Awoo.

What did you think about Shadow The Hedgehog?

Black Hedgehog

I thought it was an abomination that was truly the start of sonics decline in quality. But hey, it's better than 06.

• Thumbs Up 1

"I'd hate to piss off G.U.N."

He says it in the level right after going the hero path on the first stage. What exactly triggers it, I don't remember.

Wait, actually, maybe that was one that they decided to omit... I know for a fact that he says "damn" though, if you let the alien ship get away.

Edited by Jayhawker30

I found it was a pretty enjoyable game when I played it. The whole 'dark', 'mature' and 'serious' stuff Sonic Team tried to do never really bothered me. There was a few levels which I remember were enjoyable; Cryptic Castle, Digital Circuit, Sky Troops usually because the missions weren't entirely tedious, were fairly fast paced and there was plenty of re-playability and some room for exploration. Cosmic Fall had expansive platforming sections too. Although, the rest of the levels are either ok, 'meh', or crap (particularly the ARK levels).

Barring the story, I still think this game plays (a little) better than Heroes imo. The controls felt a little tighter, it did away with the annoying team gimmick and dealing with enemies with massive health bars wasn't a complete chore. All of that said. I would never recommend this game to anyone except die hard Shadow fans, I'd explain why, but plenty of others in this thread have explained the bad points clearly enough. And trying to would just sound repetitious to anyone reading this thread.

"I'd hate to piss off G.U.N."

He says it in the level right after going the hero path on the first stage. What exactly triggers it, I don't remember.

Wait, actually, maybe that was one that they decided to omit... I know for a fact that he says "damn" though, if you let the alien ship get away.

I remember reading from wikipedia and Sonic News Network that ShTH had a bunch omitted lines and scenes, but neither provide any kind of source.

I, personally, enjoyed the game for it's branching story line. I thought it was a nice change from the regular sonic formula; on a smaller note, I really liked how bad-ass shadow was made out to be. I mean, you cannot argue with the opening cinematic.

Oh, I can argue with it. I can argue a lot with it. For one thing the badass factor is so amazingly over the top, it's comical. In fact, if they had just given Shadow a leather jacket and some sunglasses, I'd say it was one of the best pieces of "so bad it's good" pieces of media I'd ever seen.

Beyond that, there's barely any color besides black and red. The environments look like someone built some sort of device to suck all the fun out of the world and make it everything boring and depressing. And the aliens look like they're from some third rate Halo knockoff. It's like Iizuka walked into a five dollar bin at Gamestop, pulled out a random shovelware PS2 FPS, and said "let's make it look this!"

Not to mention Sonic dying (or something) as Shadow stands triumphant. It's like watching some random deviantART kid's awful fanfiction in motion. The baltant pandering is just so, so bad.

But hey, ya like what ya like, so don't let us haters stop ya. smile.png

I remember reading from wikipedia and Sonic News Network that ShTH had a bunch omitted lines and scenes, but neither provide any kind of source.

I guess that makes me doubly sourceless. :B

I don't get why some people pair Shadow the Hedgehog with '06 (and I am not talking just about this thread). '06 is terrible, we all know that and we all accept it. But the Shadow game is liked by a fair number of people. Even if you don't like the Shadow game, it's an unfair and overall stupid opinion that Shadow was a problem in '06. Some blame Shadow for the problems that Silver caused. Silver was a monumentally big problem that was coupled by other monumentally big problems that don't include Shadow.

That being said, I did like Shadow the Hedgehog. It did have its problems, but these problems are not game-breaking. It was an enjoyable experience for me. I really wish Sega would start working with Shadow again outside of a guest appearance. In Sonic Adventure 2 elements (and a few Shadow the Hedgehog elements), of course.

Edited by UltDevilDoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't get why some people pair Shadow the Hedgehog with '06 (and I am not talking just about this thread). '06 is terrible, we all know that and we all accept it. But the Shadow game is liked by a fair number of people.
'06 is liked by a fair number of people. Doesn't mean it isn't shit.

Even if you don't like the Shadow game, it's an unfair and overall stupid opinion that Shadow was a problem in '06.
Everything was a problem in '06. It's not stupid or unfair to acknowledge this.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't get why some people pair Shadow the Hedgehog with '06 (and I am not talking just about this thread).

People pair Shadow with 06 because those two games signify the downfall of the series. Now why Shadow didn't do as much damage to the series as 06 did, it still did a crapload.

Now my thoughts on Shadow. Why it is a pretty bad game (certainly not the worst, though) and it had a terrible concept, I still managed to have some fun with it. While Shadow is my favorite character and I was hyped leading up to the game's release, I still hated the guns. Like, guns? In a Sonic game? That made absolutely no sense to me. That still didn't stop me from getting excited, and of course, I ended up disappointed. The story was balls, the gameplay (to an extent) was balls, the voices (once again, to an extent) were balls, etc. Pretty much, the game is balls. Besides the glaring flaws, I had fun while playing it. While I hated the guns, I did have fun blasting people and aliens with them. The "DAMNS!" never got old and I laughed every time I heard someone yell it.

