Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

I've come to accept that nothing will be good enough for this fanbase, and I'll just take everything in stride.

If it's not physics, it's stories, if it's not stories it's the characters, if it's not the characters it's the voice actors, and so on and so on. This fanbase will never be united, especially with each side being uncompromising douchebags, so I'm going to stay neutral and not associate myself with either crowd; Classic, Adventure or Modern.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess we just won't be happy until we have that AAA title that miraculously fixes every problem under the sun. We're in for a long wait I guess.

We could be alot worse off you know. Look at Crash Bandicoot. Look at Spyro. Look at Banjo. Look at all those other fallen Platformer franchises. Then look at Sonic.

This franchise is alot better off than those. Unlike them, Sonic survived and has been in an upswing in quality since 2008. Fans of those other franchises wish their favorite series' were doing as good as ours. I say we enjoy and be thankful for what we have now and just hope the future is even better.

But Inferno, don't you know that being optimistic and positive is a waste of time? When you're satisfied with something, that means you implicitly accept the flaws of that thing and are thus settling for mediocrity. Cynicism is the path to bettering yourself and everything around you, so stop being happy.

I am thankful that Sonic is actually still around and somewhat relevant, and subsequently I miss Crash and am jonesing so bad to play Warped.... which is ironically another hallway-based linear platformer.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay I'm gonna move on now, and say that I actually like how the swimming works in Sonic 4 Episode 2.

However, one thing bugs me.

When you dismount mid-flight, Sonic jumps off. When you dismount mid-swim, Sonic just falls off, not in ball form, and you can't move left or right. Why the inconsistency?

.... I have really petty peeves actually :x

EDIT (because I cba to make a quote): Right ahead of ya, Batman.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Okay I'm gonna move on now, and say that I actually like how the swimming works in Sonic 4 Episode 2.

However, one thing bugs me.

When you dismount mid-flight, Sonic jumps off. When you dismount mid-swim, Sonic just falls off, not in ball form, and you can't move left or right. Why the inconsistency?

.... I have really petty peeves actually :x

EDIT (because I cba to make a quote): Right ahead of ya, Batman.

Sonic can't move as fast when underwater like in the genesis games. That's a no brainer, but when it comes to Sonic 4 physics, why they didn't use the genesis games physics for reference (which I can't believe they did-with what we got in Sonic 4) is anyones guess.

But then again, what fanbase is united?

True, but sometimes it feels like the Sonic one is the worst of the lot.

It seems you cant compliment the modern gameplay in anyway without someone starting shit.

Thats my pet peeve.

You can't compliment any game in the series without starting shit; You like the classics? Well you're a nostalgia fag who likes slow paced gameplay. Like the Adventure games? You're a child who likes "darker and edgier" and crappy alternate gameplay. Like Modern games? You have no taste for "real" gameplay.

It's annoying.

• Thumbs Up 8

True, but sometimes it feels like the Sonic one is the worst of the lot.

That's because we're a part of the fanbase.

You can't compliment any game in the series without starting shit; You like the classics? Well you're a nostalgia fag who likes slow paced gameplay. Like the Adventure games? You're a child who likes "darker and edgier" and crappy alternate gameplay. Like Modern games? You have no taste for "real" gameplay.

It's annoying.

I'm pretty much guilty of this. I'm sure there are a number of people who are.

The saddest part is, at least for me, I don't even know if what I want from a Sonic game, would actually turn out to be enjoyable to play.

People say the want all sorts of things, but would they actually be happy with the end product?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic fanbase isn't disjointed because we don't agree in lockstep on everything. Harmony like that is impossible, thus it would make every other fanbase just as notorious if it were true. The Sonic fanbase is disjointed because being a dick to others and hijacking conversations as vehicles to tear others down has become accepted and applauded, which in turn makes people bitter, retaliatory, and more defensive of their own preferences than they otherwise would be.

When I meet a person on the street who doesn't like Unleashed, we don't argue; we talk. They express their reasons why, give me a chance to give my own opinion, and we have a nice conversation. Sometimes we can agree on certain things, with them admitting a certain piece of the game wasn't as bad, and with me remembering some bit was awful. This is simply not the case online. As it's been made clear, some people obviously see me liking Unleashed as some sort of attack on progress, which makes me all the more likely to defend the game to the best of my ability, or at the very least not consider what they have to say after they've made their modus operandi clear.

