Awoo.

What did you think about Shadow The Hedgehog?

Black Hedgehog

What you mean we want the 'silly kid version of Sonic'? You mean the classics? The games that made Sonic so popular in the first place? I have a huge feeling that you're lying.

im not lying....you think i am because you are getting it all wrong. im not offending ANY version of sonic. im just saying. he overloaded on the "fun ness" and little kids began to pour in. thats all im saying. i love the classic's .one of the best games ever. you are just getting me wrong. he was really meant for teens.

The game? Pretty mediocre-bad.

The character? Fantastic. He's by far my favourite character in the entire series. He has by far the most interesting character development, very good design, interesting personality.

I hope they start using him more. He's still very popular, and could be revived.

i agree with you absolutely. :D

I don't recall any interview with Yuji Naka where he states that he desires the games to become darker and edgier or appealing to an older demographic. I can recall an interview with Takashi Iizuka where he states that he gave Shadow a gun because people fanboys asked for it.

im not lying....you think i am because you are getting it all wrong. im not offending ANY version of sonic. im just saying. he overloaded on the "fun ness" and little kids began to pour in. thats all im saying. i love the classic's .one of the best games ever. you are just getting me wrong. he was really meant for teens.

A cartoon Hedgehog meant for Teens? Riiiiight....

Sonic was meant to be an edgier, cooler alternative to Mario, but that doesn't mean he was meant to be faux-mature trash like ShtH.

• Thumbs Up 2

no, but serious. that was just ONE of what SEGA was trying to get at. thats like saying Pixar and Disney is all about toy movies because they were involved with the 3 toy story movies. you arent being fair.

Could you actually answer what was put to you instead of responding with something that has nothing to do with the question.

I didn't ask you anything about Pixar, Disney, or toy story..

You said...

yugi said that his biggest regret what just what you noted, sonic being silly and all that. he just wanted to make sonic fun. but he overloaded on it, and now people think he isnt even that strong. all he does is run fast. originally, sonic was really for teenagers. and yugi didnt like the fact that little kids were becoming more and more fans of it. thats why he made shadow to change it all. but turns out you want the silly little kid version of sonic and not on what yugi wanted in the 1st place. i understand why you dont like it, but this is what the sonic franchise was supposed to be like.

I want to know the source of this information.

If this was said by Sega, or Yuji Naka, please provide a source to it, or just admit that you made it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sorry, but I can't even make sense of what you're talking about anymore.

what the sonic franchise, (what that guy was thinking) was that its all about guns and amours and aliens. that was just ONE of what SEGA wanted to do. they wouldnt do they every game. in fact, shadow wasnt even going to be bothered with his past, and he destroyed all the GUN stuff, and he killed all the aliens. so why would the next game be about it? that was just one thing SEGA was getting at.

So, I took the time to read the last four pages starting from the point of the merge (which just so happened to be after my last post here. I have never wanted to bash my head so hard on my desk, but I'm not gonna humor anyone here with that.

Thank goodness I read the OP's age...although somehow that just doesn't make me feel any better.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

.....We just couldn't let this thread stay dead could we? Goddamn it!!!

Someone (Iju) made a different thread today and it got merged with this one.

I doubt that lji will answer Hogfather's question about the source of the information or admit making it up. Shame.

As for the general topic, I like the game quite a bit. It has a charm to it, and I like the core gameplay. Except with bazookas, I never have a problem with the gun-aiming. Yeah, the game has its flaws, but I like most of the missions of each level, and for me, the chaos moves never get old.

However, one complaint I have about the game is 'the doom' This level is supposed to be the most pivital moment of Shadow's life. When he loses his beloved Maria. It should be the most memoral level of the game, and one of the best levels. Instead, it's a maze that irratate a lot of players, and all the drama, the defining moment of Shadow's life is overshadowed by the level design. This is a shame as well.

