Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I suppose it's meant to be several small spines clumped together. But they'd better not start texturizing that properly, or else we get fan-movie-Sonic ;-).

Or you end up with the '06 concept model:

2128817-ozkurt_sonic.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood

Sonic does appear to be able to stiffen his quills though. It's evident in some games;

Whether shocked...

dnbmyv.png

tumblr_mq3jnmeAUW1s9pusko1_500.png

Or excited...

2j2j3mv.png

People who whine about every Sonic game that comes out, before it even comes out, and call themselves fans.

Also.... Shadow is not a machine (outside Sonic Heroes), and yes, he is the real deal. It's been 8 years since that has been clarified, I don't understand how some people can still get it wrong.

Do actual hedgehogs stiffen their quills when they're agitated/surprised? (I'm a sucker for cartoon animals having more animal-like mannerisms at times, usually to signify emotional responses. XP)

Anyhow, pet peeve: I know it's probably silly to complain about, but I always felt like Jet's defeat of Sonic in the opening of Riders seemed a bit silly and...contrived, I guess you could say? I guess it's simple cutscene incompetence, but yeah.

Also.... Shadow is not a machine (outside Sonic Heroes), and yes, he is the real deal. It's been 8 years since that has been clarified, I don't understand how some people can still get it wrong.

Well, to be honest, it wasn't exactly THAT well explained. It all depends in what you believe to be canon, some people might not count Shadow (the game) because of how convoluted it is.

Edited by DocAzure

06 concept model is still miles better than fan-movie Sonic.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire
  • Thumbs Up 4

06 concept model is still miles better than fan-movie Sonic.

Both are still awful.

I just remembered! The folks who say that Sonic characters look nothing like the animal they are. While this is true with some, I'm seeing plenty of traits borrowed from hedgehogs, foxes, etc. in Sonic, Tails and the rest. It's called cartoon style, which means you're not going for a perfect copy. It's like caricatures, really: you pick out the most distinctive traits and focus on those.

Well, according to that sprite, the spines are at least not part of his skull...

Thank God for that.

Sonic's spines are either hair several small spines clumped together into a 7 large spikes (which would mean his entire body is covered in small spines, flesh and fur on top of bone/cartilage or just... nothing really to think about. I kind of doubt Sonic has any real considered or canon anatomical structure. You can't make sense of it.

Ultimately yes that's what I presumed. They're a bunch of individual spikes that are lumped into smaller parts. I don't think this is in-canon, so much as a simple design choice; were we in Sonic's world he probably would have a full set of spines, but as it stands he's a cartoon hedgehog and so we get a stylised way of saying he has a ton of spikes.

Huh, so that's what they meant by having him be more furry.

In retrospect it's weird they made Eggman realistic but didn't do the same for anyone else. It just seemed... very strange. But I guess Eggman gets an excuse because he's human and they got the most detail.

Huh, so that's what they meant by having him be more furry.

In retrospect it's weird they made Eggman realistic but didn't do the same for anyone else. It just seemed... very strange. But I guess Eggman gets an excuse because he's human and they got the most detail.

You can't make humanoid, cyclops animals with insane body proportions more realistic without changing them beyond recognition and/or purpose. However, you can do that a bit better with simple humans.

I never had any problems with Shadow the Hedgehog, but now that I think of it, I can get past everything wrong the game has, but there's one single thing that will never stop annoying me...

So, Shadow died in SA2 and appeared in Heroes, which hinted that Shadow might or might not be an android based on the real Shadow, which would also work with what Shadow said in SA2 ''Even if these memories are not mine, they're all I have.'', specially after he gets his memory back. All the endings on the game hint at one thing... As far as we know, Shadow could be any of the things the fake endings pointed out. An Alien who probably took form of Shadow, a Robot, the real Shadow the Hedgehog, no way of being sure... Then... The final Ending came around... Now, I have nothing against Black Doom actually explaining how Project Shadow went from a giant dying lizard to a hedgehog, the alien blood actually helps to explain this weird evolution. I would be happy if they left things like this, you wouldn't know if Shadow is the real deal, but it wouldn't matter because now he will put his past behind him and go on with living his life. And we would have a little bit more of explanations on some stuff SA2 never explained, like why the Eclipse Cannon was made, or how they went from Biolizard to Shadow... But... BUT... 

