Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

Oh... and you die. And then get kissed by a human.

But don't worry, none of it really happened!

Yeah, I'd hate a birthday like that.

Sonic 06 is the one the reasons why I like Solo Sonic games. Its my first game and I love Sonic but i didnt see enough of him AND HIS NAME WAS ON THE FUCKING TITLE!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06 is the one the reasons why I like Solo Sonic games. Its my first game and I love Sonic but i didnt see enough of him AND HIS NAME WAS ON THE FUCKING TITLE!!!!!!

Actually, Sonic '06 is a game I like because of the other characters, although I must say it would be better if it was centered around Sonic more as it was his anniversary game. But, I'm not a huge fan of Solo Sonic games, they just feel too empty and lonely, which is why I play '06 more than Unleashed.

I'm still amazed that people ever interpreted him like that in the first place. There's a fair argument that they've made him dumber over time (Boom Knuckles obviously taking it to a new level), but even in the Adventures he had a tendency to get fooled, chumped, and dunked on.

Pretty sure people knew he was gullible - the guy you quoted said just that as part of Knuckles's character.

They're not calling him a genius, but someone who, while gullible to being tricked, was still knowledgeable enough to act on the information he had or could gain, could do so on his own strength (independence), could set his mind to his goals (focused), and took his job seriously and was stubborn to the point that anything that didn't help him toward his goal was unimportant to him. And the Adventures also showed those very traits.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

Now you're just moving the goalposts.

I'm not moving the goalposts because I've said multiple times why Sonic 4 doesn't count :P . 

As for Sonic 06 being SA3, it's more of a bastardisation of SA3 than anything. Sonic Unleashed plays absolutely nothing like Adventure, the fact it was once planned as SA3 means nothing. If Sonic 4 was planned to be SA3 that doesn't mean it's secretly SA3. I'll stop now on this though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...yeah? If I was going to describe what kind of game Colors DS was, I'd probably say "basically Rush 3, without Blaze". It just doesn't come up much because no one's begging for a Rush 3. Well if you want to be technical, Blaze is in Sonic Colors (DS) 

Well obviously Unleashed can't be SA3. '06 is too busy being SA3. Unleashed is SA4. Sure it is:rolleyes:Care to explain?

I'm still amazed that people ever interpreted him like that in the first place. There's a fair argument that they've made him dumber over time (Boom Knuckles obviously taking it to a new level), but even in the Adventures he had a tendency to get fooled, chumped, and dunked on. Idiot or not, it's part of Knuckles's character to be gullible.

Edited by Dan-Dude

-But Blaze isnt playable. I think thats what he meant.

-Well I can understand why they think that. Sonic 06 have the many playable friends (some took the spotlights from Sonic), a dark adventure (like Sonic Adventure 2) and a confusing plot. 

Apparently, Badniks and GHZ clones do not count as consistency or standards at this point.  Why not? 

A different topic, but a peeve of mine. Sonic Advance's 1 ending. I already stated my opinion on Advance's 2 ending in the opinions thread. But I'll leave this here because I feel it more closely fits with this thread.

Sonic Advance 1; I have no issues with the story because it barely has one; it's just enough to keep the characters going, somewhat like Sonic 1 and 2.

However, things become interesting with the 'extra' stage. Sonic becomes Super Sonic and pursues Eggman all the way to the moon in a matter of moments. Amazing feats by both glowing hedgehog and the mad scientist. Super Sonic then has an excellent boss fight; he maintains his enhanced speed and has greatly improved jumping ability, which is how Super Sonic should be. None of this 'Super is slower than normal form' we have seen very often, such as in Advance 2 and 3.

Super Sonic defeats Eggman and....things become odd. Amy, Knuckles, Tails and a bunch of other furries look up in concern at the moon; it is a touching scene, but then we get the text "A few days later." A few days later??!! Let's say that Super Sonic was floating around in space, or on the moon for three days. Remembering that a ring is consumed per second, how many rings would Sonic need?

If my calculations are correct (and by that I mean the Bing calculator) Sonic would need a whopping 259,200 rings!!

If by some miracle he was able to procure that many rings, why? What is the point of staying in space? Sonic went from earth to the moon in mere moments? Why did it take so long to come back? Did Sonic just feel like chilling out in the super state for a hugely extended period of time? He had to have known that his friends were worried. "Aw, let them worry. I want to stay in space!"

It's just silly. I know the writers were trying to replicate the feeling of Sonic 2, but they really goofed with the 'few days' element.

There is one reasonable explanation; Eggman had a base on the moon. That's why Eggman flew there in the first place. Upon defeating Eggman's incredibly strong robot (We need more robots like this; machines that can stand up to Super Sonic without some flawed power source or monster of the week), Sonic discovers Eggman's base, is able to retain the emeralds after depowering like in the classic games, and spends the next few days kicking Eggman booty in a story we never get to see. Pity. After defeating Eggman again, poor Eggman can't catch a break, Sonic reactivates the Super form and flies back to Earth, Morbius, whatever.

