Awoo.

What did Generations and colors story do right?

KHCast

...actually, in that regard you screwed up Sa2 a little. You didn't include the Dark side of the story or the final conflict. cool.png

Eh, final conflicts I always leave out for the others.

But on the Dark Side, your right. So SA2 is the one game that needs TWO sentences to summarize. :P

• 1 month later...

What did Colors and generation's stories do right?

1. Kept Angsty black hedgehogs out of the main plot. (I'm fully aware shadow is in generations but he doesn't play a big role.)

2. Kept it simple. It's a game about a furry little blue hedgehog fighting a mad scientist. No need to try and make it too dramatic.

3. Kept it lighhearted. It is after all a franchise with children (I'm almost 20 and I'm perfectly okay with this.) as it's main audience. We don't need death, redemption, and cursing.

Edited by SuperKing
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. Kept Angsty black hedgehogs out of the main plot. (I'm fully aware shadow is in generations but he doesn't play a big role.)

2. Kept it simple. It's a game about a furry little blue hedgehog fighting a mad scientist. No need to try and make it too dramatic.

3. Kept it lighhearted. It is after all a franchise with children (I'm almost 20 and I'm perfectly okay with this.) as it's main audience. We don't need death, redemption, and cursing.

...I like you. We should be friends.

Definitely needs to be more "Sonic, you're a dork." from Tails, more "I'm hilarious, but I'll throw down with you if I have to." from Eggman, and plenty of "LOOK HOW KEWL I AHM" from Sonic.

Of course, why do we have to go to the most extreme?

Why can't we have a lighthearted story, yet with a charming, interesting, and enjoyable plot?

Why does it have to be so painfully simple that most plot points aren't explored whatsoever and it feels like a whole chunk of it is missing, unexplained, or just plain not satisfying?

Also, if you want to keep "Angsty black hedgehogs" out of the main plot (Which Shadow hasn't been since 06 anyway) You could simply write him better, along with everything else.

Not to mention throwing away heavy-handed story elements just because it's a series about a cartoony blue hedgehog....yeah, no.

Generations' story wasn't SIMPLE; it was plain hacked apart for the sake of appearing simple, and the 3rd point is total bullshit; if shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender can be about redemption and war, AND still be able to appeal to a massive audience, why the fuck does Sonic the Hedgehog have to be so damn restricted?

I get that Sonic Team's track record for stories has generally been poor, but don't give me this "cartoony stuff MUST ONLY BE "simple" and braindead because they are cartoony" bull; it's been proven wrong so many times it's not funny.

Edited by Enigmatus

Colors had Sonic making quips... Sometimes. The comment about glowing bits strikes home, I guess. The timing was, not really there, lot of jokes fell flat. I can't imagine the game being made in Japan but written in America helping coordination in this respect. I suspect the writer wasn't really ready to write without violent humor, this was the happy tree friends guys after all.

Generations was pretty good at physical humor here and there, particularly during the classic Sonic restoration scenes. You can see it in the way he moves, "I'm not fat... Am I?"

Generations' story wasn't SIMPLE; it was plain hacked apart for the sake of appearing simple, and the 3rd point is total bullshit; if shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender can be about redemption and war, AND still be able to appeal to a massive audience, why the fuck does Sonic the Hedgehog have to be so damn restricted?

I get that Sonic Team's track record for stories has generally been poor, but don't give me this "cartoony stuff MUST ONLY BE "simple" and braindead because they are cartoony" bull; it's been proven wrong so many times it's not funny.

I just took the time to check your profile. I'm guessing I offended you. Sorry if my opinion gave you grief, but you shouldn't take it so seriously. You also shouldn't get so frustrated over this. I'm also guessing you're a MLP fan? Love and tolerance bro. smile.png

Okay, this is probably gonna be harsh as hell, because I'm rather frustrated at how close minded it is.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Like having him play a major role is automatically SUCH a bad thing.

Simple =/= good. complex =/= bad, and vice versa.

I don't see how doing anything thing more than "Blue hedgehog fights mad scientist" is some how treated as too complex for the series to do.

Do you want me to give you a list of children shows and games that have things like death and redemption and deals with darker elements?

Okay, cursing definitely wasn't necessary, but that was only in one game and was during the time Sonic Team were at their most incompetent, so you can kindly drop that.

