Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I do find it kinda funny that Eggman has had more games with a recurring theme than Sonic has had.

E.G.G.M.A.N. has been used to signify his appearence in three games, and "Theme of Dr. Eggman" from Sonic 2006 was used in three games. He even had his own instrumental melody in the first two Riders games.

Personally I really think they could make an awesome permanent theme out of mixing all three of the above together... I dunno what it is but Eggman's themes have always been consistent in sounding like they could all totally be remixed together. They always have a strong pace to them.

Anyway in light of the fact that they can't use the Sonic 1 theme without paying massive royalties to Masato, I'll just post for like the millionth time that this would be my ideal Sonic theme to get remixed over and over again for the rest of time if such a thing was needed:

God seriously can you just not see an amazing title screen materialising to this music (with the animation finishing and "Push Start" appearing at about the 0:15 mark)?

I admit, that does sound like a greatway to start a game.

So what should we call them then? The reason why the term Mobians has lasted so long is because Sega never has come up with a term for what the Sonic characters are.

I just call them "anthros", but in a way I agree with you; fan nicknames or borrowed terms for nameless concepts aren't harmful so long as everyone is aware of the context. I suppose they only start getting confusing and annoying when people are discussing canon in-depth and thus accuracy is needed, but in general conversation I understand what someone means when they say "Mobian."

Speaking of canon, I have two pet-peeves related to it. The first is that I feel the popular way to determine it by merely assuming that anything that doesn't appear contradictory must be true doesn't make a lick of sense and is a terrible barometer to base historical events on. If we assume no event is contradictory to reality, that renders the event meaningless instead of true; nothing would be there to logically stop a person from considering an inconsequential game non-canon if they so chose, because the game's existence is completely independent of whatever canon there is. It could have happened, or it couldn't have happened, so it's lack of contradiction isn't proof of truth. For something that should be as heralded per se as the history of the world, however fictional that world is, a higher standard should be enacted to determine what really happened; namely that the games have to prove they do actually exist, which can be done in references to past titles.

Second, and ironic considering what I said above: people take canon too seriously. Does it honestly matter in the grand scheme of things that your favorite game may not have happened? Did any significant portion of your enjoyment of that game hinge on whether or not any of the events in it were true? The game still exists as it does, and it will always be that same game you enjoyed. What do you personally gain from trying to prove that it did indeed happen? I feel this way about the Riders series in that it's its own little sideshow and not really canon to the main series. Doesn't make me stop liking them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's think, other than nostalgia, what does the series even have going for it?

Let`s see........a sense of speed and rush you can`t get in any other platformer, awesome music, a vast and diverse cast (too bad they don't use them as of now)....need I go on?

Let`s see........a sense of speed and rush you can`t get in any other platformer, awesome music, a vast and diverse cast (too bad they don't use them as of now)....need I go on?

I can get it from a racing game tho.

You can platform in a racing game?

Actually, I've seen a racing game with platforming before, yes.

*VEDJ-F is missing the point*

• Thumbs Up 1

I can get it from a racing game tho.

But unlike platformers, all racing games are fast, and few to none have that same sense of getting through envioronments in an unorthodox manner.

Even the ones that do have something like say, going straight up the middle of a clock tower and down the other side, there's no sense of specialness to it because every other racer is doing the same.

In Sonic, only YOU, the player (as Sonic) are that cool.

Also the SST theme was amazing. I've no idea what you're think of with your toos and roos, but it's actually SE-GA. Seriously, Richard Jacques said that's what the theme tune was based around- the classic SEGA chant.

The too roo I was talking about starts at 0:06, gah I hate that melody!

Edit: Let me redeem myself; the song itself isn't bad, it's just that after hearing hundreds of times, you get sick of it. That happened to me when I played this game for achievements, I had to mute.

Edited by tenchibr

The too roo I was talking about starts at 0:06, gah I hate that melody!

Again, it's SE-GA. Same notes and all.

The assumption that Sonic is a perfect Gary Stu who can do no wrong and who has no big character flaws.

What bull.

Sonic has flaws. He's stricken with a bad case of tunnel vision, leaves his mates in the dust to go adventuring and even his SONIC CHANNEL bio states that he is "selfishly fond of freedom". He has an apparent inclination towards short-temperedness, can be quite arrogant and you could even say that his level of impatience is unreasonable even considering that he's used to getting things done fast.

Whatsmore, he's even quite obstinate when it comes to his views and never even seemed to vaguely consider Merlina's ideals, as intrinsically wrong as they were. He is extremely intolerant of one-sided sadness and is also quite greedy. Just look at the "Sonic and Chip in Chun-Nan" video in Unleashed laugh.png

There's also the big factor of his weakness to water. And is also ashamed of his swimming inability.

All of these flaws make Sonic a more believable, realistic and endearing character and shatter that perception of Sonic as a flawless being.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

Silver appearing in countless sports games where Rouge does not. Also Sola Sonica.

• Thumbs Up 1

And no where in that post did I read Sonic's arrogance causing Eggman to beat him in his super form no less and indirectly caused the world to break apart. That's a pretty big "oops" there, don'cha think Verte?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

And no where in that post did I read Sonic's arrogance causing Eggman to beat him in his super form no less and indirectly caused the world to break apart. That's a pretty big "oops" there, don'cha think Verte?

Nope. I acknowledged this before your post was made and included it. Take a look at the edit time compared to the time your post was posted :)

The fact that Green Hill Zone is supposed to be "the epitome of Classic Sonic". I'm so fucking tired of Green Hill.

