Aero

Sonic-related pet peeves?

CGI sequences.

I get why these used to be common (and still are actually), but I hate them. Because they NEVER EVER seem to make the pre-rendered CGI even remotely match the style of the in-game graphics, causing a weird hiccup in style. Not talking graphical quality here, rather art-styles. Sonic 06 is probably the biggest offender here with the game basically having a completely different design for Sonic when you compare the CGI model vs the in-game one. But games like Shadow the Hedgehog also falls flat since they made the CGI very realistic in style and detail only to have the actual game look more like Sonic Heroes (which actually DID have matching a CGI art-style.) with it's bright colours and shiny-shiny things.

Oh, and I also hate that Perfect Chaos doesn't look liket he cool Chaos stuck in a building from the CGI version in EITHER of the fights be it Sonic Adventure or Sonic Generations. DISAPPOINTED.

p_chaos.jpegPerfect+Chaos.JPG13Ld104e8.png

Is it really that hard to get him to look right? Really?

Edited by Tobbii

In Generations's case, they took creative liberties with Perfect Chaos's design in order to 'modernize' him or something, but I also heard that the Generations design was based on the original concept design of Perfect Chaos, though I don't know if that's true.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir

In Generations's case, they took creative liberties with Perfect Chaos's design in order to 'modernize' him or something, but I also heard that the Generations design was based on the original concept design of Perfect Chaos, though I don't know if that's true.

I've heard that as well, and I don't believe a second of it. Something like "That design was not possible with the technology at the time" which is complete bull.

- The misconception that Amy's stomach has a tan marking on it identical to Sonic's. It doesn't. It's entirely pink.

- Nitpicky but Sonic character's hands being referred to as "paws" in fanfiction. No they are not paws. They are fuctionally human hands and not even vaguely paw-like.

- Sonic's quills in AoStH/SatAM. They look like a punkish mohican. Also, Sonic's quills in X because there's only 3 of them and they make the back of his head look weird.

- Sonic's evil-looking form in episode 67 of X being called 'Dark Super Sonic' like it's his official name when he doesn't have a name. Or at least one that hasn't been announced yet. Not likely that this form will ever get a name.

- People who say that everything and I mean everything about Werehog form is nonsensical and outlandish and something Sonic Team pulled out of their asses. BULL. One very established aspect of Sonic is his ability to change form through energy absorption. If Werehog form is outlandish because of the mechanisms behind it then so are Sonic's many forms in Colours because they go by exactly identical mechanics. A Wisp enters Sonic's body and he uses it's Hyper-Go-On power to change form? Exactly identical to a piece of Dark Gaia entering Sonic's body and changing his form.

- Ryan Drummond fanatics who say that you're violating their right to opinion when you merely say that their rabid demands for Drummon to be re-hired are misguided. There is a difference between an opinion and a desire that has no chance in hell of ever being fulfilled.

- Tails' near-criminal underutilization in SatAM. AoStH didn't have much in common at all with the games either yet it still gave Tails a heck load more respect and screentime than SatAM ever did.

- The way Sonic didn't even comfort Tails in episode 78 of Sonic X when he breaks down over Cosmo's demise yet he can comfort, hug and soothe Chris in the likes of episodes 26 and 51. I don't think that Tails' state of mind in that scene justifies Sonic's actions.

One of my pet peeves is when people bash Archie Sonic before they have even read a single issue.

Another one is the people who start crap over things like Sonic having green eyes.

And my biggest pet peeve are the people who think that every character other then Sonic and Robotnik should be killed off.

And my biggest pet peeve are the people who think that every character other then Sonic and Robotnik should be killed off.

Woah, that one is new. I've only heard people wanting them forgotten and left out, not canonically killed off. D:

when people claim that classic sonic is the god of the sonic franchise, I mean seriously people treat him like he is god and modern sonic like he is the devil *coughepicknightofjusticecough*, there both the same charecter maybe I don't get because i didn't really "grow up" with him but I think people need to chill.

Edited by 1991boy

Woah, that one is new. I've only heard people wanting them forgotten and left out, not canonically killed off. D:

I've been saying kill off everyone but Sonic and Eggman for a long time here...but only because people want to be jerks to the modern characters. So I'll be a jerk to the classic ones too. :P

It actually bugs me a bit when people say Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 have 'aged really badly'. Pesonally, I can't see it, myself. Admittedly, maybe that's just a case of playing them so much over the years that I'm used to and overlook their flaws, but still, I just can't see it. Maybe a little, but still.

There are more recent games (Heroes being a big example) that I think have aged much worse. SA1 and 2 are the ones I'll go back to once in a while and replay, Heroes, Shadow and a few others, I haven't played properly in years. There has to be something about the Adventure games that keeps me coming back beyond nostalgia.

I'll admit parts of them have aged terribly; it boggles the mind how people didn't rip SA1 to shreds back in the day for Big's gameplay, and to a lesser extent Amy's. Maybe my view is somewhat skewed because I'm basing it largely on Sonic's story, which is basically the best part of the game.

While it's easy to argue that the Adventure games have aged badly now, I do think this sentiment has helped lead way to a lot of exaggeration about just how terrible they are as well as a lot of bullshitting about how they were actually never good to begin with. The hype, the praise, the scores, the public's affinity for them; this stuff is out there, and to instead denote that the games are directly responsible for the series' slump, and that Sonic Team were idiotic for making games people actually liked playing and enjoyed is some pretty blatant revisionism, roughly on par with that one industry fellow saying S3&K was actually the start of the series' downfall.

