Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Yeah, in the same sense that people mistake "complex, deep and dark story" for "grimdark, gore, cussing, and incomprehensible for children."

Funny thing is that I could destroy that logic with several games:

• Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door,
  • Super Paper Mario,
  • LoZ: Majora's Mask (obviously)
  • Megaman X
  • Megaman Zero
  • Kingdom Hearts (oh screw you, that game goes into some existential shit right there)
Anyone else wanna add to the list? Cuz this isn't even getting into mediums outside of gaming.

The fact that Mario does it should be enough of a kick to the gonads on how wrong that belief is, especially when those same people against dark stories LOVE to use Mario as an example for Sonic to follow.

EDIT: Actually, the furry equivalent of Ghost in the Shell sounds pretty badass...

I'll add to the list:

* Pokemon Colosseum And XD

* Digimon World

* Rayman 2

* Maui Mallard In Cold Shadow

* Drawn to Life 3

* Cave Story

* Epic Mickey

* Legend of Spyro series

* Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

* Ninja Turtles Manhattan Missions, Battle Nexus, and Mutant Nightmare.

* Ty 3

Edited by New Year's Miru

Yeah, in the same sense that people mistake "complex, deep and dark story" for "grimdark, gore, cussing, and incomprehensible for children."

Funny thing is that I could destroy that logic with several games:

• Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door,
  • Super Paper Mario,
  • LoZ: Majora's Mask (obviously)
  • Megaman X
  • Megaman Zero
  • Kingdom Hearts (oh screw you, that game goes into some existential shit right there)

Anyone else wanna add to the list? Cuz this isn't even getting into mediums outside of gaming.

How about Sonic Adventure 2? Sonic acts like Sonic, tone's generally bright, story is still dark and complex.

And as most said, Mother 3. No evil alien dimension, just the death of a mother, mutilated wildlife, a brother that goes missing for years, a peaceful, happy town being changed to the point of abandoning their old home for the villain's city, the villain himself doing all his bad things because he's bored (not suprising, given that he's a kid), the game taking place after the end of the world, the missing brother being cybernetically revived for the villain, the brother killing himself...

... and all with bright, colourful graphics.

Yeah.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

How about Sonic Adventure 2? Sonic acts like Sonic, tone's generally bright, story is still dark and complex.

Was kinda using examples outside of Sonic, tho.

This is a true pet peeve, as it's not really that relevant anymore.

It irks me a little that one particular problem that Jason Griffith initially had with Sonic's voice, something obvious, something easy to fix, went unnoticed for so long; the attempted voice is too damn high-pitched for him to effectively produce, ending up with voice-cracking and slipping back and fourth between the attempted pitch and one that's much more native. This should have been obvious to Jason, this should have been obvious to his director, but it seemed to slip past the radar for a very long time, until Sonic Unleashed in fact.

Though his Sonic roles in ShadowTH and Sonic 06 where too far gone to make much difference, having it caught early would have made him progress just that little bit faster and would have made quite the difference from SaTSR onwards.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, Griffith had a real tendency to fluctuate when he was playing Sonic or Jet. Shadow wasn't so bad usually, but the others could become bothersome. Perhaps that's got something to with why I like Smith's voice so much- it sounds natural for Sonic. 

Edited by Blue Blood

I forgot to mention Jet, Jet having a voice much higher in pitch than Sonic's, was a hella lot worse.

Edited by Mysterics

The generalization of the Sonic fandom. The claims that most of the fans are nuts. Such uninformed prejudiced bullshit.

Unless you have personally inspected and interacted with every single one of the millions of Sonic fans in the world, your claim that most or all of them are immature morons incapable of interacting without being hostile or argumentative for the sake of it has no basis whatsoever. To judge an entire group of people and lump them all into the same category and think of them as all being the same because of a minority of bad eggs is ignorant and screams of prejudice.

I also dislike this assumption that Sonic fanfiction is inherently awful and that it isn't worth delving into it because of fanfiction's reputation, also dissing authors on general principle. Another ignorant view to have.

• Thumbs Up 9

Blame the Vocal Minority, Miss Verte. Blame the Vocal Minority.

Also, most of the Sonic fanfic I've read are usually either rubbish ship fics, rubbish crossover fics, rubbish epics with OCs or disgusting tickle/inflation/whathaveyou fics. So you can't really blame the views on Sonic fanfic. I could do better, but I'm not sure if it would be any better, or if it would just go largely unnoticed.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

Also, most of the Sonic fanfic I've read are usually either rubbish ship fics, rubbish crossover fics, rubbish epics with OCs or disgusting tickle/inflation/whathaveyou fics. So you can't really blame the views on Sonic fanfic. I could do better, but I'm not sure if it would be any better, or if it would just go largely unnoticed.

