Awoo.

Staff Feedback!

Roarey Raccoon

The only staff member I have a problem with is that Abominal Taz guy. He's a Bag, of the douche variety. biggrin.png

But all jokes aside, the Mods and staff are doing their job very well. Sure there are times that I have to say "ummm..what?", but no complaints. I give every mod, (and Pelly..), and A+.

Edited by Abominal Taz

Also, most of them like TEH PONEEZ now, I guess that's a plus. Keep being awesome.

This is a bad thing. I theorize that the Brony mods are actually plotting to overthrow Dreadknux, at which point they will transform SSMB into a Pony fansite, lock up all non-bronies, and force them to either watch every episode of the show or starve to death.

...Probably.

I also wanted to mention that Sean gave me a strike for flaming a dude who was later banned. While I thought the guy deserved it, Sean told me that the flaming was uncalled for. This was a good thing, as it taught me to better respect the rules and to just bbe a better member. I think it helped keep me in line.

Edited by Dipper
  • Thumbs Up 6

There's very little to say that hasn't been said about the mods, but since this is about the staff in general, I'd like to say that in every instance I've witnessed, the admins of this site respond to glitch reports swiftly and fix the problem as soon as possible. The forum feels very much taken care of, so thanks for that.

Do our journalists count as staff?I'd like to boast about them as well.

We have some of the silliest and most effective news reporters on any Sonic fansite. Like ever.

Even articles that don't pertain to Sonic are an absolute joy to read. Mash-Up Monday is my new favorite day of the week.

Sorry if I'm stepping out of the status quo here, but our other staff needs to know how amazing they all are.

Edited by Diabetic in Sweet Mountain
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hell, I get walked on. I've always felt like that guy that not many people take to seriously because I don't bark enough.

because I don't bark enough.

bark

Haha.

I get it. BECAUSE YOU'RE WOLFY.

But seriously most of what has been said in this topic (well, most of Alexander's post really) is stuff I more or less think sometimes. It was worse back in the time of ye olde status update fiascos and people jizzing all over the place in every topic ever, but I feel that it has gotten a lot better since then. There are a couple mods who I feel can be a little overly aggressive at times but I can personally overlook it now since it seems to happen fewer times and a lot further apart which tells me I think the mods are aware of this feedback already and are working at it so w/e... I've got no beef.

However I gotta give my kudos in particular to Sean, Carbo, and my kawaii wolf-man husbando from planet Winnipeg Wolfy 'cause they're swell dudes. I've been friends with Wolfy now longer than he has been a mod and I am just so proud of him. SINGLELONETEARDOWNFACE.

Anyway... I don't usually run into any problems with the mods personally myself because I like to think I don't act like a shithead. So there's that too.

• Thumbs Up 6

Those mods, they're horrible, amirite?

I've never had a problem with the mods or admins ever. And except for the occasional step too far when telling members a certain topic isn't allowed (sometimes they can be a little harsh to newer members), they've been pretty great at dealing with problems on the board.

Now as for some of the new staff, namely the writers (actually just Hogfather), MORE MERCHKITTY.

Seriously, can a cat become a Writer for TSS?

I think that for the most part, the staff is doing a good job. It's great that they aren't pushovers and actually enforce the rules so that this place won't end up being a pile a crap, but sometimes, how they go about enforcing the rules may not be the best way, in my opinion. I know moderating a forum can be a real handful (especially when it's Sonic fans, so I really commend the staff), but personally, I feel that sometimes, members on staff can have a bit of a condescending tone with members. I'm not talking about any experiences I personally had with staff (I've been a bit of a shithead in the past, which was immature on my part and completely my fault), but rather observations I've seen with other members, old or new. Sometimes members get out of hand, and you need to be stern with them, but in my opinion, I think it may be best to stay as professional as possible, no matter how silly a member can be.