I thought the game was horrendous at one point; played the PS2 version after being hyped up for it and was more or less disappointed sad.png. Crappy controls, horrendous camera, terrible fame rate and lack of shafting with the guns made me hate the game. A few years past, loaned a copy from a friend, and liked it. I got over the controls, the camera and had no slowdown (i borrowed the GC version). I loved the music, liked the overall level design for MOST of the stages (ARK levels..... Just, why sonic team sad.png) and really enjoyed the level verity and dark twists on classic sonic tropes. It is a flawed, mediocre game but it undeniably has its pros and ultimately, is a better game than 06.

I view it as an abomination and a game that had a lot of potential but was dragged down by tight schedules and laziness on the dev team's part.

We did not need aliens; I would have preferred to find out more about Shadow's abilities. Heck, on that note, I would have liked for guns to be ditched in favor of such wonders as skewering enemies with a chaos spear. (06 did this and it was one of the things I liked about it) The guy can fire lightning out of his hands, why does he need a gun?

Swearing was gratuitous and unnecessary. Even Sonic swore. Their use of damn and hell was almost as obnoxious as San Andreas' usage of fuck. Just because censorship is less tight doesn't mean you -have- to exploit it.

It was also the first game of the 4Kids cast. No Shadow except David Humphrey's is adequate for me. The rest all sound far too angry, depressed, or creepy.

Let us not mention the fact the plot lines do not always line up. The President is killed... and next cutscene is shown getting out of his escape pod. You can always pull something out like "It was a backup escape pod," but seriously.

Overall if the game had more time and effort put into it, I think it could have been good. Until then, I'm always debating whether I dislike it or 06 more. Both named after a character, both quite excellent at butchering a character.

Not sure if this has been brought up before or not but

http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/654/654750p1.html

GameSpy: Out of all the characters currently in the Sonic story, why did you choose to focus on Shadow for a new game?

Yuji Naka: When we took a look at which Sonic characters were popular among fans, Shadow was ranked right behind Sonic. We've also wanted to do a "gun action" game for a while now, and he seemed to be the best fit for that idea. He and Sonic have a very different identity, after all. Finally, as we've been building the Sonic brand, we've had ideas of doing a spin-off series, so perhaps that's what Shadow will lead to.

GameSpy: Shadow's always been portrayed as a character who can't be defined as wholly good or wholly evil. We've seen that during the game the player can do actions which affect which alignment he leans towards. How does this affect the progression of the story and gameplay?

Yuji Naka: In all the stages, Shadow can complete missions for either the dark or the light side. So depending on the player's actions, the story will change and new stages will open up. We've seen before that Shadow is looking for a reason for his existence, so Shadow the Hedgehog is all about giving you the opportunity to find that reason for him.

GameSpy: Many people were initially surprised to see Shadow with a weapon, which is unusual for the Sonic series. Why did you decide to give Shadow the ability to bear arms?

Yuji Naka: Well, there have been some shooting sequences in the Sonic Adventure games before, but they've been more "stand-and-shoot" style bits. We really wanted to challenge ourselves and do a high-speed gun action game. We decided that Shadow would be the perfect venue by which to try our hand at this genre.

Doesn't mention anything about being geared towards teens or because he thought Sonic was too kiddy. They just wanted to make a high speed action game and it got....outta hand....

Further evidence that those in power can have just as ridiculous ideas as those who aren't. :V

Seriously, guns? C'mon. The whole point of superheroes is they don't need guns like the pathetic normal folk.

And I say it again. Chaos Spear. Chaos Blast. Chaos Control. Shadow has -plenty- of ways to maim and kill you without resorting to... *shudder* firearms.

On that note, Shadow's game could have been used to delve further into Chaos energy and what it is. How did Gerald manage to infuse his "son" with its power? How did he finally perfect a creature that could use the power yet not be horribly deformed?

While some backstory is given in manuals and such (like where the name "Project Shadow" originates from), there's plenty of room for expansion. And SEGA forfeited it for...

...Aliens. Why. :c

Not sure if this has been brought up before or not but

http://xbox.gamespy....4/654750p1.html

Doesn't mention anything about being geared towards teens or because he thought Sonic was too kiddy. They just wanted to make a high speed action game and it got....outta hand....

