Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

When people complain Colours and Generations are far too easy, yet they say "omg Unleashed was amazing it was challenging and long and stuff" when most of that is filler and the Day stages were only hard because of bottomless pit spam and insta-kill reaction time bullshit.

Not that Colours and Generations aren't really easy, but at least they aren't hard for insane bullshit reasons.

Edited by Semi-colon e

But what really baffled me is that reviewers gave Unleashed a lower score than 06! I mean seriously, what the hell?!!!!!?!!

Not that many did, some did yeah, but many didn't.

Sonic 2006 averages 46 on Metacritic and Unleashed averages 60 (or 66 for the Wii version... THAT is weird...)

When people complain Colours and Generations are far too easy, yet they say "omg Unleashed was amazing it was challenging and long and stuff" when most of that is filler and the Day stages were only hard because of bottomless pit spam and insta-kill reaction time bullshit.

Not that Colours and Generations aren't really easy, but at least they aren't hard for insane bullshit reasons.

There weren't that many pitfalls in the Day levels to be honest. I'd say Colours had more.

Edited by Tobbii

The main story is definitely longer in Unleashed. Let's say you don't have to worry about medal collecting because you manage to collect enough during your runs of the levels. You still have...

• 8 Hegehog stages
  • 8 Werehog stages (which are loooooong by the end of it)
  • Traversing the Villages/Capitals
  • Traversing the Entrance stages to find power ups
  • 2 Tornado Defence stages
  • Eggmanland
  • 6 bosses
  • Dark Gaia
  • ... and then you can factor in all the extra bits and pieces you're free to explore: extra acts, collecting medals to unlock extra acts, town missions, exorcisms, hot dog missions, collectibles, following the lives of the townspeople, experience system for Hedgehog and Werehog. Not mandatory, but all extras that will make standard playthroughs longer and increase replayability.

Then with Generations you've got...

• 9 Classic stages
    • 9 Modern stages
    • 6 bosses
    • 18 mandatory missions
    • Time Eater
    • And for extras you have Red Rings and missions.

Generations is a shorter and smaller game than Unleashed. Better? YMMV, but it's definitely got a lot less content both in and out of the main story.

Re-read my quote. I never said they're exactly the same length. I even admitted the Werehog stages were far longer, but that many would see that as a disadvantage rather than a good thing.

In the end you have 17 Stages vs 18 Stages, 7 Bosses vs 7 Bosses. That was my point, nothing else. I am well aware the game is longer in other ways.

Re-read my quote. I never said they're exactly the same length. I even admitted the Werehog stages were far longer, but that many would see that as a disadvantage rather than a good thing.

In the end you have 17 Stages vs 18 Stages, 7 Bosses vs 7 Bosses. That was my point, nothing else. I am well aware the game is longer in other ways.

Here's your quote-

...But they were both pretty much the same length. The difference was Unleashed's forced medal collecting and long cutscenes. If you just play the levels/missions you need to finish the game, they're about the same length I'd say.

Long cutscenes make not an ounce of difference because you can skip them, and there's more in Unleashed than just the mandatory stages (which I'd also argue are longer and more diffcult than Generations when you compare Daytime to Modern).

Here's your quote-

Long cutscenes make not an ounce of difference because you can skip them, and there's more in Unleashed than just the mandatory stages (which I'd also argue are longer and more diffcult than Generations when you compare Daytime to Modern).

Cutscenes in Unleashed is unskippable.

And yes "pretty much the same length" was me saying "Yeah, they're kind of the same length", as in the same amount of stages and bosses. There's more to Generations than the mandatory missions as well btw.

Cutscenes in Unleashed is unskippable.

And yes "pretty much the same length" was me saying "Yeah, they're kind of the same length", as in the same amount of stages and bosses. There's more to Generations than the mandatory missions as well btw.

They aren't unskippable. You have to press A/Start a few times. It's so you don't skip them by accident.

What more is there to the main story gameplay of Generations than the mandatory missions? And then, what is there in terms of general replayability?

