Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

People have argued that about the Wisps? In what vain? Liek... I'm confused. They're just power-ups.

People have argued that about the Wisps? In what vain? Liek... I'm confused. They're just power-ups.

Let's just say that I've seen some really silly things said about the recent news about the Wisps being reoccurrers now. Not here, though, thankfully.

I think it has something to do with the Wisp's potential to replace alternate characters, because with power ups like those, Sonic can basically do anything that the other characters could, rendering gameplay styles like Tails' flying (Green Hover) or Knuckles' gliding (Red EAAAAAGLE!) redundant.

Edited by Briraka

The Wisps are kind of limited in that regard though. I mean, Rocker/Hover/etc. can do what Tails can do...but only for a few seconds or so, and you'll either not be able to try again or you'll have to go back to break another capsule (if they respawn, iirc it varies from capsule to capsule in Colours?).

Granted you could argue Sonic Team see the Wisps as valid "replacements", but I...don't believe that. Maybe I'm just too optimistic about them, though.

I think it has something to do with the Wisp's potential to replace alternate characters, because with power ups like those, Sonic can basically do anything that the other characters could, rendering gameplay styles like Tails' flying (Green Hover) or Knuckles' gliding (Red EAAAAAGLE!) redundant.

Well unless Sonic is also capable of doing those feats in tandem with other abilities, such as being able to glide around, cling on a wall, and dig at that same spot, all the Wisps are doing is being separate watered down replications of the other characters. Sonic can only use one wisp at a time as it currently stands, so he can't fully do everything characters like Knuckles can do at once.

The Wisps are kind of limited in that regard though. I mean, Rocker/Hover/etc. can do what Tails can do...but only for a few seconds or so, and you'll either not be able to try again or you'll have to go back to break another capsule (if they respawn, iirc it varies from capsule to capsule in Colours?).

Granted you could argue Sonic Team see the Wisps as valid "replacements", but I...don't believe that. Maybe I'm just too optimistic about them, though.

To be fair, you could only fly with Tails for a few seconds as well, and unlike Tails, the Hover wisp can last a freakishly long time if you're in a level with lots of ring chains, so it could easily replace Tails.  They could always give Tails something to compensate for that, though I'm not sure exactly what that would be.

With that said, I don't have a problem with the Wisps in and of themselves.  I just see them as neat little powerups that enhance the gameplay.  So far, I'm pretty fond of the fact that they've only had one plot-centric appearance.  I guess I can see why others might not like the fact that they may be required to achieve certain feats in the games, but it doesn't really bother me.

I'm surprised to see so many people dislike the Tails flying stages from Unleashed. I honestly never had a probem with them and complete them easily enough. I know I've been playing games for years and have quick reflexes, but it was still not that hard. I do agree they should have been like they were in Sonic Adventure 1, since QTE's seem to be a thing companies are overusing at the moment in the industry and people tend to dislike them. I never really had a problem with them if they are done correctly, but just putting them in there to reduce the amount of control for the player so the thing can focus more on looks isn't a good thing.

Likes fun? Is the word 'fun' even in this guy's vocabulary?

Stops injustices whenever he sees them?.....When? He may not see eye to eye with Warden Zobotnik but he doesn't lift a finger to prevent the warden's abuse of power and prisoners.

Goes by his own ideals and 'rules'? Zonic follows universal rules to the letter and exhibits no instances of rebelling against them.

Why the hell would any Sonic sit back and watch as his version of Robotnik asserts his 'authority'? That's not what a Sonic does.

If the excuse for Zonic's sheer deviation from Sonic's mannerisms is because he's an alternate version then I question why he specifically was made into an alternate Sonic to begin with.

A bit of a late reply I know but I feel the need to comment nonetheless.

Each dimension has its own little quirks. The No Zone's inhabitants are interested in keeping order and balance between the Zones, and so they've organised themselves into a large cosmic bureaucracy. Whereas Sonic Prime views his tasks as leisure with a touch of seriousness, Zonic is bred and disciplined like a soldier; there's no time for funny business.

And Zonic does in fact break the rules, as well. He drags people across Zones if it serves the greater good... despite a general rule that Zones should be allowed to succeed or fail on their own merits. So while he may be more Lawful Good to Sonic's Chaotic Good, he's still fully capable of rebelling against the rules if a greater purpose demands it. This greater good mentality also seems to be shared by the Zone Cop bureaucracy; they refuse to arrest Eggman on the basis that Sonic Prime needs one to fight.

As for fighting the Warden... well, it comes down to the fact that while Sonic fights for what is right because it's in his heart, Zonic fights for what is right primarily because it's in the job description; he views things more logically and in the bigger picture. Any struggle he puts up against Zobotnik detracts from fighting far worse criminals. There's an infinite pool of criminals to deal with across Zones and a finite number of Zone Cops... Zonic being the logical soul he is, he makes the rational choice and focuses on the greatest evils. I think that's probably also why he likes to drag in the Prime Zone residents (and probably more for all we know); it allows him to make better use of his limited resources.