You can be stern without coming across as borderline insulting, too. I know this may not be the intention of staff members, but seeing as forums are text-based, it can be easy for members to get the wrong idea with something a staff member may post. On any forum, you're gonna have members that will break the rules, sometimes even unintentionally. And on a big forum like this, it's almost a given, but I still feel like you should try and be as patient as possible. Like I said before, staff should be stern with members, but I feel that no matter how many times they continue doing something that puts them in the wrong, you should never respond with things like "cut your shitty attitude" or "enough with your fucking bullshit", or things like that. But again, this is all just a matter of opinion, and I'm in no way trying to insult any member on staff or trying to tell them how they should do their job. I may not agree with how some staff members handle things sometimes, but I can honestly say that there is not one staff member that I dislike. Regular members, sure, but no staff members. tongue.png

You hit the nail on the head Alexander. This was bothering me even before I joined this site when I was just a lurker. Upon seeing a post by a moderator to correct or lock a topic I would think: "The mods are on point keeping things in check around here, but must they be so harsh?!" Now have any of the mods done anything to me, per se? No, not at all, as I personally never experienced any of this. But it still bothered me seeing it done to other members. It just didn't seem warranted to me, no matter how angry the member made the moderator.

they do their job decently, but should assert themselves and think about what they should say before outright insulting someone sometimes they forget they're replying to people, and it doesn't help when the members rep them up for being rude to another member.

This bothers me too, as members up-repping the correction or diss even by the moderator seems like adding fuel to the fire, like it's instigation or something to the situation, which was already handled by the mod. I don't know how to explain it really.

Aside from that, I have no complaints. From stopping flame wars to protecting us from trolls trying to spread a virus among other things, the moderating team does an excellent job keeping things in order here. I love how quick they take care of things, as disorder and chaos doesn't last around here very long. Overall our mods are cool people too, as they joke with us members, introduce fun projects for the community here to participate in, share pictures, and some of our mods are kind enough to share their awesome talents with us, whether it be art, music, or both even.

Specifically I appreciated the fact that DiZnEy made the effort to reach out and visit and welcome the new members of the forum, myself included. And I will never ever forget what Sean did for me. Some time ago I was frustrated with how things were going for me on the SSMB as I felt ignored and I was leaving. Immediately several members including a moderator responded and talked me out of it, encouraging me to keep at it and stay active on the SSMB. When saw that Sean had replied to my status, I thought I was in "trouble" for complaining. But that wasn't the case, as he mentioned that he understood my frustrations, and also gave me some very practical sugguestions to overcome them, which have worked out for me just fine. For that I thank you all very much, as looking back I would of regretted leaving this place...

So in short, overall the moderating team is awesome! Keep up the great work! smile.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I've only been here for a little under a year, but I can safely say this site has my favorite staff of moderators of any forum I've joined. Any complaint I can think of is extremely nitpicky not really a problem.

I love you guys <3

I want you inside me

• Thumbs Up 2

Now now, we don't make it a point to insult members. We never have, and we know far better than to do that. This is never our intent when cursing.

Oho do I have a tale for you:

Yeah you know what?

You're a c*nt.

orly.jpg

Deserved or not(which it was btw), it's there, I'm just Saiyan (Also this was on my birthday, 60+ likes, oh the hilarity). Also a little of this too:

One last thing I want to say, after a topic is locked, the mod who locks the topic gets it done effectively. That being said, it's unnecessary when another mod posts after the mod who locked the topic, just to say something quirky or pretty much re-state what the previous mod said.

It seems more so that they're trying to get likes and a popular star, rather then really put emphasis on the reason the topic was locked. This doesn't happen all the time, but usually quite often.

EDIT: Other than that, I think you guys are pretty cool. You do know how to come down from your high horses and converse with the commonfolk unlike other mods, that I like. You're quick to do your job, and you know a troll when you see one and even let a few very minor things slide (hey we're all human). You guys have a sense of humor as well, that I can really appreciate, and you guys sorta shaped me into a better forum member after I got outta the Sega Forums actin' like a foo'. Keep up the good work!

EDITONEMILLION: ALSO, just to point this out, I really do like how the staff let Blue Wisp come back, forgiveness and willingness to move on are very important traits that I like to see in others, +1 cool points.

Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ
  • Thumbs Up 8

I apologize for setting a bad example in that one instance and acknowledge that my emotional response made me step over my boundaries.

But I'm not going to apologize because of "it being your birthday" which you make a really good job bringing up pretty much every month with the subtlety of arial black size 72 letters. That's not a valid justification for leniency or why it's worth making a point of to this day, so if you're going to raise an issue, do it for the right reason.

EDIT: By the way, us regular staff aren't going to respond/debate in this topic anymore, so feel free to fire away with your feedback and criticism without worrying about us chiming in. I just felt the need to personally post an apology.

I apologize for setting a bad example in that one instance and acknowledge that my emotional response made me step over my boundaries.

But I'm not going to apologize because of "it being your birthday" which you make a really good job bringing up pretty much every month with the subtlety of arial black size 72 letters. That's not a valid justification for leniency or why it's worth making a point of to this day, so if you're going to raise an issue, do it for the right reason.

Umm, that wasn't why I brought it up, I brought up the birthday thing because I thought it was somewhat ironic and funny so I pointed it out, not out of butthurtery or feeling like I should have gotten special treatment (how'd you get that?) :VVV

Anyway it's cool.

Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ

If you're going make a pillow with that post, I'm going to print it out and frame it. =3

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the mods. I think you guys are doing great. wink.png

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

Hey SS gave props to you guys! thats cool to take some time away from the Retro forum upgrading to drop by and give thanks.

The only recent compliant I have had is how the Generations Mods topic was handled, I honestly believed something else could've been worked out other than just outright closing it and the "new" solution isn't working out because no modder is making a topic and thus killed all discussion about Generations modding save for short status updates.

But other then that, You guys are doing good you've helped me out at times and I know when you guys are just joking around or are in SRS BISNES mode (Retro's mods are pretty much the same way). You've put me in my place more then once but never striked me for it so I say thank you to that. Over at Retro I'm pretty much 1 strike away from a perma-ban (and its entirely my fault for each strike I screwed up and deserved it) so I have to pretty much walk on eggshells there but I never get that feeling here its a nice place to just chill and forget your IRL problems for awhile.

Keep it up and forgive me for all the times I was bossy or backseated modded in a topic, I used to be a mod once as well so it never does leave your system even when your just a normie.

• Thumbs Up 4

Keep it up and forgive me for all the times I was bossy or backseated modded in a topic, I used to be a mod once as well so it never does leave your system even when your just a normie.

I hear you on that note brotherino. I've gotten used to being a member after a while.

Yeah I'm doing my best to not let my old bossy attitude get in the way anymore but it does leak out sometimes.

But for the times I did do that Sean could've easy just went "you know what? fuck you! striked." but he was beyond patient with me and only warned me and for that I thank him personally, we don't see eye-to-eye allot but I do have respect for a dude who has got patience like a saint when it comes to a stressful and volunteer job like this.

Edited by goku262002

Personally, I think things can go smoother with some more patience in the mods.

Like said before, the way the mod topic was handled was inappropriate. With patience, and perhaps some specific rules, I think the mod topic would've been just fine.

Then again I've also had some good moments with the mods, which are specifically when a mod thoroughly explains the problem, without letting his/her frustrations or emotions cloud their judgement.

Edited by The True BlackHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2

You were a mod once goku? o.o

Not here of course, I have been at other places though like I'm sure many others have. Besides, Watching you all must require daily visits to a psychologist so no way I would ever take up such a stressfull duty here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I think things can go smoother with some more patience in the mods.

Like said before, the way the mod topic was handled was inappropriate. With patience, and perhaps some specific rules, I think the mod topic would've been just fine.

Then again I've also had some good moments with the mods, which are specifically when a mod thoroughly explains the problem, without letting his/her frustrations or emotions cloud their judgement.

This is very true and I guess the point I was trying to get across.

The idea of a "moderator" is a person who can be objective regardless of the situation, a mediator, if you will. It's certainly not an easy job to do, to be able to look at a situation with an open mind, but it's a very respectable thing to be able to accomplish.