The intense lack of Knuckles.

The fact that Sonic blows through everyone without trying. There's no suspense as to who's going to win anymore. Make Sonic lose in a fight to Metal Sonic or Doc for once. Restore some faith in the bad guys.

Sonic fans who still hate Mario and constantly state that old Genesis tagline, "Sega does what Nintendon't" when referring to Sonic Generations vs. Mario All-Stars. Mario's 25th anniversary game was Galaxy 2, idiots.

People who think that Shadow's ability to keep up with Sonic is innate and not in his FUCKING ROCKET SHOES. Come on, people, he fucking flies with them in Generations.

The fact that Rouge has gotten the shaft (heh) as of late.

ShadAmy. Shadow is asexual. He is not a "natural" being (thus eliminating the need for reproductive organs and sexual attraction) ilikepie and his personality does not facilitate romance.

Edited by HyperMetal
  • Thumbs Up 1

ShadAmy. Shadow is asexual. He is not a "natural" being (thus eliminating the need for reproductive organs and sexual attraction) and his personality does not facilitate romance.

You really don't know enough about the character's actual schematics or his views on romance to make that claim.

The whole notion of assigning characters sexualities.

This is, ultimately at it's heart, a mainly child-oriented videogame franchise. The issue of sexuality is irrelevant as a whole and not really that suitable a subject. And the games are not about romance or anything similar. Not to mention that most of the cast are adolescent or pre-adolescent :/

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm backing up the hatred of a ridiculous idea with an equally ridiculous explanation.

Yeah, it's stupid, but so is Shadamy.

EDIT: I thought that the AST theme was based off the "Chaos Emerald Get" jingle? That's what it sounds like.

Edited by HyperMetal

Countering a stupid with a stupid idea is not a good way to get your point across.

I'm quite impartial to pairings myself. I admit that I love SonAmy strictly in the Sonic X continuity and I'm very neutral towards other pairings. I despise Sonadow when it morphs Sonic and Shadow into unrecognizable parodies of themselves and whilst I don't like or dislike SonSal/Sonally, the way it is portrayed in Archie is hella annoying.

And I really hate ShadAmy when it's shippers morph Sonic into a monster for the sake of it. But I've said that before in this topic so...

Look, I'm so fucking sorry that I don't back up all of my posts with extensively researched scientific evidence, but it's not like I'm insulting you personally. Logically, Black Doom wouldn't have insisted on giving Shadow the innate need to form relationships with others of his species. Rouge takes care of him like a mother, and he sees an equal in Omega. It's stupid to think that he'd feel romance toward anyone, especially with Rouge throwing her affection at him (which is probably just a personality trait and not actual romance) and him giving no fucks.

All pairings that aren't officially endorsed have some element of universe/plot/character twisting to it. That's really the fundamental nature of hypothetical scenarios, and it's part of the fun. It's mere fantasy, and I don't see why it should be taken so seriously by either side of the fence.

Look, I'm so fucking sorry that I don't back up all of my posts with extensively researched scientific evidence, but it's not like I'm insulting you personally.

Please step off of your high horse. I didn't ask you for scientific evidence. I actually didn't ask you for anything. And I never acted insulted, although with your attitude being the way it is, I am annoyed. I specifically said that you don't know anything about Shadow's schematics or his views on romance to make the hard claim that he's asexual. He could be bisexual for all you know. The point is, no one knows Shadow's sexuality because Sega hasn't made that information relevant. For reasons Verte explained, they don't need to.

You made a claim that couldn't be backed up and you got called on it. Don't throw a hissyfit because I did so.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic fans who still hate Mario and constantly state that old Genesis tagline, "Sega does what Nintendon't" when referring to Sonic Generations vs. Mario All-Stars. Mario's 25th anniversary game was Galaxy 2, idiots.

Does anyone actually use this tagline seriously anymore? I always use it to be a smartass.

Galaxy 2 was the 25th anniversary game? Then why didn't they pack it with all the shit that they packed with All-Stars? Did they even put "25th anniversary" on the case? That's pretty misleading if they didn't.

Have to agree on Green Hill though.

My opinion is that all the females are constantly in heat (especially Amy) and all the males lack the pingas to mate with them.

Status Quo is kept beautifully.

Questions?

• Thumbs Up 4

Look, I'm so fucking sorry that I don't back up all of my posts with extensively researched scientific evidence, but it's not like I'm insulting you personally. Logically, Black Doom wouldn't have insisted on giving Shadow the innate need to form relationships with others of his species.
Shadow's not made out of legos where you can easily pick and choose the parts you want. "Desires romantic relationships" is not some distinct piece that can simply be left out, it's something that would have to be programmed out of the existing sentient hedgehog brain, which is not likely an exact science (considering he broke out of Gerald's programming by the end of SA2). And, it's not like Doom was the only one responsible for Shadow; before he snapped, Gerald was pretty big on giving his creations souls, letting them choose their own path and all that shit. And it's not like Shadow is utterly devoid of positive emotion or incapable of forming bonds with others, considering his relationship with Maria. There's no reason to assume that Shadow is biologically incapable of love or anything of the sort.

Rouge takes care of him like a mother,
That's a debatable statement, but ultimately an irrelevant one anyway.

It's stupid to think that he'd feel romance toward anyone, especially with Rouge throwing her affection at him (which is probably just a personality trait and not actual romance) and him giving no fucks.
Not being interested in one woman does not mean not being interested in any women (or any men).