• Thumbs Up 6

What happens if I like all of the above? D:

Here's one that is more my fault than the game's, but nevertheless, it's annoying saving up a bunch of rings, only to suddenly get hit and lose them all. Except in Unleashed/Generations where you lose...uh, I think half of them or something like that? Still frustrating! Eh, I don't know, maybe I'm just too obsessive about collecting those things. XD

Oh, and it still bugs me that once you have all the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 2, you can't jump if you have 50+ Rings without turning into Super Sonic...probably the only advantage Tails has in that game.

Speaking of Super Forms...

It's a HUGE peeve of mine when you're playing as a Super/Hyper form during a level and the level theme is replaced by incredibly annoying and repetitive song. I'm looking at you Sonic 3/& Knuckles and Sonic Colours >:0 The biggest downside to these forms is the way they ruin the soundtrack.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 4

I hate when your in a super form, levels that don't really support super sonic. As in I'll run into a lot of things that will stop or slow me down. Especially when your about to run out of rings.

That's because we're a part of the fanbase.

Yeah.

I'm pretty much guilty of this. I'm sure there are a number of people who are.

The saddest part is, at least for me, I don't even know if what I want from a Sonic game, would actually turn out to be enjoyable to play.

People say the want all sorts of things, but would they actually be happy with the end product?

I'm pretty sure Sonic fans don't know what they want, because when they get it, there's still a bunch of complaining.

Yeah, I am well aware it wasn't perfect. Doesn't really mean anything in the context of improving does it?
How long am I supposed to wait? They've had 3 tries at getting classic Sonic gameplay right (Generations and S4E1+2) and they've failed every time. They've had over a decade to get 3D Sonic working and the best they've managed to do is a game that puts style over substance. I am, genuinely, a patient guy, but my patience is running thin.

Oh really? Forgive my skepticsm here, but I really don't believe that to be true. Especially considering there isn't a fangame I've played which was anywhere near as good as the classics. After 15-20 years of disassembling, deconstructing and over-analysing every little facet of the classic Sonic gameplay and still no fangame maker can match the originals.
I meant better than anything Sonic Team's put out lately, not so much better than the originals. A professional-quality game, even one from the 16 bit era, takes a hell of a lot of effort. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APv53jEXNw, and then look at how little Sonic Team has accomplished in the last decade-plus.

You know what, maybe you're right, maybe they didn't know exactly what they were doing when they were told to do classic Sonic gameplay, but does that mean that they're totally incapable of, or lack the will/pride to improve?
Look man I can't say 100% absolutely that they will never get their shit together (and if I could, I probably wouldn't be here). But they path they are currently on is not good, and if it is a path that is financially successful (or even just financially adequate), they are probably going to stick to it.

Really? Vegetables?

Wow.

If you're talking about the opinions of people who aren't thinking about what they're playing, vegetable is a pretty apt metaphor.
  • Thumbs Up 1

That the exact thing im (and a lot of other people) are talking about, comparing people who enjoy the modern games to vegetables and saying they dont think is just fucking obnoxious and uncalled for, really.

• Thumbs Up 8

Seriously?

Look:

Yes because they don't judge a game based on their perception of how deep or shallow the gameplay is. People enjoyed playing it, so to them its a good game. Is it that hard to understand?
This is what I was responding to. Not everyone who likes the games.

*Sigh* I just wanted simple discussion.

Edited by The Batman

I fucking hate these gameplay discussions. They start off fine and quickly become polite fights, you can guarantee who's on each side of the battle and ohmigod there are so many more interesting thing pertaining just to Sonic. Thank-you people who are trying to keep this fun topic, well, fun.

Pet Peeve: When people call every one of Eggman's robots an Egg Pawn. Badnik's is tolerable because it's what they all were for years, but Egg Pawns? No. Those things from '06 and Unleashed are Egg Gunners and Egg Fighters. And the flying things from Heroes? Egg Flappers. It's not that hard.

Related Pet Peeve: "Egg Pawns are the worst thing ever!" ... um, why? They're perfect as Eggman robots, considering he loves having his face plastered everywhere. Okay Heroes and Shadow overused them, but with less over exposure, more varied looks and having them alongside regular Badniks they're too awesome. 4srs

Sonic_Colours_-_01_Chef_Egg_Pawn.png

• Thumbs Up 6

EggPawn's are my favourite Eggman Robot. Ever. It used to be my username!

No fanbase is perfect but I think that the Sonic fanbase is the worst I mean we used to have a fan who wears diapers and hates green eyes and another one who thinks that any fan who likes Modern Sonic is an idiot.

People who still act like the Sonic fanbase is the worst fanbase ever.

Haha

No

Far from it.

I know a lot of the people around here are joking when they make comments about the fanbase. But Jesus Christ it's getting old.

EDIT: Wow, 2 opposing pet peeves at the same time. huh.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 1