Can't disagree with that :) But my point is, the generalization that all Sonic fics are bad and that all Sonic fic authors are too. You can see this generalization clear as crystal when a means of insulting writing in a Sonic game is to compare it to fanfiction as if fanfiction has never been better than the games' writing.

I dunno, 06's narrative IS a bit fanficcy...

Correction; '06's narrative is like a bad fanfic. The keyword being "bad".

I dunno, 06's narrative IS a bit fanficcy...

It's not "fanficcy," it's just plain horrible.

Let's not use fanfiction as a synonym for horrible, please. Generalizations are meh, after all.

• Thumbs Up 2

The generalization of the Sonic fandom. The claims that most of the fans are nuts. Such uninformed prejudiced bullshit.

ALL OF MY THIS.

Seriously, people act as if this is the single worst and most insane fanbase there is! I've seen much worse, to say the frickin' least! Sure, there are a few crazies, can't deny that, but there's people like that in every fanbase. It's completely ignoring the vast majority just to mindlessly badmouth the Sonic series, (something that pisses me right off as well, but that's another story...) and THAT'S NO GOOD. Some of the downright most thoughtful and sane people I've ever seen are Sonic fans. SONIC FANS, I SAY! >=O

Edited by Jolly Joker Frost
  • Thumbs Up 4

Verte's point ties into another one that I have. The obligatory need to randomly bash the Sonic franchise on the internet in general.

There's a lot of sites that act as if you're the devil's spawn if you so much as say his name or make a harmless Sonic-related reference. There's the consistent air of the web treating Sonic like the red-headed stepchild. And whenever someone's notorious or obnoxious, and they happen to be a Sonic fan, the observers are incredibly quick to act as if being a Sonic fan in itself is the problem. You know, things like "another life ruined by Sonic" and all that.

And of course, there's all the wars. And since the other franchises in question usually tend to be ones I also like (such as Mario or Mega Man), it's doubly depressing for me personally.

Actually, it reminds me of the time my whole class in high school laughed at me for being a Sonic fan. Took a while to get over that one.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

Your entire class laughed at you for your like of Sonic? That is sad. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

It makes me grateful for the respect I get from my friends and co-workers, who know I'm a Sonic fan, and who know I vastly prefer platforming games over shooters and sports games.

It still would be nice to know someone in person who was just as much of a Sonic fan as I am.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's alright. I tend to get laughed at all the time for it in college and that as well, so I'm used to it now.

And whenever someone's notorious or obnoxious, and they happen to be a Sonic fan, the observers are incredibly quick to act as if being a Sonic fan in itself is the problem. You know, things like "another life ruined by Sonic" and all that.

I just assume that these people just have a horrible childhood and move along. I'm happy that Sonic is in my life. It made me a better person.

Edited by sonfan1984

If anything I think the fandom has really mellowed out over the past couple years and I wouldn't really call us one of the 'worst' fandoms out there. Yeah, we have our fair share of idiots, but so do other fandoms.

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything I think the fandom has really mellowed out over the past couple years and I wouldn't really call us one of the 'worst' fandoms out there. Yeah, we have our fair share of idiots, but so do other fandoms.

That initial perception of us has definitely been scarred into the minds of the world; I would know, I still suffer the wounds based on several of my more recent posts.

There's a lot of sites that act as if you're the devil's spawn if you so much as say his name or make a harmless Sonic-related reference. There's the consistent air of the web treating Sonic like the red-headed stepchild. And whenever someone's notorious or obnoxious, and they happen to be a Sonic fan, the observers are incredibly quick to act as if being a Sonic fan in itself is the problem. You know, things like "another life ruined by Sonic" and all that.

Story of my life in real.

Well, it's not bad now, as his reputation is getting better and my friends are more mature now but before... it was pretty bad.

The second section of Sonic's Sky Deck always got on my nerves.

The wind can literally blow Sonic away and hanging onto something to prevent this is impractical when the masses of cannons can lock onto him and send him flying anyway when they hit him.

And then there's the part that is collapsing that you have to run across as fast as possible with all the fighter jets taking off from.

And then there's the part with the giant cannon that can only be destroyed when it's aligned with a missile.

Nah, scrap that. The ENTIRETY of the Sky Deck stage is a pain in the ass.