Aero

Sonic-related pet peeves?

It always confused me as to why that Madeline Schroeder lady said Sonic "originally had fangs" in that documentary. With all the early sketches and concept art of Sonic they've shown, literally none of them had fangs.

He had fangs in the Sonic Manga released to tie in with it (which had a lot of scrapped concepts) so it's not completely out of nowhere.

If there's another little peeve I have, it's how insanely difficult it apparently is to get Darkspine Sonic's design right in fanart. A 100% accurate art of this form is amazingly rare and the vast majority of Darkspine art either gets much of his design aspects wrong or misses them out. Like how his quills aren't drawn correctly, resembling normal form's quills instead of how they really are. They're actually considerably different and are attached to his head differently;

darkspinespine-1.pngdarkspine.png

He also has no mouth at all and doesn't wear shoes, socks or gloves.

thank you

i just hate when an artist uses the whole "its my style, my rules" when drawing official things, unless its exaggerated to meet with their style, but simply drawing something wrong and not admitting it is probably one of my biggest pet peeves as an artist with a terrible eye for perfection and detail...

i've just thought of another major hate that stops me hanging around public art sites in the sonic fandom

i'm not sure how to pinpoint it, but its a certain crowd of people IN the fandom that pisses me off, and its the one's with scene sonic fan characters that all look the fucking same

big tits

big hair

rainbow colours

over amount of piercings

and they seem to BAND together as some sort of cult, they all type with lower casing and small letters, use the same text smilies and have a thing for making "femboy couples" (a femboy is a boy that dresses, looks and acts like a girl btw) and it just irritates me how much attention they get, how samey they are and they all eventually gather to my page and like it because its "dark and sexy"

then i see them make characters based off mine and simply discard their mains and i get idiots come to my page saying i've copied them and their art for attention... even with time stamps on my work dating back to 2006-2008

fucking morons.

more of a personal dislike towards the artist side of the sonic fandom....

Hate hate HATE Sonic characters with messed up proportions in fanart. Bip hips, huge eyes, big boobs, tall or muscular...just annoys me. And yeah, that was very common in the Archie comics back in the day. Thank God they don't do that anymore! Just looking back on those issues and seeing that "art"...*shudder* And those images a few pages back...Knuckles what have they done to you?! DX

Oh, and you know I mentioned how I can't stand ridiculous couples in the Sonic fandom? Well I also can't stand it when the fans of these couples say there's definite proof in a Sonic game that these characters care for each other. For example;

ShadAmy fangirl: OMG you can totally tell they love each other because in SA2 when Amy hugged Shadow, he didn't mind at all! He really does care about Amy yaaaay!

NOOOOOO! It's even worse when they try to prove that there's gay tension between characters in a game! Yeah right, SEGA would never make Sonic, Knuckles or any other character gay!

Edited by Gabz Girl

Hate hate HATE Sonic characters with messed up proportions in fanart. Bip hips, huge eyes, big boobs, tall or muscular...just annoys me

i honestly dislike people who think just because its sonic, it has to be drawn canonically

if everyone drew like SEGA or Archie, it would be the most boring franchise for an artist ever.

yeah that's true, my art as an example is the combination of graphic novel gritty-ness with the basic frame of a sonic character, and when i draw canon characters, they come out as much more serious as i tend to draw them with my spin of their persona on my mind

i don't deviate far from the basic's of a character i'm drawing i.e. sonic still has 7 quills, blue and conjoined eyes, i do however exaggerate his slenderness, height, quill size/length/sharpness and i tend to draw him in my own designed attire for him (normally new shoes and slightly different gloves)

but i'm babbling on, on the bottom line, if everyone drew the same, i'd have no interest in being an artist, period.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people say disliking SonicXShadow is homophobic.

I don't find it the least bit homophobic, since, you know, both of them are 100% straight?

And personally I really don't mind shipping (hell I've always been a closet Sonamy and Taieam supporter). Shipping is cool just as long as the pairing makes sense.

For example:

Sonamy: This makes sense because Amy loves sonic and while sonic isn't the least bit interested in a relationship, he has shown in some games that he somewhat cares for her. And one could make the argument that sonic secretly does return Amy's feelings, but doesn't admit it because Eggman could find out about it, thus putting Amy's life at risk. But overall the Sonamy pairing makes sense.

Knuxouge: This obviously makes sense, because Sega confirmed that Knuckles and Rouge like each other but they are both to stubborn to admit it.

So overall if somebody decides to support a pairing whether it's offficial (Sonally), or has official content from the series, such as how certain characters act around one another (Silvaze), to support the pairing then the coupling is good.

I really don't mind some of the couples that don't make sense (OmegaXBlaze, EggmanXAnybody) if their done for the lulz. It's when people take these pairings seriously is when I get irked by it. For instance:

Sonouge: Sonic barely even interacts with rouge. Besides, Sega confirmed that she likes Knuckles anyway.

Every single Yaoi and Yuri couple: No explanation needed.

So as I said before, I do not mind shipping at all. Just make sure the couple you support makes sense at least.

I honestly don't see the general problem with shipping. It's a fun thing for some people, so let them have their fun. The pairing doesn't even have to make sense as long as they're fully aware it would never happen in the games regardless of whether they want them to or not. We do all sorts of things here on this board that we know won't likely ever happen (although it's fair to say we have some influence at least), but that doesn't stop us from having fun with the ideas we come up with.

