Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Tron 2 Scores a Big One

Rarely will you see me getting all wacky about soundtrack news, but this sounds like such a cool idea that I had to geek out about here.

According to Upcoming Film Scores (I know, they've got a blog for everything these days) the French electronica/dance group Daft Punk (who, for those who appreciate the finer things in electronic music, are at the high end of badassedness) will be writing the entire original score for Disney's upcoming sequel Tron 2.0. This is the musical equivalent of Robert Downey Jr being cast as Tony Stark; it's just so right, that it's hard to believe there was ever any other option.

I was a big fan of the Tron film/tied-in products as a kid, teenager and now. I even bought that mediocre Tron 2.0 game that came out a few years back. Paid full gorram price for it. Should have looked for the video game equivalent of Spill somewhere before I made that financial transaction. Still, I remain jubilant. The teaser trailer that leaked out from Comic Con 2008 caused me to get tingly in places I'm uncomfortable discussing publicly. Maybe I should see a doctor about that.

The sequel is due is 2011 and until then, I'll be looking for an emulator online to play the Tron arcade game. Yeah, that's right I said looking online. Hell, I pumped enough quarters into that motherfrakker in 1982 to pay for the damn thing. Somebody owes me a little free retro nostalgia.

Wow, Daft Punk doing music for this? Sounds cool since it fits.

New Photos from H2 Set

No Apatow for GhostBusters 3

First Showing reports that despite rumors circulating the internet that director Judd Apatow has signed on for Ghostbusters 3, Columbia Pictures President Doug Belgrad said it's not true.

When asked about the movie itself, which is rumored to be in pre-production, Belgrad says, "Judging from the frenzy [online], there still seems to be plenty of interest in the idea of doing another film, so we're certainly taking that as a good sign."

"The Office" writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky are reportedly working on a script for the series' third installment.

So I guess it is a good thing he isn't involved, correct?

• Thumbs Up 1

Daft Punk composing for Tron 2? There has literally never been a better suited pair of musician and film.

The Terminator Salvation trailer is up.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/terminator...tml?showVideo=1

I think it looks great!

Public Enemies trailer is also up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BawY4gjAdM

That looks fantastic, and the music isn't half bad either. Another Depp classic in the making?

Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter featurette...

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watch...hter-featurette

That looks so good, just how I imagined it. :D

Disney has confirmed High School Musical 4, but with a different cast. No surprise they would make a fourth one given the popularity of the franchise.

Damn, ya think 3 would be enough? Ya know what's also sad? My 21 year old brother (yes I kid you not, he's 21) actually likes the High School Musical franchise. But he was disappointed with the third after he saw it in the theatre.

Star Trek prequel comic ("Countdown"), two issues in and it's pretty good... it details Future Spock, Nero and Data.

Issue 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MFY0GN06

Issue 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BQV2QMAD

New Star Trek Trailer

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/05/mus...star-trek-hits/

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=53507

George Miller Making Mad Max 4 as Anime

So here's how the career of Australian director George Miller goes. He starts out in 1979 directing Mad Max, follows it up with Mad Max 2 in 1981, follows that up with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985, then starts his downhill trend and directs The Witches of Eastwick, then in 1998 he reaches his all-time low, Babe: Pig in the City, and for his most recent film, he goes animated with Happy Feet. With all the trouble he had getting Justice League off the ground, you'd think he'd try and do something to prove himself again, but nope. Well, he did decide to make Mad Max 4, but there's a catch - it's going to be animated.

Specifically, Miller is going to make Mad Max 4 as a 3D anime. "I see myself as someone who is very curious about storytelling and all its various media," Miller told MTV. "I've always loved anime, in particular the Japanese sensibility. It's something I’ve always wanted to do." Miller is going all out, not only is he ditching the franchise's star Mel Gibson - "we'll probably go a different route" - but he's even making a video game for it at the same time. The plot is supposedly being borrowed from the original Mad Max 4 script that was written for production in 2003, but that version never happened and thus got scrapped.

