Awoo.

Staff Feedback!

Roarey Raccoon

I love all of you.

That's all I have to say, I really haven't got a problem with anyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wanted to be constructive, but I literally can't think of a single instance in which I believe staff has made a mistake, even a minor one. I don't feel like I have to walk on eggshells around staff, nor do I feel like the boundaries of any discussion have been so constrained as to make chatting it up a miserable experience. So yeah, my SSMB life is good. Keep up the good work, guys.

• Thumbs Up 8

At the risk of sounding like an echo, I have to agree. The staff are fucking awesome! You can't improve on perfection!!

DiZnEy was considerate of my PD thread of my mental issues and closed it when I asked. He showed worry when I felt I was annoying to all that visit.

When I first came here, Sean helped me with my naivety of forum etiquette, helped me gain some common sense that my history did not permit, approved revealing my backstory of why I play video games competitively and even drew a pic for me of my characters Yasura Mayugumo and Yonryu.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think they're all big mean poopy heads, especially that Wolfy guy...He just angers up my blood so much! (only joking :V)

Outside of that...there isn't really anything to complain about or anything. The mods all handle their duties well, dealing with dumb threads quickly and stepping in when discussions begin to reach any dangerous boiling point, and none of them ever gave me the impression that I couldn't approach them if I had any concerns or anything that I wanted to talk about.

So yeah, they're doing a great job and should keep it up.

Well in my experiences other then a few grouchy moments they are pretty on the spot and quick at things. My only small nitpick is some of them could really be just a tad nicer about things (I think some of the cussing makes it out to be worse then what they mean, that is the conclusion I came up with)

Like something as simple as "Hey, that kind of post is not allowed here, perhaps you should pay more attention to the rules or pinned topics or come to us about it first, just a heads up." Kinda sounds like "Nope, don't think so buddy. There is clearly a pinned topic that you need to pay more ******* attention to."

See the difference? I do. (And that based on a few things I saw here, those are not exact quotes but some words were right from a few of them, just a example)

But other then that this place has a pretty awesome staff, a surprisingly amazing admin and pretty good members although I must say it does get hard to fit in.

Edited by Shadon
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think Roarz needs to be a bit less harsh on himself, even if he's doing it jokingly. Other than that, no complaints.

Except... It's a bit sad that most of the staff seem to be so busy modding that they don't seem to post much. I'm not saying there should be a mandated posts per day or any bullshit like that, it'd just be nice to see more of you lot about. :)

• Thumbs Up 4

The only slightly negative thing I could possibly think of is that I rarely see some of the mods doing mod-ly things, though that's probably on account of those whores Sean and Carbo stealing the limelight

But yeah you dudes are pretty super duper

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that for the most part, the staff is doing a good job. It's great that they aren't pushovers and actually enforce the rules so that this place won't end up being a pile a crap, but sometimes, how they go about enforcing the rules may not be the best way, in my opinion. I know moderating a forum can be a real handful (especially when it's Sonic fans, so I really commend the staff), but personally, I feel that sometimes, members on staff can have a bit of a condescending tone with members. I'm not talking about any experiences I personally had with staff (I've been a bit of a shithead in the past, which was immature on my part and completely my fault), but rather observations I've seen with other members, old or new. Sometimes members get out of hand, and you need to be stern with them, but in my opinion, I think it may be best to stay as professional as possible, no matter how silly a member can be.

You can be stern without coming across as borderline insulting, too. I know this may not be the intention of staff members, but seeing as forums are text-based, it can be easy for members to get the wrong idea with something a staff member may post. On any forum, you're gonna have members that will break the rules, sometimes even unintentionally. And on a big forum like this, it's almost a given, but I still feel like you should try and be as patient as possible. Like I said before, staff should be stern with members, but I feel that no matter how many times they continue doing something that puts them in the wrong, you should never respond with things like "cut your shitty attitude" or "enough with your fucking bullshit", or things like that. But again, this is all just a matter of opinion, and I'm in no way trying to insult any member on staff or trying to tell them how they should do their job. I may not agree with how some staff members handle things sometimes, but I can honestly say that there is not one staff member that I dislike. Regular members, sure, but no staff members. tongue.png

I agree completely, a petty insult can transform a very legitimate point into a very derogatory one, and that extremely influences the user's interpretation of not only the mod, but the forum in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now now, we don't make it a point to insult members. We never have, and we know far better than to do that. This is never our intent when cursing.

That said, I do agree that it has it's time and place, and I know that Sean has been making it a point for him to swear a lot less when warning throughout the months. Frankly I think it'd be pretty fucking ridiculous if we were fully able to quell our idiosyncrasies when casual use is widespread enough as is (for me personally it's using shit as a nondescript noun), but we do try to stay professional, and in the cases we let words flow through in mod related actions, I believe it was Roarey who once said that sometimes it gets the point across a lot more when otherwise our warnings fall on deaf ears despite us having a vast vocabulary to work with.

I don't think it's something we'll ever get rid of entirely but it is something we try to keep a lid on lest shit really hits the fan.

I've been here for 7 years, and there's not much to say with how bad you guys are doing as of yet.

It's kinda hard to point out anything wrong, so keep up the good work.

I literally have no complaints! Well, I do think some of you could maybe tone down the harsh cursing and telling off. But other than that, the staff has been awesome. =P

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 4

For the most part I have no problem with the staff, the cursing in telling-offs is indeed a bit much as others have said though I have never had anything to do with it so it's not affected me.