Yep, I think I'll stick with this explanation; otherwise, Sonic advance 1 is arguably more illogical in this situation than Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

Thanks yall for listening, or reading rather, to my peeve.

Edited by DarkDefeater
  • Thumbs Up 1

I noticed that too. I'm more weirded-out by the contradiction to the fact that super forms can't be sustained for any real extended length of time as stated on SONIC CHANNEL. So Sonic being able to maintain his for a good few days is really pushing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

A different topic, but a peeve of mine. Sonic Advance's 1 ending. I already stated my opinion on Advance's 2 ending in the opinions thread. But I'll leave this here because I feel it more closely fits with this thread.

Sonic Advance 1; I have no issues with the story because it barely has one; it's just enough to keep the characters going, somewhat like Sonic 1 and 2.

However, things become interesting with the 'extra' stage. Sonic becomes Super Sonic and pursues Eggman all the way to the moon in a matter of moments. Amazing feats by both glowing hedgehog and the mad scientist. Super Sonic then has an excellent boss fight; he maintains his enhanced speed and has greatly improved jumping ability, which is how Super Sonic should be. None of this 'Super is slower than normal form' we have seen very often, such as in Advance 2 and 3.

Super Sonic defeats Eggman and....things become odd. Amy, Knuckles, Tails and a bunch of other furries look up in concern at the moon; it is a touching scene, but then we get the text "A few days later." A few days later??!! Let's say that Super Sonic was floating around in space, or on the moon for three days. Remembering that a ring is consumed per second, how many rings would Sonic need?

If my calculations are correct (and by that I mean the Bing calculator) Sonic would need a whopping 259,200 rings!!

If by some miracle he was able to procure that many rings, why? What is the point of staying in space? Sonic went from earth to the moon in mere moments? Why did it take so long to come back? Did Sonic just feel like chilling out in the super state for a hugely extended period of time? He had to have known that his friends were worried. "Aw, let them worry. I want to stay in space!"

It's just silly. I know the writers were trying to replicate the feeling of Sonic 2, but they really goofed with the 'few days' element.

There is one reasonable explanation; Eggman had a base on the moon. That's why Eggman flew there in the first place. Upon defeating Eggman's incredibly strong robot (We need more robots like this; machines that can stand up to Super Sonic without some flawed power source or monster of the week), Sonic discovers Eggman's base, is able to retain the emeralds after depowering like in the classic games, and spends the next few days kicking Eggman booty in a story we never get to see. Pity. After defeating Eggman again, poor Eggman can't catch a break, Sonic reactivates the Super form and flies back to Earth, Morbius, whatever.

Yep, I think I'll stick with this explanation; otherwise, Sonic advance 1 is arguably more illogical in this situation than Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06.

Thanks yall for listening, or reading rather, to my peeve.

I feel you, I've always taken it as he didn't actually stay on the moon all this time. Sonic just didn't go see his friends right away. Sonic Advance is around the same era as the Adventures, where Sonic and Tails aren't together all the time. So it makes sense to me that he'd just come down from space and do his own thing and relax.

If you watch the ending again, we never see Sonic coming down from space, he's just kind of flying around.

It's just always made more sense to me. Also, what happens to the emeralds in each game after they've all been collected has never been totally clear. I'm pretty sure it's generally accepted that they fly out and separate like the dragon balls do after use, but if memory proves me right this isn't always the case.

The emeralds don't separate after every use; In fact, I've only seen that in the smash games. That's why in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and so on, Sonic can use the form repeatedly. If memory serves correctly, the emeralds look like they separate after depowering in colors, but Sonic still has them after getting another 50 rings. Odd.

As for your theory that Sonic came back to earth immediately....wow, if your theory is correct, then Sonic is a cold-hearted monster. "Yeah, I know you guys are worrying, but I'll just chill by myself for a few days." It's a good theory, but I think I'll stick with my own; I feel your theory makes Sonic arguably the biggest jerk in the entire series.

And if the emeralds separate after every use, why is Sonic flying in his super form again? He shouldn't be able to, unless he spent time looking for the chaos emeralds again....then when he depowers again after landing with Tails, he'll just lose the emeralds again. Ugh.

I can understand you feeling that way, but how would Sonic know his friends are all looking up at the moon waiting for him? It's never clear when the others are out completing their own respective stories, and I do doubt that they are all traveling in a group at the same time. Like I said, he wouldn't really have a reason to go see everyone straight away especially if they aren't together at all times throughout their adventure up until Sonic chases Eggman to the moon. 

Also, in some continuities, Sonic is a little bit of a jerk.

Edited by monkokaio

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been mentioned (I'd hope at least) I hate the "Sanic" garbage that's on the internet. Like, it's so unfunny and dumb and it seems to be everywhere. 

I hate to even bring it up but I'll be watching things I enjoy then suddenly "Oh look it's Sanic! HAHA FAST! haha! LOL!" 

SIGH

Plus, everyone knows Sunky is the superior meme. gmXAUItolJQHT7IwGutKgHMh6zSq4srsGKdb8i4y

• 3 months later...

