Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

To your typical anime fan, two characters fighting or arguing will inevitably lead to their tongues down each other's throats.

More like every series ever.

Fighting is pretty much the standard mating ritual in this series...

Calling the anthrope characters in the games "Mobians". No, they are not Mobians.

Not once in game canon have these anthropomorphic sapient bipedal animal people been referred-to as "Mobians". The term doesn't even make sense when you consider that Mobius does not exist in the games. Sonic's kind have never been labelled with any specific indentifying name. Hell, it's never been revealed if they even have a name to start with!

On a related note, it's a little peeve of mine that they never use the word "Earth" in the actual games. It'd be WONDERFUL to shut up the mobius-obsessives but unfortunately every single game has always referred to it as "the world", "the planet" or "Sonic's world/planet".

• Thumbs Up 1

On a related note, it's a little peeve of mine that they never use the word "Earth" in the actual games. It'd be WONDERFUL to shut up the mobius-obsessives but unfortunately every single game has always referred to it as "the world", "the planet" or "Sonic's world/planet".

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2 and Unleashed, but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2 and Unleashed, but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.

They do use the word Earth in older titles I'm sure, but in Colours Eggman refers to it as "Sonic's World". It not only sounds stupid but also implies that Eggman isn't from there, which most certainly is not the case.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Calling the anthrope characters in the games "Mobians". No, they are not Mobians.

Not once in game canon have these anthropomorphic sapient bipedal animal people been referred-to as "Mobians". The term doesn't even make sense when you consider that Mobius does not exist in the games. Sonic's kind have never been labelled with any specific indentifying name. Hell, it's never been revealed if they even have a name to start with!

US Sonic CD manual

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I recall them saying Earth in SA2

but one could argue that they meant element-wise rather than being the planet's actual name.
Not unless they're being incredibly disingenuous. Edited by Diogenes

Eh, seems to have only been like that since Anime became a major powerhouse in Western Media.

On another note, one thing that definitely irks me is this "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" sentiment you would hear to justify not changing anything. It's not about fixing anything that it is to improve it's experience. It's like refusing to use a car over a horse despite one being able take you places much faster. If anything, I'd say it's just a sense of neophobia.

And to complement that is this "if it's broken, throw it away" attitude that seems to come with anything that starts off bad and rather it be killed with fire than allow a second chance. Not that anyone generally says to throw something away if it's broken, but when you put these two together it's amazing how people don't choose a third option to bridge it by fixing things that's in need of repair, or in Blacklightning's/The Cheese words it's "addition by subtraction".

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's something that's bothered me about Sonic X. If Gerald and Maria were born on earth, and they are Eggman's relatives, then how the hell did Eggman end up on Sonic's planet?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's something that's bothered me about Sonic X. If Gerald and Maria were born on earth, and they are Eggman's relatives, then how the hell did Eggman end up on Sonic's planet?!

Chaos Control, perhaps?

Eh, seems to have only been like that since Anime became a major powerhouse in Western Media..

Another pet peeve is mine is when someone says that they like Classic Sonic over Modern Sonic (myself included), and they are jumped on and are called "Retro fanboys", "fanfags", etc.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 7

The same can be said when people who likes Modern Sonic over Classic Sonic and they call you a 'modernfag' and you're either a child or a new fan that don't know any better, etc.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 8

I can't begin to tell you how much I agree with you. It's a damn shame really.

I think it's mainly because most people immediately think of AKR and Nicochi when people say they prefer the classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a Sonic TEAM pet peeve (them not releasing the PS2 remake of NiGHTS here in the USA) that was finally resolved today thanks to the NiGHTS into Dreams... announcement. Not sure if that counts...

Another pet peeve of mine is when some people say "you're just playing it wrong" or "Those glitches never happened to me" when they try to defend Sonic '06 (yes, it happens, especially in the comment section for the BlazeHedgehog video 'Sonic 06 is a bad game and here's why' on YouTube

• Thumbs Up 3

I remember how shit Shadow fans used to be treated.

You and I will never live down that "Sick of Shadow fans" topic back on the old SSMB. :lol:

A recent pet peeve....Furville. Just the name of that city in the Archie comic book. Not only is it a lazy as hell name for a city, at least 10 times worse than -say- MegaKat City or some shit, but it's also uncomfortably un PC for the Sonic crowd. I wish it had been retconned to be something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

A recent pet peeve....Furville. Just the name of that city in the Archie comic book. Not only is it a lazy as hell name for a city, at least 10 times worse than -say- MegaKat City or some shit, but it's also uncomfortably un PC for the Sonic crowd. I wish it had been retconned to be something else.

Am I missing some innuendo? What's wrong with Furville? I mean it's a dumb name but unpolitically correct?

Theres no innuendo and perhaps PC isn't the correct term. but its like oh this city is filled with animal people so call it furville. Furries have a bad wrap so then the name alone links my mind with the dark side of the Sonic fandom.

You and I will never live down that "Sick of Shadow fans" topic back on the old SSMB. laugh.png

I will harbor seething, burning resentment for that topic, its creator, and the people who agreed with it forever. That's totally not unreasonable, right?

And I like furries. They're hilarious and good dancers.

That's what I was implying, or at least tried to anyway. Of course there are also the fans who will interpret two characters not fighting as the same, so hat you're left with is everyone boning everyone.