"Shadow... can you hear me...? This might be the last chance I have to speak to you, so... What I said, about having created you... it was all a lie. Everyone thought you died during that horrible incident... but I rescued you, with one of my robots... You lost your memories, that's all... You really ARE the Ultimate Life Form my grandfather created!"

... Ok, so they decided to say ''nope, Shadow's totally the real one, AHAHA YOU TOTALLY FELL FOR IT''... Ok... So... All that build up, all those hints, all those endings trying to prove he could be anything... So that just a single line would ruin what TWO games were building up to, not only that, but, I'd be also ok if at the end they decided to do that, BUT it leaves me wondering... One: If they planned that from the start... WHY HINT SO MUCH AT THE FUCKING ALTERNATE POSSIBILITIES?! WHY LEAVE SUCH AN OPEN ENDING SINCE YOU RUINED ANY CHANCE OF WILD MASS GUESSING AT WHAT SHADOW IS? And two: Ok, so you had this idea planned from the start and you wanted Shadow to be the real deal... THEN WHY DID YOU LEFT ONLY ONE LINE EXPLAINING THAT? NO CUTSCENES, NO PLOT TWISTS, ONE SINGLE LINE AT THE END OF THE FINAL BOSS THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL NEVER HEAR BECAUSE YOU NEED TO WAIT A SHITLOAD OF TIME TO GET IT!

I can see everyone on Sonic Team had no idea of what to do with Shadow at the end of this game, no fucking idea.

Edited by Ratcicle King
  • Thumbs Up 5

I just thought of something else that annoys me; non-hedgehog fan characters having hedgehog-styled quils. Seriously, it's nice to be creative and all that, but come on people, there's no need to put quils on a freaking wolf.

I just thought of something else that annoys me; non-hedgehog fan characters having hedgehog-styled quils. Seriously, it's nice to be creative and all that, but come on people, there's no need to put quils on a freaking wolf.

Well that's definately a new one. I've seen the quills on hybrids before, that's for sure, but on a sonic style wolf? That is definately a new one that I've not heard before. That style definately should stick to being only on the hedgehog's/hedgehog hybrid characters.

Ha!  Reminds me of when one of my friends gave all my Chao phoenix wings >>

But yeah, those usually come out looking pretty bad, but it doesn't annoy me enough to call it a pet peeve.

I honestly think that that model is better than the one we got, but not the fluffy chest bit though.

I honestly think that that model is better than the one we got, but not the fluffy chest bit though.

That's the exact same model as used in the CG cutscenes, except with a stronger fur effect than used in the final. I don't know how well it relates to the in game model though.

I've heard people say about Rouge living the rest of her life out without seeing Shadow or Omega. When does this arise? I skip the cutscenes in '06 so I never saw this.

So they never discovered this extra emerald despite the fact over the course of the series they've used emerald-detecting devices on numerous occasions?

And when Eggman found out that Elise had a chaos emerald that she always wore it never occured to him how she could have had it at the same time that he did at multiple occasions for her entire life?

And of course the fact that it's a giant time paradox because even if we assume Elise DID have a second emerald the entire time, she gets it from Silver who gets it from her who gets it from Silver who gets it from... yeah... so where did it come from?

Elise gave it to Sonic, who gave it to Eggman, who put it in the Egg Mega Drive (I'm making a joke there) and that machine was destroyed by silver, who gave it to younger Elise, who kept it and gave it to Sonic, and it goes on and on. But it makes no sense as there is no point where it could be introduced into the cycle.

Edit: Just saw someone else more or less say the same thing. Derp tongue.png

I've even seen an incredibly creative Jellyfish FC that still correlates well with the general official Sonic style. It was awesome.

I suppose you mean this one?

I merged all of your posts into one, Matthew. In general, we don't allow posters to make multiple posts in a row. If you want to respond to several people after posting, simply edit your existing post with the quote you want to respond to. Or you can do the really awesome thing and hit the Multiquote button for every post you want to respond to. It doesn't refresh over pages, so you can go through an entire topic, quote various peoples, and then respond to them in one post. :3

Sorry, I'm still new to the forum and haven't worked everything out yet :3

Edited by MatthewMotoBug

I merged all of your posts into one, Matthew. In general, we don't allow posters to make multiple posts in a row. If you want to respond to several people after posting, simply edit your existing post with the quote you want to respond to. Or you can do the really awesome thing and hit the Multiquote button for every post you want to respond to. It doesn't refresh over pages, so you can go through an entire topic, quote various peoples, and then respond to them in one post. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well, two more, sort of...