I hate when Sonic 06 defenders come and say that we only hate the game because we are mindless followers of the critics. Granted, there are some people who have never played the game or just plain suck at it, but it also doesn't excuse the fact that the game really does suck. Most people HAVE played it and agreed it sucks. You wanna think it's a good game, fine by me. But don't get upset because the general consensus is that your favorite game sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2016 at 10:26 AM, Mikyeong said:

I hate when Sonic 06 defenders come and say that we only hate the game because we are mindless followers of the critics. Granted, there are some people who have never played the game or just plain suck at it, but it also doesn't excuse the fact that the game really does suck. Most people HAVE played it and agreed it sucks. You wanna think it's a good game, fine by me. But don't get upset because the general consensus is that your favorite game sucks.

This rarely happens, so I'm starting to wonder how its a pet peeve? Granted it does happen every now and then, so natrually people will point it out. And if anything, I'm sure a good chunk of people are capable of knowing why they don't like something, so maybe these people just want better explanations rather than "It's better than 2006." "What does that even mean? Everything is better than 2006!"

I think I said this before in a different thread years ago, but my own pet peeve comes from the assumption that both Adventure games were considered the best among Sonic fandom and that no one criticizes them. That's just not true, and it's been that way for YEARS now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a lot of issues with Adventure 2, but the music is a peeve of mine. Adventure 1 had so much variety, that the sequel's was a step back. They have this thing where they try to go for each character having their own style. That's fine, a good idea actually, and a lot of the soundtrack is still really good. Problem? Half of the characters basically have "rock" as their style (Sonic, Tails, Eggman), and one of the ones who is meant to have a more techno style (Shadow) still has two stages with rock themes in anyway. What's the point of trying to have different styles if three of them are going to be so similar to each other anyway? It would have worked out better if they'd committed to each character having a style more if they did it like Rouge and Knuckles, who have very different styles that are stuck to and stand out.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/20/2016 at 1:28 PM, NintendoSoul said:

I think I said this before in a different thread years ago, but my own pet peeve comes from the assumption that both Adventure games were considered the best among Sonic fandom and that no one criticizes them. That's just not true, and it's been that way for YEARS now.

This and when people say that Adventure 3 will be the holy savior of the Sonic franchise.

Im sorry but in what world do you live in where a literally who ass character like fang is even cared about enough to be put in a game. Let alone put in over someone popular as shadow.

I agree with your point with sega being a company working on extremes. I mentioned in another thread considering every company under the damn sun is breaking all their characters out nowadays in multiple types of media, maybe getting rid of friends was a short sighted bad idea. And maybe creating quality strong lasting products featuring them would turned the narrative around and present you with a whole cast of sellable dudes. Besides the old crew+ shadow. It was a short sighted "solution" for a bigger problem, sega sonics development schedule when it came to these games are super fucked, and maybe you should think about letting your ideas actually develop. Both problems still prevelant in the series. And now combined with a new set of problems.

Using boom's "its for kids" thing as an argument. Sonic has always been for kids sonic boom for some people aint doing it for them. Even worse when the topic is about narrative and when you suggest that maybe  having more of it might be good you are hit with that again. Like there aren't kids programming with narratives.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

That SEGA isn't listening to the fans correctly. Sonic 06 had a boatload of characters who were irrelevant to the story stuffed into the game, and people pointed that out. SEGA then removes the other playable characters in the next game. People want different gameplay, SEGA puts a particular gameplay style on the wrong character (Shadow the Hedgehog so could've been Fang the Sniper with speed shoes. Just less dark.), or they take away Sonic's signature speed (Lost World, werehog). People asked for Sonic 4, it's a game split into episodes that plays like Sonic Rush, and pretty much re-used everything from the first two games (Tails was also advertised as a huge thing, yet you can't even play as him). People ask for serious stories, we get over-the-top serious. People ask for it to be a little less serious, we get complete comedy. No wonder SEGA can't please their fans.

I certainly agree that Sega will often try to appease the fans in either an extreme, pedantic or just plain lazy manner, with little concept of a middle ground.

It often seems like we can only have two versions of Sonic- either childishly edgy melodrama with plotholes, umpteen playable characters and no self-awareness, or utilitarian, cartoonish fare with a minuscule character roster and Sonic being the sole playable character. (at the same time, I would rather Sega refined Sonic's gameplay as much as they can before adding more playable characters in future games).

Something that really annoys me is when a game is announced and backlash follows, but then you get people responding to this backlash with posts, videos, songs, etc. that essentially amount to "Stop complaining, Sega are trying so hard to please you!". It was especially evident with Sonic 4, when people responded to the criticism with "You're finally getting Sonic 4 after 16 years and now you're throwing it back in their faces!". Where's the logic to that? When a company hastily rebrands shovelware as a long-awaited continuation of such a well-regarded game trilogy, surely that warrants complaining? and the "Sega are trying hard to please" argument is nullified because nobody developing Sonic 4 was trying hard!

I may have said this before, but it's like going to a café and ordering a cake. If you received a cake made of sawdust and cotton wool, nobody would hush your complaints with "You ordered a cake, and now you've gotten one and you're not happy? What's wrong with you?". 

• Thumbs Up 3