Awoo.

Staff Feedback!

Roarey Raccoon

Hm, this is probably just preaching to the choir at this point, but really, I have no issues with any of the staff members here. They all are pretty cool people, as far as I'm concerned.

I do wonder if they're starting to get sick of my "Meh's"...

Outside of being just a little harsh at times (which I can understand :P) I have no real qualms.

It seems more so that they're trying to get likes and a popular star, rather then really put emphasis on the reason the topic was locked. This doesn't happen all the time, but usually quite often.

Haha, that's something that's been happening for far, far longer than likes and popular stars have been around. I wouldn't concern myself about it, a lot of times it gives us some real

I suppose I can agree with the notion that staff should be more gentle in their wording, but honestly I think it makes them feel like, y'know, real people. They have their bad days and they might respond more angrily than usual and I kind of don't see that as -such- a bad thing. And the general bad language, I mean, it's normal. Whatever. Maybe it's not professional, but I'd rather see the staff as being just like the rest of the community than a stoic police force. Then again, I might just be out of touch because I've been around for six years, I don't know what it's like to stumble upon a staff team like this for the first time. But at any rate, if they had to, I'd rather they cut back on this sort of thing than do away with it entirely.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with this, I'm often hesitant to post something even remotely controversial (moreso in the more aggressive sections of the forum, which are generally the Sonic sections) because I'll get some more popular member lambast me and call me an idiot or something because it gets a bit of a popularity contest sometimes. It's like certain members have more priority which is kind of intimidating even for someone who's been around for a decent time like me. This sort of thing is probably what intimidates newer members too.

I'm hesitant on posting this as well for the reason outlined above, but here goes nothing.

Hence my passive aggressive general sniping in statuses, causes less problems than openly disagreeing with someone higher on the forum pecking order tongue.png

Other than that, I don't see any real major issues really.

I've never had an issue with any staff members and I've always found them to be really friendly and helpful.

Some times they can be a bit snarky in their posts to members but I've always got the impression that's it's mostly because they've already told that person to stop doing whatever they're doing and they haven't listened, which is really frustrating. I'm not saying that it's a good excuse, but it's understandable.

Eh, I don't really have any complaints. Staff members do their best and they do their job correctly and mostly in a rather unique way. They've been also kind, and really friendly and considering after the bad things I've done in the past I feel happy to have staff like these in this forum.

Personally they are all great but (not to cause any kind of jealousy or anything like that!) ^DiZnEY^, Wolfy, Pelly and Roarey are the ones I should personally thank.

I'm surprised people are bringing up members bias for older members, since that's one thing I personally don't like.

I actually have had a hell of a time finding other forums to post on because they have some form of 'post rank' based on post count or whatever....and I'm just not into that.

Not to flip the table on you guys, but I would say that making this forum welcoming to newer members is something I think a lot of people here struggle with. I've seen so many status updates and posts mocking or making fun of newer members, especially if they're from a forum that people on our forum view as bad. I remember it was especially bad when SEGA forums shut down for awhile and people were just constantly complaining about how the new members were awful/should leave/blah blah.....and though it's not as bad now I still see it pop up.

And I don't have any hard science, but from my experience behind the scenes it seems like older members actually get more strikes (not that we give out many to begin with...)

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm not saying that I'll just yell at people on the spot now, I just want everyone to realize the time and place for getting stern, and we don't do it out of hatred or anything. While I appreciate the time and effort to tell us how we're doing, I just hope some viewings in perspectives are also taking place.

Edited by Blue Blood

When you've been doing this job for a really long time, especially when we're taking up our valuable free time for this board, it gets very hard to maintain a constant nice guy image. I go out of my way to never personally insult anyone and I do consider how my actions could be read by others, especially if it comes across as mean. But that's pretty much how I decided will make people listen, considering lots generally don't.

I also don't see any bias or favoritism toward members, if anything we come down harsher on members who have been here for a while 'cause we expect them more than anyone to know how to act around here.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys do a great job. For instance, I remember several occasions of attacks from angry ex members but you guys kept it as low key as possible. In my 6 years, I have never had problems. May slightly disagree on some opinions but hey, we're human. You know you have good staff when your face lightens when they post.

I have to be honest here and actually side with you on this one. I think Sean's post was out of order, and the edits he made to your first post were done in quite rude manner. He didn't ever say "Who the fuck are you and get off the site" and come was a lot more friendly. But I dunno. That attitude was just not nice to see at all. Saying "I don't care" was rude too. New member, first post. It was clearly going to make you feel bad.

Also that SA3 topic needs it title changing. It should be "No Sonic Adventure 3 topics" or something.

>Someone joins a new community

>Very first post is a big advertisement for his own website

Yeah, I don't think some snarkiness is out of order here. Common fucking sense would dictate that this kind of behavior is a bad idea, and he really got what was coming to him.

In regards to my own opinion on the mods, I think they're all really awesome people, and do their job fantastically. Sean's warnings when I first joined definitely shaped up my bad behavior, and I haven't gotten any warnings since 2010, if memory serves. The rules basically operate on a "don't be an idiot and use your common sense" understanding, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I also really like how personable all the mods are even when performing their mod duties, as I feel it just makes the site feel more relaxed and fun.

And honestly, I like the snarkiness. It gets the message across and I've never seen it used inappropriately. It's very rare that telling someone they're a "cunt" is appropriate for the situation, but I'll be damned if a massive sexist rant doesn't warrant that. ... Oh, and it's also entertaining to read, so that's always fun.

