Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Stuff like "Shadamy" for example, to me is a pet peeve in itself.

One of Amy's defining traits is that she's in love with Sonic, so for people to satisfy this weird Shadamy fetish they have to write stupid-ass fanfics where Amy falls out of love with Sonic. For Amy to fall out of love with Sonic, Sonic has to be a dick that no-one would waste their time on. For Shadow to give Amy the D replace Sonic as Amy's love interest, he has to actually like her in the first place. Vice versa for Amy to fall in love with Shadow.

Is there really any point to this kind of stupid obsession when the only likelihood it has involves making everyone involved randomly out of character?

tl;dr - I don't get shipping sad.png

Yeah, that's probably part of the reason why shipfics are sometimes hated. When the characters are written in a way that's totally OOC just to support the ship, then it's bad. Combine that with the fact that people tend to generalize, and it makes shipfics as a whole controversial.

What do I know, though? I've never read or written fanfics in my life (maybe I'll get into them someday).

Edited by Frogging101

So, I've been playing Sonic Rush for the past few days. And I really wish the 'helper' characters would stop talking during boss battles. With Tails it's not so bad, but Cream....

"That's it!"

"That's it!

"That's it!"

"That's it!"

Shut.

Up.

• Thumbs Up 5

Speaking of which, I hate it when people consider the age difference between Sonic and Amy so freaking huge they can never get together, no matter what. It's a mere three year gap people. It's only a problem now because, well, a 15 and a 12 year old together does sound kind of odd, I will admit. But it's not this incredibly huge gap or anything of the sort, so why make a big deal out of it.

I hate when people bring up age differences because because most of the cast's mental maturity is so inaccurate anyway that their age is useless info beyond canon squabbling. Also, applying real-world statutory laws is dumb without any actual legal insight into the universe anyway, though I'd suppose interspecies breeding isn't looked down upon, ironically enough.

I'm a ShadAmy fan. Fight me IRL. Do you even lift?

• Thumbs Up 3

On the topic of shipping, anything with Blaze tends to be bad. It's unrealistic for her to get into a serious romantic relationship with her backstory, position and personality. Also, fans tend to use her (non canon) '06 backstory to justify Silvaze.

So, I've been playing Sonic Rush for the past few days. And I really wish the 'helper' characters would stop talking during boss battles. With Tails it's not so bad, but Cream....

"That's it!"

"That's it!

"That's it!"

"That's it!"

Shut.

Up.

Cream, shut up and help me kill this thing quicker. I mean, I do know it requires actually helping, and lord knows you're only here to give Blaze development...

I'm a ShadAmy fan. Fight me IRL. Do you even lift?

You just give me the time and place, 'Penthe. >=) And yes, I do lift.

Catfight of the century folks! :D

Edited by I R Lothar

Man I'm loath to defend shippers, but I'm sure there are ways to do this that'd make it work. Sonic doesn't need to be a total dick, first off; Amy's been chasing him for years and has made little to no progress, it makes sense that there are times when her resolve wavers. Combine that with Sonic reaching a breaking point (which does not make him a complete unlikable dick), and there's an opportunity for someone else to slide in. As for why Shadow, he is a lot like Sonic, so it's a short jump for her to transfer her feelings for Sonic onto Shadow (maybe not the healthiest way to go, but it's an interesting route for a story and it might be the foot in the door for a real relationship). And Amy did remind him of Maria, so it's not as if he detests her; if the two ever actually interacted I see no reason you couldn't build something from that.

I mean, I'm sure there's thousands of shitty ShadAmy fics for every one that even approaches reasonable, but you shouldn't hate the concept just because of how many people can't write for shit.

On the topic of shipping, anything with Blaze tends to be bad. It's unrealistic for her to get into a serious romantic relationship with her backstory, position and personality.

What, ever? She's got some issues, yeah, but most of her development has been in dealing with them, and an intimate relationship is a pretty good end goal for her. She finally finds someone she can open up to, completely and fully.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well OK, it's not impossible, but it would take quite a few years before she opens up enough to the point of having a romantic relationship. And this isn't even factoring in the fact that she'd still be even slightly suscpicious of others (what with being guardian of the Sol Emeralds) and that SEGA likes keeping characters static nowadays.

Well OK, it's not impossible, but it would take quite a few years before she opens up enough to the point of having a romantic relationship.

It's fiction, lifelong issues can be dealt with in a matter of days, as long as you can get the reader to believe it.

And this isn't even factoring in the fact that she'd still be even slightly suscpicious of others (what with being guardian of the Sol Emeralds)

That doesn't mean she's incapable of having a relationship with a particular person.

and that SEGA likes keeping characters static nowadays.

That doesn't really matter for fanfiction, and you can make a fair argument that they shouldn't keep the characters so static, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, you got me on all three. I guess I don't like shipfics because most DON'T make it believable.