EDIT: Actually this discussion sucks and is off topic. Unleashed is the bigger game- no ifs, no buts. It just is and I'm not going to say anything else about it.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

- It's "hubs" (Should I even call them that?) are half-assed static screens

Well some people do prefer that to be honest.

As for why it got higheer scores? Well, it only average 6 points higher. Given that the Wii version was mostly played by Nintendo Exclusive outlets they probably didn't compare it to the HD one but rather just rated it on its own and it turned out that way.

Can I say that it really annoys me how much praise Sonic Generations get when really it wasn't that amazing? It was too short, too easy, had the worst final boss in history and it was just so underwhelming, more so than Sonic Colours.

It's unjust that Sonic Unleashed gets worse reviews when it's 10x better than Generations! If this is a sign of what future Sonic games will be like, I'm NOT looking forward to it.

This is the exact shit I'm talking about. Why is it so bad that Generations got better scores? For starters Generations controls far better than Unleashed, and the animation isn't as stiff. There's no Werehog to pad the game out, and there's no tedious Medal collecting.

Another peeve of mine is how people don't know how to keep their personal feelings out of review of a game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Another peeve of mine is how people don't know how to keep their personal feelings out of review of a game.

What?

You realize personal feelings is EVERYTHING to a review right? Everything good and everything bad comes down to personal preferences, some loved Werehog (like me) and some didn't (like most), should I not write in a review that I found Werehog fun then? No, I should. Because a review should reflect that persons view on the game at hand, otherwise reviews are pointless.

Or am I missing your point?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well some people do prefer that to be honest.

That's fine, but you can't say they weren't half-assed. Just static screens (really ugly, claustrophobically designed ones too), no animation, no voice clips, no sense of place whatsoever (literally in some countries they just dot the "locations" around utterly randomly).

The characterisation was also way off compared to the HD version, with all the characters having incorrect personalities/relationships or just utterly boring watered down ones.

In fact in terms of arsing about the SD version actually had MORE since every country required you to inanely chat to a dozen people to open up the stage. Even at the three points in the HD version you had to do that, at least you were playing that rather than just clicking things and mashing A. And then for most countries you can just locate and head straight into the stages if you want to.

Just... gaw the SD version is so dead. The hubs are just cardboard cut-outs and the stages look like ghost towns.

• Thumbs Up 4

calling Sonic's Quills hair, or spikes

really annoys the hell out of me for some reason

or any hedgehog really

"oh look at amy's hair!" they're quills!

i call em spines, :P i dont really know why, other than quills makes me think of something very thin and long, whereas spines, such as on an echidna are thicker versions, i guess they are closer to sonic's.

id say spikes is okay, since Ivo repeatedly called Sonic a spikey blue thing among other insults. XD

Or am I missing your point?

I think he means keeping certain prejudices out of a review. Basically akin to marking a game down for having a character you don't like, for example.

"The game's good, but X character is in it and I don't like him. So that get's points off." He might not have worded it very well, mind you.

But then again, only he can say what he meant.

Yup, I played the Wii version of Unleashed first and when I finally played the 360 version, even I admit it's much, much better than the other one. >_> Didn't deserve the higher score from critics.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay this is like the dumbest thing ever but it really really annoys me that on Sonic Rush's Mirage Road Zone, the level design is hell-bent on making the post-enemy room GO! >>> arrows be pointing in the wrong direction within a second of you leaving the room (due to those direction-reversing swing-lifts usually).

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh and here's another one. Sonic advance 2's sky canyon boss. Sometimes if you get hit by that thing it will damage you normally, other times times it will kill you with one hit, regardless of how many rings you have. That thing pissed me off so much as a kid.

Speaking of which (again), I also hate it when someone other than Sonic or Eggman appears (even if it's one of the older characters in the series like Tails), and commenters immediately declare the game "RUINED FOREVER" just because one or two of "Sonic's shitty friends" (which is sadly labeled on anyone not Sonic or Eggman) merely appeared. People are still doing this as shown by Generations, even though Sonic's friends did little in that entire game altogether. Ugh.

