Awoo.

Corporations can Sue the Government...

SenEDDtor Missile

and much more.

http://www.thenation.com/article/168627/nafta-steroids

I have a very limited understanding of politics, agreements, and all that stuff. But from what I understand of this, this "trade agreement", called the Trans Pacific Partnership, if it successfully passes, can:

• Limits government regulations on various things, including healthcare, food safety, natural resources, etc.
  • Corporations can sue governments outside of their domestic court system if they suspect that their profits are being stopped or regulated
  • Governments can be forced to pay infinite amounts of fines due to the above mentioned.
  • HUMAN RIGHTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS CAN BASICALLY BE IGNORED/CHALLENGED.
  • If this thing is completed, it strong arms every other country into adopting these laws or else the other countries get
  • Congress, the public and the press were completely locked out of this agreement; no documents, no leaks (until recently).

BASICALLY PUT, this thing gets passed, Corporations get to sue government and get indefinite amounts of cash in fines from them if they suspect that the government is trying to regulate them in anyway shape or form. Other countries are forced to adopt this into law unless they want to get screwed over, AND Corporations can basically ignore human rights, environmental conditions, and there will be ALMOST NO REGULATION ON THINGS SUCH AS HEALTHCARE, FOOD SAFETY, and etc.

This is not good would be such a giant understatement it's not even funny (which it isn't).

http://tpp2012.com/ for petition and more info.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• turbojet

• SenEDDtor Missile

• ---

Popular Days

Yeah, not really worried about this. Considering that I doubt this passes, even if this did pass they'd need a lot of pull to get the government to comply.

And this is coming from someone who's an amateur at best on politics.

Not that the possibility exists that this isn't a very bad thing, but...

New Zealand has apparently been a part of this for over 6 years now. That article seems to imply that the sky would fucking fall for any country stupid enough to get involved with this. So I guess what I'm asking is... has the sky fallen for people living in New Zealand?

And as turbojet said above, corporations have always been able to sue the government. They've even always been able to sue the government over regulations and the like.

Edited by Gilda

Anybody can sue the government. Doesn't mean you will win. It is the equivalent of trying to fight a shark under water.

More like trying to fight a genetically-enhanced super shark with lasers attached to it underwater in the middle of the ocean.

At least that's my take.

Jeez the world is truly going to crap, the apocolypse is nigh.

The apocalypse is always nigh. It's been nigh for ages, and it'll still be nigh in ages to come. That's why you gotta keep your biblical revelations vague; so you can upset people no matter the century happy.png Yoke's on us, then.

Anyway, this isn't as portentous as it seems. Most major corporations are already in bed with their respective governments, and have little to gain by upsetting their own food chains. The smaller corporations don't stand a snowballs's chance in hell.