I won't disagree on that point. I don't even read fanfiction because I don't want to have to wade through the hundreds of thousands of shitty fics for the few that are any good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, you got me on all three. I guess I don't like shipfics because most DON'T make it believable.

Hey, let's be fair now: Sturgeon's Law -- as defined on the Internet, anyway -- applies to everything.

When a fanfic is labelled as being based on one universe, but actually mixes and matches stuff,in other words more of an alternate universe or headcanon fanfic, which are fine in themselves, but it can really put me off if it wasn't what I settled down to read.

Blaze? in fanfiction.

don't read fanfiction with Blaze in it if you like the character at all, seriously.

I don't want to sound sexist but...

fangirls.

if you are a guy don't read fiction made by fangirls FOR fangirls, don't read them at all.

I can't help but feel that male writers have a slight tendency to respect more canon, respect the characters backstory, values, motivations, ambitions, goals and relationship dynamics. and have better grasp at writing at all.

or maybe it's all about demographics, shonen vs shoujo, you just don't read shoujo (young female demographic oriented) fanfiction expecting the characters to act like themselves at all, you know, it's just girls writing about romance, what appeals to girls, if everybody acted in-character at all you would have as much romance as there is in the source material, which is, not enough for them.

ever saw a fan-comic called "my friends next door?" yeah... 

Edited by Anti Alias

When a fanfic is labelled as being based on one universe, but actually mixes and matches stuff,in other words more of an alternate universe or headcanon fanfic, which are fine in themselves, but it can really put me off if it wasn't what I settled down to read.

Eek. I've never had the experience of reading such myself, but can imagine it can't be fun at all. Must be confusing at best and infuriating at worst.

While I like to compare/contrast canon a lot, I like to think I can at least keep them separate when necessary.

you know what, I am going to search for a Sonic/Tikal fanfic on fanfiction.com and see if the whole think can at least try to be in-character.

Blaze? in fanfiction.

don't read fanfiction with Blaze in it if you like the character at all, seriously.

I don't want to sound sexist but...

fangirls.

if you are a guy don't read fiction made by fangirls FOR fangirls, don't read them at all.

I can't help but feel that male writers have a slight tendency to respect more canon, respect the characters backstory, values, motivations, ambitions, goals and relationship dynamics. and have better grasp at writing at all.

or maybe it's all about demographics, shonen vs shoujo, you just don't read shoujo (young female demographic oriented) fanfiction expecting the characters to act like themselves at all, you know, it's just girls writing about romance, what appeals to girls, if everybody acted in-character at all you would have as much romance as there is in the source material, which is, not enough for them.

ever saw a fan-comic called "my friends next door?" yeah... 

Seems to be more of a 'pairing fanfic' problem  than a 'fangirl' problem, though partly depending on your definition of fangirl. I assume you don't mean 'fans that are girls', anyway.

Edited by Mysterics

No.

• Thumbs Up 7

Not really.

Guys are just as guilty of rewriting everything about a character the same way girls are. Where girls are generalized to be all into romance and relationships between characters, guys are likely to rewrite characters into these uber-powered gods capable of killing bad guys with a look and sneezing out the sun.

Kinda why guys tend to be influenced off of Dragonball Z, Naruto, and Bleach among other anime.

• Thumbs Up 2

okay, focusing only in relationship dynamics.

I believe DBZ-esque gary stus aren't as prone to ooc romance as the pairing fics.

hence why I feel guys tend to respect relationships dynamics more than girls tend to.

not saying that the overpowered gary-stus thing is good writing either, but it gets less in my nerves than badly written romance, I feel that badly written action is less excruciatingly bad than badly written romance any day, I get much less peeved in seeing a character acting ooc regarding action than I get when they act out of character in interaction.

but that's just me, I just feel that the most common character derailment deems from derailed relationship dynamics, and we all seem to get peeved by that by some extent.

I believe DBZ-esque gary stus aren't as prone to ooc romance as the pairing fics, hence why I feel guys tend to respect relationships dynamics more than girls tend to.

That or they just don't care for romance, so they never bother to put it in the first place unless it's somehow relevant to the plot, and even then it probably ends up being nothing more than a satellite character or something like that to praise the godliness of their stus.

I believe DBZ-esque gary stus aren't as prone to ooc romance as the pairing fics.

So you're saying that fanfics specifically about particular ships are more likely to have out-of-character ships than fics that aren't about ships at all.

And you decide that the reason for this is that girls aren't as good at writing as boys.

what the fuck, man

Eh, at this point, I'm just gonna say that fanfics that showcase out-of-character portrayals of canon characters in general bug me a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Catfight of the century folks! biggrin.png

Indeed. But we all know who the victor is going to be. ;)

No.

Mmm. I think I ought to start posting some fanfics here one day, just to prove this as truth.

hence why I feel guys tend to respect relationships dynamics more than girls tend to.

Because all it really happens to be is nothing but guys fighting, and talking about how awesome fighting is. Glorifying violence, in other words.

It is no better than romance fics, it just happens to be more of a preference by comparison.