Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

You know, I like the Darkspine form a lot, but seeing Sonic not wearing gloves is just wrong for some reason. XP

On a similar note, I used to be bothered a lot by the "no toes" thing that Sonic anthros have going on, but once I was older I got over it. I can't even remember why it bothered me, it just did!

It's just kind of senseless. I know Sonic characters aren't shining examples of biology, but considering the most glorified mode of transportation in this series is running, which toes of any kind help facilitate with some manner of efficiency, it doesn't make any sense from an artistic design standpoint. They don't have to be human toes either: stylized animal toes or just two lines on their existing flippers would suffice.

This is one of the few times I generally say "To hell with canon." I draw toes on my Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

When it comes to if archie is cannon or not, it really does depend on what you mean by canon aas well. At least how I put it is that each is its own canon to itself in a way. The achie canon and the game canon. They merge a bit, but each one is its own thing. While the games may be a bit more official than the comics, it doesn't really deminish the comics in my eyes at all. They exist for a reason. They aren't just a nonsense fanfic you find online. There has to be some canon in there especially if its sponsored by sega itself. You just have to make sure you understand there are different canons out there, such as games, comic, and shows.

It's just kind of senseless. I know Sonic characters aren't shining examples of biology, but considering the most glorified mode of transportation in this series is running, which toes of any kind help facilitate with some manner of efficiency, it doesn't make any sense from an artistic design standpoint. They don't have to be human toes either: stylized animal toes or just two lines on their existing flippers would suffice.

This is one of the few times I generally say "To hell with canon." I draw toes on my Sonic characters.

Big_the_Cat_Channel.gif

The characters are at least drawn with one toe-like shape these days.

Frankly, I think that the 'flipper feet' look best. Anything else, be it human toes it something more akin to paws, doesn't look right.

If that's now standard instead of just BIg's case, one toe-like shape doesn't really console me, nor do I think toeless flippers are appealing either aesthetically or sensibly. xP

Maybe they have bone structure in their feet that just aren't defined as digits?

/Overthinking things.

To be fair Verte, you can see toe bones in Knuckles when Eggman electrocutes him in S3&K...

To be fair Verte, you can see toe bones in Knuckles when Eggman electrocutes him in S3&K...

SCD_electrocuted.png  fmern.png

Hmm... BTW the first sprite was scrapped in CD.

I suppose you could argue it varies a bit from species to species.

The Overthinking-Things-for-Fun Stadium

Yeah, I prefer toes on my Sonic characters (or damn near any kind of character), I don't care if they're human or animal looking toes. Those flippers are just a no-go with me.

• Thumbs Up 2

With the toes, it honestly at times seem more like whaat is your personal preferce. I'm pretty sure I've seen both ways before in Sega stuff before. If I'm mistaken, alrighty, but if not, I doubt it really matters. People will draw the feet how they think they look best.

I wouldn't describe them as flippers. They make me think of Felix the Cat's style a lot more:

200px-Felix_the_cat.svg.png

• Thumbs Up 6

SCD_electrocuted.png  

Shows Sonic isn't a cyclops too.

As for the toes, I just like to think that their feet are fluffy and you can't see the toes...like a fluffy rabbit foot. You can barely see the toes in some rabbit feet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha I just remembered that back in the day I used to think that when Sonic transformed into Darkspine his shoes and gloves turned blueish/purple like his arms did. It wasn't till later that I started hearing that he wasn't wearing gloves and shoes.

(I still like to think they just turned into a different color though, at least his shoes did.)

As for the toes, I just like to think that their feet are fluffy and you can't see the toes...like a fluffy rabbit foot. You can barely see the toes in some rabbit feet.

exactly, I believe their "feets" are just this:

cat-paw-2.jpg

paws.

I'm reminded of another. When it's said that the peach parts of Sonic are "skin." Eww, no, just no, that's freaking weird. They will always be fur in my view; how many furries do you know running around with random parts of their body shaved?

Excuse my stupidity, but by the other guy do you mean Robotnik or Mario? I haven't really met any other british Sonic fans.

Mario. The UK is the only country in the world to vote Sonic over Mario, by a margin of 3%.

Aye, me too. If nothing else because I like the look of claws.

This idea has loads of merit.

Fur being essentially clothing if thick enough... it more or less explains why you can't see a lot of stuff. Muscle definition, their non-PG parts, toes, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

how many furries do you know running around with random parts of their body shaved?

It depends on the style. The closer they look human, the less fur they might have, and even then there is lots of room for variety, like Felicia of DarkStalkers or the Thundercats and so forth.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I'm reminded of another. When it's said that the peach parts of Sonic are "skin." Eww, no, just no, that's freaking weird. They will always be fur in my view; how many furries do you know running around with random parts of their body shaved?