"The anime is an opportunity for me to shift a little bit about what anime is doing because anime is ripe for an adjustment or sea of change," Miller attempts to explain. "It's coming in games and I believe it’s the same in anime. There's going to be a hybrid anime where it shifts more towards Western sensibilities. Akira Kurosawa was able to bridge that gap between the Japanese sensibilities and the West and make those definitive films." I don't think he has any idea what he's talking about. Okay, Kurosawa did bridge that gap beacuse he's a genius, but there is no "sea of change" coming in the anime world, as far as I know.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but this sounds like a really lazy idea to me. It just seems like George Miller didn't, or couldn't, get any live-action project made, so he decided to not only go back to his roots, but make the next sequel animated instead. Apparently this Mad Max 4 is supposedly going to be very R-rated, which doesn't exactly change my mind. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on Miller, but I really don't like the guy or any of recent ideas. I even really disliked Happy Feet, but that's a discussion for another day. But really, does anyone want to see Mad Max 4 as a 3D anime? Anyone?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/05/laz...-anime-instead/

Oh shit, another High School Musical movie?! I'm getting sick and tired of that franchise, it feels like it will never die... T.T

It's taking advantage of a gap in the market, the kind that'll go away in a few years. It's just one of those passing fads.

Sorry for 2X post.

David Wain to Direct Little Fockers

MTV recently sat down with Role Models director David Wain and asked him about what could be his next project: Little Fockers.

After avoiding a definite answer, Wain finally said, "Discussions are being had."

Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro and Owen Wilson are all in negotiations to take on their Focker roles once again.

John Hamburg, screenwriter of Along Came Polly and upcoming Paul Rudd-Jason Segel comedy I Love You, Man, is penning the script for the third Focker installation about new dad (Stiller) in various awkward situations with his kid(s).

Wow, wild antics with children, who hasn't heard that before? Eh, whatever.

Rogen Talks About Green Hornet Release Date and More.

Coming Soon reports that while in Australia to promote Monsters vs. Aliens, Seth Rogen also gave "The Jono & Dano Show" updates on The Green Hornet.

Rogen told the radio show that Columbia Pictures plans to begin filming in June and that the film will be a non-traditional origin story.

The Green Hornet, which will be directed by Michel Gondry, is scheduled to hit theaters on June 25th, 2010.

Edited by AdventChild

Sorry for 3x post

T:RotF Spoilers By Michael Bay

Seibertron.com reports today that Michael Bay has spilled a few more cool beans on the main villain of the Transformers, Megatron. This information comes following yesterdays unveiling that Hugo Weaving will return to his role as Megatron Leader of the Decepticons in the upcoming summer blockbuster Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

Here's what he has to say on his forum:

"Okay cat is out of the bag. Megatron is back ---- but you will only get to see him from the long lost past. We go way back in time as this movie explains the mythology of the Primes. He is not a tank like everyone suggests, but an alien vehicle. But sadly he does not has much screen time."

other sources: TFW2005.com

I'm personally kind of relieved. I'm bored to tears by invincible/un-killable villains (or heroes) and Transformers is known for not having any of that kind of nonsense and has been endearing and better for it. So thank you Mr. Bay and Mr. Orci. Thank you very much.

Mekklesack out!

Yup, Megatron is back only for some flashback and not enough screen time. Eh, at least he appears somewhat in the movie.

Spielberg and Jackson Team Up for Tintin

Variety reports that Steven Spielberg will wrap 32 days of filming on Tintin this week in which he will then hand the project to producer Peter Jackson.

Jackson, who is in charge of the film’s special effects, will work on the effects for 18 months.

Spielberg originally obtained the rights to Tintin in 1983, but has not felt special effects have been up to par to what was needed until he saw Jackson’s work on the Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong, which is why the two have paired up for the project.

The Tintin comic book series is about a globetrotting teenaged boy reporter. Tintin originated in Belgium over 80 years ago and remains an international hit. In the U.S., however, the character is little-known, especially among children.

While Spielberg will receive full directing credit for Tintin, it is also reported that Jackson may receive the title with the film’s next installment. Both filmmakers have signed on for a trilogy for Tintin.

Tintin was written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish and stars Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Andy Serkis and Jamie Bell.

Dakota Fanning Confirmed for New Moon

People has confirmed that actress Dakota Fanning is set to play Jane in The Twilight Saga: New Moon.

