Nintendo didn't actually hate each other, it was all just in good fun and competition. The fact some of their fans still take it 100% completely seriously, especially now that Sonic and Mario aren't really rivals anymore, is just really strange to me. Maybe it's just because I was too young and not really paying attention to the gaming industry back then..?

• Thumbs Up 3

I honestly can't stand people who take console wars seriously (whether its the one from the 90s or the present day). I'm fairly certain SEGA and Nintendo didn't actually hate each other, it was all just in good fun and competition. The fact some of their fans still take it 100% completely seriously, especially now that Sonic and Mario aren't really rivals anymore, is just really strange to me. Maybe it's just because I was too young and not really paying attention to the gaming industry back then..?

It really is baffling to someone like me. Why limit yourself from a whole wealth of video-games just because it wasn't part of a specific brand or from a specific console? I mean yeah, brand loyalty is needed to ensure long-term customers and all, but still...

Edited by Malpercio

People couldn't afford all the consoles back then, so you tended to have to pick one or the other. Sonic being marketed as the "anti-Mario" also contributed. Besides, many people were kids back then, so it really was serious to them. They didn't know the wealth of games, and it's a mindset that stays with you.

People couldn't afford all the consoles back then, so you tended to have to pick one or the other. Sonic being marketed as the "anti-Mario" also contributed. Besides, many people were kids back then, so it really was serious to them. They didn't know the wealth of games, and it's a mindset that stays with you.

Point taken.

Don't forget all the "Colours is Galaxy" shots.

As a person who happens to like both Sonic and Mario, it's upsetting to always see the two sides clash so much, especially when the games themselves go out of their way to go "No, it's okay guys, we're friends now."

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Don't forget all the "Colours is Galaxy" shots.

If anything, IF ANYTHING...Unleashed is Galaxy. And even that's a HUGE stretch.

That's true, I suppose. I just don't understand why people have held onto that mindset, especially after all these years. There's being stubborn, and then there's being unreasonable.

Oh, and I tend to prefer Sonic to Mario, but I've honestly enjoyed all the Mario games I've played. Heck, I kind of take the "Colours is a Mario game ecks dee lawl I'm so funny" comments as a compliment. even if they clearly aren't meant to be. >.> <.<

As a person who happens to like both Sonic and Mario, it's upsetting to always see the two sides clash so much, especially when the games themselves go out of their way to go "No, it's okay guys, we're friends now."

To be honest, when I was younger I often imagined what it would be like if they had a fight or something, because well, that's the kind of thing kids think about. "X vs Y, which hero would win?!", y'know? But even back then I thought it'd be cool if they teamed up and went to the Olympic games kicked a lot of ass.

Edited by elUmentofWII

I'm kinda glad I wasn't around during the Mascot Wars.

I think i speak for a lot of people who were kids back then that, for a kid, the mascot wars were fun. However, i can also definitely imagine that for any gamer who was already an adult (or in his later teens) at that point, the whole thing must have seemed rather annoying and ridiculous.

I have however seen printed proof that, hilariously enough, at least some adult, "professional" video game reviewers took the whole thing as seriously as the kids did. I remember one review of Sonic 3D in a video game magazine where the writer claimed that even though the gameplay wasnt as good as that of the newly released Super Mario 64, the game still had some things over SM64 due to the fact that (and im quoting to the best of my memory) "in some ways, Sonic games are always better than Mario games because Sonic himself is better than Mario. Sonic is much cooler and has more attitude than than Mario, so simply getting to play as Sonic brings the player a certain enjoyment that a Mario game cant".

People? Don't you mean the shit-smeared subhumans that dwell on the Sega Forums?

That hurts :(

I don't think I've heard anyone on SEGA forums say a thing like that!

That hurts sad.png

I don't think I've heard anyone on SEGA forums say a thing like that!

Can any other resident migrants from Sega Forums vouch for this? Popo, Pissy Dissy, can you?

Can any other resident migrants from Sega Forums vouch for this? Popo, Pissy Dissy, can you?

I'll make a thread about it now and we'll see~

I find it totally un-believable to be honest, but hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Edited by Hatsune Miku/Alice

Never heard that myself, and I've been on there for five and a half years. If anything, they want him to become more of a hero again so he can have more spotlight.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Sadly, I can't. I don't really go there that much anymore aside from looking at certain kind of threads. The whole place got a little too nitpicky and negative for my tastes (even moreso than here), it was depressing me. And when everyone in the room is trying to be a witty smartarse... well, there you go. I won't go on and say it's the worst place ever or something, but I do find it a little unpleasant, and it reinforced my belief that maybe aside from here, I can't feel relaxed when talking about anything Sonic.

Not to mention the joke in an issue of ONM that everyone had a fucking cow about.

Was that the one about Sonic 3 and NASCAR racers?

And there you have yet another one from oneself - the fact that reviewers seem to be literally incapable of writing/saying anything about Sonic without starting off with "Sonic hasn't had bright days lately..." and all it's other miserable equivalents. Yes, we get it. There's been rough times. Stop rubbing it in our faces every chance you get.

Watch a Video game review of a Sonic Game > take a shot everytime the reviewer says something negative about the Sonic franchise but not the actual game > Get drunk.

Watch/Read several reviews of Sonic > Take a shot everytime the reviewer thinks nuking all the characters will magically make the series good again and that Eggman should be Robotnik > Die of alchohol poisoning.