Something I would like to bring up is that on a couple of instances (one of which was aimed at me and my topic) I have witnessed a phrase used by Carbo which he calls "backseat mod". As an example, my sonic 4 pc help and support topic was set up to aid people having technical issues with the game in some way. I stated in the opening post that talk of piracy(this was at the time of the steam leak) and links related to it would not be accepted. Carbo had this to say:

"What are you, a backseat mod?

Until the game officially comes out, this topic is going under a lock. This topic is setting up leeway for conditions to permit access to a version of the game that's incomplete, that we're not supposed to have and that is currently illegally obtained."

Now don't get me wrong I'm sure he meant not disrespect with this but I found it to be a rather rude way to voice his concern. I can only assume "backseat mod" means I'm seemingly too big for my boots which I don't think is fair considering I was purely respecting forum rules. Also I clearly said I wouldn't accept piracy so no leeway was there and at the time was NOT illegally obtained and sega themselves even confirmed on the sega forums that users who got the game did so by legit methods and yes I did indeed pay for the game.I would like to point out he never did remove the lock despite saying it was until the game's release.

If other users feel I am in the wrong them feel free to tell me . Here is a link to the topic if Roarz or anyone else needs to see it:

I think the Mods aren't doing what they're suppost to. Sometimes they can be very rude to others. Even the newbies that don't know anything about the site yet.

They tell us not to do things... with attitude. Ex. "Um.... Who the F*ck are you and get off the site." <-- Something like that.

I will say that I think the moderators need to ensure they don't show bias for/against members, especially when the squabble between two members is really a non-issue. By all means if there is one member being really mean to others unprovoked there is reasoning there, but when it's two members who are disputing something, sides shouldn't be taken.

I was in a dispute with a member about a month ago over something, and I had a moderator "take sides" against me (even though the other member had taken to speaking about me negatively when I didn't do anything of the sort to warrant that). To me, it felt like it was purely because the other member was "more established" on the forum that sides were taken, and I think that sort of thing needs to be watched out for.

• Thumbs Up 7

I will say that I think the moderators need to ensure they don't show bias for/against members, especially when the squabble between two members is really a non-issue. By all means if there is one member being really mean to others unprovoked there is reasoning there, but when it's two members who are disputing something, sides shouldn't be taken.

I was in a dispute with a member about a month ago over something, and I had a moderator "take sides" against me (even though the other member had taken to speaking about me negatively when I didn't do anything of the sort to warrant that). To me, it felt like it was purely because the other member was "more established" on the forum that sides were taken, and I think that sort of thing needs to be watched out for.

I agree with this, I'm often hesitant to post something even remotely controversial (moreso in the more aggressive sections of the forum, which are generally the Sonic sections) because I'll get some more popular member lambast me and call me an idiot or something because it gets a bit of a popularity contest sometimes. It's like certain members have more priority which is kind of intimidating even for someone who's been around for a decent time like me. This sort of thing is probably what intimidates newer members too.

I'm hesitant on posting this as well for the reason outlined above, but here goes nothing.

Hence my passive aggressive general sniping in statuses, causes less problems than openly disagreeing with someone higher on the forum pecking order tongue.png

Other than that, I don't see any real major issues really.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

Changed the topic of the "no SA3 topics" thing more clearly with a bit more backbone. Hopefully that's a little more crystal clear to members. Sorry for not being so straight forward on that in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 9

I agree with this, I'm often hesitant to post something even remotely controversial (moreso in the more aggressive sections of the forum, which are generally the Sonic sections) because I'll get some more popular member lambast me and call me an idiot or something because it gets a bit of a popularity contest sometimes. It's like certain members have more priority which is kind of intimidating even for someone who's been around for a decent time like me. This sort of thing is probably what intimidates newer members too.

I'm hesitant on posting this as well for the reason outlined above, but here goes nothing.

Hence my passive aggressive general sniping in statuses, causes less problems than openly disagreeing with someone higher on the forum pecking order tongue.png

Yeah this isn't something I'm comfortable with happening, so do make sure you get in touch with myself or another admin, like Chris, if you feel staff are taking sides. I'm glad you didn't hesitate in posting, I really don't want people to feel like they better not say what they feel because they might get fucked over for it. Of course, one cannot avoid the usual rules of social interaction entirely and using discretion with voicing ones opinions is certainly advantageous. Just don't feel like you can't say what you like in case someone popular has a problem with it.

If you're looking for an issue to be concerned with, just be mindful of how inflammatory your messages are in a general sense.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have slight problem. A member who I recently joined decided to leave because they felt like couldn't express themselves. Granted this user slip a few times and was rude a few times too. Said person got a warning, which was understandable under those circumstances.

When even didn't get on ourselves. But after PM'ing each other we got to know each other better and kind of put are negativity between us, I even gave them advice about the board.

After a certain incident. However I felt their opinion was negatively rebuffed by one of mod's in a discussion thread seem it was rude only because of this member reputation. After this they decided to leave.

I feel if this hadn't of happened this member might of be able to adjust to fourm.

I feel some of the Mod's attitude don't make Newibe's welcome. I remember when I was a newibe and my reception to the fourm wasn't as hash as some of today's newibe's get.

I also find the discussion to can get too debate heavy, I feel there sometimes lacks a middle ground. One of reasons I have too posting on here as much.

Other than that, I have no problems. smile.png

Edited by BW199148