The movie will start filming in Italy this spring.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon hits theaters on November 20th, 2009.

*Snore zzzzzz, oh yeah, Dakota is going to be starring in the Twilight film, whoopie, so expect alot of tween to 16 year old girls coming to theaters and whatever. Also, it's being filmed in the spring and hits theaters in November, doesn't it sound that the productions are short length for this movie, no?

Edited by AdventChild

Yet another High School Musical film? Christ do we really need more of that shit!

Watchmen is one I am looking forward to seeing and this new featurette thing has me intrigued.

Dakota Fanning? Urgh... Not that I liked Twilight anyway but that girl is far too much.

You can't even call HSM4 a sequel because it's with a different cast with different characters. Heck, the high school is in Mexico now apparently.

Fantastic Four to Get Reboot?

The folks over at IESB have heard word that Fox's Fantastic Four may be gearing up for a reboot.

This time around the studio is reportedly looking to completely re-tool, re-cast and re-crew the franchise, which never caught on with fans, to be "less bubble gum" and follow the Iron Man template.

Oy, another reboot and trying to become Iron Man imitation meat. Doubt it could work.

Donald De Line Talks GL

Coming Soon had a chance to sit down with producer Donald De Line and asked him the question everyone really wanted to know: what is going on with Green Lantern?

De Line said that Green Lantern would be an origin story of the comic's main character, Hal Jordan, that would incorporate comedy and action alike:

"It's going to be a series of big stakes and big action, but it absolutely has a sense of humor. I think people accept real life, even with really serious situations, with humor as part of that situation, as we experience in life, you have to have that. That's how people cope, so they've done it so well in these other movies. I think that people are absolutely ready. It doesn't have to fall on one side of the fence vs. the other."

De Line was also asked to address the rumors about them deliberately going younger with Hal Jordan after Anton Yelchin allegedly auditioned for the lead role, but De Line denied the intention to cast younger: "Not really, late '20s, early '30s."

Green Lantern is set to hit theaters on December 17th, 2010

So they're trying to take a more comedic and less serious route for Green Lantern? Uh, no to me, it doesn't sound to work out very well.

Zoolander Sequel Coming Soon?

MTV sat down with Zoolander writer John Hamburg and asked what the chances were of seeing a sequel anytime soon.

Hamburg said, "Ben [stiller] and I have talked about it for a little while. I think someday we will make that movie...It’s best for sequels to wait 14-19 years. I think to catch up with two male models ten years later, there’s a lot of room for comedy."

While he offered no details about a plot or if any of the Zoolander actors were set to return to their original roles, Hamburg did drop a possible title for the film: Twolander.

Twolander? Meh, sounds lame for a title if you ask me and 14-19 years sounds a bit too long of a wait, maybe 10-13 could suffice, no?

You can't even call HSM4 a sequel because it's with a different cast with different characters. Heck, the high school is in Mexico now apparently.

Gotta love Disney's "political correctness"!

Not that I like HSM or anything like that but I find it quite sad that they are keeping the franchise name even though there will be different characters and a different school. That's bad of Disney.

Ong Bak 2 Poster

ongbak2.jpg

Shinjuku Incident Trailer

In Shinjuku Incident, Chan stars as a Chinese refugee who ends up in Tokyo and gets embroiled in the local Yakuza gang culture. In essence, it's Jackie Chan vs the Yakuza, which once you see this trailer, you'll understand how badass that is! And best of all, it looks like Jackie Chan is finally returning to form! I really miss the good old days where Chan used to be a hard-edged badass who starred in R-rated films that barely showed in US theaters (e.g. Rumble in the Bronx). Could this finally be a trip back to those days?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/08/mus...cident-trailer/

Ong Bak 2 Poster

ongbak2.jpg

...they're back to making On-Bak 2? Last I'd heard Tony Jaa had had a breakdown of some sort.

Can't smegging wait.

Ratner Says New Conan Isn't a Remake

MTV recently sat down with Rush Hour director Brett Ratner and asked him about the new Conan the Barbarian film.

Ratner, who had previously denied rumors he was attached to the remake, gushed about the new film by saying “The script is very cool, contemporary. It’s not an homage. It’s not a remake, really. It’s going back to the original source material — the mythology of the characters.”