Now people who take it a whole extra mile and make a big fanboyish deal about it? Yeah, that's a problem. I mean they don't do it for fun, they do it because they think that's how it should be for whatever reason, or blow up in someone's face for not liking the pairing like the Sonadow pairing. Those people can kindly fuck off.

Are they? Neither one's really shown any romantic interest in anyone in the games, except maybe some hints at Sonic and Amy (even then, that doesn't exclude him being bisexual). The only reason we have to say they're 100% straight is because we know Sega/Sonic Team wouldn't have the balls to go through with it.

Are they? Neither one's really shown any romantic interest in anyone in the games, except maybe some hints at Sonic and Amy (even then, that doesn't exclude him being bisexual). The only reason we have to say they're 100% straight is because we know Sega/Sonic Team wouldn't have the balls to go through with it.

As much as I love "the boost" in the newest Sonic games, I think that there's too much. I love the speed, but I have a horrible habit of just holding down the boost button and winning it just by boosting all the way or boosting through most of the level. (kind of a cheap win ^.^; As it is very fun to be super fast, it gets kinda repetitive and boring sometimes)

Another one, is that I think there is too many humans.(Humans that really dont acknowledge the fact that talking blue hedgehog wearing big bright shoes and gloves just said "sup bro!" To them. That makes me giggle) Sonic is a little talking blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound, and he's hanging out with a bunch of humans. Hehehe. I would love to see him explore a completely new world in the games that doesn't resemble real life destinations, attractions, or the terrain on Earth...Well at least some interesting additions that you really wouldn't see every day x3

Edited by xTrickyWolfy

Another one, is that I think there is too many humans.(Humans that really dont acknowledge the fact that talking blue hedgehog wearing big bright shoes and gloves just said "sup bro!" To them. That makes me giggle) Sonic is a little talking blue hedgehog that can run at the speed of sound, and he's hanging out with a bunch of humans.

Ain't nothing wrong with humans...

Now what we really need is more anthro NPCs.

I don't mind humans in some cases, I personally like that Sonic isn't afraid to 'hang out' with normal people despite how famous he is in his world. It shows that he's not some sort of elitist who will only hang out with anthros like himself.

Slightly unrelated, yet related, is that I despise it when people will call any old game prototype a 'beta'. I'm not an expert on game development, but I know enough to understand that a beta is a late prototype, where virtually everything is finished, and is sent to game testers so that any bugs can be identified. Anything before this is an alpha.

The Simon Wai prototype of Sonic 2 is obviously an alpha. Not all levels from the final are implemented, most that are implemented are half-finished, and it contains several levels not present in the final version. And yet it's referred to constantly as a beta. If the Simon Wai prototype was sent to game testers they'd turn their noses up at it. In fact, I've even seen the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade prototype and even Sonic Crackers been referred to as 'Betas' before. Sometimes the Nick Arcade sonic 2 alpha is called an "Early Beta". Sonic 2 Beta 4 is the 'Early' beta. Sonic 2 Nick Arcade is an early Alpha, or Pre-Alpha.

"Betas" are common. They shouldn't get hyped up about because all they are, are slightly buggier versions of the final game. They should only be hyped up about if they're a "beta" for an unreleased game.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when I hear people say that Classic Sonic had "an attitude"? It annoys me no end when I hear Sonic haters say this. The only real personality trait we know about Classic Sonic is that he's impatient, and has a "get it done now" persona. The whole idea that Classic Sonic is some sarcastic, joke-cracking jerk stems from all the western localisation and media, such as the cartoons. In the games, Sonic never displayed such an attitude until Sonic Adventure, and yet, even though this is when his 'attitude' became a part of him in the games, people always associate Sonic having an 'attitude' in the Mega Drive days, and that it's something he's "lost" in the transition to 3D games, and yet the 3D games are the only games where he's at all displayed any signs of it. By the same token I dislike it when I hear people insist that Eggman/Robotnik has to be called Robotnik, and start fights over a name. They're going to have to realise that no one calls him that anymore. Never do I hear "Why does everyone call him Bowser? He's King Koopa and you know it!" or something like that.

In the same way, however, I'm not too keen on the people who insist that the Japanese storylines are any more correct. Now, I do believe that the Sonic games take place on earth (and hence the classics take place on South, West Side and Angel island respectively.) but that's because that's where the later games are set. Basically, This is what I believe happened in the Mega Drive Sonic games:

- Anything that is mentioned in both the Japanese and Western Manuals

- Anything that happens directly in the game itself

- Anything that is backed up, or referenced, in later games.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike most of the non-japanese designs. The Japanese artwork for the mega Drive games were often sketched by the game's sprite artist (and then professionally drawn by someone else) so they look more or less like how they do in the game. I will not deny the fact that Sonic's localisation in the west helped the games to sell, but if something is merely made for something to sell and was not part of the development teams' intent, then it should be forgotten once it's lost its relevance.

Having Sonic's mouth roughly centered for talking but more off to the side for a smirk or whatnot is kinda tricky, one way or another that's going to be stretching and compressing curved polygonal surfaces and it's really easy to end up with artifacts as a result. You can do it, it's just hard. My guess is that they spent so long getting his face as good as it was they got so used to it anything else looked off.

donno if this has been mentioned, i skim read.... but it really annoys me when EVERY time that we get BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY vids for an unreleased sonic game, the person playing it ALWAYS sucks sleep.png i wouldnt mind so much but it seems that nearly always, that SAME person then goes on about how terrible the game is because its waaaaay to complicated.... i get a feeling most of these people never played a platformer before..