Awoo.

Sonic Riders 3

Segamaster

Half-assed? The cut-scene weren't perhaps at Unleashed quality, but they were a damn sight better than the robotic animation of Heroes and Shadow at the time. They did a pretty damn good job of keeping the animation interesting and varied considering most cut-scenes have the characters just standing around talking.

I meant that they were half-assed compared to the other scenes, in my opinion. The way they moved in general was too slow and, well, robotic, more like ShTH.

I just don't get why those 3 scenes were done much nicer than the regular scenes. We weren't exactly going to die for the game when we heard it was coming out, SEGA could have taken a bit more time working on the animation.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• JaidynReiman

• Dejablue

• SuperStingray

SSMB regulars - remember when there was this whole topic about this guy, "Wentos the Traveling Salesman", who claimed to have insider knowledge of SEGA? Methinks I remember seeing a part where he "reveals" the existence or plan of a Sonic Riders 3.

Here's the article on the Sonic Stadium, but I can't find the image of the thread.

Anyways, here's my take.

I love racing games, and I also love Sonic games. And so far, I've loved the Riders series, since it combines both of those. Though they did have their flaws (what game doesn't?), they were fine with me. With the exception of the story, I really liked all aspects of both games. It was fast, frantic, and I liked the gravity system in ZG, although I would like to have an attack/defend ability that only lasts for a split second at a time so you have to time it properly, adding more strategy to the game.

So I'm up for another Riders game. Hopefully, the controls will be tightened up, and the story improved. Then, no matter what, it'll most likely be a must-buy for me.

I love both of the Riders games to bits, although I think the sequel put a new spin on the gameplay rather than improved it.

If they made a third one, I'd like to see them finetune the gameplay by taking the best bits from both games and cutting out parts that didn't work so well, since both games had some good and bad points. Then all they need to do is shove in online play.

But yeah, I'll say what I said when Riders 2 was announced; if any future Riders games (if any) are even half as good as the current ones, I'm happy.

Oooooh! A Riders 3. Just the thought of it makes me gitty with joy. I loved the Riders series in it's entierty, not because the games were great, but because they had so much potential.

-Drop the story entierly

-Make the design more Sonic-y. Not exactly having green hills and springs everywhere, but more like making it colorful, expressive style, if you will.

-There needs to be more tracks and more variety, and a more odd approach to where some of the tracks take place.

-Make the gameplay more like the first Rider but with out the boost.

-Perhaps add more depth to the trick system, such as poses, more flippng directions, like barrel rolls.

-Make more interesting and interactive items. Not to the extent of Mario Kart, but at least to make them worth going for. The running power-up in ZG was a good start.

-Have more varied characters. Metal Sonic and the Chaotix are a must. Include more Sega characters as secret characters.

-Make the gears more balanced this time. Nearly half of the gears in ZG were useless, and there were a select few that were nearly unplayable.

I want a Riders 3 because I'm the only persosn on the entire planet who is intrigued by the story and isn't disgusted by the whole "alien genie" thing. The gameplay is better in Zero Gravity so one can only hope that the third game ( I bet there is going to be at least one more) has better controls. To be honest I thought the first Sonic Riders had unbearable gameplay but a funny story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUm9B8eYjo&fmt=18

Edited by Dejablue

I really don't see it happening, mostly because the storyline was pretty much wrapped up in ZG. But if it does happen, we'd have to see the following:

- Made for the current generation of systems (360 and PS3) with great graphics

- Good online play (could be it's main selling point)

- Better designed tracks

- Storyline not directly involving the Babylon Rogues. They can take part in it, but not as the focal point.

If there was a 3rd game the Babylon Rogues have to be involved. They are the whole point of the Riders series. :rolleyes:

There was something Knuckles was trying to say at the end of Zero Gravity but Amy wouldn't hush. It sounded important so this leads me to believe there will be a third and final game. I request it be on 360 or Wii.

More tracks. More unlockable gear. More guest star unlockables from other Sega games....

Edited by Dejablue

This has reminded me, I need to return to Riders ZG! I loved both of them though, the first is one of few games I have completed 100%, spending hours completing every track, every mission, buying every gear, brilliant fun! I haven't eve got all the characters on ZG, not cause I didn't love it, but got it at a busy time, writing a dissertation. Will get back to it I think, and try and fully complete it was with the first!

I rather like Wave as well.

- Scarecrow

If it must happen, the series needs some improvements. I haven't played the sequel, but I don't hear good things. I'll just input what I think should go into a good racing game that was missing from the first.

- Steering and cornering have to be precise, how will I freakin' race if my board doesn't move correctly.

- Tricking is cool, I'd like to see some variation on that without the flips being so hard to execute.

