Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Sonic Rush Adventure and it's forced backtracking.

Backtracking has never suited Sonic gameplay; I'd rather go forward into each level once I'm done with the last, never having to look back. But the collectable macguffins needed to make the metaphorical keys to access the next part of the game are often found on specific islands. Meaning that even if you manage to get S Ranks on every level in the game, you're inevitably going to be made to travel back to Machine Labyrinth to get that Bronze Material.

Which would be annoying by itself... but the fact that you HAVE to do that water minigame EVERY SINGLE TIME you go somewhere you've already been just really drags for me. It's why I've never bothered to go beyond Coral Cave - I don't wan't to play a level I already beat several more times before the game says "OK, you can move on now".

If there is, I don't know about it. If it IS there, I'll probably be more willing to dive back in.

EDIT: Am currently getting through Plant Kingdom to see if it's there.

EDIT 2: Oh. There IS a level select. Excellent.

In that case, what's with the "Ghost ___" naming theme for the bosses? The (apparant) villain is a robot pirate, and the bosses don't look ghostly, so what's the reasoning behind it?

Also, Y U no autosave, game?

Edited by Spin Attaxx

There is a level select. And a map select where you can do the entireity of both acts and the boss again if you so choose. If you press Y at the village (I think), these things come up.

I don't remember having much of a hard time with it. True, if you want the emeralds you're gonna have to fully upgrade your ship to stand a chance against Johnny in the last few races, but there are actually 16 Hidden Islands to find so it's worth doing those anyway.

I also think this is the reason that the main levels are shorter than in the first game, as well as having the missions and stuff. They knew you'd be backtracking to them a lot so they made them less tedious to play.

Doing all the missions gets you jack shit though, seems to be a common thing in Sonic games, which is annoying. Sure I like to do the missions (did them all here and in Generations, less so in other games like 06) but to get nothing for it is just lame. Especially collecting the red rings in Episode 2. All you get is an achievement and there's only one in each level, compared to an achievement for them in Generations where there are fucking loads but each one unlocks something, usually artwork.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Doing all the missions gets you jack shit though, seems to be a common thing in Sonic games, which is annoying.

If I remember correctly, don't those missions "reward" you with cosmetic changes to your island?

In that case, what's with the "Ghost ___" naming theme for the bosses? The (apparant) villain is a robot pirate, and the bosses don't look ghostly, so what's the reasoning behind it?

This is something I've wondered too. All of the bosses have a common design theme regarding their eyes that makes them look more evil than Eggman's typical boss robots, so maybe they're creations of Nega and he names his creations with 'Ghost' instead of 'Egg' at the beginning?

I don't think there are any Rivals bosses with "Ghost" in them. Also, he's "Eggman" Nega, not "Ghostman" Nega.

On the subject of SRA, the biggest friggin' annoyance of that game until it's drilled into your memory is that there's no autosave.  That lead to one or two real frustrations after long plays.  Nowadays I remember every time of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

Special Stage motherfucking 5, I hated that shit, gawd. Fucking spikes, bombs, and bullshit ass Johnny.

Oh is there anyway to replay Johnny races?  I'm sure there isn't.  I always feel out of the loop when people moan about them because I've only ever done them once, it's hard to remember how bad they are.

I do love the Jet Ski though.  Really fun to play, I wish there had been some cool preset obstacle courses or something to play.

I do love the Jet Ski though.  Really fun to play, I wish there had been some cool preset obstacle courses or something to play.

Viking Cup?

If I remember correctly, don't those missions "reward" you with cosmetic changes to your island?

Oh yeah, they do. Wasn't a great reward, but it's something. It pisses me off when you don't get anything, because these items do nothing anyway, it's not like a Metroidvania where you can get all the items so you have the maximum amount of health and missiles/mana/grenades/full set of equipment/whatever.

Oh yeah, they do. Wasn't a great reward, but it's something. It pisses me off when you don't get anything, because these items do nothing anyway, it's not like a Metroidvania where you can get all the items so you have the maximum amount of health and missiles/mana/grenades/full set of equipment/whatever.

Well of course its gonna pale in comparison to a -vania esc title.

On top of the cosmetic changes, you did get a few other things, such as the soundtrack playback option(s), a few medals and even more content.

Oh is there anyway to replay Johnny races?  I'm sure there isn't.  I always feel out of the loop when people moan about them because I've only ever done them once, it's hard to remember how bad they are.

You talk to Norman (the polar bear Viking) at the Ocean Tornado port and select the Viking Cup. You can find Johnny races there.

• Thumbs Up 1

How Sonic and Knuckles were suddenly super-chummy and worked really well together, talking about Sonic heroes here, and they've usually been this way since.

Could see them being close friends,best friends even, but this after they've always been rather uncertain of each other up to that point? Won't buy it. Getting along swimmingly?  Wont buy that ever.  

Edited by Mysterics

When people hype fangames to high heavens.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that they took the time to make these fangames for our favorite series 'n all, but sometimes I feel like people just like to praise the game for so many reasons it seems unreal.

I dunno, maybe it's something I just don't see.

• Thumbs Up 5

How Sonic and Knuckles were suddenly super-chummy and worked really well together, talking about Sonic heroes here, and they've usually been this way since.

Could see them being close friends,best friends even, but this after they've always been rather uncertain of each other up to that point? Won't buy it. Getting along swimmingly?  Wont buy that ever.  

Well do they really have any reason to not trust each other at this point? It's pretty obvious they're on the same page more often than not.

Well do they really have any reason to not trust each other at this point? It's pretty obvious they're on the same page more often than not.

Eh, a misunderstanding every now and then wouldn't hurt. But how they would go about doing that would be difficult at this point.

When people hype fangames to high heavens.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that they took the time to make these fangames for our favorite series 'n all, but sometimes I feel like people just like to praise the game for so many reasons it seems unreal.

I dunno, maybe it's something I just don't see.

"LOL THE FANS ARE BETTER AT MAKING GAMES THAN SONIC TEAM"

Major pet-peeve. It wouldn't be so bad if it was said on more innovative fangames/hacks.

• Thumbs Up 8

Major pet-peeve. It wouldn't be so bad if it was said on more innovative fangames/hacks.

Gonna second this right here.

Yeah, all the fan-made games tend to be knock-offs of the Genesis or Advance games. I'd like to see them make a fully 3D game that works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, all the fan-made games tend to be knock-offs of the Genesis or Advance games. I'd like to see them make a fully 3D game that works.

most of them don't have any good level designs anyway

I've heard good things about Sonic Robo Blast 2. That's it, though.

Depends what you mean by 'this point', Sonic Heroes? Taking the previous game SA2, they trusted each other as allies no doubt, whether they were friends was questionable, they weren't close that's for sure,then suddenly, super-power-of-teamwork.

Edited by Mysterics

I think you missed my point.

I like them being friends, it's how that 'happened.'

What's wrong with it?

They were enemies through most of S3&K, but only because Knuckles was tricked. When Eggman revealed his true colors and Knuckles was too weakened to continue, he was willing to trust Sonic to take care of things.

In SA they're still not best bros, and Knuckles is on edge due to the emerald being shattered, so it's easy enough to nudge him into getting into a fight with Sonic. But there's no bad blood afterwards, they each just continue on with their business.

And in SA2 there's really no hesitation for them to help each other, once they run into each other. Yeah, they have a bit of a scuffle on the shuttle, but that's it.

I'm not seeing what the problem is, it seems a pretty reasonable progression to me.

• Thumbs Up 3