The super peel-out in Sonic Lost World looks off, because Sonic doesn't move nearly as fast as the movement of his legs suggests.

Why was Sky Sanctuary in Sonic Generations but not the Mecha Sonic boss fight? :|

Come to think of it, why was Classic Amy not included? Metal Sonic was there, why not her?

Edited by Kat

Oh well, two more, sort of...

The super peel-out in Sonic Lost World looks off, because Sonic doesn't move nearly as fast as the movement of his legs suggests.

Why was Sky Sanctuary in Sonic Generations but not the Mecha Sonic boss fight? :|

Come to think of it, why was Classic Amy not included? Metal Sonic was there, why not her?

Time restraints? We all know that there are cut story elements, and big was going to be in it, (though he might have been removed since he was retired from the franchise) so they might have planned having Classic Knuckles and Amy, but couldn't as they had to have it done by November 1st (I think, It came out on the 4th where I live). I don't think they'd have added Mecha Sonic, as it was early in the game, and some people might get stuck and give up there, or because it slows the pace, making you stop (though it'd be cool) and they couldn't be bothered making an enemy with multiple hits.

Time restraints? We all know that there are cut story elements, [...]

Well, actually I've never bothered to inform myself about the circumstances of Generations' relase and bought the game without really knowing what to expect. So, this is just a reflection of my thoughs when I realized they chose Sky Sanctuary to represent S3&K, but left out the things that made the zone memorable and dramatic back in the day (imo) - namely Knuckles' help, Mecha Sonic and the chase after the space craft. Gameplaywise I never found that stage particularly engaging. I understand if they had to leave certain things out, but still... =).

And I would've loved to see Classic Amy in 3D!

Time restraints? We all know that there are cut story elements, and big was going to be in it, (though he might have been removed since he was retired from the franchise) so they might have planned having Classic Knuckles and Amy, but couldn't as they had to have it done by November 1st (I think, It came out on the 4th where I live). I don't think they'd have added Mecha Sonic, as it was early in the game, and some people might get stuck and give up there, or because it slows the pace, making you stop (though it'd be cool) and they couldn't be bothered making an enemy with multiple hits.
You mind linking to all that information to prove all that? Because it sounds more like fans were jumping the gun again over what they expected rather than what the developers intended.

You mind linking to all that information to prove all that? Because it sounds more like fans were jumping the gun again over what they expected rather than what the developers intended.

I remember SomeCallMeJohhny said the game "Seemed unfinished" or something like that, and Big's new voice actor's name is in the credits when he doesn't even appear. The bit about mecha sonic is just an assumption though, because there are no other multi-hit enemies in the game, so why do it for just one at the end of one level?

And I said they might have added them, though they probably didn't plan them to be in it.

Maybe it's just me, but it get's really annoying when people insist that the universe from the comics and the game universe are somehow the same, and don't even get me started on when people ABSOLUTELY insist that somehow transferring the comic characters into the game universe is not only somehow viable, but that it should be done to REPLACE the game characters that the people hate. Even worse if they claim that Sonic's Shitty Friends only apply to the game characters, and overexaggerate how amazing their comic characters are.

I don't have any disdain towards the actual comic continuity, but this kind of attitude does get grating after a while.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe it's just me, but it get's really annoying when people insist that the universe from the comics and the game universe are somehow the same, and don't even get me started on when people ABSOLUTELY insist that somehow transferring the comic characters into the game universe is not only somehow viable, but that it should be done to REPLACE the game characters that the people hate. Even worse if they claim that Sonic's Shitty Friends only apply to the game characters, and overexaggerate how amazing their comic characters are.

I don't have any disdain towards the actual comic continuity, but this kind of attitude does get grating after a while.

I agree, as a fan of both continuites, it would do best to have them remain seperate entities, as not to muck shit up for everyone. Adding cahracters like Sally or Antione wouldnt add anything and just be there for the sake of being there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus, it's not like the game journalists/critics will give them any better treatment than the "shitty friends" either.