The new Conan film currently has a 2010 release date.

Agree or you think Ratner is just talking words out of his @$$? Eh, going back to its roots sounds like a remake if you ask me.

Vin Diesel says New Riddick Movie in the Works

First Showing reports that last August, actor Vin Diesel said there would be at least two more Chronicles of Riddick movies, but until today there has been no word on the new films' updates.

Diesel recently talked about his new movie Fast & Furious, as well as the new Riddick video game, when he was asked about the new Riddick movie's progress.

The actor says, "It is underway and I almost think it's a coincidence that we haven't heard anything, that there hasn't been a lot of public stuff on the Riddick movie."

Diesel adds that David Twohy, who wrote and directed Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, is finishing up the script and once it's ready, Universal will take the next steps.

Russell Brand Talks POTC4 Role

Access Hollywood asked Russell Brand about last year's rumor that he will have a role in Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Brand says, "There's been some talk of doing a Pirates movie, but I've got eight other things to do [including] Get Him To The Greek with Judd Apatow... So I don't know if there'll be time to be a pirate, I've got enough of that in me private life."

In Get Him to the Greek, Brand is set to reprise his character Aldous Snow from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is targeting a 2012 release.

Hmm, don't know what to think of this. The 1st one was good, 2nd wasn't my cup of tea, and 3rd was okay to say the least. As for 4, if there isn't any romance involved or at least, a small dose of it and most focus on Sparrow, then I might watch it, but there's the chance it'll just suffer badly either way.

Bay Wants Welker for Soundwave in TF Movie

Coming Soon has come across a post from Michael Bay's myspace page that says he is going to pursue Frank Welker for the voice of Soundwave in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Welker was the original voice of Megatron and several other Decepticons, including Soundwave, but despite requests from fans to keep Welker as Megatron, Bay felt it was not the voice he wanted for his new Megatron and decided on Hugo Weaving for the voice.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen opens in conventional and IMAX theaters on June 24th, 2009.

...they're back to making On-Bak 2? Last I'd heard Tony Jaa had had a breakdown of some sort.

While making Ong Bak 2, Jaa went way over-budget and disappeared off into the mountains before having his breakdown. They then brought back the original director. I just hope it turns out okay, I saw a trailer a while back and it looked outstanding. If they can beat Ong Bak's continuous fight sequence and the final battle with all those broken bones, if they can beat Oldboy's infamous corridor hammer fight, they will be held aloft as the kings of martial arts films.

Princess and The Frog Release Sooner than Later

According to Variety, Disney has moved up the nationwide release of The Princess and the Frog from Christmas Day to December 11th.

Disney also announced that the movie will open exclusively in New York and Los Angeles on November 25th.

I'm kinda excited to see this. Been a long time since I've seen a 2D movie in theaters. Also, a smart move since the previous release date is the same as Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 and Sherlock Holmes. Yeah, AatC2, never heard of it since ten minutes ago and that said the first one stunk and ruined Witch Doctor making it rap-esque/modernized it.

1st Iron Man 2 Photo!

Awesome isn't it :P ?

Bayona to Direct Eclipse?

The Hollywood Reporter says that The Orphanage director Juan Antonio Bayona has emerged as one of the finalists to direct Eclipse, the third movie in the Twilight franchise.

A representative for Summit Entertainment, who is producing the series, said that producers were looking at a number of candidates.

Bayona is currently signed on to direct the dystopian thriller Hater for Universal.

Anyone, excited? *Crickets chirping Thought so.

Hartnett and Skarsgard to Sign on to Thor?

The folks over at IESB have apparently received some interesting information regarding the casting of the upcoming Thor movie.

“Generation Kill” and “True Blood” actor Alexander Skarsgard was recently seen having lunch with Thor director Kenneth Branagh at a restaurant in Beverly Hills. Branagh himself has reportedly said that he wants Skarsgard to play Thor, so there could be a chance that lunch was the beginning of casting proceedings.

Actor Channing Tatum is also in the running to play Thor, so only time will tell.

Branagh also is said to have met with Josh Hartnett over the part of Loki, Thor’s evil brother, and is currently on a very short list to play the villain.

Thor is set to hit theaters on July 16th, 2010.