...Or it's gameplay could have been better. I feel that if Sonic Team would have had a control set-up simaler to the Ratchet and Clank tittles with the movement cabablitys from the speed levels of SA2 the game would have been much stronger. The level design wasn't the issue; the gameplay was and it brought the whole game down.

Edited by RK64

Further evidence that those in power can have just as ridiculous ideas as those who aren't. :V

Seriously, guns? C'mon. The whole point of superheroes is they don't need guns like the pathetic normal folk.

And I say it again. Chaos Spear. Chaos Blast. Chaos Control. Shadow has -plenty- of ways to maim and kill you without resorting to... *shudder* firearms.

On that note, Shadow's game could have been used to delve further into Chaos energy and what it is. How did Gerald manage to infuse his "son" with its power? How did he finally perfect a creature that could use the power yet not be horribly deformed?

While some backstory is given in manuals and such (like where the name "Project Shadow" originates from), there's plenty of room for expansion. And SEGA forfeited it for...

...Aliens. Why. :c

Shadow getting guns and vehicles makes more sense when coupled with Yuji's recent statement about how developers should have the freedom to take on newer IPs rather than making continuous sequels for one.

Getting a high speed 3rd person shooter/3D platformer hybrid sounds really good on paper, and in that gamespy interview, he admitted that they wanted to make such a game for awhile now, but were restricted primarily to make more Sonic games. Giving Shadow firearms was the best way they could channel their desire to make such a game, and it really makes you think more about their alternate gameplay gimmicks and how they would've fared by shelving Sonic and making more original titles.

Edited by T-Man

Honestly, the only gun I would allow Shadow to have would be a sniper rifle just so he could reach out and touch an enemy from a few miles away. And that's only to be funny.

...I know, not the best sense of humor. :P

For the record, though, giving Shadow high-speed projectile weaponry and giving him real-life firearms are two completely different things. As soon as they made the decision that Shadow should use handguns and assault rifles, the idea went completely down south.

True. Like I said, it would have been interesting for Sonic Team to create a high speed 3D shooter/platformer as its own IP without having to realize the concept in the form of giving Shadow realistic guns. Technically there were some outlandish and fantastical ones in the game such as the ones in the Shadow crates or any of the Black Arms ones, but that's besides the point.

Sonic is and always will be cooler than Shadow to me. With Shadow they were desperately trying to make him cool by giving him all those stupid gimmicks, like guns and "swearing", vehicles and an insanely convoluted grimdark past, but to Sonic it just comes naturally... cool.png

Edited by -The Joker-

Sonic is and always will be cooler than Shadow to me. With Shadow they were desperately trying to make him cool by giving him all those stupid gimmicks, like guns and "swearing", vehicles and an insanely convoluted grimdark past, but to Sonic it just comes naturally... cool.png

Until Sonic stops acting like a narmy dork as he's been in Colors and Generations, I'm not giving him any cool points either.

He's still entertaining tho.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

I definitely agree that Sonic was over the top in some ways in colors, but I thought he was alright in Generations. Off hand, I can't recall any moments where he was silly....Maybe a little bit before facing the time eater.

To any lurkers on this board thinking about making your first post, word of advice:

(First post! ^.*)

Most people (Sonic fans) I meet say the game can challenge '06 in suckage. But I think it's a very good game, after all. When people say they hate it I, curious, ask why. All they say that the game had "bad controls this" and "bad camera" that. But that's not what makes a game bad. Heck, if that's what all '06 had, I'd gladly play it. But another reason why people say it's bad is because "Shadow's voice had horrible acting". I DO admit that the acting WAS bad, but come on, this was Jason's first try! And I remember Jason saying he didn't even like the voice he sounded like. SEGA told him to sound that way. (TRUE!) Another reason people poke out is "Shadow had, like, a lot of endings! We didn't know which one was canon!" But all of them were canon, and it just made Shadow all the more awesome and interesting. Come on, Shadow revealing that he is a planet buster is so awesome! But I digress....I'm not talking about what makes a game bad anyway.

Just what is it that makes Sonic fans hate Shadow the hedgehog?