So while the game sucks, I had some fun with it, and I did like the whole "Be good or be bad" deal they had going.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't get why some people pair Shadow the Hedgehog with '06 (and I am not talking just about this thread).

People pair ShtH with STH '06 because ShtH was the exact point in time where it became obvious that not a damned person involved with the franchise knew what they were doing anymore and that it was in a death spiral; and STH '06 was the exact point in time where Sega realized that same thing. ShtH was the thing that should have made someone (anyone) take a breath and think for a second. The only problem being that it took one more game for that to happen. On a technical level, ShtH is a much better game, in the sense that it actually works. On a conceptual level, it is just as bad.

Hence, Unleashed coming out 2 years later with what is a near-reboot conceptually.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 3

Like, guns? In a Sonic game? That made absolutely no sense to me.

It's not a Sonic game, it's a Shadow game. He was most likely going to get his own series if the game did well. Using the "This shouldn't be in a Sonic game." doesn't work here. It's not a Sonic game.

It's not a Sonic game, it's a Shadow game. He was most likely going to get his own series if the game did well. Using the "This shouldn't be in a Sonic game." doesn't work here. It's not a Sonic game.

Oh please. What is this? 2005 again?

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 6

You play as a small anthropomorphic hedgehog who runs really fast, spin jumps, spin dashes, homing attacks, and tackles all sorts of platforming challenges. Sounds like a Sonic game to me. Especially as Sonic himself and his friends are in, further tying it in.

The guns and vehicles are kind of the gimmick of the game, most akin to the wisps in Colours I guess unless someone can come up with a better comparison.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh please. What is this? 2005 again?

What is this? A thread on the Shadow the Hedgehog video game. Obviously we're going to discuss things like that.

You play as a small anthropomorphic hedgehog who runs really fast, spin jumps, spin dashes, homing attacks, and tackles all sorts of platforming challenges. Sounds like a Sonic game to me. Especially as Sonic himself and his friends are in, further tying it in.

The guns and vehicles are kind of the gimmick of the game, most akin to the wisps in Colours I guess unless someone can come up with a better comparison.

A game that features Sonic characters doesn't make it a Sonic game. Shadow the Hedgehog also introduced several new characters. It was trying to be its own thing, but without being too drastic.

Everything was a problem in '06. It's not stupid or unfair to acknowledge this.

You always seem to be the negative one.

There is a very long list of things wrong with '06. While one of the biggest and most hated problems is the character control scheme, that does not mean the characters themselves are the problem (save Silver).

Edited by UltDevilDoom

What is this? A thread on the Shadow the Hedgehog video game. Obviously we're going to discuss things like that.

Okay. So explain to me how we all jumped into a DeLorean and traveled back in time far enough that "It's not really a Sonic game, so saying it should have guns is invalid as a criticism" suddenly becomes something that people can even pretend is a valid rebuttal.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 2

...but it's still not a "Sonic" game however you spin it. Granted the gameplay does kind of suck and is in the same universe, it's a Shadow game, the main character in the game is Shadow, therefore making it a -Shadow- game though in the -Sonic- franchise.
  • Thumbs Up 1

As soon as I reread my post after I clicked post, someone was gonna bring it up. It IS a Sonic game, there's no denying that. Its apart of the Sonic series. Saying it isn't a Sonic game, is like saying Luigi's Mansion isn't a Mario game. It might be completely different then the other games in the series, but its still apart of it.

It is a Sonic game. It's a part of the Sonic series, it has Sonic and all his friends in it so it's a Sonic game.

...but it's still not a "Sonic" game however you spin it. Granted the gameplay does kind of suck and is in the same universe, it's a Shadow game, the main character in the game is Shadow, therefore making it a -Shadow- game though in the -Sonic- franchise.

If you had said this about something like Tails Adventure which really doesn't play much like a Sonic game, then maybe, but Shadow plays a hell of a lot like other Sonic games, especially Heroes.

And right there:

-Sonic- franchise.

Is exactly why that ridiculous pedantry holds no more weight now than it did when was thrown around when people were taking issue with the general concept of the game 8 years ago.

Edited by Gilda

As soon as I reread my post after I clicked post, someone was gonna bring it up. It IS a Sonic game, there's no denying that. Its apart of the Sonic series. Saying it isn't a Sonic game, is like saying Luigi's Mansion isn't a Mario game. It might be completely different then the other games in the series, but its still apart of it.

Ummm...Luigi's Mansion ISN'T a Mario game...but this is probably gonna get nowhere >3>