Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Are they really? Well that's interesting then; I stand corrected. I'm not sure if people who say that his spikes are hair actually know this though :P

On the same tangent as annoying Sonic level design...

sonic3-carnival_night_zone-0000002397.pn

Anyone who says that getting past this thing is "Intuitive" is a damn liar/Is speaking out of their ass.

The way this part of the level was laid out screams "puzzle", intentionally put there just for the sake of taxing players. Dio has said it very well;

Because using up and down to move a thing is (to my recollection) never used anywhere else in any of the Genesis Sonics, the game gives you very little visual feedback if you're doing it right (the barrel only bobs a tiny bit the first time you do it, and Sonic himself does nothing), and jumping on it looks like the obvious solution (since jumping on things is a very common action and method for interacting, it gives you a much greater response the first time you do it, and you can come very close to doing it that way which leads people to believe that it's the right solution but they're not doing it well enough).

Congrats on solving a shitty puzzle as a kid and all, but that doesn't mean it isn't a shitty puzzle.

No, it isn't. Pressing up and down is outside your usual array of "tools" in the series, and the barrels locking you into the rotating animation give you little visual feedback (Sonic is apparently doing nothing to make the barrel move). On the other hand, the barrel reacts very obviously to jumping, which is one of your primary means of interacting with things in the series (and platformers in general), and it's fairly simple to get very close to passing it like this (and from what I've heard it is technically possible). Because it comes so close to working, people are inclined to blame it on their lack of skill or the game being poorly designed, and not realize they've got it wrong from the start.

This barrel is so infamous that even Yuji Naka himself apologized for it at SoS 2011 despite not being responsible for designing the puzzle (He was however responsible for programming it's physics but that's not the point)

• Thumbs Up 4

Are they really? Well that's interesting then; I stand corrected. I'm not sure if people who say that his spikes are hair actually know this though tongue.png

On this subject though, what's even the deal with his spikes? Because it they're technically hair, how can he possibly have hair growing on his hair? 

ozkurtsonic.jpg

It's not just '06- he has a hair texture on his current model (also Werehog). And Classic Sonic doesn't have any fur texture, he's completely smooth.

Edited by Blue Blood

On the same tangent as annoying Sonic level design...

Anyone who says that getting past this thing is "Intuitive" is a damn liar/Is speaking out of their ass.

The way this part of the level was laid out screams "puzzle", intentionally put there just for the sake of taxing players. Dio has said it very well;

This barrel is so infamous that even Yuji Naka himself apologized for it at SoS 2011 despite not being responsible for designing the puzzle (He was however responsible for programming it's physics but that's not the point)

That fucking barrel. Yeah, I couldn't work out how to get past it for ages. Strangely I kind of glitched my way passed the barrell by accident (Tails - AL controlled - moved the barrell up and down and I/Sonic was able to get passed it), and thus I was able to complete the game before I learned the correct technique to get past the barrel.

This always makes me laugh, check out 5.07:

I like how that seems to be the only gimmick in Sonic 3 that fans ever complain about. The rest of the game must be perfect then.

Edited by Robin John Blake

ozkurtsonic.jpg

Butt ugliness aside, this model doesn't even make a lot of sense. He has fur on his stomach and inner ears yet not on his muzzle and arms? Werehog is understandable because it contributes to his intentionally wild and shaggy look but it doesn't look right at all on normal form's model IMO.

I got the impression from the texture on some models that his quills are composed of thousands of smaller spines 'clumped' into 6 large ones.

I got the impression from the texture on some models that his quills are composed of thousands of smaller spines 'clumped' into 6 large ones.

Yeah, if I were to give a realistic explanation as to what the deal is with Sonic's spikes, this'd be it.

Butt ugliness aside, this model doesn't even make a lot of sense. He has fur on his stomach and inner ears yet not on his muzzle and arms? Werehog is understandable because it contributes to his intentionally wild and shaggy look but it doesn't look right at all on normal form's model IMO.

That's why it's left on the drawing board, though I'm' not quite sure what you mean by 'wherehog is understandable' because the fur doesn't cover the wherehog in the same way. Personally I'm more fussed that Sonic looks like he has 'hair on his hair(quills)', with wherehog it does look a bit like that but not so obviously.

Edited by Mysterics

Game reviewers who drag up 'Sonic's dark ages' every time a new game is released.

Every new sonic game that comes out, you can pretty much assume that 'Sonic's past games were shocking. lol' will be somewhere in the first paragraph, if not the first sentence.

It's not like the gaming world hasn't heard it several dozen times already from pretty much every game review site that sits upon this earth.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who continue to bash Sonic 06 simply because it's easy to. Don't get me wrong, I think Sonic 06 isn't a good game. However, every single analysis, every single video review on Youtube just beats the dead horse a little more. The game has been out for over 5 years now, we've heard it all before. I'm yet to see any new review to come out that looks at it in any other way other than 'glitches. bad writing. bestiality'.