Overall, as I've said before, I find the game great. As a matter of fact, I came across by accident an article all about it, and this guy was basically praising the game, practically making an altar to Shadow and worshiping his awesomeness.* And I quite agreed with him. SEGA was trying to make the game to get a more mature audience (I'll find the link somewhere) and, at the same time, tried to explain why Shadow is himself (NOT emo!) and all. It worked with me. Watching the game, (Because I never got around to doing it) made me kinda proud I was a fan of him.

But most of the best epic pics of Shadow are from his game. (TRUE!) But I digress..(AGAIN! ARGGG!) what I think is good about this game is:

1. It uncovers his unknown past before.

Shadow comes to realize that he knows nothing about his past, and neither do we. (I think SEGA did that on purpose. Shadow uncovers his past, and so do we, pretty unique!) Then this guy who looks like Darth Vader upgraded by ten thousand comes and bribes Shadow if he does something for him, he'll give him his past. Then Shadow runs around and realizes there is an android! (*GASP!) Is he the one? Was the real Shadow....dead? Really, this stuff is interesting.

2. More epicness of Shadow than SA2 and Heroes combined.

In his intro, he does things we never even thought possible. "Chaos Blast!" 0.o What...is Chaos Blast? Just the awesomeness you can do in the game too! It completely annihilates everything! Super fun and powerful! Then, we have more of what Chaos control can do, (Stopping time! Flying at uncountable speeds ahead of levels! Oh yeah! Shadow kicked away his flying boots and and flies with Chaos powers!!!!!) Then he also has epicness of using guns!

And he's not shabby at it, either!

3. It shows us Shadow's "eyes."

Not literally! What I mean is that the characters are very (Even Sonic) annoying. Talking WAY too much, and we finally realize how annoying they are to Shadow and how he can't stand Sonic. (Sonic is my favorite character, but I like seeing how each character is to each other in their own view. I wish they would do this again!) Sonic and his friends treat him like he's an idiot, and some of the ways he just doesn't talk to them are hilarious!

4. OMG! SHADOW IS RELATED WITH SOMEONE?! (Or somebodies)

Shadow is a creation, we know this. But hold on. He has a relation with someone?! BLACK DOOM IS HIS FATHER?! I swear, that's worse than Trunks figuring out his father is a Sayain that hates his guts. But it makes it all the more interesting! Shadow technically isn't even a real hedgehog! He's an alien! How cool! This unraveling is just really exciting! (I know this is really supposed to be in the "1" isle, but I wanted this to be another topic.)

5. Epic lines.

We know Sonic has said some pretty cool and funny things, but Shadow (being his rival and all) even rivals that. "Death to all that oppose me!" "I am the ultimate life form!" Even his own way of saying "Chaos Control" is cool.

6. His awesomeness is immortal.

I mean this 2 ways.

1. His awesomeness is never dying and will be noted forever (Year 21,999: "Hey remember that cool guy, Shadow the Hedgehog?)

2. He really is immortal. Well, with all that epicness flowing within him, you wouldn't think it would all be wasted by his being mortal, would you? XD

I'm not sure if this impresses you, but the fact of beings being immortal has always interested me. I just love the word, and the meaning of it. And the fact that one of my favorite characters is immortal? -.- MY MINE IS BLOWN.

So there are my reasons of Shadow the Hedgehog being good. Why do you think that he sucks, or why do you agree with me? Hope you post below, thanks for reading anyway, if you don't!

P.S. FACT: Hedgehogs are NOT rodents. Thought I would just say that to people who think they are.

BYES!

*(http://www.screwatta...shadow-hedgehog)

^

I

I

Don't do that.

Look, as a character, I like Shadow. Or, more accurately, as much as I should despise him, I can't. You have to be a hardcore Shadow fanboy to declare that it's a great game, while totally acknowledging that you're ignoring the myriad gameplay flaws, because it makes him look "badass" if you're 11 years old and think that saying the word "damn" is edgy.

Edited by Blackthorne

Until Sonic stops acting like a narmy dork as he's been in Colors and Generations, I'm not giving him any cool points either.

He's still entertaining tho.

A lot of the Sonic characters have a huge wash of "Meh" to me these days.

Edited by Marco