- The misconception that Amy's stomach has a tan marking on it identical to Sonic's. It doesn't. It's entirely pink.

This! This so badly. I love Amy's character design and it annoys the hell out of me that there are so few amazing pieces of fanart of her in alternative outfits that portray her correctly.

Sonic X all but confirms that she has a pink stomach, and yes, people always say "but the art in Sonic X was crap!", but even the crap episodes only mess up character designs in particular shots. In every single shot of every episode where Amy shows her stomach, she does not have a peach stomach like Sonic, and with the exception of certain things that are only relevant in a 2D art style (for example Sonic having three quills and various hair quiffs never facing straight on to the camera) the characters are always drawn on-model in terms of these sorts of details.

Also no Sonic characters have navels. The only exception you could put forward with this is Rouge, since they gave her one in her unlockable skin on Sonic Adventure 2. But honestly Rouge has so many other differences from other female Sonic characters (namely in the propotions of her limbs and how they connect to her torso) I'm not sure what to say about it. Still don't like it.

And besides it was kind of debunked by her Sonic Riders outfit actually now that I think about it.

Yes, no navels. This is a really odd thing to get peeved off about because I love midriffs on female characters, but it just looks weird on Sonic ones for some reason, so it really annoys me when they put them on official OR fan characters. The male characters don't have them, why would the females?

^ Which leads me onto another peeve of mine.

Sonic characters drawn with toes.The character design standard stipulates that the characters have no discernible digits on their feet unless they're human (Eggman), Chip/Light Gaia or a Koala (From Blaze's dimension) who appear to have a single toe. There's quite a few examples that prove that this is a staple of Sonic character design such as Big, Darkspine Sonic, Tikal, Amy and Tails.

I dunno, it just looks....off when Sonic characters have humanoid feet. It blurs that line between anthropomorphic animal and human and the toelessness looks oddly appropriate on the zany character designs. So when Archie ignore this established trait of Sonic character design, it looks damn ugly because it contrasts with the rest of the character's design so much;

01.jpg

Amy and Knuckles look like horrible freaks.

TikalProfile.jpg

Again.

I've never been a fan of the toe-less flipper feet or the perfectly realistic feet for the characters, doing my own simplified, triangular animal digits instead as some kind of middle ground. Although admittedly, the latter makes more sense to me. Why give these cartoony animal characters human hands, right down to the unorthodox edition of fingernails as Unleashed has demonstrated, and then go with plain, biologically unsound flip-flops for feet, not even taking into account that the feet are the body part these characters are most known for using anyway? It makes little sense from a design standpoint.

Regardless though, that isn't the Archie art quirk that annoys me the most, but rather the fact that the comic's original characters that aren't based on species existing in the games are distinctly more westernized and traditional than Sega's character designs are. Sally, Antoine, Bunny, Rotor, Hershey, and whomever else aren't terribly designed in and of themselves, but at the same time they're distinctly un-Sonic, and it creates this extremely odd mix of design characteristics that tends to throw me off when I see Sega's cast interacting with them. It's the same annoying feeling I get when I watch an American, Canadian, or French show desperately trying to pass itself off as anime.

One thing I've spotted about the non-game SatAM/Archie cast is that the colours tend to be all earthy and dull. Take Sonic Select #7 for example;

Ss7.jpg

I know most people on Bumbleking didn't have a problem with it, but I was in the minority who did for a specific reason; you have all these bright characters on the front, with even Geoffrey having pop because of the black/white contrast...and then you have Sally, who has like the most boring and dull shade of brown fur possible, and really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I noticed Sally's off-centered nose and terrible hands before I even noticed her coloring, but I nonetheless agree with you on that observation VEDJ-F. Also, Amy's disappearing leg, and the nagging feeling that some parts of this thing were taken from official artwork elsewhere....

Please spoiler that cover before I have an aneurysm. D:

One thing I've spotted about the non-game SatAM/Archie cast is that the colours tend to be all earthy and dull. Take Sonic Select #7 for example;

Ss7.jpg

I know most people on Bumbleking didn't have a problem with it, but I was in the minority who did for a specific reason; you have all these bright characters on the front, with even Geoffrey having pop because of the black/white contrast...and then you have Sally, who has like the most boring and dull shade of brown fur possible, and really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Maybe to fit with the atmosphere?

~ People who call Big the Cat "retarded".

~ People who get upset over the pairings of characters that other people like (This could apply to any fanbase, really).

That's all I can think of at the moment. :P

Another thing about Archie-designed females is that horrible obsession with giving them human-esque hair. No SEGA-designed anthrope has human-esque hair. Rouge's 'hair' at the bottom of her head is not defined as seperate. Marine's pigtails aren't defined as seperate hair either and the same goes for Blaze's ponytail. And Vanilla definately doesn't have hair, her head marking has just grown tufty and furry. Which makes these look like they stick out from the SEGA characters and makes them look uncanny compared to them;

131px-551521-rosemary_super.jpg75px-Megan_Acorn.jpg191px-MinaMongoose01.png122px-Fiona_Fox.JPG

Limoonteatime.jpg

And Li Moon...there was no reason to redesign her as a fox when she was clearly a Tiger.

Edited by Verte