Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

^So you're saying basically the classic versions might as well have been from last week? 

More that the classic designs are simply fourth-wall breakingly inconsistent art design done purely for our enjoyment as an audience.  It doesn't necessarily mean it is a canon fact that once Sonic looked like this and now Sonic looks like this and there was a gradual change inbetween.

It's just art.  Much in the same way that the original Chemical Plant didn't have a smoke-filled sky but Generations' rendition does, it doesn't mean they're not the same place.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 8

Then doesn't it make even less sense that the classic ones should be shorter. Classic Sonic was supposed to be 1 metre tall just like his current style...

It would look weird I suppose.

Edited by Mysterics

Then doesn't it make even less sense that the classic ones should be shorter. Classic Sonic was supposed to be 1 metre tall just like his current style...

It would look weird I suppose.

Like JezMM said, just art.  Plus you need a way of immediately distinguishing the two and changing the color of their eyes alone probably wouldn't have done that so easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

People who insist that he's canonically 16, whether because of Generations or because of older profiles or because of because. 

• Thumbs Up 4

People who insist that he's canonically 16, whether because of Generations or because of older profiles or because of because. 

People getting the characters ages wrong in general is a pet peeve of mine. I mean, it's one thing when people get it wrong but then accept the facts when they get corrected usually by moi. But when they, like you said, insist that a certain wrong age is in fact the right one and wont listen to reason, that's annoying. I think that appart from the "Sonic is 16" idea, the most common and therefore most annoying wrongly stated age is probably "Tails is 10".

Well, Sonic has been 15 forever, but then he had a birthday, and we know the birthday takes place after all of the main games up to that point because of their respective stages' reappearance... So wouldn't that logically bump his age up to 16 now, or did he just somehow manage to have a birthday that did nothing for his age, or is Generations just not canon at all?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Sonic has been 15 forever, but then he had a birthday, and we know the birthday takes place after all of the main games up to that point because of their respective stages' reappearance... So wouldn't that logically bump his age up to 16 now, or did he just somehow manage to have a birthday that did nothing for his age, or is Generations just not canon at all?

The second option, it looks like. 

Which makes no sense. How in the world do you have a birthday and don't get physically older in the process? Do people in Sonic's world just celebrate birthdays whenever the hell they feel like it regardless?

I personally don't mind the moments others describe as cringe worthy, i personally like a bit of cheese in my sonic game, I loved the sonic heroes theme, and escape from the city, and that's almost as cheesy as it gets. when it comes to '06 though, it doesn't count as "cheesy", it's just poor. The dialogue for that game was so poorly written, and the sound editing was sloppy. yeah, sa2 had poor sound editing, and is something that annoys me every now and again, but lines like "that tornado's carrying a car" and "sounds like being a princess isn't that easy" send a chill down my spine whenever I hear them...

I was playing Sylvania Castle Act 3 of Sonic 4 Ep2 this morning. I was near the end of the level and I died. I came back to a starpost (checkpoint) near the end of the level. I tried to backtrack so that I could obtain at least 50 rings to get a special stage.

However, I wasn't able to do this, because you know those brown walls that you can only break by using the super-spindash (69er) co-op move with Tails? Well those walls had re-spawned when I died, and you CANNOT BREAK THE WALLS by using the 69er move if you are trying break them from the right side (i.e you want to go from right to left). If you look at the walls graphics close up, it looks slightly more solid on the right side than the left.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous. I mean okay it was my fault for dying, but why the hell should that prevent you from being able to backtrack through the zone (this meant I couldn't get 50 rings). The walls should never respawn. That is just crap design.

Edited by Robin John Blake

Ignorant critics( Gameinformer) that continue to bitch and moan about Sonic 06 really make my blood boil.

I hate the sound the post-06 Springs make...

It really annoys me ;_;Ba-zwooooooooooooom

I quite like it actually, maybe because it reminds me of AoStH which was my introduction to the Sonic franchise.

Not sure if this is a pet-peeve or not. Anyways, it's either me or the game, but ASRT seems to be getting gradually more glitchy online everytime I play, and it's quite frustrating. Things like me getting a DNF when I got 1st, simply nudging another player and getting sent off the track, random framerate issues that pretty much would not let me play or move for like 45 seconds, etc. I like it and all, but after a while, it gets kinda ridiculous for me.

When Sonic Adventure fanboys complain about different gameplay styles in games like Unleashed.  "Playing as the werehog is STUPID, they should make it like the Adventure games again!"

I will gladly take the werehog over treasure hunting any day.

Edited by Gaming Misfit

I will gladly take the werehog over treasure hunting any day.

I would do the same if the camera was better in some spots.

I hate the sound the post-06 Springs make...

It really annoys me ;_;

Ba-zwooooooooooooom

All of 06's sound effects suck. Landing on a rail is my least fave.

I don't like how TV moniters and Signposts have been replaced with capsules/big rings with a number in them/square heads and Goal Rings.

Also, the removal of rolling, the spindash and that newer games makes jumping into enemies (without using the Homing Attack) nearly pointless.

I don't like how TV moniters and Signposts have been replaced with capsules/big rings with a number in them/square heads and Goal Rings.

Why? These are pretty reasonable changes given the move to 3D.

I gues maybe the Goal Ring feels less unique and special compared to signposts.

OH WOW A GIANT RING THAT'S UNIQUE.

On moniters, I can see your point: jumping on them in 3D could be finnicky.

OH WOW A SIGN WHO CARES

I know it was the traditional end-of-level object, but I don't really feel like we lose anything by replacing them. And there's the functional issues; in 2D you're never going to see the back of the signpost until Sonic flips it, in 3D nothing's preventing you from walking behind it, meaning the whole flipping from Eggman to Sonic thing doesn't really work. They're also relatively small, meaning they're relatively hard to hit now that we're moving in 3D space, and I think they'd look pretty ridiculous if they were much bigger.

Likewise with monitors. They only show their contents in one direction, which is fine in 2D since they'll always be facing the player, but that's not the case in 3D. Capsules gave you a full 360-degree view and could more plausibly be rotated at other angles to better face Sonic/the player, and things like the big 10-rings simply look like what they are so the angle doesn't matter.

I mean, I liked the old stuff too, but there are functional reasons why they changed them, and I don't think they were ever so vital that you should be bothered by that.

• Thumbs Up 2

That Black Doom was directly involved with the creation of Shadow the Hedgehog, and how that game destroyed Gerald's character.

Seriously, when thinking of a reason as to why Gerald created Shadow (Wasn't it mentioned in the japanese manual that maria has a disease?) the best they could come up was aliens?

• Thumbs Up 1