• Thumbs Up 2

Do our journalists count as staff?I'd like to boast about them as well.

We have some of the silliest and most effective news reporters on any Sonic fansite. Like ever.

Even articles that don't pertain to Sonic are an absolute joy to read. Mash-Up Monday is my new favorite day of the week.

Sorry if I'm stepping out of the status quo here, but our other staff needs to know how amazing they all are.

tumblr_m4xn85uNZT1qj3ir1.gif

LOVE YOU TOO, MAN

LOVE YOU TOO

(seriously, that means a LOT to me <3)

As to the mods, I'm proud of the guys (and gals) taking time out of their day to help run the forum and keep this place in check. You're all doing a great job! Keep it up, SSMB Staff!

• Thumbs Up 5

I can't help but wonder what it would be like if the foot was on the other shoe. Y'know? What do the staff consider to be an ideal member? lol

I'm just thinking out loud...although in the current format, "thinking out loud" would be impossible as I am typing this. To think out loud, I would be speaking and the people around me would be thinking I'm weird...although that would explain why they're all staring at me...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, one would assume the "ideal member" would be one that follows the rules. But then if every single person followed every single rule to the letter, there would be no need for moderators.

I have no complaints, I think the Staff are doing a great job except maybe some of you could decrease/tone down on the harsh/snarky replies when posting/closing topics, it's a little bit too much sometimes,including the attitude towards some new members. I understand that it gets annoying when you have to repeatedly explain things but I think it would make members get the message to ring and stay in their heads if you talk to them a bit more so things can go more smoother and calm but that's just how I see it. Other than that I think the staff are doing a great job, I have no problems with the mods, they've done a brilliant job it's great to see them help on the fourm, adding fun articles to the site and also bonding with other members during free time, Well done to the SMMB Staff! keep up the good work! smile.png

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 4

The only thing that ever bothers me, is that snarkiness when closing topics, while often valid, I always fear will go right over the head of some people and not be appreciated by those who were enjoying the topic.

I always thought it might be... well, boring but also useful to close every topic with a mandatory bolded sentence such as, well for example:

(Assume this is a topic where people have been arguing and been warned multiple times).

Or another common one:

(Thread about Sonic Adventure 3).

(Although the thread in question is not an idiot-proof explaination anyway).

I know it's kinda bleh and overly formal but I think considering the majority of locked topics are caused by idiocy of some capacity, you... kinda do need to talk to them like they're idiots so the message is crystal clear. The mods would just have to promise to control themselves and not be snarky in the "Thread Locked" explaination even when getting weary of having to post the same explaination again and again... Lol.

Just... yeah it's an idea.

In general the staff here are all totally radical dudes and I hate to stifle creativity like this but I think it would aid those who don't get sarcasm or wit.

While I agree that snarkiness should be left out because it could go over some people's heads, my reason is mainly because it makes the one saying it look like a butthole who doesn't deserve the power they have. Leave douchebag forum commoner talk out of moderating, it's a position of authority, be professional about it, learn to bite your tongue or at least try to do so. I understand that we're all human so they're bound to slip, but at least TRY and be cool and professional is what I'm saying.

well hello thar.

I say I have to agree with other members. It might not be my place to say, but honestly, I've seen this for a time coming. There's kind of a 'holier than thou' attitude. I know it wasn't intentional either - because I've done the same thing. When mods get super close, they joke around and often jokes can come off as mean. Especially when you're trying to close a thread with some sort of joke that may fall flat.

Right now, there's like this super-power group that makes members feel, well, not important. And I acknowledge this isn't the first time either. I know the mods are here to enjoy themselves too, but their bustling around the forum is too loud to ignore at times. Members are more sensitive to their comments than other members. The mods have dictated rules right (albeit not always worded right) and been there when time has needed, but it seems like a cool kids crowd rather than a mod group at times.

*flails arms* YESSSS. PREACH. Edited by OneDoesNotSimplySuperJXJ