Stay awesome, guys. No complaints here.

• Thumbs Up 7

- Am I right in saying that image macros are banned for members?

I don't want to get too much into your post and turn this into a debate, but for the most part we've let very occasional macros for members slide as well. There have been a couple points in forum history where we've cracked down on them hard, but this is usually when deemed out of control. I know many members who have slipped in an image which didn't derail the topic and didn't deter from their typically spectacular posting record.

I know this isn't as black and white as some people would like it, but I like to think the majority of rules aren't 100% this or that....it certainly makes it a lot more fun to mod when there's actual discretion involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it very easy (Or I find it fun so I think its easy) to be a mod. And me being a super mod I do much more then the normal mods and I just find it fun.

Perhaps people don't listen to you because they are not afraid of the punishment, the yelling just leads to anger, them leaving and spreading the word. Most of my past tricks worked and all were nice, only once was I "mean" but there was no cussing, and people quit and forgave eachother... But that is me, not everyone can do it so well, you need a bit of patients but in the end its worth it as nobody is angry at the end.

And speaking of the "Human" thing. When you are posting normally then fine, be normal. Be human. But when something is happening where you need to use your mod power then you are no longer a "human" but a mod that has a job to do. The president does not get mad and bomb a place then say "Oh sorry, I am human so I had a bad day, lets not start a war." No it does not work like that.

And with some of you saying "Use ******* common sense" okay explain to us, what is your common sense? Everyone has a different common sense and most forums you just post what you want then people speak about it but not here. You say use common sense but this place has different common sense then every other place I have been to.

But like the guy somewhere above me said, if a mod cant stay sane while doing the job, well then they are not good at the job and should not be a mod.

I could be mistaken, but this topic looks like it can get everyone into a peace and improve everyone on this site. Members and mods included.

Edited by Shadon

Um, what do we do if a mods sig is too big? *points at Pellys*

i honestly feel they are great Mods with a backbone, but can pass off as rude and uncalled for sometimes, i know the community here is pretty tight with the active members and all, but when a new person tries to get into the group it can get pretty ugly with the naiveness of not knowing what posts have been re-posted 100's of times, i know this must get incredibly boring and repetitive for the mod's to keep pretty much copy pasta-ing the rules and previous things said in similar topics so i do see it from their point of view. Sometimes i feel some Mod's just do it for rep fishing which is kinda stupid if you ask me.

they do their job decently, but should assert themselves and think about what they should say before outright insulting someone sometimes they forget they're replying to people, and it doesn't help when the members rep them up for being rude to another member.

apart from that, this site has one of the best and most enforced Mod roster i've ever seen on a forum, they're quick and helpful and there's always someone around.... We may not have met but i honestly feel close to some of you guys, SSMB feels like a second home to me where the guys and mods welcome you with open arms.

keep it up guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not that I can even remotely comment on this objectively (obviously), but perhaps the reason that in controversial threads mods side with the longer term members simply because they typically express themselves better then newer members do?

I mean, it isn't as if all of the long term members have signed a pact to not debate against each other (the debates in the Sonic forum being the most obvious example, but it bleeds out into other threads); nor is it like there aren't hugely high profile examples of long-term members stepping on landmines and having everyone turn against them as a result.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 7

Shadon, this topic isn't for you to lecture the staff, that goes for everybody else too. Just state what you're happy or unhappy with and leave it at that. The staff will be the ones who look over the feedback you provide and decide what to do with it.

Again, to reiterate, don't lecture the staff, it's patronizing.

Apologies, that is my version of feedback, and its hard to say what we hate/like without going into a bit of detail or using examples. For me at-least. (That, and I saw other guys doing that so I got more ideas to say, but its all to help in the end to improve so I think its worth it.)

Edited by Shadon

I probably haven't been here long enough to observe or take much note of how the staff here works their stuff, but, if they're doing their job by following the rules, enforcing the rules, and just keeping this site clean from whatever is blacklist material like a responsible staff should, then I have no problems.

Keep it up~

I think the mods should have more of a Scottish accent in their posts.

Otherwise, I think they're doing great.tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Um, what do we do if a mods sig is too big? *points at Pellys*

Edit: Whoops Blue Blood said he was saying that in jest, so I apologize to him for taking it in the wrong context....I still wanted to leave the repose up though because I hope you guys/gals keep it in mind.

You all are being given an opportunity to express yourself and maybe give some constructive feedback to the forum....

Don't waste it.

I think the mods should have more of a Scottish accent in their posts.

Scottish person named Sean dispensing justice (or shmacks in the mouth)? It will never catch on.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess a few months ago there was a tense point where everything was getting uptight but it's long gone now, I think it was during the time when The Sega Forums were down and a lot of members migrated here for a while and there was a lot of mudflinging.

But they're cool. I much rather have mods like them that are humans behind computer screens rather than some automated bot that always goes after the wrong people. I think if someone repeatedly acts like a jackoff after a fair warning or two then the staff should be justified to cuss them out and/or ban them, a certain loud admirer of a grey hedgehog comes to mind. And others that constantly act like that. Luckily they tend to stay away from this forum and I think mods are one of the main reason.

Also, most of them like TEH PONEEZ now, I guess that's a plus. Keep being awesome.