- Attacks, since this is a competitive game in a cartoony world, should be more varied. Unique attacks for characters.

- Something about the models and far away camera feels funny for a board racer, it should be closer in.

- Many many more tracks. They could use familiar Sonic locations also. Race on the ARK. Why? Because you can.

The gameplay seemed a little all or nothing, like each race was a matter of trial and error until you got it right like an A-rank speed run. The game should have more balance. Sadly, it'll probably be a rehash of what we've had before.

I'll wait another console generation for a nice Sonic racer, but I wish we'd get something like Sonic R. Even multiplayer Unleashed gameplay would be a nice substitute for that.

If there is gonna be a Sonic Riders 3 then I want a team who knows how to make racing games to make it. I think the team at SEGA who did F-Zero GX should make it, if they made it then I know for sure it would be awesome.

There was something Knuckles was trying to say at the end of Zero Gravity but Amy wouldn't hush. It sounded important so this leads me to believe there will be a third and final game. I request it be on 360 or Wii.

I'm pretty sure that was just humour, and all Knuckles was about to say is exactly what Amy interrupts him with. But don't worry, while I find it bizarre, I'm not bothered by the genie aliens thing either. What did bother me is how poorly explained it was. There were clues beforehand but the ending was just silly and lazy. Tails just explains the whole thing boringly and in plain english, and Jet apparently will miss the vastness of space... after doing one 5 minute boss battle there in a very messed up and warped area anyway. Was very dissapointed considering the quality of the cut-scenes up to then (well, just about anyway... ZG had a tendacy to have the characters stand around telling things to us rather than the writers showing us things happening - which is very bad storytelling).

I meant that they were half-assed compared to the other scenes, in my opinion. The way they moved in general was too slow and, well, robotic, more like ShTH.

I just don't get why those 3 scenes were done much nicer than the regular scenes. We weren't exactly going to die for the game when we heard it was coming out, SEGA could have taken a bit more time working on the animation.

Still don't understand at all how you found the in-game cut-scenes to be robotic but oh well. They weren't as detailed with scenery or effects as the three FMV scenes but that's because, well, they were in-game. FMV scenes are made seperately with high-powered computers then saved as movie files that the game simply plays rather than animates itself in real-time. They take a lot more time, and therefore a lot more money to make. They can't do that for the whole game really.

Edited by JezMM

lol Tails is a living encylopedia. Just ask him something. ANYTHING. He'll know the legend and everything.

I LOVED the first, but never played the second due to lack of Wii. I really wish they'd port it to PC.

But yeah, bring on a third. Character count should be doubled though. Yes, doubled. This is another one of those "the more the merrier" games. They could definitely do with Eggman Nega and Metal Sonic, and I could totally dig all of Sonic's post SA forms as unlockables.

Edited by Aquaslash

Well for a 3rd Riders I would want something unlike any racing game there is. As you know in the races there are three laps but what would be crasy along side cool would be that the laps aren't simmilar to each other all diffrent but the same lap format with diffrent hazzards. Speed of those that is almost like Unleashed and a guard feature so you can deflect attacks like Metal Sonic in SA2B multi- player. And it would be on the PS3 and 360 so the engine could handle the speed but also they can put more courses.

"If there is gonna be a Sonic Riders 3 then I want a team who knows how to make racing games to make it. I think the team at SEGA who did F-Zero GX should make it, if they made it then I know for sure it would be awesome. "

^THIS^ ;)

lol Tails is a living encylopedia. Just ask him something. ANYTHING. He'll know the legend and everything.

Lol, true, but it was stuff that JUST happened. It is still a really cheap/lazy/boring presentation of story. As I said, good stories show the audience things and let them interpret and understand them for themselves, just as the characters involved do, not just explain what happened in what should have been a cut-scene.

If I had to add characters to the game, I'd go with:

-Metal Sonic (Don't know why he isn't already.)

-Omega (Wouldn't it be awesome if his main vehicle was himself in a wheel or propeller mode like Gamma had?)

-Mephiles (He may not exist, but if it's not part of the story mode, he's still not canon anyway.)

-Shade (I'm kind of neutral on her as a character, but I think she'd look good on extreme gear.)

I like Eggman Nega, but I wouldn't include him, because he'd probably just end up as a gameplay clone of Eggman.

If I had to add characters to the game, I'd go with:

-Metal Sonic (Don't know why he isn't already.)

-Omega (Wouldn't it be awesome if his main vehicle was himself in a wheel or propeller mode like Gamma had?)

-Mephiles (He may not exist, but if it's not part of the story mode, he's still not canon anyway.)

-Shade (I'm kind of neutral on her as a character, but I think she'd look good on extreme gear.)