But the peach parts are always textured as skin on renders. '06's prototype models aren't relevant because they were never accepted.

Werehog and Darkspine grow fur on their arms and in Darkspine's case, hands as well.

It depends on the style. The closer they look human, the less fur they might have, and even then there is lots of room for variety, like Felicia of DarkStalkers or the Thundercats and so forth.

A fair point; as the Sonic cast aren't close to human, though, it's just a very weird move on the design team's part.

But the peach parts are always textured as skin on renders. '06's prototype models aren't relevant because they were never accepted.

Werehog and Darkspine grow fur on their arms and in Darkspine's case, hands as well.

True enough, but it still annoys me that it's skin at all. That's just weird. Why does Sonic shave his arms and chest/stomach when no one else does? Why do some characters have shaven muzzles while others don't?

...Is Sonic just being a rebel and shaving his parts because he can or something? Hashtag YOLO?

Then again SEGA approves the anthropomorphic vomit that sometimes shows up as Archie's artwork so I don't trust their aesthetic instincts entirely.

True enough, but it still annoys me that it's skin at all. That's just weird. Why does Sonic shave his arms and chest/stomach when no one else does? Why do some characters have shaven muzzles while others don't?

...Is Sonic just being a rebel and shaving his parts because he can or something? Hashtag YOLO?

Well, Sonic has a bare belly as well, a trait not shared with any other Game Hedgehog. Amy included. Maybe it's just the way his markings are?

...I now have a weird thought that Amy shaves her arms to take-after her beloved blink.png

So long as we're talking about the skin and fur, I really don't like the way that it's rendered on the characters at all. It doesn't look remotely like fur, instead it's more like elephant skin. I don't think there's anyway to render it nicely, and it shouldn't be bothered with either. Those little details are detrimental to the large-featured designs with bold colours. Classic Sonic and Classic Tails in Generations looked way nicer in their renders than their modern counterparts as a result of this (though their gloves didn't need to be textured).

wus1.png

That's just weird. Why does Sonic shave his arms and chest/stomach when no one else does? Why do some characters have shaven muzzles while others don't?

I don't even know where to start with this.

A fair point; as the Sonic cast aren't close to human, though, it's just a very weird move on the design team's part.

Then again SEGA approves the anthropomorphic vomit that sometimes shows up as Archie's artwork so I don't trust their aesthetic instincts entirely.

I actually like that it's shaved. It'd be odd to me if that was fur mixed with his blue fur, and I sure as heck wouldn't want Sonic to be all Blue.It's just what makes his character design look so sleek.

Well, Sonic has a bare belly as well, a trait not shared with any other Game Hedgehog. Amy included. Maybe it's just the way his markings are?

...I now have a weird thought that Amy shaves her arms to take-after her beloved blink.png

I just find that incredibly odd is all; the "cartoon talking hedgehog" excuse aside, I generally don't see animals with such large patches of skin unless it's their paws, lips or stomach (bear in mind this is to allow easy access for young to my knowledge, and Sonic not being female ... (I think)), and even those aren't completely shaven. Ergo I'd be inclined to think he must shave those parts for whatever reason... maybe he really does subscribe to #YOLO after all.

As for Amy: what have I unleashed?

I actually like that it's shaved. It'd be odd to me if that was fur mixed with his blue fur, and I sure as heck wouldn't want Sonic to be all Blue.It's just what makes his character design look so sleek.

What about peach fur? Effectively there'd be no difference unless you look at the renders, and it's still a small issue.

So long as we're talking about the skin and fur, I really don't like the way that it's rendered on the characters at all. It doesn't look remotely like fur, instead it's more like elephant skin. I don't think there's anyway to render it nicely, and it shouldn't be bothered with either. Those little details are detrimental to the large-featured designs with bold colours. Classic Sonic and Classic Tails in Generations looked way nicer in their renders than their modern counterparts as a result of this (though their gloves didn't need to be textured).

Yeah, if they're gonna do fur they should do it Unleashed style where it actually looks like you could run your fingers through it.

But then it'd be a weird contrast between the CGI parts and actual gameplay, so it might be best to ditch the whole idea entirely and just keep Sonic the rubbery consistency he is now.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

What about peach fur? Effectively there'd be no difference unless you look at the renders, and it's still a small issue.

True, it would probably look the same if they just said it was Peach fur, but it would still feel odd to me if they revealed it was fur. Sonic's called the Blue Blur, for his Blue hue, but having Peach fur doesn't mix well with that, IMO.