Aero

Sonic-related pet peeves?

I don't mind fancharacters, even those that are hedgehogs or foxes, as long as they look and act original and don't have crappy recolour pictures or lame videos. Bludshot the hedgehog is a great example of the worst possible fancharacter in Sonic fandom. Gary Stu, emo, wants revenge, a tragic backstory and even has an alter ego who is EEEEVIL. Just look him up on YouTube.

Another peeve I might add is Porcupine fancharacters. From what I've gathered, Porcupines are vain attempts to make a character look like a Hedgehog without being one and the "Porcupine" label is slapped-on to make the character seem more original. 9 times out of 10, this is how Porcupines are used because very very few original alterations need to be made or are made. They overwhelmingly look identical to Hedgehog's but just with more quills.

You never see them as being more distinctive with Porcupine-esque noses which aren't like Hedgehog noses at all, resembling nostrils on a snout. Instead, all of the Porcupine FC's I've seen have extremely Sonic-like noses.

Thissss so much! Porcupines are rodents and have nothing to do with hedgehogs! At least give your character a buck tooth or something to show its a different species entirely! ><

Edited by Gabz Girl

My biggest entertainment peeve, not just games, is when people are unwilling to accept their position isn't the majority. It's great to have a minority opinion, but don't constantly claim that EVERYONE else is stupid. It's particuarly bad when dealing with beloved classics. Some idiot comes along and all of a sudden thinks his taste is superior to generations of gamers. That extends across all fanbases, though. Mostly young gamers that lack perspective and older gamers that are cynical.

In relation to Sonic specifically, I get annoyed by the canard that Sonic titles have been critically bashed since the Genesis era. It is true that lots of people dislike games in the Adventure era and beyond, but by any objective standard...only three major Sonic titles since Adventure were panned universally(Shadow, '06 and Black Knight),

Well recieved at the time of release: Adventure, Adventure 2, Advance 1-3, Rush and Adventure, Colors, Generations

Mixed reviews: Secret Rings, Unleashed, Heroes(mostly positive reviews, but polarizing among the fans), Sonic 4

Negative: '06 , Black Knight, Shadow

The series had two games fail critically in a ROW, and Unleashed and Secret Rings were middling. That's a few bad years. Nothing worse than other franchises have dealt with. Other than that...the series has done fine. The whole "Downfall of Sonic" was a media creation.

The plural for chao is chao not chaos. Yes I admit they did call a group of chao in one of the games chaos but it was a mistake.

Sonic's last name is not X. I don't care that he once called himself Sonic X on Fox kids channel, it was a mistake.

I don't remember posting in this topic before, so I'm gonna take a stab at it.

My biggest peeve, with this franchise, is when someone talks about Sonic's 06 character model and moan about how Sonic was six feet tall in that game.

I loathe that line of thought. I honestly die a little inside when ever I see it. Then I loose about ten minutes of my life digging through my files looking for old photos of Sonic standing next to Princess Elise just so I can write up a rebuttal in an futile attempt to eliminate anyone and everyone from ever making a similar error.

I swear, some people have no appreciation for the differences between proportions and height. I've seen fans and journalists make this mistake and it kills me every time.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Speaking of the Tornado, It'd be a stretch calling these peeves, more like nitpicks but...

- The first Tornado does not belong to and was not created by Tails. It belongs to Sonic and it's origins are unknown.

- It's a little silly how they flipped the Tornado's sprite in Sonic 3/Knuckles yet didn't flip the wording "SONIC" on it as well.

And I've said this a few times before but what peeves me about Classic Sonic in Generations is that his muteness was nothing more than pandering to the fanbase, those who hold warped interpretations and consider Classic's muteness to have always been an innate character trait rather than a result of technological limitations regarding cartridge memory.

Also on this tangent, it really annoys me when people say that Sonic worsened when he got a voice and could "suddenly" talk. Newsflash; He spoke in the classic era and speech has sensically always been something Sonic has had.

Also, I really, really despise 95% of Sonadow art/fics out there because so many of them portray Sonic as an uke and betray so many of his character traits as a headstrong and robust person. I also hate how these art and fics portray Shadow as some kind of sensual and dominant lover. Frankly, these two guys are more likely to make war instead of love.

To your typical anime fan, two characters fighting or arguing will inevitably lead to their tongues down each other's throats.

