Aero

Sonic-related pet peeves?

This topic is going to make me run out of likes.

They are called rings, not coins. Say it with me: RINGS.

This especially when you tell said person (people) about real life objects being the same way and they insist on calling them that. I've had that happen to me twice.

Elitist fanboys who roast anything negative of something they like and label anyone who holds such negative opinions "whiners," "complainers," etc. (regardless whether their criticisms are justified or not) and constantly try to paint them as scapegoats.

Even worse is when they accuse these critics of some horrible thing they are usually doing the same (in this case the critics may have done so, but from what I've seen it's either usually done only by a select few or it's not done as a large or frequent scale as that of the fanboys).

I'm pretty sure there's people who do the same thing to people who hold a positive opinion of something (I'm not too fond of them either), but I've seen a lot of the former at a certain subforum at the Sega Forums.

Frankly, I hate when people start ascribing moral legitimacy or lack thereof to any kind of broad position during conversation about this series because it does nothing but falsely elevate positions and inflate the egos of those who pertain to any particular side, which is the last thing this community of all communities needs. Cynics are called insatiable, masochistic nitpickers; optimists are called ignorant, misguided apologists. Both sides claim that their insensitive, insulting frothy-mouthed rants are in reality out of pure love or some noble need to save a franchise belonging to a company that doesn't give a damn about them. I find it all to be bullshit. :|

Knuckles X Sally is a thing?

wtf?

What happened was that Knuckles and Sally met in childhood for a short period of time, but they parted ways. As such, Sally was Knuckles' first friend (>:/). Sonic #232 showed Knuckles still cares very deeply for Sally.

But yeah, even though it does have that, it's clear that they've moved on from that and so fans of that ship are basically basing it on events that are moot.

Edited by VEDJ-F

See, that's a shot where the side mouth is warranted. It's a smirk, it makes sense to pull to the side. But why is it like that all the time?

Because it suits him to have it all the time. It make shim look more mature somehow, and does a good job of putting across his personality. Of course, it's entirely subjective, but I just think it looks better. It's a concious part of the characters design used to subtly distinguish age and whether they're more cool or cute. Compare Sonic, Knuckles, Rouge and Espio (side-mouths) to Tails, Amy, Cream and Charmy (central-mouths).

Also-

sonicmouthvariety.png

Top, left to right: central-neutral, central-smile, side neutral

Bottom, left to right: no mouth, original, EVERYBODY HAPPY

Edited by Blue Blood

I remember when SASASR was announced and there were countless comments such as "OMG WHY DOES SONIC NEED A CAR, HE CAN RUN LOL".

It's a car race.

Thats why he needs a car.

sleep.png

And maybe he just, I dunno, wants to drive?

And I know this has been brought up before, but I'm saying it anyway - people who want an SA3 because it's 'the only way to save Sonic'.

I have some news for these kinds of people; Shut. The hell. Up. If you want a Sonic Adventure 3 because you really like the Adventure series and think they deserve another installment because you thought they were fun games and all....that's different. That doesn't annoy me at all. It's the people who basically have to bitch and moan that we need a Sonic Adventure 3 because the series will die without it that I want to smack.

I have a revelation to make.

It will blow your minds. (well, probably not, but still)

You ready?

A Sonic Adventure 3 could be the worse game in the series. Not saying it would be, no. It could also be one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise (not that I personally ever WANT to see an SA3 though...). The point I'm trying to make is; the title of a game does nothing for the quality. Nothing. Stop acting like it does.

And maybe he just, I dunno, wants to drive?

And I know this has been brought up before, but I'm saying it anyway - people who want an SA3 because it's 'the only way to save Sonic'.

I have some news for these kinds of people; Shut. The hell. Up. If you want a Sonic Adventure 3 because you really like the Adventure series and think they deserve another installment because you thought they were fun games and all....that's different. That doesn't annoy me at all. It's the people who basically have to bitch and moan that we need a Sonic Adventure 3 because the series will die without it that I want to smack.

I have a revelation to make.

It will blow your minds. (well, probably not, but still)

You ready?

A Sonic Adventure 3 could be the worse game in the series. Not saying it would be, no. It could also be one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise (not that I personally ever WANT to see an SA3 though...). The point I'm trying to make is; the title of a game does nothing for the quality. Nothing. Stop acting like it does.

So in short, it's basically the same reasons why classic fans wanted a Sonic 4.

So in short, it's basically the same reasons why classic fans wanted a Sonic 4.

Oh look, a new pet peeve I have.

I'm also kinda getting annoyed who think that classic fans wanted a Sonic 4 or a (spiritual) successor to the classics only because they/we thought "it would save the franchise." Some classic fanboys may have thought that, but it sure as hell definitely wasn't why I wanted another classic-styled Sonic game.

I dunno, I like the look of Tekno. If you ask me, she'd be pretty easy to remodel into the Sega format.

I mean't more along the lines of characters like these;

Daz.jpgMesmer.jpgwindy1.jpg

Fleetway is particularly guilty. It's like there's no real effort to make the characters correlate more with the designs of the SEGA characters and it really really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Okay, Verte. I take your Fleetway and raise you one Archie:

KnucklesJulieSukiss.png

OH SWEET JESUS KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Also...

tumblr_lztnuvTzBw1rnsvazo1_500.jpg

Quite a few Archie artists had no real grasp of drawing Sonic. Rendering them as creepy manimals like in that image or getting even the basics of design so wrong. Shadow's yellow chest fur and Sonic's horrific quills on Sanford Green's covers ring a bell?

- The depiction of characters in fanart with overtly human proportioning and aspects such as defined musculature, visisble necks, toes etc. Basically designs of the characters in fanwork that deviates a lot from the character design standard.

Agreed, I really dislike art like this as well.

Okay, Verte. I take your Fleetway and raise you one Archie:

I take all three of your images and raise it with Butler and Kenders art:

SallyAcorn02.png

DimitriFR1.jpg

Edited by Zinos

Agreed, I really dislike art like this as well.

I take all three of your images and raise it with Butler and Kenders art:

SallyAcorn02.png

this art style is the only comic style i prefer Sally in, makes her look amazing imo

my pet peeves is Sonic fans that complain about everything, and classic game elitists.

i have a lot of peeves, but i can't recall them right now.