Ok, the Sonic 06 thread has gone on for a long time and I really can't find the time to read through the whole thing, so there may well be some new discussions in there that I've missed, but that's the genera feeling I've had with every review of the game I've read.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, if I were to give a realistic explanation as to what the deal is with Sonic's spikes, this'd be it.

I still get weirded out when you get electrocuted in All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles all seem to suffer from 'bones in spines'; although, I really hope I am simply imagining that because that'd be creepy.

That's why it's left on the drawing board, though I'm' not quite sure what you mean by 'wherehog is understandable' because the fur doesn't cover the wherehog in the same way. Personally I'm more fussed that Sonic looks like he has 'hair on his hair(quills)', with wherehog it does look a bit like that but not so obviously.

Werehog has fur on his arms and inner ears, the exact same places that prototype '06 model has fur. Looks awful on normal form but not on Werehog form in the same places because his arms are the most notable aspects of his design and the fact they're covered in fur aids his wild look. The ears also look appropriate with shaggy fur in them because again, it contributes to his wild wolfish look. I also like how he doesn't have furry hands because I think if they did, it'd detract from their huge and powerful look and would probably look odd next to his sharp nails.

Gah, I love the Werehog form's design. It's such a cool combination of toughness and silliness, both getting across how he can rip enemies limb from limb whilst looking comical at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm yet to see any new review to come out that looks at it in any other way other than 'glitches. bad writing. bestiality'.

See, '06's design is pretty poor. But if we imagine for a moment that the game actually worked and if Sonic Team had finished it, it could have potentially been mediocre. Definitely not good, but you know, simply a meh game with a crappy story. And that's in contrast to ShTH, which was plainly rotten to the very core. It's kind of a peeve that people just seem to remember ShTH only for guns and aliens, and not the sheer atrocity of it's gameplay.

I still get weirded out when you get electrocuted in All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles all seem to suffer from 'bones in spines'; although, I really hope I am simply imagining that because that'd be creepy.

SCD_electrocuted.png  fmern.png

According to this scrapped CD sprite and Knuckles' electrocuted sprite from S&K, they don't have bones in their spines. I think the designers always intended for their quills to be spines and not bony extensions of their heads.

*reads the comments section*

What is up with people saying that Yuji Naka is racist to the American fans and he owes them some kind of apology? unsure.png  

According to this scrapped CD sprite and Knuckles' electrocuted sprite from S&K, they don't have bones in their spines. I think the designers always intended for their quills to be spines and not bony extensions of their heads.

The extra bones work well in favour of comic effect though. 

bones28b.png

*reads the comments section*

What is up with people saying that Yuji Naka is racist to the American fans and he owes them some kind of apology? unsure.png  

Because they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

The misconception that Naka is a racist stems from two justifiable actions he took in the 90's.

The first is his insistence that Sonic 3's development team be all-Japanese. The reason as to why he did this stems from a huge issue that plagued the development of Sonic 2. Specifically how the team was made up of both American and Japanese staff and that the language barrier was a massive stumbling block as it prevented satisfactory communication, making the games development far more problematic.

The second is how he stood up for his rights during X-Treme's terrible development period and took back his NiGHTS engine that bold-as-brass Bernie Stolar nicked and gave to STI without permission.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah I know, I was just mentioning Transformed and what it appears to be, whether it is or I'm just seeing things.

Well, at least Transformed isn't canon or we'd have yet another inconsistency to deal with. 

When people tell me Blaze is ugly just because she's new.

More to do with the fact that her forehead is huuuuuuuge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think she's quite adorable. And her forehead would be somewhat out of place if someone didn't slingshot a red jewel into her head.

People who want Big back in Sonic and All Stars Racing 3. Big was retired, and fir very good reasons. He was very unpopular. He stood as a symbols of the franchise's decay, the poster boy of what everyone hated about Sonic's friends. At Sonic's lowest point, he was amongst the most hated video game characters ever made, Sonic or otherwise.

Edited by We-Miru-A-Merry-Christmas

People who want Big back in Sonic and All Stars Racing 3. Big was retired, and fir very good reasons. He was very unpopular. He stood as a symbols of the franchise's decay, the poster boy of what everyone hated about Sonic's friends. At Sonic's lowest point, he was the most hated video game character.

i thought all that was Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 7

i thought all that was Shadow.

Actually, it would probably be Silver, mostly because he had the misfortune of appearing in the worst Sonic game.

P.S. Inb4 Miru goes El Pollo Loco on Silver.

Pfft, it was Shadow who represented the beginning of the downward spiral, was it not? The dull and gloomy atmosphere of his game, the weaponry and strange gimmicks forced into it, and of course the general fuckery with the atmosphere of the series were brought about by his game and his character in general! The direction they took Shadow in affected the direction the series went in, and it was a direction I and many others didn't like or want to follow.

All Big did was kick bubblegum and chew ass in all two of his main series appearances.

As for actual pet peeves with the series, poor ol' Big gets too much hate in my opinion... :(