I'm pretty sure thanks to retro fanboys and Generations this will be looked down upon as a whiny nitpick rather than a pet peeve, but it still bothers me that they didn't even at least create new sprites or put in older sprites of the classic designs in either epsides of Sonic 4 as an option. I still refuse to believe that Sonic "aged" from his "younger" classic appearence to his older "modern" appearence in a short time. You've got the badniks and the visuals looking similar to the Genesis games, why not the characters themselves? Heck, I wouldn't had minded if classic Sonic's big appearence was in Sonic 4, rather than Sonic Generations. (It's not like they did much with classic Sonic there anyway. "Classic" physics still weren't classic (in either versions, regardless they were better or worse than Sonic 4), and the overall use of the classic incarnations of the characters was handled poorly overall). Would it have saved the game from what it eventually became? No, but it still would have been nice if they included as an option for the older fans and maintained some more consistency with the previous games.

Speaking of which, it also annoys me that changed the overall graphical artstyle in Sonic 4: Episode II. Honestly, everytime I saw someone complain about Episode I's graphics, they usually refer to the plastic-esque visuals and poorly proportioned/placed sprites of level design and background sprites seen in Splash Hill Zone. The visuals of the later zones looked a lot better in comparison. Not to mention that although it may have been because the zones were rehashes of the previous games, Episode I still maintained some consistency of the aesthetics and artstyle of the classic games. I didn't see anything resembling the classic aesthetics in Episode II, aside from Sky Fortress (and even then it was more similar to Heroes's than the classics). It just seemed like your average pretty graphics in your average downloadable game.

To your typical anime fan, two characters fighting or arguing will inevitably lead to their tongues down each other's throats.

More like every series ever.

Fighting is pretty much the standard mating ritual in this series...

Calling the anthrope characters in the games "Mobians". No, they are not Mobians.

Not once in game canon have these anthropomorphic sapient bipedal animal people been referred-to as "Mobians". The term doesn't even make sense when you consider that Mobius does not exist in the games. Sonic's kind have never been labelled with any specific indentifying name. Hell, it's never been revealed if they even have a name to start with!

On a related note, it's a little peeve of mine that they never use the word "Earth" in the actual games. It'd be WONDERFUL to shut up the mobius-obsessives but unfortunately every single game has always referred to it as "the world", "the planet" or "Sonic's world/planet".

On a related note, it's a little peeve of mine that they never use the word "Earth" in the actual games. It'd be WONDERFUL to shut up the mobius-obsessives but unfortunately every single game has always referred to it as "the world", "the planet" or "Sonic's world/planet".

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2 and Unleashed, but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2 and Unleashed, but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.

They do use the word Earth in older titles I'm sure, but in Colours Eggman refers to it as "Sonic's World". It not only sounds stupid but also implies that Eggman isn't from there, which most certainly is not the case.

Edited by Blue Blood

Calling the anthrope characters in the games "Mobians". No, they are not Mobians.

Not once in game canon have these anthropomorphic sapient bipedal animal people been referred-to as "Mobians". The term doesn't even make sense when you consider that Mobius does not exist in the games. Sonic's kind have never been labelled with any specific indentifying name. Hell, it's never been revealed if they even have a name to start with!

US Sonic CD manual

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2

but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.
Not unless they're being incredibly disingenuous. Edited by Diogenes

More like every series ever.

Eh, seems to have only been like that since Anime became a major powerhouse in Western Media.

On another note, one thing that definitely irks me is this "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sentiment you would hear to justify not changing anything. It's not about fixing anything that it is to improve it's experience. It's like refusing to use a car over a horse despite one being able take you places much faster. If anything, I'd say it's just a sense of neophobia.

And to complement that is this "if it's broken, throw it away" attitude that seems to come with anything that starts off bad and rather it be killed with fire than allow a second chance. Not that anyone generally says to throw something away if it's broken, but when you put these two together it's amazing how people don't choose a third option to bridge it by fixing things that's in need of repair, or in Blacklightning's/The Cheese words it's "addition by subtraction".

Another pet peeve is mine is when someone says that they like Classic Sonic over Modern Sonic (including myself), and they are jumped on and are called "Retro fanboys", "fanfags", etc.

I can't begin to tell you how much I agree with you. It's a damn shame really.