What annoys me about that is most of those same people who bashes the recent games for having 'Sonic's shitty friends' for even showing their faces in the games at all will turn right around and praise the Adventure series as being the 'last good games' even though you'll spend a good amount of time playing as 'shitty friends' then you do playing as Sonic himself. It's so stupid and it's a huge double standard and I wish that this whole shitty friends fad will die.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

What annoys me about that is most of those same people who bashes the recent games for having 'Sonic's shitty friends' for even showing their faces in the games at all will turn right around and praise the Adventure series as being the 'last good games' even though you'll spend a good amount of time playing as 'shitty friends' then you do playing as Sonic himself. It's so stupid and it's a huge double standard and I wish that this whole shitty friends fad will die.

Yeah, I agree it makes no sense.=/

• Thumbs Up 1

What annoys me about that is most of those same people who bashes the recent games for having 'Sonic's shitty friends' for even showing their faces in the games at all will turn right around and praise the Adventure series as being the 'last good games'

Is that really that common though? I mean, for the "Sonic's friends sucks"-people and the "The Adventure games were the last good Sonic games"-people to actually be one and the same? I think the "Sonic's friends sucks"-opinion can much more commonly be found among those who thinks that Sonic hasn't been good since way back in the Mega Drive era. Adventure-era fans are probably usually the ones who are the most keen on having loads of playable characters.

Is that really that common though? I mean, for the "Sonic's friends sucks"-people and the "The Adventure games were the last good Sonic games"-people to actually be one and the same? I think the "Sonic's friends sucks"-opinion can much more commonly be found among those who thinks that Sonic hasn't been good since way back in the Mega Drive era. Adventure-era fans are probably usually the ones who are the most keen on having loads of playable characters.

Yeah, that's why I've said most. Sonic Adventure fans or the people who doesn't mind the other characters in the series. But then there are people who likes to jump into the bandwagon cause it's the popular thing to do now is bash on anybody who isn't Sonic and then they go around to claim the Adventure series to be the 'last good games'. It don't make sense to me at all and it's one of the reasons why I don't read comments on youtube, IGN, and other non-Sonic websites anymore.

Edited by sonfan1984

OH, oh, I got one!

Although I have pretty much been in charge of defending '06 here lately, I have learned to tolerate most glitches, but if there is one I do not understand, it's the one in Wave Ocean's Mach segment. In fact, it's right at the last loop-de-loop.

You have to position Sonic as far left to the beginning of the rock loop as possible before you start the loop, otherwise, well... That loop is scripted but if you are not positioned all the way to the left, you never hit that last jump ramp, and if you don't hit it, you die.

So yeah, I wasted many a life, and many a S-rank missing that last ramp. Pissed me off.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 2

When people say Sonic Adventure 2 is the last good Sonic game and everything else after it sucks.

Guess they haven't played Colors or Generations.

When people say Sonic Adventure 2 is the last good Sonic game and everything else after it sucks.

Guess they haven't played Colors or Generations.

And I hate people who treat Sonic Unleashed as if it was a game that didn't have any quality whatsoever and as if it was not relevant to make games like Colors or Generations even possible to exist.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I have another thing that makes me want to throw tables.

Can someone please explain to my WHY you find the medal collecting that hard? What the hell is so difficult about it? I just don't get it. The medals are so easy to find, it's not even funny (except a few, but you will still have enough) What pisses me off even more is that you only needed 1/2 of all the medals in order to beat the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, I have another thing that makes me want to throw tables.

Can someone please explain to my WHY you find the medal collecting that hard? What the hell is so difficult about it? I just don't get it. The medals are so easy to find, it's not even funny (except a few, but you will still have enough) What pisses me off even more is that you only needed 1/2 of all the medals in order to beat the game.

Because people are...I dunno...afraid of actually investing any real effort and/or time into the game? I agree that the 120 sun medal requirement for Adabat Day Act 1 may be a little unreasonable but the rest of the acts medal requirements aren't even steep whatsoever and aren't a challenge to fulfill if you've been picking up medals, most of which are perfectly easy to obtain.

The problem is, people focus too much on speed and the straight objective rather than loosening up a little and making the effort to explore a little off the narrow path to grab medals.

• Thumbs Up 5