I like Eggman Nega, but I wouldn't include him, because he'd probably just end up as a gameplay clone of Eggman.

In Sonic Riders, everyone's a clone of everyone XD

Am I the only one who doesn't want another Sonic R?

Having them race on foot or with their natural abilities takes away all the worth of a mascot racer. There's no individuality to vehicles - hell, no vehicles AT ALL.

And Tails and Knuckles broke those stages wide open.

I'm a bit saddened many people didn't enjoy the story like I did. I found the second one pretty good, despite the gameplay a bit too on the simple side. Sonic Rider's setting is very appealing to me for some reason. XP

That said, I think you don't doubt that I'm really in favour for a next instalment.

I would like to see the best bits of 1 and 2 for example the air tank from 1 and the zero gravity from 2.

Also if they were to make a third then I hope they make a good plot this time and add a lot more commonly known characters instead of more new ones to add.

Speaking of characters, if they do make another one, please, for the love of god, don't jerk us around with a pair of fucking generic-ass filler robots.

Once is a disappointment, twice is inexcusable, three times is fucking bullshit. You want to make some filler robot to pad out the story races and also let the player use it? Fine. But don't waste two fucking spots on it.

What is everyone getting about Sonic Riders "ending things" plot-wise? It didn't really sound like it at all to me. In fact, Sonic very much indicates a continuation in his speech at the end of the Heroes Story.

Frankly, I think there will be AT LEAST one more Sonic Riders game, in which they conclude the Sonic Riders trilogy (which does not mean the death of the Babylon Rogues, either) and after that, if they do well in it to make the gameplay decent enough, they'll make it a regular occurrence like Mario Kart just adding more characters and making new stages around. Probably no more Story Mode after this point, but maybe they'll mix in a story anyway.

Oh, and definitely DROP the generic robots and Sega cameo characters. I don't want them in any more. The max I wouldn't mind seeing is NiGHTS. Otherwise, get rid of them and replace them with Chaotix, kthnx? And then add new characters on top of it. (Replace the robots with Omega and Metal Sonic.)

I'd like to see a Sonic Riders with a decent story, that is to say I'd like it to focus on the Babylon Rogues.

The first Riders was pretty awesome; I really like the characters....and the story was so so...but then in Sonic Riders 2 they go and screw it up with alien BS and start saying that instead of genies the babylonians are aliens or alien genies or some crap.

I don't see why they need to bone it up with alien junk all the time, genies was just fine.

Anyways - the gameplay seems fine with what they are doing already - I'd like to see the story revolve around the 'Rouges, afterall they are theives, and that can make for fun times. I'd like to see a story that doesn't have Sonic or his "team" in it. I kind of view the "extreme gear" thing as a sort of "scene" or sporting event in Sonic's world.

This is my idea for a story;

I'd like to see a story where Sonic doesn't compete in this years extreme gear event - much to Jet's chagrin, for he wants the challenge or the bragging rights if he beats Sonic. But it would be alluded to that Sonic is in fact not competing for he is out fighting Eggman's latest scheme. There would be human racers (probably mostly generic) but there would be one human who was noteworthy; a human who got into extreme gear because he was a big fan of Sonic and wanted to emulate his speed, and extreme gear was the only way to get somewhere close to the speeds Sonic goes at. This human would look like a skater or an "extreme sports" sort of kid or teen, and he'd but heads with Jet because of his idolisation of Sonic and Jet's dislike of Sonic.

The races would take place on the island of the worlds richest millionaire entrepenorist; who is holding this years race for advertising deals, and part of the race invloves racing through his mansion towers which houses banks stocked full of his wealth - the main story would revolve around the 'Rouges competeing in the races whilst trying to look inconspicous as they devise ways to break into the millionaires vaults and steal his riches all the while during mid-race.

Thats my half-assed idea anyways. I like it because it displays aspects of Sonic's world without Sonic - adding some depth to the world in showing not all things revolve around Sonic and Eggmans fights, that a story can be told of a simple racing event or some theivery.

Other than an actual "good" story without cheap alien ideas, I'd like to see races take place in old school Sonic levels, from the classic games. But I'd still like to see the 'Rouges get their own story.

You want to make some filler robot to pad out the story races and also let the player use it? Fine. But don't waste two fucking spots on it.

That's a bit contradictory; how are they "wasting" spots by that logic? If they didn't include them, there would be two less spots, but none of them would be "wasted."

"Waste" may not be the perfect word for it, but it's kind of a ripoff to know there's two more secret characters and, not only is the first one something you don't care about, but the second is a copy of the first.

If they're going to put X characters in the game, then they should put in X characters, not X-1 and then copy one to fill the last spot.