Below are some of my sentiments concerning Sonic Generation's plot. I would also like to add how in Generations I enjoyed how Eggman actually managed to usurp the time eater rather than be usurped by it. It shattered the trend of Eggman being overshadowed by a more formidable force in very direct fashion,.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually discussions involving the plot of Sonic Generations revolve around its negative and disappointing aspects. I in no way regard Generations plot as being exceptional but I do feel often the disappointment of the game's plot hinders a proper appreciation and interest in what I feel are some of the plot's strengths. I list a couple such examples:

1.) The Progression of Sonic: ​I enjoyed how they actually made the boost a subject of plot involvement. Recall the scene when the two Sonic's are racing to the recently rejuvenated Chaos Emerald and Modern Sonic surpasses Classic Sonic when tapping in his unique ability to boost leaving Classic Sonic mesmerized. If I recall correctly, not even the Spin-Dash had that kind of plot attention to detail. Modern Sonic's ability to boost is a material instance of Sonic's physical abilities evolving over the course of history. The point is demonstrated by Modern Sonic's ability to defeat Perfect Chaos while in base form due to the Boost being able to replicate the water surface mobility of the Thunderbolt Attack from Sonic Adventure. Furthermore, Sonic developed not just in physical abilities but also in overall leadership intangibles. His coaching of Classic sonic particularly in the cut-scene leading up to the Final Boss displayed Modern Sonic's wisdom acquired steadily over the course of his many adventures.

2.) The deterioration of Eggman: The juxtaposition between Classic Eggman and Modern Eggman indicate subtly that Eggman's moral character and sanity has noticeably deteriorated over the course of time. Modern Eggman is far more domineering, insulting, impatient and overall more nasty than Classic Eggman (Robotnik). Furthermore, Robotnik's rhetorical question, "Will I really get that crazy?" as well as his quickness to resign and entertain the possibility of living a normal life as a teacher upon learning of Modern Eggman's countless failures imply initially Eggman was once more sensible and sane than he is now. As it is in the present, Eggman is irrevocably fixated on destroying Sonic and has become increasingly blinded to the light of reality as time progresses.

3.) The appreciation of Sonic by his friends: For some reason or another the fact that Sonic's friends where willing to arrange a surprise birthday party for him really resonates with me. It bespeaks the tremendous amount of love and respect Sonic has gained from his peers. This is an insight only a fan who has followed Sonic for a while can truly appreciate as such a fan can make sense of why the various characters would attend. Despite faith in Sonic being assumed throughout the series by the rest of the cast it was refreshing to see them collectively express it in such concrete fashion. Indeed, the respect which Sonic commands is so strong that Blaze is willing to transverse her dimension to celebrate Sonic's birthday. The point can be equally made with Knuckles suspending his guarding duties in view of Sonic's birthday. Within this framework, the cheering for Sonic to succeed against the two Eggmans at the games end is a lot less cheesy.

4.)Implications Of The the Opening and Ending Birthday Scenes: I Also appreciated how authentic the two birthday scenes where. Like Colors, it faithfully portrayed a sense of the day in the life of the Sonic universe. Despite not having much cross character dialogue the scene solidified and played on the roles and relationships previously established in the sonic mythos. Knuckles and Rouge still appear to have mutual interest in one another, Blaze and Cream have remained close friends, Shadow remains distant and dissimilar from the rest of the cast etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well you said it much more nicely than I did a few posts up.

Since I can't do the game over again without deleting my current file on generations, i haven't redone the story since November, so I don't remember anything about it (i know the basics [sonic has a birthday, time eater ruins it, etc.] but I dont remember specifics)

I remember Colors' being alright, minus the forced jokes. I don't want emo sonic 06 stories, but i don't want a story with jokes done like this was a Nick Jr. cartoon either.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Below are some of my sentiments concerning Sonic Generation's plot. I would also like to add how in Generations I enjoyed how Eggman actually managed to usurp the time eater rather than be usurped by it. It shattered the trend of Eggman being overshadowed by a more formidable force in very direct fashion,.

Yeah, I liked how Eggman was actually the final boss in Generations and Colours, instead of some monster of the week(but in Colours DS the mother wisp thing came out of nowhere).

Generations's story does nothing right. Colors, on the other hand, does everything right.

Colors was well written, it was funny, and even clever sometimes. It did get a bit carried away at maybe one point or another, but it was just well written. Better yet, it was basic. No plot twists, no complicated characters, just a simple alien story. One of the best plots Robotnik has done.

Generations's story does nothing right. Colors, on the other hand, does everything right.

Colors was well written, it was funny, and even clever sometimes. It did get a bit carried away at maybe one point or another, but it was just well written. Better yet, it was basic. No plot twists, no complicated characters, just a simple alien story. One of the best plots Robotnik has done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations felt slapped together in terms of story, but Colors kept it simple and sweet. Even though Colors had its cheesy story presentation at times and corny one-liners, in most places it just felt...right.

Still, I want to see a Sonic game with a deeper story next time.

• Thumbs Up 2