As for not making him into another character... the whole point of alternate realities is that the versions of you there are not the same as you. There must be Sonics who are opposed to Sonic in every factor except looking like him, logically.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised to see so many people dislike the Tails flying stages from Unleashed. I honestly never had a probem with them and complete them easily enough. I know I've been playing games for years and have quick reflexes, but it was still not that hard. I do agree they should have been like they were in Sonic Adventure 1, since QTE's seem to be a thing companies are overusing at the moment in the industry and people tend to dislike them. I never really had a problem with them if they are done correctly, but just putting them in there to reduce the amount of control for the player so the thing can focus more on looks isn't a good thing.

I don't think the Tornado Defense acts are disliked because of the difficulty alone. I think it's for the fact that it relies only and only on QTE. You don't have control in the minigame at all. I may not talk for everyone when I say this, though, so don't take it as granted.

A missed opportunity. Something built like the Tornado stages in SA would have been welcome, at least to me.

I don't think the Tornado Defense acts are disliked because of the difficulty alone. I think it's for the fact that it relies only and only on QTE. You don't have control in the minigame at all. I may not talk for everyone when I say this, though, so don't take it as granted.

A missed opportunity. Something built like the Tornado stages in SA would have been welcome, at least to me.

I sort of cheated on the tornado levels in unleashed. Whenever the button icon would show up, I would pause the game, look at the button icon then start and press the correct buttontongue.png . I know thats bad, but no one said I was a sonic expert.

• Thumbs Up 1

I sort of cheated on the tornado levels in unleashed. Whenever the button icon would show up, I would pause the game, look at the button icon then start and press the correct buttontongue.png . I know thats bad, but no one said I was a sonic expert.

...You could do that? That would have saved me a heapload of pain to know this sooner DX D:< !

• Thumbs Up 3

Believe me, I 100% agree that it should have been like SA1's tornado stages. They are much more fun than the one's in sonic unleashed. I still enjoy the unleashed versions of course. The stages would have to be on rails though either way, since if it was free roam, you would now have stages that are very similiar to star fox's stages. It would be alot more interesting though to be able to fight the death egg or the egg carrier in star fox free range mode style.

I also did it for the final werehog levelbiggrin.png  (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!)

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog

I sort of cheated on the tornado levels in unleashed. Whenever the button icon would show up, I would pause the game, look at the button icon then start and press the correct button . I know thats bad, but no one said I was a sonic expert.

Uhh... wouldn't that take you, like, forever? tongue.png

I'm sure it would take forever. That thought never occured to me, though it has to many people in other games that have button combos you need to press in real quick like that. Some developers are smart though and will cover them up or blank the screen out and such like that to prevent it. The stage just depends on your button memorization. Someone like me that has been playing and also typing for years, knows where the buttons are by instinct, so its natural to me to know where the buttons are most of the time even without having to think about it.

Uhh... wouldn't that take you, like, forever? tongue.png

Nah, not if you do it fast. The idea is that in trouble spots you give yourself a little more time to get the right button combos. You kind of have to be in a rhythm with the Tornado levels in unleashed in order to press the right buttons at the right time. My very unorthodox technique should only be used when your rhythm breaks or you need a moment to regroup. 

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog

I'm reminded of how Eggmanland had more than its fair share of "press this or die" moments... that one area in quick succession no less.

A good pet peeve, that stage's intense difficulty was... but then again, it was also a guilty pleasure given it was an actual (eighty minute long) challenge. Can't say the same about most Sonic levels these days.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

The sled like area was always one of the places, even when i was going through the stage constantly to try and earn the hotdog for completing well, that I would still die every now and then. The timing on that section was always tricky to get used to. I'm just glad there are some glitched secrets as well in the level that allows you to skip some areas as well.

Then, with the shape of and the placement of EggmanLand, you could say it is the UK, which is cool as I could say I live in EggmanLand.

"EGG FIGHTER UNIT PS3/X008 WILL CRUSH YOUR *BZZKT* UPPERMOST ANATOMICAL FEATURE IN, I SWEAR ON ME CREATOR."

• Thumbs Up 7

Normal Sonic has five fingers, but darkspines has four.

Oh god, sonic chopped one off

Hmm? Pretty sure he has all five, dude.

How people insist that the comics are cannon and use it as "fact".

This is probably due to the fact SEGA refuses to really give us any juicy backstory, whereas the comics have plenty. SEGA leaves a bunch of holes so some folks use the comics to fill them...

The important thing is that those who do so remember it's technically headcanon and not canon.

Overall illustrates SEGA really should publish an encyclopedia that details the unexplored parts of the world.

Then, with the shape of and the placement of EggmanLand, you could say it is the UK, which is cool as I could say I live in EggmanLand.

Would make sense, the UK being the one country that prefers Sonic over the other guy.